Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

There are more letters in Coutinho's name than Mata yes

But in terms of football ability Coutinho isn't as good as Juan Mata, not a chance. Coutinho looks good in a Liverpool team like Sterling did and when he started playing with better players he has been a class below, like Coutinho if he moves
    Mata does nothing for Spain when he makes the squad due to injuries . Mourinho got rid as he is a liability due to his lack of pace & strength. Coutinho is much better. Does everything Mata does but much quicker. Once Coutinho improves further he will unfortunately be a great player for Barca most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

rarnes1 wrote: »
    First live game of the season for me :)

Delighted with the result.

Defensively we are still a mess. I've conceded this will always be the way under Rodgers.

Attacking wise Sturridge was a joy. He's still a tad rusty which is mad. Really hope he stays fit as he's a joy to watch tbh.

Lucas was my motm.

Daniel Sturridge he was running through on goal
    Singing "Do wah diddy, diddy, dum diddy do"
    Passed a defender and he slots it in the net

:)

What did you think of ings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

BR Post match presser.
    He wouldn't be drawn on the "hysteria" from media outside the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

K-9 wrote: »
    Speaking of context:

Alternative updated table:

City. +2
    United. +1.5
    Arsenal. -2
    Liverpool. -3.5
    Spurs. -3.5
    Chelsea. -5

Assuming Chelsea will improve, not looking great. Still though 4 of the top 6 on - figures.

United +2
    City +1
    Arsenal -1
    Spurs -2.5
    Liverpool -3
    Chelsea -6

Still poor stuff and Chelsea keep getting worse!

One thing that is clear, even now, is how bad we've been against the lower teams. The target for the non top 7 teams at home is an average of 2.5 points per game, 32 points in a season, or only dropping 7 points.

We've dropped 5 already which means we've no wriggle room at all really in those matches. The target is 2 ppg against the top 7 at home so not exactly easy to make any deficiency up there either.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

What did you think of ings.

I thought he was a workhorse. He deserved a goal but didn't get unfortunately.
    Showed some good link up with Sturridge.
    There was one incident where he tracked back about 80 yards to make a challenge then 10 secs later he was up the other end trying to get on the end of an attack.
    The fans love to see that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

MD1990 wrote: »
    Mata does nothing for Spain when he makes the squad due to injuries . Mourinho got rid as he is a liability due to his lack of pace & strength. Coutinho is much better. Does everything Mata does but much quicker. Once Coutinho improves further he will unfortunately be a great player for Barca most likely.

Moreno as good as Shaw
    Clyne as good as Darmian
    Origi as good as Martial

Now Coutinho far better than Mata

You are having an awful time with these idiotic statements. And you just gave another one there, admiting Mourinho sold him because he didn't fit his style of play, Mata is still a great footballer.

36 goals and 38 assists from midfield in 112 PL starts says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

rarnes1 wrote: »
    First live game of the season for me :)

Delighted with the result.

Defensively we are still a mess. I've conceded this will always be the way under Rodgers.

Attacking wise Sturridge was a joy. He's still a tad rusty which is mad. Really hope he stays fit as he's a joy to watch tbh.

Lucas was my motm.

Daniel Sturridge he was running through on goal
    Passed a defender and he slots it in the net

:)

Liking that Sturridge chant:D (and about time) Nice and original too so should be stolen by other clubs soon enough:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

LOAN WATCH now with three added players

Markovic (Fenerbache) - Started game but subbed on 38 mins with injury

He had this great run and near assist as well (warning, twitter video):
    https://twitter.com/LaScousia/status/648174813358370816

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Clyne as good as Darmian

I wont get into a huge debate here but Clyne is at least on par with Darmian, and lets say for the sake of argument you disagree and think Darmian is better it would be by very little at most

NukaCola wrote: »
    I wont get into a huge debate here but Clyne is at least on par with Darmian, and lets say for the sake of argument you disagree and think Darmian is better it would be by very little at most

Context is key the statement was made in the United thread after Darmian had one poor performance, I agree they are close and Darmian has probably just edged it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Clyne was brilliant until he signed for Liverpool sure NukaCola

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Rayne knows that.

I said I think 10 points is a possibility.

I said there is zero chance of only getting 1 point.

Learn to read if you're going to try and be smart.

I'd say you though there was zero chance of 1 point from West Ham and Norwich plus penalties in the League Cup.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Context is key the statement was made in the United thread after Darmian had one poor performance, I agree they are close and Darmian has probably just edged it

What was the statement? Was it that Clyne was better than Darmian, because thats not an outlandish claim. I'd agree with it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Moreno as good as Shaw
    Clyne as good as Darmian
    Origi as good as Martial

You are having an awful time with these idiotic statements. And you just gave another one there, admiting Mourinho sold him because he didn't fit his style of play, Mata is still a great footballer.

He is better than Shaw because he is available. How many games did he miss last year. Who knows how Origi vs Martial will go although in fairness Martial looks pretty lethal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Moreno as good as Shaw
    Clyne as good as Darmian
    Origi as good as Martial

What business have you got being over here other than to throw in snide remarks? Intelligent, informative discussion my arse now get back in your box

What was the statement? Was it that Clyne was better than Darmian, because thats not an outlandish claim. I'd agree with it anyway.

Yes I am mistaken it should have read Clyne better than Darmian

Full back is the least important position on the pitch, you can win trophies with a semi competent full back, I think Clyne is good on occasion but is mostly okay-ish. He won't need to be replaced but isn't going to set the world alight, Darmian looks like he will remain a level above and possibly become world class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,392 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

niallo27 wrote: »
    He is better than Shaw because he is available. How many games did he miss last year. Who knows how Origi vs Martial will go although in fairness Martial looks pretty lethal.

Who's a better player, me or Luke Shaw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Full back is the least important position on the pitch, you can win trophies with a semi competent full back, I think Clyne is good on occasion but is mostly okay-ish. He won't need to be replaced but isn't going to set the world alight, Darmian looks like he will remain a level above and possibly become world class

As I pointed out before, you wanted United to sign Clyne. Why would you want your team to sign an okay-ish player?

For the record. Both are very good players, and the argument can be made for either or; but don't change your mind on a player cos he signed for a team that you hate; it ruins your credibility as a poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's messed up that this is way better than what was on the thread earlier! Keep it up :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

It was nice to see the team arrive as well, couldn't believe the amount of scandi's over there.

The taxi driver (his son great mates with Gerrard) who has 3 season tickets, was saying that there were 1000 season tickets picked up by Norwegians.

"Scandi's". Did you walk back through Dublin airport with a copy of the Echo under your arm and a scouse twang to your voice?

Thing that always strikes me is that those who give off about the Scandanavians going to games etc are the same that'll slate the Irish for similar once they're chatting to someone else

Liam O wrote: »

At the moment or in general. Hargreaves for example could have been a great player but he was no good to utd because he was always injured

In a game of "three and in" right now, I'd reckon you'd be in next

As I pointed out before, you wanted United to sign Clyne. Why would you want your team to sign an okay-ish player?

For the record. Both are very good players, and the argument can be made for either or; but don't change your mind on a player cos he signed for a team that you hate; it ruins your credibility as a poster.

Ah this old chestnut
    The more I watch of Clyne the more I think we could do better for the price involved, €25 million surely there is someone better out there in Europe

This was in May so well before Liverpool got in the mix I believe?

Anyway we did end up finding someone who has been better and should continue to be.

At the moment or in general. Hargreaves for example could have been a great player but he was no good to utd because he was always injured

Well your parameter for how good a player is seems to be based around whether they had their leg broken recently or not?

Well your parameter for how good a player is seems to be based around whether they had their leg broken recently or not?

He only played 16 games last year. He has issues. Who know how the leg break will affect him.

Availability kind of ruins the Sturridge point, which was what started the whole size comparing thing though.

Moreno has been quite good for us so far this season, still a bit dodgy at the back but very impressive attacking wise. Now, if we could only exploit and capitalise on it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

LiamoSail wrote: »
    "Scandi's". Did you walk back through Dublin airport with a copy of the Echo under your arm and a scouse twang to your voice?

Thing that always strikes me is that those who give off about the Scandanavians going to games etc are the same that'll slate the Irish for similar once they're chatting to someone else

He's not giving out about them, just saying there were a lot of them. Scandi's is a colloquial term often used to describe more than one person from Scandinavia. There are always lots of them at games, same as there are always lots of Irish.

Chill out a bit, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Moreno as good as Shaw
    Clyne as good as Darmian
    Origi as good as Martial

who said that about Origi? Not idiotic at all. Coutinho was voted by fellow players as one of the 6 best players in the league last season that says it all really. Fellow players plaoying against week in week out tae him very highly. Mata was not included.

• Advertisement

who said that about Origi? Not idiotic at all. Coutinho was voted by fellow players as one of the 6 best players in the league last season that says it all really. Fellow players plaoying against week in week out tae him very highly. Mata was not included.

Mata was Chelsea player of the year the years they won CL and Europa afaik, listen you are wrong. Coutinho is talented but he's not at Mata's level, and it remains to be seen if he can get there let alone surpass it

5starpool wrote: »
    He's not giving out about them, just saying there were a lot of them. Scandi's is a colloquial term often used to describe more than one person from Scandinavia. There are always lots of them at games, same as there are always lots of Irish.

Chill out a bit, imo.

Didn't mean to imply he was giving out about them. My point was that plenty do, and they're the same that give off about the Irish that go over.

As for the term "Scandi" itself, it's a term I've only ever heard in Liverpool.

Mata was the best transfer ever, well now that DiMaria and Falcao are gone anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Ha! Utter bollocks. Based on the fact that he plays with us, he has a better chance of becoming world class - "looks like he will remain a level above". On what basis have you rated Darmian above Clyne and on what basis do you suppose he will remain there beyond the small sample size of games you've seen him play for United?
    Unless of course you'd been following him at Torino as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Mata was Chelsea player of the year the years they won CL and Europa afaik, listen you are wrong. Coutinho is talented but he's not at Mata's level, and it remains to be seen if he can get there let alone surpass it

Mata has 4 years on Coutinho. It's a matter of time before he surpasses it.

Darmian looks like he will remain a level above and possibly become world class

Remain a level above? He's not a level above now and I see nothing to suggest he will be. He's turning 26 and looks pretty ordinary/decent.

World class? Where are you seeing this?

Right now, at a year and a half younger Clyne is easily on par, and I think is better, both at going forward and in defence, Darmian is close but I've seen nothing that suggests either would be "World class" anyway if we are being honest.

• Advertisement

Yep, those awards are always spot on. As you yourself will attest to.
    I only just realised Aguero wasn't on the PFA shortlist. Unbelieveable but it shows how the voting is judged moe on form between Jan-April than the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

WTF is wrong with people believing one player is better than another, it's their f*cking opinion. Clyne or Darmian?? Couthino or Mata?? not too much between these players so its all subjective. It's not like comparing NGog to Van Nistelrooy.
    God dammit this f*cking thread would drive you crazy at times.

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Didn't mean to imply he was giving out about them. My point was that plenty do, and they're the same that give off about the Irish that go over.

As for the term "Scandi" itself, it's a term I've only ever heard in Liverpool.

Scandi is a common enough term here too, at least among poker players anyhow, as there are lots of Scandi's who come here for poker regularly too.

We're all 'wools' to lots of people from Liverpool anyhow, doesn't bother me when I go over anyhow.

Mata has 4 years on Coutinho. It's a matter of time before he surpasses it.

Mata was Coutinho's age when he won the CL, it was a mistake coming to United in hindsight because the collapse has set his career back. Playing in transitional teams under different managers with different philosophies just before his peak years has stalled him.

To people who use what players have won to say they are better than others, I have two words.

Djimi Traore.

• Advertisement

mav79 wrote: »
    WTF is wrong with people believing one player is better than another, it's their f*cking opinion. Clyne or Darmian?? Couthino or Mata?? not too much between these players so its all subjective. It's not like comparing NGog to Van Nistelrooy.
    God dammit this f*cking thread would drive you crazy at times.

Clyne or Darmian maybe, to suggest Coutinho is at the level of Mata is ridiculous imo. When Mata was Coutinhos age he was a standout attacking player at the European Champions. Coutinho is pretty far from there atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I always laugh when I see people taking the effort to actually go back through someone's old posts to find something of use for the current argument

searching-for-trash.gif

Seriously like, get a life

You'd want to be mental to think anything otherwise to be honest.

Mata is just so much more clinical, both with his final ball and his finishing.

You could argue elements of Coutinho's game are better - strength on the ball, pace, dribbling, work rate or what have you, but the most important thing is what those kinds of players do with the final ball or the finish and Mata is streets ahead on that front, as was evidenced by Coutinho's recent atrocious efforts on goal and how Mata basically single-handedly made **** of us last year against Utd.

Mata's not perfect and he's a liability in some senses that has to be covered for, but his output is very very good.

I think Coutinho would appear to have more talent and he could definitely surpass what Mata has done on an individual basis but the notion that he's the finished article, that he's better than Mata when there's very simple and quantifiable reasons why that isn't the case, and we're about to lose him to Barca for £50m seems daft to me when you compare the talent there that would keep his arse firmly on the bench.

Clyne or Darmian maybe, to suggest Coutinho is at the level of Mata is ridiculous imo. When Mata was Coutinhos age he was a standout attacking player at the European Champions. Coutinho is pretty far from there atm.

Why was he sold though. I don't think he will ever reach that level again. I didn't realise he had scored so many goals in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

I think this whole "Mata bashing" might have something to do with with something that happened some Sunday around last March.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Jesus, this is worse than when I post.

K-9 wrote: »
    Availability kind of ruins the Sturridge point, which was what started the whole size comparing thing though.

Moreno has been quite good for us so far this season, still a bit dodgy at the back but very impressive attacking wise. Now, if we could only exploit and capitalise on it.

I can't remember him really putting a foot wrong yet this season. He hasn't been tested the way we know would cause him problems.

It's all about horses for courses really - Moreno suits us in this system on both attack, because he's basically a winger, and in defence, because he's a whippet and has a glorious sliding tackle on him (there was one yesterday that caused me to make involuntary squealing sounds).

Funnily enough, I think Clyne has shone less in this role, despite probably being the better player.

However, having Lucas, Clyne, Sakho and Skrtel as our "back 4" is what's freeing Can and Moreno to push on so much.
    You can't really attack with 6 defenders on the pitch, so we only use them that way when we're defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Jesus, this is worse than when I post.

No. No its not.

x43r0 wrote: »
    I always laugh when I see people taking the effort to actually go back through someone's old posts to find something of use for the current argument

Seriously like, get a life

It was extremely tough for me to search PFA in posts by MD1990 alright and quote it. Almost took as long as your post and gif search I'm sure. But go on.

I think this whole "Mata bashing" might have something to do with with something that happened some Sunday around last March.

Don't think anyone is bashing him. Being compared with couthinio is actually a huge compliment to him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement