Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

How is he an excellent coach when there hasn't been a single player bought in the last 2 years who has improved their form under Rodgers? In fact nearly every player has regressed.

Suaraz, Sterling, Hendo all improved under Rodgers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

How is he an excellent coach when there hasn't been a single player bought in the last 2 years who has improved their form under Rodgers? In fact nearly every player has regressed.

Jordan henderson has come along leaps and bounds under rodgers it must be said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Mr.H wrote: »
    Suaraz, Sterling, Hendo all improved under Rodgers

Read again, bought in the last 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You seriously cant believe that? Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling, Henderson, Coutinho all have improved under him.

EDIT: The greater question should be asked is why haven't the new recruits improved. My guess is Rodgers never wanted most or doesn't trust them.

He's proven he cant manage our club but he can coach be fair.

Read again, bought in the last 2 years.

I know what you said but gave the benefit of the doubt that surely you dont mean only players that are bought can benefit from coaching??

Surely players bought are less hoped to need coaching than those already at the club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Can? Got his first full International cap a few months back also as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

You would think we start to prepare better for the inevitable time that one of our star players leave. I mean Porto, Dortmund and Atletico are able to manage this, why can't we.

For a club that is so old we are incredibly green at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,932 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

ricero wrote: »
    Jordan henderson has come along leaps and bounds under rodgers it must be said

He was highly regarded and we paid a lot of money for him at the time you could say this was his natural progression as he aged.

I actually think Rodgers probably a very good coach just not a manager.

Of the 31 players brought to the club while Rodgers is manager most stayed at the same level or regressed.

Coutinho could be seen really as the only player to have gotten better under Rodgers.

He was highly regarded and we paid a lot of money for him at the time you could say this was his natural progression as he aged.

Of the 31 players brought to the club while Rodgers is manager most stayed at the same level or regressed.

Coutinho could be seen really as the only player to have gotten better under Rodgers.

Sterling and Suarez both got ALOT better under Rodgers

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

So when Suarez was signed from Ajax he was regarded as the 3rd best player in the world?

Sturridge was regarded as Englands best striker?

Stop talking rubbish.

Sterling and Suarez both got ALOT better under Rodgers

So two players that are hugely regarded in world football go better under a coach shocker one the club paid millions for as a 15/16 year old the other one was one of the top South American footballers in Europe when he signed for the club.

What about the other 40 to 50 players he worked it at Liverpool most have stood still or regressed.

He said himself yesterday...
    Rodgers: "I think I’ve shown, without being arrogant, that with a talented group of players I can compete at the top end

What can he do when he has 31 average to good players that he oversaw come into the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Dalglish qualified for europe through a cup

The cretin. He should have forsaken the cup and concentrated on finishing 6th.

His league form was a joke. Rodgers inherited old players who were on huge wages. He reduced the average age by about 5 years.

We were in 5th place in February that year 4 points behind 4th place. We then went on a bad run. If Rodgers is being allowed to go on a bad run from March to the end of the season why don't you give Dalglish the same benefit.
    We had 7 players over 28 at the club when Rodgers took over

When you have a squad of 20 odd players at your disposal having 7 players over 28 is not a bad thing. It's called having experience in the squad.
    As for Rodgers in Europe we topped our group.................... We lost on away goals.............

We finished on 10 points, the same as the two teams below us. We scored one more goal than the team that was third.

We got knocked out in the first knock out stage
    That was a huge improvement on the season before
    Seeing as we were not in Europe the season before of course it was an improvement.

https://twitter.com/FootyML/status/648457143759294464

Barrett: John Henry is not the pivotal figure that he once was. Mike Gordon's influence is now strongest. He has a hands on role at #LFC

https://twitter.com/LFCZA/status/648456013348249600

Barrett: #Klopp is willing to talk to #LFC, a club which has finished outside of top 4 in 5 of last 6 seasons.

Go to his time line for more. Barrett is doing a chat thinking..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Suarez, Henderson, Coutinho, Sturridge, Sterling, Flanagan are all players who progressed under Rodgers.

Some of the stuff said against Rodgers here really is just unjustified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

potato soup and toasted ham and cheese sambo

• Advertisement

Not replacing Suaraz - BR's fault
    Losing Gerrard from the club - Probably BR's fault
    Not getting a replacement for an injury prone Sturridge before last season - BR's fault
    Making no improvements to the defence while at the club - BR's fault

Replacing Suarez and an injury prone Sturridge to a degree that the replacements would be anyway like who thy are replacing is nigh on impossible imo.

Suarez is in the op 3 of World football, Sturridge is in the top 3 of PL strikers easily, neither are easily replaceable. £30m gets Lukaku, Bony or Benteke, Sturridge is better than them easily, really really difficult to replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

murpho999 wrote: »
    Suarez, Henderson, Coutinho, Sturridge, Sterling, Flanagan are all players who progressed under Rodgers.

The stadium is progressing nicely too.
    Thanks Rodgers.

It one's extreme to another, you are either PRO RODGERS or ANTI RODGERS, there is no in between, I try to see the good and bad as do some other posters, and I suggest others should do too it makes for a far better thread.

All were bought in the last 2 years I take it? Can you read? I mean I repeated the last 2 years thing but I don't think you understand it.

All were bought in the last 2 years I take it? Can you read? I mean I repeated the last 2 years thing but I don't think you understand it.

Does he not coach players that weren't bought in the last 2 years?

Danny Ings looks better than he did last season, does he fit your criteria? Joe Gomez?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Mike Gordon was brought into the Liverpool side of things around the same time as Brendan Rodgers. How closely is his reputation within FSG tied to that of Rodgers?

Does he not coach players that weren't bought in the last 2 years?

Danny Ings looks better than he did last season, does he fit your criteria? Joe Gomez?

Ings looks the same as the Burnley player he was, Rodgers has barely used him when he should have been playing Ings/Benteke up front while Sturridge was injured. Gomez isn't getting his chance either with Rodgers going with the brilliant Lovren.

Gordon is in a power struggle at the Red Sox as well.

He has become the second biggest shareholder in FSG this year as well.

Ings looks the same as the Burnley player he was, Rodgers has barely used him when he should have been playing Ings/Benteke up front while Sturridge was injured.

Lies.

And you forgot your opinion on Joe Gomez.

That's a cop out of a statement and if anything is an even further indictment of the previous manager. We just forget Sturridge, Coutinho and Sakho because it suits your argument? I think a lot of the players bought just proved not good enough for the club not that Rodgers couldn't work with them.

We buy from the middle shelf for big fees, its natural we are going to buy a lot of players not good enough while finding a couple of diamonds.

Ask yourself this, the players Rodger has deemed not good enough have they went on to do anything of note for their new club/clubs?

Rodgers has a portion of the blame for what goes on at LFC but nearly all the noises that come out from inside the club say it is badly managed, and recruitment is right at the top of problems. All potential but how are you suppose to compete at the top of the table or in Europe when your competitors don't work on the same policy?

You and others are blinded by ye're hate for Rodgers, when there is so much more going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Knex. wrote: »
    If we're playing 352, I'd far prefer Gomez in as the 3rd CB than Can, tbh.

He's fine when he's facing the play, but dreadful at defending from crosses. Both when the cross is from his side, or when he's at the back post defending the ball in. The latter in particular he's a nightmare at.

With Henderson out, we probably need Can to step up and become more disciplined in a midfield role anyway, as we lack that speed and mobility. He has a lot to learn though.

Ye I feel can should be played dm in all cup games to get him switched on to that role. Lucas is the best option at the minute but is too slow to cover the gaps that appear in the current formation. As evidenced by the first goal on Saturday Lucas knew what he needed to do but didn't have the pace to do it.

Lies.

Ah great. We're back to this "lies" thing.

We were all dreadfully missing it.

Lies.

He was on the bench for the first 3 games of the season and was played as a right of midfield defensive player against United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

rob316 wrote: »
    It one's extreme to another, you are either PRO RODGERS or ANTI RODGERS, there is no in between, I try to see the good and bad as do some other posters, and I suggest others should do too it makes for a far better thread.

Yes, agree totally.

Thread is in two camps but I find it unfair of anti-Rodgers posters to argue that he has achieved nothing and has no talent.

Comments like 'Suarez was responsible for 13/14 title challenge are unfair to Rogers and other players such as Coutinho, Gerrard, Sturridge and Sterling on that season.

• Advertisement

dogbert27 wrote: »
    The cretin. He should have forsaken the cup and concentrated on finishing 6th.

We were in 5th place in February that year 4 points behind 4th place. We then went on a bad run. If Rodgers is being allowed to go on a bad run from March to the end of the season why don't you give Dalglish the same benefit.

When you have a squad of 20 odd players at your disposal having 7 players over 28 is not a bad thing. It's called having experience in the squad.

We finished on 10 points, the same as the two teams below us. We scored one more goal than the team that was third.

We got knocked out in the first knock out stage

Seeing as we were not in Europe the season before of course it was an improvement.

I did give Kenny the benefit of the doubt. Listen I love Kenny but Rodgers has done great work at the club and that includes his first year.

His first year is hardly a fail!!

Doesnt matter the conditions he topped his group

He was on the bench for the first 3 games of the season and was played as a right of midfield defensive player against United.

And Joe Gomez?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

brevity wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/FootyML/status/648457143759294464

Barrett: John Henry is not the pivotal figure that he once was. Mike Gordon's influence is now strongest. He has a hands on role at #LFC

https://twitter.com/LFCZA/status/648456013348249600

Barrett: #Klopp is willing to talk to #LFC, a club which has finished outside of top 4 in 5 of last 6 seasons.

Go to his time line for more. Barrett is doing a chat thinking..
    Well start to talking to him FSG. If Klopp as it has been generally accepted wants to become our manager. It would be a huge mistake not to apoint him as manager. But like our transfer business we don't tend to do the most obvious things at times.

Knex. wrote: »
    Ah great. We're back to this "lies" thing.

We were all dreadfully missing it.

If someone is going to make a statement I fully expect them to stand by it. Something that poster continously fails to do.

https://twitter.com/LFCTS/status/648464712351547393

Barrett - Rodgers has been urging his players to shoot more often. The idea will be to have shots when chances are created

Explains Carsile

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Lies.

Can we really credit BR with "improving" Joe Gomez?? He had him for a handful of weeks. If a manager can have the much of an impact on a player then he really is a miracle worker. I also don't think we can blame BR for Gomez looking like a young player with a lot to learn over the more recent games.

Speaking of full backs, why did BR buy Clyne, a very solid player not suited to wing back play, and then revert to playing with wing backs at the first sign of trouble? It honestly does appear now that he is making it up as he goes along.

Barrett - Rodgers has been urging his players to shoot more often. The idea will be to have shots when chances are created

Explains Carlsile

Please tell me he wasn't watching each shot against Carlisle and thinking, "Yeah, that's it. Next time, though".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

If someone is going to make a statement I fully expect them to stand by it. Something that poster continously fails to do.

You have no better grasp of the meaning of the word "lie" than you have of either "faux" or "chance". There's a pattern emerging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Well I have the facts down mate. Show me I am wrong. I have no issue with you thinking any different. I am just saying that this whole "Sturridge is injury prone" stuff is blown way out of proportion and is often exaggerated.

He missed 6 weeks of football in 4 years before joining us and almost half that is due to a virus.................. which is not an injury

I'm pretty sure this is wrong. You're getting your data from transfermarkt? I wouldn't trust them to have a full account of Sturridge's injuries when he was a younger, less relevant player. I remember at the time Liverpool signed him, one of the doubts surrounding him was his injury record. That wouldn't have been the case if he only missed 6 weeks in four years.

I also remember that last season Rodgers essentially admitted that he was injury prone and can't be relied upon. He has had several problems throughout his career with one of his thighs iirc.

• Advertisement

And Joe Gomez?

What about him? Do you think you can just start calling people liars, get called out on it and then move to the next question? Your'e a sh*t stirrer who latches on to posters who can put their point across better than you.

Explains Carsile
    I'd love to read that notebook he is always writing in and see does it explain anything.
    klose wrote: »
    Anybody have the paul ince gif handy :pac:

paul-ince.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

This is a new phenomenon, the thread is suffering from a reverse meltdown Monday.

The team won at the weekend, the natives are restless.

What about him? Do you think you can just start calling people liars, get called out on it and then move to the next question? Your'e a sh*t stirrer who latches on to posters who can put their point across better than you.

I don't latch on to anybody on here I'm afraid. But you and your friends stick to your "hilarious" comments trying to take the piss out of me.

Blatter wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure this is wrong. You're getting your data from transfermarkt? I wouldn't trust them to have a full account of Sturridge's injuries when he was a younger, less relevant player. I remember at the time Liverpool signed him, one of the doubts surrounding him was his injury record. That wouldn't have been the case if he only missed 6 weeks in four years.

I also remember that last season Rodgers essentially admitted that he was injury prone and can't be relied upon. He has had several problems throughout his career with one of his thighs iirc.

Well if you can prove otherwise then my proof stands simple as that

I have shown why I think the way I do and I have backed myself up on my (probably) crazy statement

Rodgers said he cant be relied upon because last year he was missing so much. Not talking about his whole career.

He has had problems over the years (the last 3 to be exact) in his angles mostly which have affected his thighs...........

He has not had long term injuries before last year and that is a fact not a suggestion or opinion.

Surely one season isnt a case for being injury prone?? But tomato potato

More from the Tony Barrett web chat:
    If Liverpool do decide to make a change, then they should talk to Klopp at the very least. John Henry was an admirer when he took over. The suggestions are that Liverpool wouldn't pursue Klopp if Rodgers does go. I can't work it out as it smacks of arrogance. Klopp is willing to talk to Liverpool, a club which has finished outside of top 4 in 5 of last 6 seasons. It's not as if Liverpool will have their pick of elite managers
    agree that Rodgers has to take the criticism as it goes with the territory, the salary & profile. It wasn't so long ago that he was hailed as a tactical genius, so now critics have gone other way, Rodgers has to accept it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

His first year is hardly a fail!!

You can't call it a success either.

Out of both domestic cups in the 4th round by Oldham in the FA Cup and Swansea in the League Cup.

Knocked out of the Europa League in the first knock out stage.

In 9th position in February and had a good end of season run to finish 7th, one place above where Dalglish finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

You display remarkable hubris on here. Are you like this in real life also? Genuine question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,493 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

"I am the same guy who nearly won us the league, but better looking "I think I have shown in the early stages of my management -- without being arrogant -- that with a talented group of players I can compete at the top end of the league. I know how to manage top players. If you give me the tools, I'll do the work, trouble is we've signed some tools''

"There are very short memories in football," Rodgers said. "The team was eighth when I got here. We built a team to excite people throughout European football, that should have won the league, but for banana man and his slipadee do daa ''

"All the good work gets forgotten. That's how it works. It seems the focus has not been on what's gone on and what we've been missing, but more about getting me out of the club. That's sad."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

More from the Tony Barrett web chat:

It would be astonishing if we didn't at least talk to Klopp were a vacancy to become available.
    Head scratching stuff were it to come to pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,493 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement