Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway response to refugee crisis?

Options
  • 04-09-2015 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Is anyone aware of anything being organised in Galway to respond to the refugee crisis? I know people have started organising emergency aid in other parts of the country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Like collecting food and medicines for the refugees in Syria?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Some kind of petition or other such nonsense on shopstreet today. I least I think it was in relation to the refugees. I was trying my best to block it out as I walked by.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Some kind of petition or other such nonsense on shopstreet today. I least I think it was in relation to the refugees. I was trying my best to block it out as I walked by.

My suggestion is you should have just got a bag, cut eye holes and a space to breath and put it over your head while you were heading to your desired destination. You wouldn't have seen anything that might upset you then.

Oh Right!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

biko wrote: »
    Like collecting food and medicines for the refugees in Syria?

Refugees come from all over the world, not just from Syria

Since OP started this thread now I assume the refugee crisis they refer to is about Syrians.

And nope OP, I haven't seen or heard about anything being done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Have we not already taken in half of mayo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Type galway calais refugee solidarity into Facebook. Calais is in France and is a port where refugees from all over the world (not just Syria) are stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I think theres enough special offers for the students coming, NUIG has an assistance fund aswell. They'll be fine.

There is a petition here to upscale the amount of people Ireland will take from hundreds to thousands.
    https://uplift.ie/refugee-crisis/
    You can pledge a bed in your house for a refugee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Pledge a bed me hole.

The best thing we could do is send our armed forces off to Syria to help out Assad. Also if the Yanks, Brits and French would stop removing stabilising leaders of countries in that region it would be a help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There's a Galway Calais Refugee Solidarity facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/groups/1495359680756777/ . They should have cooirdinated info on donation drop offs etc that are organised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Pledge a bed in your house, be carefull your house could end up like this.

Pictures from a Hungarian bus used to transport immigrants to the Austrian border.

YsF3HL.jpg

9wg0I1.jpg

dLzUKd.jpg[/QUOTE]

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Yeah, those people fleeing for their lives provided with very few provisions and only possessions that they can carry for their journey of thousands of miles not knowing their fate at the end of it could do with being a bit more tidy eh?:rolleyes:

Some people have very little compassion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Type galway calais refugee solidarity into Facebook. Calais is in France and is a port where refugees from all over the world (not just Syria) are stuck

How are they still refugees though, really, if they are well and safe in Calais? Last time I checked that was not a war-torn town. They're not 'stuck'. It's just that they are already safe in France but they want to go to the UK and they don't want to let them in. Which is their right.

They could simply apply for asylum in France any day but no, they want to go to the UK for whatever reason, probably because it's easier to find jobs there, they can't be bothered learning French etc.. They're just making it difficult for themselves.

It's the same with the others ending up in Greece at the moment, I read that a lot of them have lived in Turkey for a year or more, a lot of them are well off, and they are just coming to Europe because the pay and job situation is better. That's not really what the asylum program is for, to be fair. It's meant to take people in out of immediate life-threatening situations. I don't think they should be so picky, what matters is that they are no longer in any danger. And after living in their host country for a while and getting citizenship they could always move to a country that suits them better because that's what EU citizenship entails.

I just have a hard time sympathising with them if they're cherry-picking. That's what's causing the problems, with these streams of refugees trying to move to the country fo their choice without following the proper procedure.
    Yeah, those people fleeing for their lives provided with very few provisions and only possessions that they can carry for their journey of thousands of miles not knowing their fate at the end of it could do with being a bit more tidy eh?:rolleyes:

Some people have very little compassion.

This is the same situation. They were safe in Hungary, being fed and provided shelter. They don't have to worry about their 'fate' anymore, in Europe nobody's letting them starve. But no, they want to go to Germany, the promised land.

If they'd just stay put, get registered, they could be relocated as part of an EU program (because clearly Hungary can't take them all in by themselves).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

These seem to be economic migrants rather than refugees. I've lived in Hungary for a year and cannot understand what a refugee would not like about it. It's a safe, modern European country with very nice people. If you are fleeing war then Hungary would be a blessing. Not sure why they are insistent on getting to Western European countries. Actually now that I think of it, the welfare system in Hungary is quite poor, wonder if that has anything to do with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

The best thing we could do is send our armed forces off to Syria to help out Assad.

It wasn't long ago that Assad was in the same category of leader as Gaddafi, and the west were doing their best to passively remove him. The media was supporting the rebels.

Now the rebels appear to have become ISIS/IS/ISIL/whatever which are Al-Qaeda on meth, and we kinda half support Assad because he's fighting them.

It's all very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

It wasn't long ago that Assad was in the same category of leader as Gaddafi, and the west were doing their best to passively remove him. The media was supporting the rebels.

Now the rebels appear to have become ISIS/IS/ISIL/whatever which are Al-Qaeda on meth, and we kinda half support Assad because he's fighting them.

It's all very strange.
    You may find it enlightening to read up about that, may improve your understanding of the situation.

The Galway angle has gone amiss in this discussion but as long as discussion flows with mutual respect I don't mind continuing.

Ben, please point out what Squeeonline is wrong about, with sources. This makes for better discussion instead of saying "you're wrong".

biko wrote: »
    The Galway angle has gone amiss in this discussion but as long as discussion flows with mutual respect I don't mind continuing.

Ben, please point out what Squeeonline is wrong about, with sources. This makes for better discussion instead of saying "you're wrong".

The highlighted section of his/her post is where theyre wrong. As can be seen from the article below.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-24403003

So after watching the video on your BBC link it appears I'm not entirely wrong. ISIS and the rebels are still fighting Assad's government. So are we (i.e. the West) now supporting Assad because we don't like ISIS, or are we supporting the Rebels (including the aims of ISIS in this region)?

Or have we decided to not support anyone, let them all kill each other and support the winner who will hopefully keep stability in the region?

As for a Galwegian response, I'm not sure why some small town on the furthest regions of Europe needs to have a unified opinion on this. The government response as part of the EU should be sufficient as far as an official message goes.

Personally, if you want to help, I'm sure the Irish Red Cross or similar orgs will be doing something and you could volunteer time/money. I had friends at Vienna Westbahnhof over the last couple days handing out supplies to the refugees/migrants who needed them.

Is that empty hotel near GMIT still housing some asylum seekers? Is there room for more?

• Advertisement

So after watching the video on your BBC link it appears I'm not entirely wrong. ISIS and the rebels are still fighting Assad's government. So are we (i.e. the West) now supporting Assad because we don't like ISIS, or are we supporting the Rebels (including the aims of ISIS in this region)?

Or have we decided to not support anyone, let them all kill each other and support the winner who will hopefully keep stability in the region?

As for a Galwegian response, I'm not sure why some small town on the furthest regions of Europe needs to have a unified opinion on this. The government response as part of the EU should be sufficient as far as an official message goes.

Personally, if you want to help, I'm sure the Irish Red Cross or similar orgs will be doing something and you could volunteer time/money. I had friends at Vienna Westbahnhof over the last couple days handing out supplies to the refugees/migrants who needed them.

Is that empty hotel near GMIT still housing some asylum seekers? Is there room for more?
    The Corib Great Southern? When was it? You might be thinking of the former Ibis now Nox hotel.

The Corib Great Southern? When was it? You might be thinking of the former Ibis now Nox hotel.

I thought it was the Corrib Great Southern, but I was wrong. Advertiser has it as Great Western and the Eglington in Salthill.
    http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/69208/galway-meeting-on-asylum-seekers-living-conditions

Pictures from a Hungarian bus used to transport immigrants to the Austrian border.

YsF3HL.jpg

9wg0I1.jpg

dLzUKd.jpg
    [/quote]

What's your point?

I've seen cinemas left in the same conditions after most kid's movies.

You put a collection of people in a small space and chances are that they will leave the same mess.

So you think this means that they shouldn't have safety?

What's your point?

I've seen cinemas left in the same conditions after most kid's movies.

You put a collection of people in a small space and chances are that they will leave the same mess.

So you think this means that they shouldn't have safety?

i was going to say still a better service than Dublin Bus :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭joe_six_cans

These seem to be economic migrants rather than refugees. I've lived in Hungary for a year and cannot understand what a refugee would not like about it. It's a safe, modern European country with very nice people. If you are fleeing war then Hungary would be a blessing. Not sure why they are insistent on getting to Western European countries. Actually now that I think of it, the welfare system in Hungary is quite poor, wonder if that has anything to do with it...

i owned a place in budapest for four years from 2005 - 2009 , i would not add to these refuges plight by demanding they remain in hungary

awful place , awful people

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭joe_six_cans

the americans are trying to topple assad as he is a friend of russia who have economic interest in syria , they are indirectly supporting ISIS

the usa should be taking in all these refuges as it was the invasion of iraq which destabalised the region and led to the syrian civil war

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Pledge a bed me hole.

The best thing we could do is send our armed forces off to Syria to help out Assad. Also if the Yanks, Brits and French would stop removing stabilising leaders of countries in that region it would be a help.

Here here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

i owned a place in budapest for four years from 2005 - 2009 , i would not add to these refuges plight by demanding they remain in hungary

awful place , awful people

Every country has its nice and its dreadful people people.

But your comment is consistent with what I've heard from foreign friend who was unfortunately hospitalised there.

'Tis a very small sample, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Thank you for the above. I've quoted this post as I (mistakenly) told someone to "check boards" when they wanted to know about a donation point near them (one of my neighbour is doing it near here). Sad to say it is nearly 2 pages of refugee opinion. Reading back again I see how the title could be taken two ways, but I still find it a bit misleading. I read it as relief response, and where it was happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

There's a refugee collection in the building next to the blu note. There was a meeting there last week when I went by. Looked like a good amount of stuff starting to build up in there

Advertisement