Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,392 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Gbear wrote: »
    You'd want to be mental to think anything otherwise to be honest.

Mata is just so much more clinical, both with his final ball and his finishing.

You could argue elements of Coutinho's game are better - strength on the ball, pace, dribbling, work rate or what have you, but the most important thing is what those kinds of players do with the final ball or the finish and Mata is streets ahead on that front, as was evidenced by Coutinho's recent atrocious efforts on goal and how Mata basically single-handedly made **** of us last year against Utd.

Mata's not perfect and he's a liability in some senses that has to be covered for, but his output is very very good.

I think Coutinho would appear to have more talent and he could definitely surpass what Mata has done on an individual basis but the notion that he's the finished article, that he's better than Mata when there's very simple and quantifiable reasons why that isn't the case, and we're about to lose him to Barca for £50m seems daft to me when you compare the talent there that would keep his arse firmly on the bench.

No you're wrong, Mata is terrible because Chelsea sold him. For 37m. To Manchester United. Clearly in decline.

I do enjoy watching Coutinho. A real sense of not knowing if he is going to hit the top corner or row z. Looks great when it comes off and he is getting a bit more consistent. I think he could make the step up but I don't think he'd see as much of the ball at any other team so it would have to be at Liverpool he does it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Liam O wrote: »
    No you're wrong, Mata is terrible because Chelsea sold him. For 37m. To Manchester United. Clearly in decline.

I do enjoy watching Coutinho. A real sense of not knowing if he is going to hit the top corner or row z. Looks great when it comes off and he is getting a bit more consistent. I think he could make the step up but I don't think he'd see as much of the ball at any other team so it would have to be at Liverpool he does it.

LightheartedSmoothHammerheadshark.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

LightheartedSmoothHammerheadshark.gif

At least 8 attempts against Carlisle ended up in the kop/Anfield Rd end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Jesus wept this is like toddlers lumping sh1te at each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Gbear wrote: »
    You'd want to be mental to think anything otherwise to be honest.

Mata is just so much more clinical, both with his final ball and his finishing.

You could argue elements of Coutinho's game are better - strength on the ball, pace, dribbling, work rate or what have you, but the most important thing is what those kinds of players do with the final ball or the finish and Mata is streets ahead on that front, as was evidenced by Coutinho's recent atrocious efforts on goal and how Mata basically single-handedly made **** of us last year against Utd.

Mata's not perfect and he's a liability in some senses that has to be covered for, but his output is very very good.

I think Coutinho would appear to have more talent and he could definitely surpass what Mata has done on an individual basis but the notion that he's the finished article, that he's better than Mata when there's very simple and quantifiable reasons why that isn't the case, and we're about to lose him to Barca for £50m seems daft to me when you compare the talent there that would keep his arse firmly on the bench.
    You have not been watching Barca then. Very very thin squad . Iniesta has to be rotated & Rakitic is off form. Coutinho would get lots of games & I think he would get in to there 11. Suarez & Neymar both pretty much said they want him at Barca.

Aww Tipsy, why did you delete your post telling me to post in the United thread?

At least 8 attempts against Carlisle ended up in the kop/Anfield Rd end.

Well if you exclude those 8 attempts he didn't miss any.

MD1990 wrote: »
    You have not been watching Barca then. Very very thin squad . Iniesta has to be rotated & Rakitic is off form. Coutinho would get lots of games & I think he would get in to there 11. Suarez & Neymar both pretty much said they want him at Barca.

I've already resigned myself to the fact that he will be leaving next summer, I just hope he goes about it in the right way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

But the big question lads is "who's better Mighty Red of Fred the Red"

• Advertisement

Well if you exclude those 8 attempts he didn't miss any.

That's not what you said the first time now was it?

A performance Mata could only dream of.

Mata may be more be clinical but thats the only thing he has over Coutinho.

A performance Mata could only dream of.

Mata may be more be clinical but thats the only thing he has over Coutinho.

I'm incredibly excited to see him linking up with Suarez, Neymar and Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Mata wins. Stop being ridiculous.

Clyne and Darmian? Toss a coin.

Now, let's move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

suicide_booth_futurama.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Some pretty mad quotes from rodgers in the media tonight, he has lost it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Mata all day long if we're being honest.

I wouldn't be as worried as others about Coutinho leaving, he needs major improvements in consistency before someone like Barca come calling, he can be incredibly frustrating in a lot of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I'm incredibly excited to see him linking up with Suarez, Neymar and Messi.

Your excited to see arguable Liverpool's best player playing for another club?
    Are you really a Liverpool fan?

klose wrote: »
    Some pretty mad quotes from rodgers in the media tonight, he has lost it.

What outside group is he talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He said there is a group of people who want him out of the job

Probably the fans Brendan

The Illuminati.

• Advertisement

Viktor Fagerström ‏@ViktorFagerLFC 3m3 minutes ago
    Rodgers: "I am the same man who nearly won us the league, but better. If you give me the tools I’ll do the work."

Viktor Fagerström ‏@ViktorFagerLFC 1m1 minute ago
    Rodgers: "I think I’ve shown, without being arrogant, that with a talented group of players I can compete at the top end."

BR: "There are very short memories in football. LFC was 8th when I got here. We built a team to excite people & should've won the league."

I think Rodgers has lost the plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Tbh, if he didn't think that way, I'd be a lot more worried for the man.

Knex. wrote: »
    Tbh, if he didn't think that way, I'd be a lot more worried for the man.

He's blaming everyone but himself. He's saying the players he has are not good enough, well he bought them so he can fcuk right off.

BR: "There are very short memories in football. LFC was 8th when I got here. "

Someone should tell him we're in 8th at the moment or he could end up looking silly.

I'm sure people will have ****fits about the quotes but I've no problem with them at all, in fact I actually like Rodgers and how he talks about the club so I'm in the minority no doubt. What ye gonna do!

Rodgers: "I am the same man who nearly won us the league, but better. If you give me the tools I’ll do the work."

Rodgers: "I think I’ve shown, without being arrogant, that with a talented group of players I can compete at the top end."

BR: "There are very short memories in football. LFC was 8th when I got here. We built a team to excite people & should've won the league."

The 2nd quote is poor. Kind of like blaming the players despite nearly all his signings being very poor. And the player he didn't want (Sturridge) is probably the player who coud save his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Someone should tell him we're in 8th at the moment or he could end up looking silly.

And we were 6th alphabetically when he got here.

I'm sure people will have ****fits about the quotes but I've no problem with them at all, in fact I actually like Rodgers and how he talks about the club so I'm in the minority no doubt. What ye gonna do!

He's let his mouth get the better of him again.

Win a game and suddenly he's Billy big balls. Where was he when we were absolutely shite against Carlisle?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

He's talking shyte.

edit: the App really shags up other languages?

The 2nd quote is poor. Kind of like blaming the players despite nearly all his signings being very poor. And the player he didn't want (Sturridge) is probably the player who coud save his job.

The first quote is bizarre. How is he a better coach now than when he got us to second place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I'm sorry but he can go f*ck himself if he's going to take sole ownership for nearly winning the league.

First lesson in football: It's a team game with 11 players on the pitch and five on the bench.

He's let his mouth get the better of him again.

Win a game and suddenly he's Billy big balls. Where was he when we were absolutely shite against Carlisle?

Hiding in his office.

He's talking shyte.

edit: the App really shags up other languages?

I saw that. I thought you were having a stroke.

There is no I in team Brendan !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,933 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Rodgers: "I think I’ve shown, without being arrogant, that with a talented group of players I can compete at the top end

Not the club.

Ah lads. Getting worked up over nothing.

If FSG have no intention of sacking him, then its far better for Liverpool that he still has confidence in himself and his methods, than if he became totally meek.

All the top managers in the game back themselves like this, especially when it gets messy. Not saying that Rodgers is a top manager, but the point still stands. If he was unsure in statements and lacking confidence, everyone would be quoting him saying he's done, defeatist language, or that its clear he has no business managing a top club, etc.

Ye're blowing this out of proportion because you're annoyed with how things are panning out. These quotes are not the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

He said there is a group of people who want him out of the job

Probably the fans Brendan

It's definitely not non fans, god love him. They seem happy enough.

Rodgers: "I think I’ve shown, without being arrogant, that with a talented group of players I can compete at the top end

Not the club.

I would imagine the question aimed at him was probably at a personal level, such as "Do you think you're still capable to manage here", etc.

Stop making me defend Rodgers, for God sake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

• Advertisement

Thread does not disappoint!

Knex the voice of reason.

I would imagine the question aimed at him was probably at a personal level, such as "Do you think you're still capable to manage here", etc.

Stop making me defend Rodgers, for God sake!

So Brendan who nearly won the league two seasons ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Quote fine. Results bad.

So Brendan who nearly won the league two seasons ago?

In the context, its fine. You can't have it both ways, anyway. Wanting him out for results, but on the flip side, giving out when he takes credit for results in a different time period.

Its all or nothing.

As Grayditch said, quotes are fine. Results are bad. The latter is clouding the former here for many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Ah lads. Getting worked up over nothing.

If FSG have no intention of sacking him, then its far better for Liverpool that he still has confidence in himself and his methods, than if he became totally meek.

All the top managers in the game back themselves like this, especially when it gets messy. Not saying that Rodgers is a top manager, but the point still stands. If he was unsure in statements and lacking confidence, everyone would be quoting him saying he's done, defeatist language, or that its clear he has no business managing a top club, etc.

Ye're blowing this out of proportion because you're annoyed with how things are panning out. These quotes are not the issue.

He's lost the plot a little, Mourinho wasn't calling himself a special one before he won the champions league was he?

There's confidence but Rodgers crosses that line by such a distance he's closer to God complex at this stage

I think Rodgers is saying I because he is referencing about all the specualtion about his future as manager. Because if he had that sort of attitude around the players they would stop playing for him.

• Advertisement

He's lost the plot a little, Mourinho wasn't calling himself a special one before he won the champions league was he?

There's confidence but Rodgers crosses that line by such a distance he's closer to God complex at this stage

He hasn't come out and called himself the special one though, has he?

He simply restated his belief that he can win titles and used the most tangible thing he could to reinforce that statement - 2013/2014.

Nobody had an issue when he was first signed as manager when he said he believed he could win the league, did they?

There'd have been a commotion then if he lacked confidence and conviction, I don't see how that ever changes at a top club.

I still want him out, but the reaction to this is nuts.

Is he having a pop at the owners when he says he doesn't have the right tools? Are they going to be happy that after 4 years and £300 million spent he's basically saying the squad isn't good enough?

In the context, its fine. You can't have it both ways, anyway. Wanting him out for results, but on the flip side, giving out when he takes credit for results in a different time period.

Its all or nothing.

As Grayditch said, quotes are fine. Results are bad. The latter is clouding the former here for many.

What has he actually achieved in 3 seasons as Liverpool manager?

Results suggest nothing.

Rodgers is all smoke and mirrors.

I think Rodgers is saying I because he is referencing about all the specualtion about his future as manager. Because if he had that sort of attitude around the players they would stop playing for him.

Hardly though. Not unless he shows complete incompetence in the training ground, which I doubt he does.

Top tier club managers all over the world talk like this, especially when their back is to the wall. You have to back yourself.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement