Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

dogbert27 wrote: »
    You can't call it a success either.

Out of both domestic cups in the 4th round by Oldham in the FA Cup and Swansea in the League Cup.

Knocked out of the Europa League in the first knock out stage.

In 9th position in February and had a good end of season run to finish 7th, one place above where Dalglish finished.

Progression is success. He progressed the team. The cups please ffs if he won the League cup which Kenny did youd still have an element here saying he isnt the right man for the job and the League cup means nothing.

We didnt exactly look great in Europe with Kenny either by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Mr.H wrote: »
    Rodgers statement:
    He is completely right to talk like that. People having a go are just annoyed he still has a job and could do well.

I wonder how much of that 300 million was spent on players he didn't want? Plus how do we know he didn't want Sturridge? More sh1t talk from the anti crowed? Same people that claim Sakho was unwanted despite new contract and captainsy last week?

As for Mata:
    Mata was not wanted by Jose and isn't rated in Spain at all. Coutinho on the other hand could go to Barca or Real. Mate is/was all hype and although talented is not as good as Coutinho. Although he is a better finisher he has less pace and he is more one dimensional with his runs. Coutinhos passing is more expansive and despite his new found greed he has a good long strike.

Mata was never the player United fans claim he was. He isn't even a number 10. He is number 2 (sh1t) striker who plays deep because he isn't good enough up front. Basically the Spanish Rooney. If Spain have a fit side Mata doesn't get called up let alone play.

Clyne:
    Haha give me a break. The united fella better? When? When United signed him he was better? Surely wasn't the day before. Clyne is younger faster and great going forward and defensively. Clyne is a one of the best RB's in the league (Top 3/4 anyway. Coleman is number one the last couple years)

It's amazing how someone can be so wrong and oblivious to the fact they are so wrong

If Mata's main slight is that he can't displace David Silva in the Spanish team(Liverpool fans seem to cling to this whenever this debate comes up) who is the benchmark for that type of player then he is doing well, Coutinho has more pace than Mata but it means very little when Mata's output is so higher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

By that logic he would have sent Gary Mc out for the pre match aswell??

The players are clearly behind him and showed it on the pitch. He has pipped up and went to shut up people who are lying about how bad he is doing.

Lying???

The 5 teams Liverpool have beaten in the league since March 17 are currently 16th,17th,18th and 19th in the PL and 12th in the Championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

mosstin wrote: »
    Two posters, one battle for supremacy in the emoticon wars. There will be blood lots more hitting the ignore function.
    The stadium is progressing nicely too.
    Thanks Rodgers.
    It'll be even better when he sends Sakho out to paint it.

mosstin wrote: »
    It would be astonishing if we didn't at least talk to Klopp were a vacancy to become available.
    Head scratching stuff were it to come to pass.

Its all speculation to be fair. No one at the club actually ruled him in or out its just paper talk.

Klopp would be a kinda experienced version of Brendan though, where Anchelotti would be a different direction. Going for the Italian might be a statement that they want to go with the tried and tested and give experience a chance to take the club forward.

As long as it was a big name I wouldnt mind if Brendan was to be replaced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Tony Barrett web chat.
    wrote:

Mike
    So after one victory, Liverpool manager Rodgers thinks it's okay to have a go at his critics and forget about being humble? Or is this surely the voice of a broken man who knows he's a gonner?
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:02

Tony Barrett:
    Afternoon Mike,
    I have no problem with managers saying what they think, although I do think Rodgers would have been better waiting for a winning run before going on the offensive rather than doing it after a 3-2 win over Aston Villa.
    It suggested to me that he is feeling the pressure, which he is entitled to do, and I also got the impression that he was trying to create a siege mentality. When you do that, though, you have to win your next big game or else your critics will just up the ante so it ws a big gamble/mad risk considering Liverpool's next big game is the Merseyside derby.
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:04

Comment From Shaun
    "If you give me the tools, I’ll do the work.” A poor worker always blames his tools, after spending close to £300m during his reign, after spending £32.5m on Benteke, he still relies on Sturridge to get him out of a mess! I like many have had enough of Rodgers, fans are on his back over relegation form over the 15 games prior to Villa win. Just because there are former players in the media, doesn't mean they have to back you unconditionally. Souness & Carragher didn't suffer fools lightly in their playing days, why should they spare the current manager of criticism when they see him doing things wrong? Klopp's agent is dangling him in front of FSG, he fits their preferred head coach model , I really can't see how FSG can resist much longer
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:05

Tony Barrett:
    Hello Shaun,
    I think that comment/question is longer than my match report from Saturday, which isn't saying a great deal admittedly. I'll take Rodgers first. I agree that he has to take criticism. It goes with the territory, the salary and the profile. It wasn't so long ago that the critics were hailing him a tactical genius so if they've now gone the other way he has to accept it. Where I do have some sympathy with him is I think the scrutiny Liverpool are constantly under is extraordinary and when things are going badly he must feel like he's under attack.
    On Klopp, if Liverpool do decide to make a change then they should talk to him at the very, very least. John W Henry was an admirer of his when he first took over Liverpool but the suggestions are that they wouldn't pursue him if Rodgers does go. I can't work that one out and it smacks of arrogance. If a double Bundesliga manager is willing to talk to a club which has finished outside the top four in five of the last six seasons then they have a duty to hear what he has to say. It's not as if Liverpool will have their pick of elite managers..
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:10

Comment From Pam Nash
    Hi Tony, thanks for the webchat. If there was a time for Rodgers to congratualte his players and then shut up, this weekend was it. But no he, as usual, had verbal diarrhoea and instead of being about a match well won by Liverpool the focus is all on Rodgers. It's lunacy, is there no-one at Liverpool to advise him on PR?
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:12

Tony Barrett:
    Hello Pam.
    When it comes down to it, managers can be given the best PR advice going but if there's something they want to get off their chest they tend to take no notice. I've seen it countless times. I agree with you though, Rodgers would have been much better enjoying he victory, praising the players who made it possible and keeping the spotlight off himself.
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:14

Comment From Hugh F
    Hello, Tony. Even though Liverpool defeated Aston Villa 3-2 two days ago, it wasn't an absolute convincing victory in a broader context when it could've prevail by at least two goals rather than one goal. So, it doesn't look like Brendan Rodgers is totally safe at this moment. Personally, with constant rumors of his job status, I think the key date is October 4th, because the baseball regular season ends for the Boston Red Sox (FSG owns the baseball club), thus freeing up time for John H. Henry in reevaluating Rodgers and maybe the football club afterwards - at least in logical theory. Is it a fair analysis or observation?
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:17

Tony Barrett:
    The point about the baseball season is a good one Hugh (it's also one that I hadn't considered). The last thing an under pressure manager needs is owners with additional time on their hands.
    I don't think John W Henry is the pivotal figure in this that he once was though. Of everyone at FSG, Mike Gordon's influence is now strongest and he's been playing a hands on role for some time.
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:18

Comment From Tom
    Hi Tony, thanks for doing this Webchat. Is there truth to the rumors that Rodgers is being protected by Ian Ayre and Mike Gordon? I can't believe that JWH and Werner would be stopped from ending someones contract if they really wanted them out.
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:19

Tony Barrett:
    I don't think that's accurate Tom. At any stage, owners and executives will hold different views but there's nothing to suggest there's any kind of split.
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:20

Comment From simon k
    Tony, is Hysteria, playing a weakened team against Madrid, thus marginalising the players that got you into that competition, not qualifying from a poor CL group, losing 3 of your best players in two seasons, losing 6-1 to Stoke, and blowing the best part of £300 million? Oh, and not having a keeper fit for purpose? And letting your captain walk out of the door?
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:21

Tony Barrett:
    Hello Simon,
    I'm not sure that's hysteria but I take your point. I look at it very simply (it's the only way of which I'm capable) - if Liverpool aren't playing well and results are poor, then heightened scrutiny is absolutely inevitable. The manager, whoever he may be, has to accept that because it goes hand in hand with being manager of one of the world's biggest and most newsworthy clubs. It's also one of the reasons why they get paid millions of Pounds for doing the job.
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:24

Comment From Simon
    Hi Tony. Instead of blaming Rodgers, don't Liverpool fans need to accept they are where they are due to decades of mismanagement at board level? Be it the stadium, training ground or commercial expansion, Liverpool sat on their arse for years and are now stuck in permanent decline. They've the squad, infrastructure to finish fifth or sixth and that's what they'll likely do.
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:24

Tony Barrett:
    Hello Simon,
    I wrote something on this very subject last week, For all the criticism that Rodgers has been getting, much of it justified, Liverpool as a club are not creating the conditions for success. They don't sign elite players and they allow the ones they have to leave. They prioritize potential over experience and then wonder why they have no leaders. You could go on and on. At some point, the penny will drop and there'll be a realization that the whole club is struggling to be the best that it can be and it's not just down to the manager.
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:27

Comment From Jimy
    If Liverpool beat Everton and find themselves top 5 or so - is Rodgers seriously in any danger after 8 games?
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:27

Tony Barrett:
    This is another area where I find myself having sympathy with Rodgers. Everyone is viewing the derby as the game that could prove the final straw for him (a not unreasonable position given the way Liverpool have been playing) but what if Liverpool win? Would that mean the pressure he came under was premature and excessive? I'm not sure it would but it would give him the opportunity to denounce those who called for his head, which given what he said after the Villa game, he'd probably take.
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:30

Comment From Gaf
    Should FSG revise their expectations. You invest into young promising players and a up and coming manager. Both are inexperienced and inconsistent. How can you expect consistent performance that guarantees CL and a title challenge?
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:39

Tony Barrett:
    I agree with that to an extent Gaf, but I don't think Liverpool can afford to lower their expectations to the point where success and top four finishes are not demanded. Once that happens the game really will be up.
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:40

Comment From Gaf
    If you were FSG, what would you do with Rodgers?
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:40

Tony Barrett:
    I'd see what happens in the derby against Everton and then look at things if necessary. Luckily for Liverpool, I'm not a multi-millionaire with a hedge fund so they don't need to take my views into account.
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:42

Comment From Ray
    How do you think Rodger's comments in the press this morning will have been viewed / received in Boston?

Tony Barrett:
    I'd imagine the comments about "tools" will have been the ones that impressed FSG least.

Comment From Matt
    Rodgers references to the hysteria around LFC at the moment, and something came to mind...thenoise about Bentekes offside goal against Bournemouth versus the relative silence around 3 offside goals in the Spurs v City game. I know LFC are newsworthy but the difference in reporting and reaction in those 2 games tells a stoiry doesnt it?
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:43

Tony Barrett:
    As someone who covers Liverpool for a living I'm acutely aware of the scale of the attention that they get in comparison to other clubs. But it works for them as well as against them. A club which commands so much media interest is in a position to exploit it commercially. Also, as Man City fans have pointed out, the attention that Liverpool got during the title challenge of 2013/14 far exceeded the attention that their own club received even though they ended up winning it. In that respect, Liverpool have to take the rough with the smooth.
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:46

Comment From Rory
    Gary Mac and Rodgers were pleased with 47 shots against Carlisle. Does this not just indicate a lack of ideas. "Shoot from anywhere lads."
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:46

Tony Barrett:
    I don't think that's any more than accentuating the positives to be fair Rory. Rodgers has been urging his players to shoot more often but I doubt he will have been thrilled by what happened against Carlisle. The idea will be to have shots when chances are created, not to take pot shots over and over again because you've run out of ideas.
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:48

Comment From VJ
    Hi Tony, do you think the common view in this in country that managers should be given time to succeed is foolish? I can't remember anyone having 3+ years of building and then becoming successful. If anything the european model of changing managers every 2-3 years seems to provide more success. what are your thoughts?
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:48

Tony Barrett:
    I was talking about this very issue to a good friend of mine recently VJ. There's no chance that a manager could do what Howard Kendall did in the mid-80s, going to the brink and then being a misplaced backpass away from losing your job before an incredible renaissance takes place. It just isn't happening. Money has killed that and we now live in an age of instant gratification.
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:50

Comment From Matt
    Surely if FSG want to invest in potential, both playing and managerial, then they should be prepared for ups and downs and time to settle evenything in.How long that is I dont know, but certaoinly players like Markovic, Can, Moreno etc could need a couple of seasons - look at Erik Lamela as someone who now seems to get it 2 seasons into his time at Spurs
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:50

Tony Barrett:
    I don't disagree with that Matt. The problem with that strategy for me is that if you're going to sign players for the future you can't forget that you also need players for now and I think Liverpool have been guilty of that in recent years.
    Monday September 28, 2015 12:52

So we win - you're delighted
    We lose, manager is sacked - you're delighted.

That's a nice little scenario you've got going for yourself.

As opposed to yourself, who was talking earlier about looking forward to one of our best players, Coutinho, move to Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Luckycharms is like the internet Robin Hood. He always delivers to us peasants.

It's amazing how someone can be so wrong and oblivious to the fact they are so wrong

If Mata's main slight is that he can't displace David Silva in the Spanish team(Liverpool fans seem to cling to this whenever this debate comes up) who is the benchmark for that type of player then he is doing well, Coutinho has more pace than Mata but it means very little when Mata's output is so higher

As another poster said there probably is little point comparing players

I know I have added to the debate but It was silly top get involved. I know that Mata is a decent player and I do like him as a player. My whole point is that I dont think Mata would displace Coutinho at Liverpool because they do offer different things (while doing the same job imo) and thats a whole different debate. I dont think Mata could do what Coutinho does at Liverpool but I do feel Coutinho could do Mata's job at United.

You may think the opposite and I may be wrong. It happens. Its happened before it will happen again.

Lying???

The 5 teams Liverpool have beaten in the league since March 17 are currently 16th,17th,18th and 19th in the PL and 12th in the Championship

Yet if you go a couple of weeks further back we beat City, Spurs and Southampton................

see while "lie" may not be the correct term to use, manipulate is certainly the right one.

You set the parameters to suit your argument.

Your argument also means nothing.

Fact is kid that we are 2 points off 4th 5 off 1st and we are still in all comps having already played 2 of our rivals for a top 4 spot away already

that fact you cant maniplulate:cool:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

We played 2 ties under Kenny in the knockout rounds in 10/11, won 1 lost 1. Those are the only European ties played under Kenny in either spell as manager.

Bit of a small sample size, wouldn't you say?

• Advertisement

As another poster said there probably is little point comparing players

I know I have added to the debate but It was silly top get involved. I know that Mata is a decent player and I do like him as a player. My whole point is that I dont think Mata would displace Coutinho at Liverpool because they do offer different things (while doing the same job imo) and thats a whole different debate. I dont think Mata could do what Coutinho does at Liverpool but I do feel Coutinho could do Mata's job at United.

You may think the opposite and I may be wrong. It happens. Its happened before it will happen again.

Yet if you go a couple of weeks further back we beat City, Spurs and Southampton................

see while "lie" may not be the correct term to use, manipulate is certainly the right one.

You set the parameters to suit your argument.

Your argument also means nothing.

Fact is kid that we are 2 points off 4th 5 off 1st and we are still in all comps having already played 2 of our rivals for a top 4 spot away already

that fact you cant maniplulate:cool:

Playing turgid football and using up vast reserves of luck. Arsenal had a good goal taken away, that would have been a loss. We score an offside goal against Bmouth, after getting away with them having a goal disallowed for nothing. That would have been a loss. Without poor officiating we'd be a lot lower down the table.

5starpool wrote: »
    We played 2 ties under Kenny in the knockout rounds in 10/11, won 1 lost 1. Those are the only European ties played under Kenny in either spell as manager.

Bit of a small sample size, wouldn't you say?

Well sample sizes and manipulation of facts seem fine for others..............

Brendan topped his group and went out on away goals.

Brendan also plays far better football than previous
    Playing turgid football and using up vast reserves of luck. Arsenal had a good goal taken away, that would have been a loss. We score an offside goal against Bmouth, after getting away with them having a goal disallowed for nothing. That would have been a loss. Without poor officiating we'd be a lot lower down the table.

We could go through our bad luck from last year as well but that would just ruin your argument wouldnt it........................

Regardless of luck we are where we are like it or not

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

As opposed to yourself, who was talking earlier about looking forward to one of our best players, Coutinho, move to Barcelona.

Coutinho plays for Liverpool, not Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

there is nothing that annoys me more in the Rodgers debate than making up shít to suit the argument.

Rodgers is a very good coach. that's pretty much irrefutable tbh. Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Sterling and Henderson all improved under him. whether they would have been on an upward trajectory regardless is almost an impossible one to answer, but they did all improve while he has been coaching.

i believe it's time he was let go because in my opinion he has now proven that he cannot manage the team to the appropriate level. he's been found wanting tactically far too often. he can't juggle personnel in the team effectively, without it having a bad effect on results. he's been found wanting when we have to play 3 games in 8/9 days. he's never been able to organise the defence properly.

there are enough other things to beat him with. you don't need to say he's a bad coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Coutinho plays for Liverpool, not Celtic.

He said he'd a soft spot for Liverpool, a lot of people have a second team. Instead of the constant potshots why don't you just answer or ignore. Some of your points actually make a little sense however the posting style of a five year old at times is what derails this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Progression is success. He progressed the team.

Progressing from 8th to 7th is a successful season for Liverpool??
    The cups please ffs

FFS?! Yes cups please for FFS! League Cup, FA Cup, Europa League, Champions League the Premier League if we are in the competition we should be competing for it.
    if he won the League cup which Kenny did youd still have an element here saying he isnt the right man for the job and the League cup means nothing.
    If he won a cup people couldn't say he's won nothing.
    I agree but Rodgers has shown absolutely no acumen to European football.

duffman13 wrote: »
    He said he'd a soft spot for Liverpool, a lot of people have a second team. Instead of the constant potshots why don't you just answer or ignore. Some of your points actually make a little sense however the posting style of a five year old at times is what derails this thread.

I have a soft spot for Rangers, I wouldn't go into their thread and constantly refer to them as "we". That's my issue.

Progressing from 8th to 7th is a successful season for Liverpool??

I have alluded to the fact that the most successful part of his first season was the off field stuff as well as the development of the style of football we saw.

There was a progression and while I accept its not anything to cheer about, I feel it must be commended as some people talk about that year as a failure for Rodgers.
    FFS?! Yes cups please for FFS! League Cup, FA Cup, Europa League, Champions League the Premier League if we are in the competition we should be competing for it.

I agree but many here wouldnt
    If he won a cup people couldn't say he's won nothing.

Again I enjoy the cups always have. But if he wins the league cup this year the same posters will want him out at the end of the year
    I agree but Rodgers has shown absolutely no acumen to European football.

Yet he topped the group in his first season and has an away draw against the other "big team" in the group this year while "rotating" players

I have a soft spot for Rangers, I wouldn't go into their thread and constantly refer to them as "we". That's my issue.

Must say I agree with this

I like Celtic, Barca, Bayern and Juve but the ONLY WE is Liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Can we add parody to the title of this thread?

And that's completely your perogative, he can refer to himself as whatever he wants just leave him to it. No need to reference it, adding unneeded posts to the thread.

Must say I agree with this

I like Celtic, Barca, Bayern and Juve but the ONLY WE is Liverpool

I've a good friend who's a season ticket holder for two clubs, is he not allowed refer to him as we when referencing both clubs he's fanatical about? People can refer themselves whatever way they wish!

duffman13 wrote: »
    And that's completely your perogative, he can refer to himself as whatever he wants just leave him to it. No need to reference it, adding unneeded posts to the thread.

There's every reason to reference it. How can you take a Celtic fans opinion on Liverpool seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I know plenty of Irish people who support and English team and Celtic and are fanatical in their support for both teams.

I know plenty of Irish people who support and English team and Celtic and are fanatical in their support for both teams.

I know plenty of Irish people who claim to be fanatical about an English club and Celtic as well but they dont know 2 sh1ts about either.

Just because their english team is not successful gives them a reason to celebrate something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

There's every reason to reference it. How can you take a Celtic fans opinion on Liverpool seriously?

Well we try and take yours seriously so......

I can't take that post seriously either.

You can take any fan of any clubs opinion seriously, why would you not!?

In fairness to Caovyn, he never takes a post off. He gives it 100%, everyday.

Nearing 300 posts in here already, and he was banned for 3/4 of the thread's existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

you could say they are Club "fluid"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/09/brendan-rodgers-more-rabbit-than-sainsburys/
    wrote:

by Gareth Roberts // 28 September 2015 /

A WIN at last. Two fantastic finishes from the much-missed Daniel Sturridge. Impressive midfield performances from the going now staying Lucas Leiva and stand-in skipper James Milner. Tireless running from Danny Ings. More magic from Phil Coutinho.

It might have ‘only been Aston Villa’ — a team in the bottom three with one win in seven that sold its best players in the summer — but Liverpool were desperate for a victory after more than a month without one. We got one. There were reasons to be cheerful on Saturday. And two of Liverpool’s top performers on the pitch were doing their bit off it as well.

Milner and Lucas both tried to tell the media that the players are behind Brendan Rodgers. That morale is good. That he hasn’t lost the dressing room and they’re fighting for him because they think he’s a good manager.
    Job done then, on the field and with the media. Let’s all go home and have a bevvy.

And then he goes and spoils it all by saying something stupid like “hysteria”…
    It was a brainless line to take by the manager. A mouth in overdrive. “More rabbit than Sainsbury’s,” as Chas and Dave once sang. A home win against a team Liverpool should be beating at home; a team that finished three points above the relegation zone last season and are tipped to be embroiled in another scrap this, is not the time to go all big bollocks. Not when that same team knocked a gutless Liverpool out of the FA Cup at the semi-final stage not so long ago. Because, you know, accusations of “short memories” and all that.

Let’s have it straight again. Rodgers is extremely lucky to still be the manager of Liverpool. Approaching lottery winner standards. He was lucky to start the season still in position after last season and after results and performances that have failed to convince this, most think he is a dead man walking; a manager sure to get the bullet the next time a bad result comes along. With a defence still playing like strangers, there’s no denying that it remains a possibility whenever the Reds take to the field right now.

At Anfield, boos have punctuated poor performances. For all the criticism of modern football, that’s not something we’re used to. The criticism that Rodgers told the world is “outside” is inside. Online, the vitriol directed his way is daily and endless. It’s from Liverpool fans. For many, he isn’t a great manager or a great man. And seemingly anything goes until the day he is told to pack his bags. Coming out swinging when you’re top of the league is one thing. Trying to float a boat on a sea of ****e is quite another.

On Friday, Rodgers seemed to recognise all this. Knew he was in trouble. Understood why. Respected the owners if they said ‘enough is enough’. He seemed humble. Discussing how he could get the fans back onside in that press conference, he nailed it in one: “You do that by winning games and performing.”

Exactly right. This. This all day. So do that.

All that has come since is a win against a below average Premier League side. One that without any real inclination to attack scored two goals and could have had more. The ego should have stayed in its box, the inner chimp still in chains. A 3-2 win over Aston Villa is not the time to be taking on all-comers, particularly with a trip to Goodison, a fixture that went a long way to pushing Hodgson over the cliff and a venue where Rodgers is yet to taste victory as Liverpool manager, just days away.

When Rodgers was appointed, plenty of Reds held reservations about his pedigree to manage Liverpool. His CV didn’t impress, showing only a promotion to the Premier League as evidence of being a winner of sorts.
    Then he started speaking. And he was slated for being a salesman, football’s answer to David Brent — full of management-speak and the rest, to put it mildly.

The dreadful Being Liverpool didn’t help matters, evidenced by the fact that it is still referenced to this day, more than three years later. The envelopes. The touch-feely stuff. The picture of himself in his house. All that.

Ultimately, though, when Liverpool started winning games and performing, nobody gave a flying one. All the stuff that leaves a bitter taste in the mouth now — the abuse, getting personal, the online baiting of anyone seeking the smallest bit of balance in the debate about his performance as Liverpool manager — none of that existed when Liverpool scored goals left, right and centre and won games. There was nothing to get in a “frenzy” about. There was no need for “hysteria”. Not of the negative kind, anyway.

The Kop sang his name. Said he built a team like Shankly did. The fans held banners aloft. T-shirts appeared in shops and Rodgers was named manager of the year. “Who cares about Being Liverpool and CVs now?”, Rodgers could have rightly asked while flicking the Vs at the world.

Then it all went tits up. Liverpool stopped winning and stopped performing. The bull**** came to the fore again. When the Reds did find a period of form, Rodgers was too quick to blow his own trumpet. The press was full of the genius of his formation change and how it was discovered — briefed by the manager — only for Manchester United to slap the egg on his face the following weekend. The rest of the season was a write off. Liverpool were an awful watch and Rodgers looked like he had ran out of ideas. Stoke was the horse’s head in the bed moment. Only a matter of time.

And so the summer. The support staff were whacked instead. And keeping Rodgers in charge wasn’t the only obvious decision made during the close season. The manager made one himself. Basically, he decided to shut up for a bit. To wind his neck in and say little more than was necessary. And not before time. All the Balotelli stuff. The tales of pacing kitchens. It didn’t really wash when you’re going up down the country watching Liverpool lie down for piss-poor sides that should be put to the sword no matter what stage of development the club is supposedly at.

It felt that during pre-season, and early into the new campaign, that there was a humble approach; a new focus. A recognition from Rodgers that things had gone wrong, that he’d been lucky to remain in position at Anfield, and that now it was time for getting things right on the pitch and worrying a bit less about public perception.

So there was less of the Talk Sport matey bollocks. Less of the cosy Sky chats. Fewer cringeworthy ‘jokes’. Press conferences seemed shorter and straighter. Answers played with a straight bat. More business-like.

Then came the important bit — the results and performances bit. An away win at Stoke courtesy of a world-class Coutinho goal. A fortunate 1-0 home win courtesy of an offside goal against promoted Bournemouth. A battling draw at Arsenal before a dreadful 0-3 capitulation to West Ham and a feeble failure at Old Trafford. Three 1-1 draws with Bordeaux, Norwich and League Two Carlisle and finally the win over Villa.

Liverpool haven’t convinced at either end of the pitch in the season so far. Formations have switched. The Lovren experiment failed. A identifiable pattern of play — an ‘identity’ — is yet to truly emerge. If there is “hysteria” by Brendan Rodgers’ standards it is because Liverpool have been poor. There’s been nothing to convince. Nothing to get excited about.

Aston Villa was the first Liverpool win over 90 minutes in seven matches. And while it was better, it wasn’t a signal for popping champagne corks. It was a start. A Saturday night with a smile on your face. A step in the right direction. A sign that Liverpool — maybe, just maybe — can turn all this around. So why didn’t the manager just say all that? Say it was a good win. Say it was great to have Sturridge back. Say Lucas and Milner were great and Ings’ work-rate is fantastic. And then go home. Leave the rest. Forget the other.

Early in the season it may be, but the “frenzy” that Rodgers referred to was born from frustration that this season very quickly felt like another campaign disappearing around the u-bend. And we’ve had quite enough of those for one lifetime, thanks very much. It’s also on the back of a season that ended in a way that Liverpool are unaccustomed to.

Most Liverpool fans know where the club is financially. Most Liverpool fans know that other clubs have better resources available to them — in terms of money, in terms of facilities, in terms of youth systems, in terms of stadiums. Most Liverpool fans are also more than aware that the club finished 7th, 6th, 8th and 7th before the run to second place that no-one predicted under Rodgers.

But then there was last season and the idea of par. We’re not after par. We’re not after OK. We’re not happy for Liverpool to roll over and die in Europe. We want Liverpool to fight. And we want Liverpool to be angry, to be pissed off, to be annoyed when they lose to Crystal Palace, or Stoke, or West Ham at Anfield.

When that happens, we expect our ex players to say that’s not good enough in the media. Because we don’t think it’s good enough either. And as much as it saddens me to say, we expect boos from some if what they’re seeing in front of them doesn’t meet expectations. That’s the way it is.

Brendan Rodgers is already walking a tightrope, and he’s a strong wind from falling out of a job. He should fight Liverpool’s corner when he’s up there representing the club by all means. But his own fight for recognition isn’t going to be won via the media. It’s not politics. It’s not an election campaign. It’s not a sales pitch. We don’t want to hear that Rodgers is a better manager than the guy who almost won the league when we’re eighth in the league having scored only seven goals in seven matches.

We don’t want to hear insinuation about the players the club have bought, or their quality, either. Whoever signs the cheques has done so on £200million-plus in two summers. And by common consensus, the latest batch was of the manager’s choosing. So whatever “tools” Rodgers has, he should try to do the work and make less noise while doing so. Results and performances. Results and performances.

The team that come so close in 2013-4 is a long time ago now, ancient history. Luis Suarez is long gone. Steven Gerrard and Raheem Sterling are no longer. And who that team excited and when and where is now irrelevant. Liverpool fans, Liverpool ex players, whoever Rodgers is pointing the finger at regarding the ‘campaign’ to get him out, all will be silenced if he can do it again. We all want Liverpool to win. That’s it. Just win.

In the meantime, seven defeats in 16 league games and only 16 goals scored is grim reading. Not being able to beat League Two Carlisle United is embarrassing.

Suggesting another manager could do a better job with the same resources is not hysteria. It’s not a frenzy. It’s yearning for standards the club has traditionally set itself that we expect Liverpool to try to return to. When it goes wrong, the manager carries the can. Rodgers wants that to end?
    “You do that by winning games and performing.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I make no secret of the fact that I'm a Newcastle fan as well as Liverpool. Bit more extreme with both teams in the same league, but if you have strong connections to both clubs (which I most certainly do), you can do nothing but support them. The only "we" for me though is Liverpool, they take the slightest priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

martyos121 wrote: »
    I make no secret of the fact that I'm a Newcastle fan as well as Liverpool. Bit more extreme with both teams in the same league, but if you have strong connections to both clubs (which I most certainly do), you can do nothing but support them. The only "we" for me though is Liverpool, they take the slightest priority.

Who'd win in a fight between a magpie and a liver bird, though? Maybe they'd just gang up on the cockerel.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Who'd win in a fight between a magpie and a liver bird, though? Maybe they'd just gang up on the cockerel.

Yeah, they'd usually team up and knock that stupid chicken off his beach ball.

(I have absolutely nothing personal against Spurs btw, they've taken many bullets for us over the years)

Knex. wrote: »
    In fairness to Caovyn, he never takes a post off. He gives it 100%, everyday.

Nearing 300 posts in here already, and he was banned for 3/4 of the thread's existence.
    Thanks bud x

You poor fecker.

Would ye ever f1ck off with yer more than one team boll9x

Ok Marty no offence but there is no way you can support both

Lets say Liverpool v Newcastle FA Cup final. What jersey you wearing??

Same with Celtic. IF Liverpool v Celtic in the Europa what team do ye support???

Nobody supports more than one team the exact same amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Grayditch wrote: »

They're too busy punching horses in that part of the world to worry about cockerels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Same with Celtic. IF Liverpool v Celtic in the Europa what team do ye support???

But, but, but, but.......half and half scarves................

Knex. wrote: »
    You poor fecker.

That's the general response these days.

I know a few lads who still support Leeds though, so it could always be worse lol.

Read my entire post down to the end. Good lad.

Would ye ever f1ck off with yer selective quoting bollox
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

https://twitter.com/ReadLiverpoolFC/status/648514762037424129

Martin Atkinson allocated #LFC’s trip to Goodison Park for the Merseyside derby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

SlickRic wrote: »
    there is nothing that annoys me more in the Rodgers debate than making up shít to suit the argument.

Rodgers is a very good coach. that's pretty much irrefutable tbh. Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Sterling and Henderson all improved under him. whether they would have been on an upward trajectory regardless is almost an impossible one to answer, but they did all improve while he has been coaching.

i believe it's time he was let go because in my opinion he has now proven that he cannot manage the team to the appropriate level. he's been found wanting tactically far too often. he can't juggle personnel in the team effectively, without it having a bad effect on results. he's been found wanting when we have to play 3 games in 8/9 days. he's never been able to organise the defence properly.

there are enough other things to beat him with. you don't need to say he's a bad coach.

Who's made stuff up?

Read my entire post down to the end. Good lad.

Would ye ever f1ck off with yer selective quoting bollox
    :rolleyes:

I know you said Liverpool take your priority but I'm talking about everyone else with this whole double alligance sh1t.

Kids back in the 90's 00's supported Celtic as a second club because it was the Irish thing to do. Its boll9x.

As I said I like a lot of teams and watch them regularly but I support Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Who's made stuff up?

anyone saying he's not a good coach.

Who's made stuff up?

Would you ever stop people on here are constantly bending truths to suit arguments

SlickRic wrote: »
    anyone saying he's not a good coach.

So having an opinion on whether you think Rodgers is a good coach or not is 'making stuff up'?

So having an opinion on whether you think Rodgers is a good coach or not is 'making stuff up'?

To be fair you do a fair bit of making stuff up now

Didnt you say that Gomez wasnt getting a chance under Rodgers yet he started the season??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

I'd say Rodgers himself is amazed he is still in the job. Following the stoke disgrace he had the look of a guy who thought he was done. The presser following that game had an air of doom about it.

Again, following the Carlisle sludgefest, not showing up for the press and on Fri talking in a resigned tone about possibly not being at the club etc, there was that same air that the end was nigh.

He is still in charge, and all of a sudden talking himself up big time. Maybe he has been reassured from above or maybe it's the last sting of a dying wasp so to speak.

Interesting times ahead.

Alonso77 wrote: »
    I'd say Rodgers himself is amazed he is still in the job. Following the stoke disgrace he had the look of a guy who thought he was done. The presser following that game had an air of doom about it.

Again, following the Carlisle sludgefest, not showing up for the press and on Fri talking in a resigned tone about possibly not being at the club etc, there was that same air that the end was nigh.

He is still in charge, and all of a sudden talking himself up big time. Maybe he has been reassured from above or maybe it's the last sting of a dying wasp so to speak.

Interesting times ahead.

Or maybe he has noticed the upturn in performance in the last 2 league games.

• Advertisement

To be fair you do a fair bit of making stuff up now

Didnt you say that Gomez wasnt getting a chance under Rodgers yet he started the season??

He hasn't given the lad a chance. He should be playing instead of Lovren or the makeshift defender Can. Playing him once and the dropping him for the next few games isn't giving him a chance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement