Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Headless Dual Boot (Windows/Unix) with two HDDs?

• 04-09-2015 2:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

I have a PC with 2 hard drives. One with Windows 7. One with Ubuntu.

However it's a home server without a monitor attached. How do I control which OS I boot up? ie, can I leave Windows as default then tell windows to reboot but into the other HDD (Ubuntu)?

Obviously this is easy to select via the BIOS or bootloader but I don't have a monitor attached.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

fúck it. Decided to buy a cheap second hand monitor, that i can just connect when needed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

quarryman wrote: »
    I have a PC with 2 hard drives. One with Windows 7. One with Ubuntu.

However it's a home server without a monitor attached. How do I control which OS I boot up? ie, can I leave Windows as default then tell windows to reboot but into the other HDD (Ubuntu)?

Obviously this is easy to select via the BIOS or bootloader but I don't have a monitor attached.

Why not just run one as host and the other as a virtual machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Why not just run one as host and the other as a virtual machine.

I like to have the real thing tbh. Also the server isn't that powerful, so I don't want to take the hit in performance the VM OS would suffer from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

An IPMI is perfect for this, but you wont have one on non professional use boards.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

someone else should know the answer
    http://alternativeto.net/software/grub2win/

basically all you need to do is to be able to edit the grub menu from inside each OS

a useful first step is to set grub to default to the last used OS

very low tech answer is to use a boot disk to boot to the other OS

high tech would be to use a PXE server and change the config at that end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Ubuntu has the ability to reboot into Windows. I don't suppose the ubuntu install is the main server and you just need to boot into windows from time to time?

If so, then it should be pretty easy.
    Setup Grub to boot into Ubuntu by default.
    When you need to boot Windows, follow these instructions to "reboot to windows".
    I'm not 100% sure on this last step but hopefully, when you then reboot windows , grub will revert back to ubuntu.

EDIT: There is also this windows tool which supposedly allows you to select which OS to boot to. I'd be surprised if it can read the grub loader though. More likely, it just reads the "windows boot manager".

Advertisement