Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,495 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Mark Lawrenson sums up the Stoke game:

We controlled the game. Extremely solid - it's been a bit of a battle at times - but the goal was absolutely top class. The turn on Steve Sidwell was brilliant - that gave Philippe Coutinho the space to run on goal.

Bournemouth at home we scored a great goal, they had a legitimate goal disallowed. But Benteke should of put game beyond them twice to make it comfortable instead of edgy.

Arsenal away, PLayed them off the park, should of had it won at halftime.

Solid against United, played them off the park once we went behind. We should of made it 1-3 in that period . Gomez makes awful decision to dive in and gift them a penalty to put game beyond us.

Naive against West Ham. That early goal we conceded was a sign of things to come, couldn't break down a team with everyone behind ball. If you can't win then don't lose.

Draw at Anfield with Norwich flattered opposition, should of been 2 maybe 3 up when they scored that lucky goal which was more down to our defending that their skill.

The six games up to yesterday were certainly intriguing , if we had the rub of the green we could find ourselves top

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

rob316 wrote: »
    Look if rodgers gets results the fans are happy.
    If rodgers continues to get results his job is safe.

If rodgers doesn't get results the fans aren't happy. If rodgers continues to not get results then his job is not safe.

The conclusion is for everyone to be happy rodgers has to get results.

It's a black and white situation, his goodwill with the fans and club has been used up, there is no in between and no excuses.

Not all fans. There's some who would genuinely try to find fault with the results.

I think Gomez instead of Can in back three makes us stronger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

FYP

That didn't fix my post at all, in fact it completely ruined my post you ruiner you!! :(

Gomez would not have ball watched while Villa scored.
    He is a natural defender, I really believe he should be in back 3 if that is how we are going to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    A shadow bobbed in the window.
    He was snapping the carrier spring
    Over the ledger. His boot pushed off
    And the bicycle ticked, ticked, ticked.

Leaving cert flashbacks, stop it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

izOxchi.png

Lucas heatmap v Villa.

Looks like he drank some radioactive isotonic drink and proceeded to have a slash on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Contemplating becoming a grass if people don't stop acting the prick on here; ruining the thread at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

jpboard1 wrote: »
    According to who?

Why? Do you think he isn't?

Contemplating becoming a grass if people don't stop acting the prick on here; ruining the thread at this stage.

Sorry. I can't help myself. I'm only here for the lols. It keeps me sane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,959 ✭✭✭✭banie01

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Must be how the predator views football. He must hate wet and muddy days.

That's why smart players never turn on the style at Stoke on a wet Tuesday night 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Gomez would not have ball watched while Villa scored.
    He is a natural defender, I really believe he should be in back 3 if that is how we are going to play.

Probably need to be selective when we play him. He's very young.

Why? Do you think he isn't?

Doesn't really matter what we think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Eff all point to this place, then.

No,it probably doesn't but would you humour me and answer the question anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

No one likes a rat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    No one likes a rat

Well that's convinced me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Well that's convinced me.

I would hope so or you'll be taking a flying lesson

Screen-Shot-2014-10-30-at-13.18.11-620x434.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Snitches get stitches.

No,it probably doesn't but would you humour me and answer the question anyway?

For me no. I would re-assess after Christmas period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

mav79 wrote: »
    There were fans unhappy with the performances, but I can't remember anyone looking for him to be sacked after the first two games.

true but the point was either the performancrs wete going to get better and hed be fine. or the resilts got worse and he wohldnt. he did nothing to encourage the pwrformances and the results got wotse.

its not that results are worse, its that performsnces are the same. first us a consequence of the second.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

true but the point was either the performancrs wete going to get better and hed be fine. or the resilts got worse and he wohldnt. he did nothing to encourage the pwrformances and the results got wotse.

Are you posting when drunk? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd love to be able to have a knee jerk reaction to the win and think everything's gonna be ok. As I said before Rodgers is great at getting runs out of the team, but it always seems to collapse in one way or another. Happy after the win. Excited? Definitely not yet.

I'd really love to be able to forget about last season and some of the things I've seen this one. At the very least, it's good that he seems to have woken up and some football was played yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

There's zero chance we only get 1 point from the next 4 games in the league.

You got next weeks lotto numbers??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    No one likes a rat

Can confirm. Found one in the back garden this morning with its head ripped off.

It was dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

kfallon wrote: »
    Are you posting when drunk? :P

My apologies, good Sirs, for the typographical errors in the missive above. It was, as a matter of fact, entered on a mobile device with a particularly miniscule (and consequently annoying) keyboard. Furhtermore, I mistakenly thought that the content of the message would have been the focus of your repsonce, and therefore did not make an explanatory note of it in the aforementioned posting.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

rob316 wrote: »
    Snitches get stitches.

Its all about the warm up!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

You got next weeks lotto numbers??

I wish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I wish

Your crystal ball only tells you football results??

• Advertisement

Your crystal ball only tells you football results??

I don't need a crystal ball, it's called having a bit of knowledge. I'm 100% sure we will get more than 1 point from the next 4 games.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'd love to be able to have a knee jerk reaction to the win and think everything's gonna be ok. As I said before Rodgers is great at getting runs out of the team, but it always seems to collapse in one way or another. Happy after the win. Excited? Definitely not yet.

I'd really love to be able to forget about last season and some of the things I've seen this one. At the very least, it's good that he seems to have woken up and some football was played yesterday.

The attacking performance yesterday was encouraging, especially in the 2nd half. Much of that seemed to be down to Sturridge's return, though. Rodgers doesn't seem to know what to do to make things happen if Sturridge isn't available. Which is, IMHO, unsatisfactory.

And despite Lucas' best efforts, we still looked terribly vulnerable to a counter, and that's against possibly the most ineptly coached side in the division. Far, far too much is expected of the wingbacks in this 3-4-3, and we absolutely will get sliced open down the flanks when either Clyne or Moreno is caught in possession farther up the field. Spurs, Chelsea, City and Everton will take advantage of this, they have the players to do it with ease, and all of whom we're away to in the next 2 months. Maybe with a real defender instead of Can as the right most defender in the back 3, we might get away with it, but not often enough to avoid being done.

Most worryingly from yesterday's post-match interview, and given his persistence with that formation, Rodgers really doesn't seem to get this at all. He was petulant and whiny, blathering on about hysteria and speaking about criticism being undeserved. The comparison of the number of losses as between us and Utd and Chelsea was pretty cringe worthy, reminiscent of the sort of obtuse mental gymnastics you see on here. And no, Brendan, the focus was on you and your tactics and selections as well, not just the players.

The lack of self-reflection and humility was disappointing, as I was still sort of in his corner until as recently as about half way through the 2nd half against Bournemouth. But it was unsurprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I don't need a crystal ball, it's called having a bit of knowledge. I'm 100% sure we will get more than 1 point from the next 4 games.

That's not what you originally said.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    That's not what you originally said.

That's what the Celtic fan quoted. I said there is zero chance we only get 1 point from the next 4 games. Try to keep up x

corwill wrote: »

Most worryingly from yesterday's post-match interview, and given his persistence with that formation, Rodgers really doesn't seem to get this at all. He was petulant and whiny, blathering on about hysteria and speaking about criticism being undeserved. The comparison of the number of losses as between us and Utd and Chelsea was pretty cringe worthy, reminiscent of the sort of obtuse mental gymnastics you see on here. And no, Brendan, the focus was on you and your tactics and selections as well, not just the players.

The lack of self-reflection and humility was disappointing, as I was still sort of in his corner until as recently as about half way through the 2nd half against Bournemouth. But it was unsurprising.

I've stopped watching them, I don't really like the way he goes on, but I feel like it clouds my judgement on him when it's just the performances I try to concentrate on. I've accepted that Rodgers is a bit of an ego, and I wont get annoyed by them if I don't watch them.

That's what the Celtic fan quoted. I said there is zero chance we only get 1 point from the next 4 games. Try to keep up x

Offer still stands.

• Advertisement

Offer still stands.

Name your terms and stake.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I've stopped watching them, I don't really like the way he goes on, but I feel like it clouds my judgement on him when it's just the performances I try to concentrate on. I've accepted that Rodgers is a bit of an ego, and I wont get annoyed by them if I don't watch them.

Yeah, I was the same way for a long time, I told myself that's just the way he handles interviews and pressers. But no-one is putting words in his mouth. When a guy keeps trying to tell you something about himself, over and over, eventually you have to take him at this word. Even if he thinks he's telling you something else.

Name your terms and stake.

Very tempted to say forum access for the good of the thread but we both know you'll be back again.

Just give 50 euro to charity and stick the proof up here, good kid.

Very tempted to say forum access for the good of the thread but we both know you'll be back again.

Just give 50 euro to charity and stick the proof up here, good kid.

Either is good with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Rodgers will be fine is he wins lots of games.
    He will not if we don't win games and play shíte.
    The last 14 months have suggested strongly that he can't get it done, so he needs to go on quite an incredible run to be safe from criticism.

It's not a difficult concept.

If he wins 10 points in the next 4 games, fantastic. He'll still be scrutinised, and rightly so, as he'll have still achieved pretty much nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Thing with Rodgers is he could well go and win those 4 games, then we lose our form and struggle to get it back again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think Gomez instead of Can in back three makes us stronger?

Can was actually really good yesterday when he wasn't defending.

He plays like a top class CM when he's at CB.:P

We'd get better defensively with Gomez, but one would hope that Can won't consistently make the sorts of ****ups that lead to Gestede's first goal, and we gain more against teams that sit deep with an extra support midfielder than we do from shoring up the defence.

I mean, they scored that stupid goal and then we just strolled down the other end and scored effortlessly. That's the payoff - not directly, but still.

I'd definitely consider Gomez for the likes of the Chelsea and Spuds games though.
    Can would be a great option off the bench anywhere on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Rodgers strikes me as a bloke who has read every self help book going and acts like one of these positive thinking gurus. The problems arise when the players see him as a bit of a bullsh*t artist.

Don't forget that even when we were stringing wins together Rodgers took great pleasure in conducting lengthy post match interviews with Geoff Shreeves and the like going into great tactical detail about how he masterminded the win with his tactical plan.

He would explain the benefits of pressing/benefits of playing 3 at the back etc... Harping on about "how he likes to work", which is bizarre when you think about it. Why divulge this important info in meaningless interviews? No other reason to do so other than to blow your own trumpet. Which is the act of a very naive manager.

Different players have been thrown under the bus/used out of position only to be recalled and used as key players in the starting XI. When a player doesn't perform its usually their own problem, but when it all clicks then the manager is a genius.

He had 2 strikers (both scoring 25 goals +) papering over his deficiencies. Suarez was a freak and let's not forget that he didn't want Sturridge at all. The committee have given Rodgers a hiding place in fairness, his own additions in his first season were Joe Allen and Fabio Borini. I'd imagine Coutinho was a committee signing as well.

What's most damning is his inability to organise a defence in all his time here. Freezing players out after errors seems to be his tactic in relation to defenders only to recall them when their replacement balls up in his defensive system.

4-3-3 was preached as the future in pre season (and I'd imagine players were recruited on this assumption) only for him to revert to 3 at the back again (a system he changed to last season before he flogged it to death and was found out after 6-7 games).

When teams figure us out like they did at back end of last season (with 3 at the back) then the manager has played all his hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

One of the main problems with Rodgers management has been losing bottle at the most crucial of times.

When it comes to the crunch and the pressure is on to deliver we have always been found wanting. The fa cup, champs lg and Europa lg runs last yr, the league challenge in 2014 and the appalling capitulation in the top 4 race last yr. It is so obvious now that Rodgers is not the future.

Time for the upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Rodgers strikes me as a bloke who has read every self help book going and acts like one of these positive thinking gurus. The problems arise when the players see him as a bit of a bullsh*t artist.

Don't forget that even when we were stringing wins together Rodgers took great pleasure in conducting lengthy post match interviews with Geoff Shreeves and the like going into great tactical detail about how he masterminded the win with his tactical plan.

He would explain the benefits of pressing/benefits of playing 3 at the back etc... Harping on about "how he likes to work", which is bizarre when you think about it. Why divulge this important info in meaningless interviews? No other reason to do so other than to blow your own trumpet. Which is the act of a very naive manager.

Different players have been thrown under the bus/used out of position only to be recalled and used as key players in the starting XI. When a player doesn't perform its usually their own problem, but when it all clicks then the manager is a genius.

He had 2 strikers (both scoring 25 goals +) papering over his deficiencies. Suarez was a freak and let's not forget that he didn't want Sturridge at all. The committee have given Rodgers a hiding place in fairness, his own additions in his first season were Joe Allen and Fabio Borini. I'd imagine Coutinho was a committee signing as well.

What's most damning is his inability to organise a defence in all his time here. Freezing players out after errors seems to be his tactic in relation to defenders only to recall them when their replacement balls up in his defensive system.

4-3-3 was preached as the future in pre season (and I'd imagine players were recruited on this assumption) only for him to revert to 3 at the back again (a system he changed to last season before he flogged it to death and was found out after 6-7 games).

When teams figure us out like they did at back end of last season (with 3 at the back) then the manager has played all his hand.

You strike as one of those who criticises Rodgers for every single error and then gives him zero credit for things that go well.

How do you know what the players think of him?
    His interviews with Geoff Shreeves are no longer than any other managers as the interview lengths are controlled by Sky.

How do you know if he didn't want Coutinho or Sturridge? Many posters here didn't want Sturridge at the time.

You have to give credit for the good play of 13/14 Yes Suarez was amazing but Rodgers found a system that was attacking, worked and got the best out of them.
    I'll always remember how they played Arsenal off the park in a 5-1 demolition, Suarez didn't score but it was the ultimate team performance and they were exhilarating and you have to give some credit to Rodgers for that.

I'm amazed how many people here just put to much importance on what he says in post match interviews. It's not that important.
    Also, he's had a tough week and was harshly criticised and is entitled to have a pop back in my opinion. I don't see anything wrong in what he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Luis Alberto has an assist for Deportivo again today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Nice to see Brod bare some teeth yesterday.
    Suarez,Sturridge and Sterling had the class to dictate how he set up his team in 13/14.

Last year he lost all 3.It was always going to be a struggle.Ancellotti,while respecting the club's heritage,would run a mile.He's used to having at least 6 world class players at his disposal.Liverpool have 2.
    How many of the Liverpool squad would get in to a Top 4 starting 11?
    City- Sturridge (fully fit)
    Chelsea- Sturridge
    Arsenal- Sturridge,Lucas (based on yesterday)
    United- Sturridge,Coutinho

How the hell is Rodgers under pressure to finish 4th?
    Edge out Spurs and hit 70 points should be his brief.

And forget about the whole 'player recruitment' argument.No one has a clue who makes those decisions these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Whatever about Rodgers tactics etc.I still think he has the players on side especially the English one's. The next month will determine where we are at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Nice to see Brod bare some teeth yesterday.
    Suarez,Sturridge and Sterling had the class to dictate how he set up his team in 13/14.

Last year he lost all 3.It was always going to be a struggle.Ancellotti,while respecting the club's heritage,would run a mile.He's used to having at least 6 world class players at his disposal.Liverpool have 2.
    How many of the Liverpool squad would get in to a Top 4 starting 11?
    City- Sturridge (fully fit)
    Chelsea- Sturridge
    Arsenal- Sturridge,Lucas (based on yesterday)
    United- Sturridge,Coutinho

How the hell is Rodgers under pressure to finish 4th?
    Edge out Spurs and hit 70 points should be his brief.

And forget about the whole 'player recruitment' argument.No one has a clue who makes those decisions these days.

We have 2 world class players? Really?
    Coutinho isn't at that level yet and Danny isn't either. Unless you're thinking of other players?
    World class is a frequently misused term.

Seems like we generally don't really play coherent football without Sturridge. That's really thin ice to be on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement