Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

magma69 wrote: »

So basically we've gone from not having a great record against the top 4 to now not having a great record against the top 15

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

So Benteke or not Benteke?

If fit, I'd be happy enough to see Benteke stay on the bench. The direct football isn't suited to Rodgers playing style and never will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

With the addition of Ings in the last match showing signs of the attacking football we should be playing, the Benteke signing is even more baffling. Ings is doing well but with £32 million I'm sure Liverpool could have bought a similar, fast paced striker to Ings that was a level above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

rarnes1 wrote: »
    So Benteke or not Benteke?

If fit, I'd be happy enough to see Benteke stay on the bench. The direct football isn't suited to Rodgers playing style and never will be.

I'd have to see Benteke and Sturridge play a run of games together as a partrnership before I'd be benching Benteke, Ings has looked good so far but I'd be favouring Benteke at the minute.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Can't stop laughing at that Vigouroux story hahahaha

Childish thing to do. He will not get a hearty reception from Liverpool for that. He had little enough chance of making it at Liverpool anyhow, but that's been reduced now for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think Ings and Benteke could be a great partnership if both are used right.

Sturridge of course would be first choice when fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Is Sahko still the second coming or have we realised that we hyped him to bits simply because Rodgers wasnt picking him and it was an easy way to have a go at the manager?

He's pretty average. Not terrible, but like all our defenders prone to mistakes, occasionally beaten too easily but capable of really decent performances.

The worst of this committee nonsense has been the failure to bring in a realiable cb. What should have been a comfortable win was once again undermined and jeopardised by weak defending. Can was simply awful for his goal. Lovren-esque. He is not a CB.

Sakho is not the second coming but by christ he is way better than lovren. His passes are generally forward, quick and direct to a player feet and it allows us to break up the field quickly enough.
    He looks awkward as **** but he has good feet. the first goal against villa i thought he could have stuck his head in but mignolet should have been coming out and getting that. The second goals was wonderful goal for villa and nothing he could do about it.
    If you could get someone beside him that was a calming influence on him then I think he would be excellent. If i am totally honest of defense has been prone to defensive errors for quite a few years and the only common denominator is Skrtel.
    I'd like to see us with a back four of
    Clyne, Gomes Sakho moreno at some stage this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

500px-GoodNewsEveryone.jpg

We're second in clean sheets for 2015

https://twitter.com/Squawka/status/648565612130635776

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

With the addition of Ings in the last match showing signs of the attacking football we should be playing, the Benteke signing is even more baffling. Ings is doing well but with £32 million I'm sure Liverpool could have bought a similar, fast paced striker to Ings that was a level above.

I really think, given the money spent, that we should find out how well Benteke would get on in a selection that keeps it on the deck. He did pretty well in a Villa side that passed it around quickly without lumping it at the end of last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

5starpool wrote: »
    Childish thing to do. He will not get a hearty reception from Liverpool for that. He had little enough chance of making it at Liverpool anyhow, but that's been reduced now for sure.

Probably, still bloody hilarious though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

brevity wrote: »
    500px-GoodNewsEveryone.jpg

We're second in clean sheets for 2015

https://twitter.com/Squawka/status/648565612130635776

Impossible, we can't defend.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

corwill wrote: »
    I really think, given the money spent, that we should find out how well Benteke would get on in a selection that keeps it on the deck. He did pretty well in a Villa side that passed it around quickly without lumping it at the end of last season.

Hopefully Rodgers uses him like that though, rather than just reverting to long balls again. Would be interesting to see. I think he is more versatile than he sees at the moment but Rodgers mightn't use him that way.

We can defend, but it's incredibly bad in some games. I would have thought this was incredibly obvious.

Hopefully Rodgers uses him like that though, rather than just reverting to long balls again. Would be interesting to see. I think he is more versatile than he sees at the moment but Rodgers mightn't use him that way.

I think it's more down to the players seeing him as an easy out ball when he's on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

We're very poor defensively, surely you can't disagree with this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

We can defend, but it's incredibly bad in some games. I would have thought this was incredibly obvious.

We can defend very well as a team when we elect to do so.

But, being who we are, there's always going to be pressure on us to go and win a game - probably out of proportion to our quality - and we've been really **** at that lately.

So we end up stretching ourselves with very little chance of succeeding in attack and expose our otherwise pretty solid defence in a way that ends up costing us.

I don't think we concede goals in a way that makes much sense.

I remember seeing a year or so ago that the number of shots we conceded vs number of goals conceded was one of the lowest ratios in the league and possibly Europe - ie, attacks against our defence are very efficient.

I would put that down to overcommitting in attack, choosing defenders that are particularly badly suited to that style, like Lovren, having a keeper that's partciuarly good at saving "normal chances" but particularly bad at set pieces and using the the ball when we're getting pressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I think our defence can do a job but where we really fall down is being able to control the game. I guess that could be considered part of being able to defend but why can we not just take a breather for a few minutes and take stock of what we have done. We don't have to keep rushing to get more goals.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    We're very poor defensively, surely you can't disagree with this?

How do you measure defending? I try to use stats such as those posted.

Obviously we make mistakes, just like every other team.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

If you play benteke and sturridge together up top the problem is I cant see either of them working too hard when we dont have the ball. Suarez and sturridge worked due to the workrate of suarez. Ings has the same attitude and workrate as suarez just a shame he will score 20 goals less than suarez.

How do you measure defending? I try to use stats such as those posted.

Obviously we make mistakes, just like every other team.

How about stats such as scorelines? Like those against Stoke and Palace at end of last season, or WHU a few weeks ago?

I know that's pretty esoteric stuff, perhaps worth considering.

• Advertisement

corwill wrote: »
    How about stats such as scorelines? Like those against Stoke and Palace at end of last season, or WHU a few weeks ago?

I know that's pretty esoteric stuff, perhaps worth considering.

So you mean like a clean sheet away at Arsenal?

b6488ee3.gif

It's painfully obvious we can defend but for some reason, our players are always susceptible to having brain farts.

So you mean like a clean sheet away at Arsenal?

Does the defence have to be uniformly calamitous in every single game before it's recognised as a problem?

Also worth noting that we have a poor decision from the lino to thank for the cleansheet at Arsenal. And that we shipped 4 there as recently as April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Can someone tell me what post 5424 entails. Im on my phone and it doesn't list post numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Vicxas wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what post 5424 entails. Im on my phone and it doesn't list post numbers.

Mod warning to stop acting the tit basically.

TL;DR - "Everyone stop being twassocks. Or else. Hugs & kisses, SlickRic".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Now with added link in the OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's painfully obvious we can defend but for some reason, our players are always susceptible to having brain farts.

It's not.

I have eyes. Yes, the stats mean we might not be quite as bad as is sometimes made out. But we're not solid. I've seen that with my own two eyes.

If you were to list the teams in the Premier League who I'd trust to get put in a big defensive performance, or keep a clear sheet, I wouldn't put us top 8. And that might be generous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ugh, so stupid out of Vigouroux. He was in a good position professionally, in the perfect environment, playing regularly and doing well, and he's acted like a child.

Do that with your buddies, not your boss after already being in trouble for lateness. With so so so many guys fighting to make it in football, this kind of thing can be the difference between making it and not. Hope for his sake he gets another chance elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Goals conceded by season and manager (since football began )

2014-2015   48
    2013-2014 50
    2012-2013   43

2011-2012   40

2010-2011    44

2009-2010    35
    2008-2009    27
    2007-2008    28
    2006-2007    27
    2005-2006    25
    2004-2005    41

2003-2004    37
    2002-2003    41
    2001-2002   30
    2000-2001    39
    1999-2000    30
    1998-1999    49

1997-1998    42
    1996-1997    37
    1995-1996    34
    1994-1995    37

1993-1994    55
    1992-1993    55

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Ugh, so stupid out of Vigouroux. He was in a good position professionally, in the perfect environment, playing regularly and doing well, and he's acted like a child.

Do that with your buddies, not your boss after already being in trouble for lateness. With so so so many guys fighting to make it in football, this kind of thing can be the difference between making it and not. Hope for his sake he gets another chance elsewhere.

It's funny for all of about 60 seconds. If he pulled that at Melwood, I'd expect him to get a worldie of a bollocking, at the very least.

Goals conceded by season and manager (since football began )

Can you pop up the goals scored too please, I was only thinking earlier about whether 2013/2014 was our biggest haul.

Can you pop up the goals scored too please, I was only thinking earlier about whether 2013/2014 was our biggest haul.

Of course it was, and probably by a long distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

It's no coincidence that Skrtel being a regular has resulted in our poor defensive record. How we still play him I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I don't think we'd play as many hoofballs to Benteke if he was regularly in a side with Sturridge and Coutinho. From watching him at Villa he's more than capable when it comes to playing the ball on the deck and considering the nuisance he is Sturridge could get freedom similar to that he got playing with Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

_85011500_christian_benteke.jpg

"I spoke with him and I explained the situation. I said football has changed and is now more modern and I can adapt. It is not just about crossing, I can score normal goals too. I told him I am not afraid about it. If Liverpool bought me then they know how to use me. That's why I came here - I'll show I can play with my feet too."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

NukaCola wrote: »
    BR found his voice again I see. Where was all this after the Carlisle game?

Nothing to get upset about if we are being honest. I find it funny though that after a brutal result you send out Gary Mc and after a good one you cant get him to shut up.

the lads on the anfield wrap were saying that Gary Mc did the pre-match one as well and that it was planned that Gary Mc would do the post match too

• Advertisement

The Toffees just ripped the Baggies a new swiss, from being 2 zip down, came back to win 2-3, 2 goals and an assist from Lukaku. Could have done without that going into the derby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

mada999 wrote: »
    the lads on the anfield wrap were saying that Gary Mc did the pre-match one as well and that it was planned that Gary Mc would do the post match too

Did a double check and that is correct. At the time it seemed crazy that he'd just leave the post press stuff, however I do believe he should have done the post match regardless........it required some sort of explanation from the man in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I don't for a second think that we could achieve what Everton just did against West Brom, fighting back from 2 down.

Knex. wrote: »
    I don't for a second think that we could achieve what Everton just did against West Brom, fighting back from 2 down.

Twas their first ever in an away match! They were due!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I'd replace Rodgers in the morning, just to clarify, but keeping faith in Martinez this season after most Evertonians wanted him gone last season, seems to be paying off for them so far this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mudstack

I imagine Everton fans felt the same last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

mosstin wrote: »
    I'd replace Rodgers in the morning, just to clarify, but keeping faith in Martinez this season after most Evertonians wanted him gone last season, seems to be paying off for them so far this season.

Yeah, true, but if they did well this season, badly in the next, and started the one after ropey, then he'd feel the heat, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Grayditch wrote: »
    _85011500_christian_benteke.jpg

"I spoke with him and I explained the situation. I said football has changed and is now more modern and I can adapt. It is not just about crossing, I can score normal goals too. I told him I am not afraid about it. If Liverpool bought me then they know how to use me. That's why I came here - I'll show I can play with my feet too."

What he did against Utd wasn't normal.

He doesn't look to have hugely pure technique in placing the ball with a side foot but he sure can strike it sweetly with the laces.

A talentless ogre doesn't score that volley in the pre-season game or an immaculate overhead kick in Old Trafford.

He looks like he has awareness around him, the brains to use his size to his advantage by rolling players or holding them off and a surprising deftness to his short passing game.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what himself and Sturridge can do together. It has genuine potential to be a frightening partnership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

mosstin wrote: »
    7 inches.

The Irish man's curse..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

hopefully thats lukakus monthly beast of a game out of the way! 2 great games from him, both away (other one v Southampton)...yes I know I am clutching!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Gbear wrote: »
    What he did against Utd wasn't normal.

He doesn't look to have hugely pure technique in placing the ball with a side foot but he sure can strike it sweetly with the laces.

A talentless ogre doesn't score that volley in the pre-season game or an immaculate overhead kick in Old Trafford.

He looks like he has awareness around him, the brains to use his size to his advantage by rolling players or holding them off and a surprising deftness to his short passing game.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what himself and Sturridge can do together. It has genuine potential to be a frightening partnership.

Studge is the better finisher, they do have a good blend of abilities. The physios need to get them on the pitch at the same time just to see how it goes

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement