Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

corwill wrote: »
    I'm not sure that there's any meaningful comparison between putting in more effort at work and playing sport, at whatever level, through certain injuries, they're different things.

In the case of the latter, it's completely dependant on the nature of the injury, no matter how driven or committed one might be. Play through a few concussions, for instance, and you'll be familiarising yourself with the wide range of modern incontinence clothing in the fullness of time.

With my injury, a hard enough sneeze could have put it out again within the first couple of weeks, if I didn't keep it immobilised in a sling. No amount of iron will can change basic physiology.

The willingness of athletes to do just that has precipitated a number of Rugby / NFL rule changes to protect players from their own nature in recent years. I am not necessarily saying such attitudes are prudent, but elite sportspeople are cut from a different cloth and generally think very differently to you or I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

A little off topic but there is a new movie with Will Smith coming out about concussions in the NFL - will be of interest to some no doubt.

Apparently 70% of Championship games this year have been won by the side with less than 50% of possession - a stat flashed up on Sky in the aftermath of the weekend's Boro / Leeds match. I know it's a different league and level, etc but...interesting stat nonetheless.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

brevity wrote: »
    A little off topic but there is a new movie with Will Smith coming out about concussions in the NFL - will be of interest to some no doubt.

Apparently they bottled it somewhat because they didn't want to upset the clubs.

5starpool wrote: »
    Apparently they bottled it somewhat because they didn't want to upset the clubs.

Really? I suppose it's to be expected, can't imagine it's good for the profile of the sport. Lots of vested interests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Apparently 70% of Championship games this year have been won by the side with less than 50% of possession - a stat flashed up on Sky in the aftermath of the weekend's Boro / Leeds match. I know it's a different league and level, etc but...interesting stat nonetheless.

Championship can be a bit kick and rush , Would love to know what this stat is for PL and other Top tier leagues around Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If you are bored you can use a sites like flashscore or soccerbase and go through each winning game and check the poss stats and then calculate the % over 50%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Dug this article up from the telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/champions-league/10793482/Do-football-possession-statistics-indicate-which-team-will-win-Not-necessarily.html

Apparently the level of the football is the most important.
    At CL level possession wins games
    At championship level possession means more opportunity to make errors

According to the Spanish journalist Diego Torres in a recent book, Jose Mourinho’s attitude to possession at Real Madrid was summed up thus.

1. The game is won by the team who commits fewer errors.

2. Football favours whoever provokes more errors in the opposition.

3. Away from home, instead of trying to be superior to the opposition, it's better to encourage their mistakes.

4. Whoever has the ball is more likely to make a mistake.

5. Whoever renounces possession reduces the possibility of making a mistake.

6. Whoever has the ball has fear.

7. Whoever does not have it is therefore stronger

I read that in Mourinhos accent! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Really? I suppose it's to be expected, can't imagine it's good for the profile of the sport. Lots of vested interests.
    The documentary around it, "League of Denial", is supposed to be very good

• Advertisement

I'd sooner have the Sturridge we saw Saturday minding himself/being tackle shy (whatever way you want to describe it) available and playing 75%+ ish of games than a more committed version play a few games and than be out injured for months again.

He has the ability and also the mindset to modify his game to be that bit smart in avoiding injuries imo. He's turned 26 too so no doubt is mindful that he doesn't want to miss another season over the next 4 - 6 years :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Rodgers said it himself last year about Sturridge needing to play through the pain barrier

"A player will never be 100% fit, they’re always carrying something. He just needs to find a way to, physically and mentally, keep himself as fit as he can"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpools-injury-jinxed-daniel-sturridge-5506581

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Rodgers said it himself last year about Sturridge needing to play through the pain barrier

"A player will never be 100% fit, they’re always carrying something. He just needs to find a way to, physically and mentally, keep himself as fit as he can"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpools-injury-jinxed-daniel-sturridge-5506581

I was just listening to the latest TAW podcast and they mentioned Sturridge and his first goal at the weekend,they think he wouldn't have even attempted it last season due to the positioning of his body when he struck the ball. I think they're right, hopefully he has broken that mental barrier.

There's a difference between playing through some low-level, non-specific ache/pain and coming back from a muscle snapping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I was just listening to the latest TAW podcast and they mentioned Sturridge and his first goal at the weekend,they think he wouldn't have even attempted it last season due to the positioning of his body when he struck the ball. I think they're right, hopefully he has broken that mental barrier.

Yeah, showed great technique just like his 13/14 form.

As you say, hopefully he's broken that barrier and can kick on for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Saw this over in reddit. Cruyff talks about the diamond formation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Steve Morgan selling up at Wolves, almost bought Liverpool once before the Texans did. Dunno if he would have been worse than them but he certainly didn't take Wolves to the next level.

Steve Morgan selling up at Wolves, almost bought Liverpool once before the Texans did. Dunno if he would have been worse than them but he certainly didn't take Wolves to the next level.

Clearly didn't have the resources.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Clearly didn't have the resources.

More like he didn't know how to load debt onto a club whilst trying to use it as piggy bank. Honest guy left behind by the scale of football finances and the need to take large loans to develop infrastructure and invest. You can't do it with your own money anymore unless you are a desert tycoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Knex. wrote: »
    Saw this over in reddit. Cruyff talks about the diamond formation

I remember when Rodgers used to play the diamond,

or Suarez as he's more commonly referred to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

More like he didn't know how to load debt onto a club whilst trying to use it as piggy bank. Honest guy left behind by the scale of football finances and the need to take large loans to develop infrastructure and invest. You can't do it with your own money anymore unless you are a desert tycoon.

To even be that kind of shyster, you need to have more behind you than Morgan did. You'd need to have a certain amount of skin in the game yourself. "Only" being a multi-millionaire hasn't cut it for a while in football. Jack Walker wouldn't keep Blackburn in the Championship these days, let alone fund an EPL title challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

There are a few rumours (Gerrards book alludes to them) that Sturridge is very very reluctant to return to action when he has been injured. He's apparently not a fan of taking a pain killing injection and playing though the pain

This of course is his right and some would say is the correct thing to do but might explain why when he is out, its for a longer time than others.

Might also have contributed to his goals per game ratio, when some of the others played at less than 100%.
    Or he's just rather very good.

Yep, same thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sacking Mick and replacing him with a no mark Terry Connor was his crowning achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just got confirmation of my tickets for the Sion game:)

rob316 wrote: »
    Sacking Mick and replacing him with a no mark Terry Connor was his crowning achievement.

That's probably more Jez Moxey than the owner.

Although what he was thinking putting a guy called Jez in charge...

Will you stick around for the derby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Another fair weather fan deserting the match thread at the first sniff of a ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

You poor thing.

Just watching that Cruyff video again

Gomez--Skitles--Sakho

<--Lucas
    Can
    Moreno
    Milner

Ings--Sturridge--Coutinho

Which might sound a bit mad, but Moreno would be able to get up and down on the left, while Lucas would look more to the right with Can bombing on from that flank. Gomez and Sakho are also quick enough to cover the ground from defence. Coutinho would be floating in truth.

Bogdan, Toure, Ibe, Rossiter, Gomez, Origi, Allen, Lallana all likely to start on Thursday according to twitter.

We *may* win, but are these games essentially only being used as fodder to give players games? I have distaste for that approach, and no, doing this won't guarantee us a positive result on Sunday before anyone comes up with that old chestnut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,491 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

11 red cards between Everton and Liverpool between 2005 and 2010
    1 red card between Everton and Liverpool between oct 2010 - Oct 2015 and that was rescinded so not deserved.

Hopefully we show some fight

1 red card between Everton and Liverpool between oct 2010 - Oct 2015 and that was rescinded so not deserved.

Yeah nothing like showing fight and going down to ten men and leaving your teammates at a huge disadvantage. Not a fan of the Gerrard approach, fight needs to be channeled into good build-up play and goals.

Hopefullly we don't have to show too much "fight" and that we win the game by being the better footballing side on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Bogdan, Toure, Ibe, Rossiter, Gomez, Origi, Allen, Lallana all likely to start on Thursday according to twitter.

We *may* win, but are these games essentially only being used as fodder to give players games? I have distaste for that approach, and no, doing this won't guarantee us a positive result on Sunday before anyone comes up with that old chestnut.

At least it's a stronger team than what we were fielding in the past few years in Europe.

I'd be in favour of the Mourinho approach in that head should rule over heart in derby games.

I'd be in favour of the Mourinho approach in that head should rule over heart in derby games.

Exactly. Heart wins no matches in this sport, it only really counts in physical sports like rugby, boxing, MMA etc.

Heart gets you destroyed in football because you over-commit to challenges and leave yourself open. When a team makes an impressive comeback like Everton did last night, it has fcuk all to do with heart, and everything to do with a change of tactics. Leave the emotion at home and do the job you're being paid so handsomely for.

Needed to get that out of my system.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    At least it's a stronger team than what we were fielding in the past few years in Europe.

On paper probably, but when you have a lot of players with limited game time together (some with limited game time in general this season) it's very hard to get anything but a disjointed performance. It's a fairly safe bet as well I think that we'll be back to 1 up front I'd say..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,491 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

martyos121 wrote: »
    Yeah nothing like showing fight and going down to ten men and leaving your teammates at a huge disadvantage. Not a fan of the Gerrard approach, fight needs to be channeled into good build-up play and goals.

True.
    I would hate to see us do what we did at United though. I wanna see some passion, to go there to compete ,not to sit back and try absorb what Everton can throw at us.
    Rodgers would be slaughtered if he parked the bus and showed no desire to go at them. You can show fight without getting sent off.
    Suarez never gets sent off but dam does it fight.

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Exactly. Heart wins no matches in this sport, it only really counts in physical sports like rugby, boxing, MMA etc.

Heart gets you destroyed in football because you over-commit to challenges and leave yourself open. When a team makes an impressive comeback like Everton did last night, it has fcuk all to do with heart, and everything to do with a change of tactics. Leave the emotion at home and do the job you're being paid so handsomely for.

Needed to get that out of my system.

Preach. Concentration >>>>"passion".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

No problem with some weaker players being fielded against Sion. I'd like for us to stick to 2 up top though.

I'd view heart as important - in that it's needed to give a good performance, not let things that are happening on the pitch (or off it) affect you.

I'd say some players struggle being able to manage this aspect of the game.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

On paper probably, but when you have a lot of players with limited game time together (some with limited game time in general this season) it's very hard to get anything but a disjointed performance. It's a fairly safe bet as well I think that we'll be back to 1 up front I'd say..

It is a chance for those players not in the more familiar starting 11 to get a run out and get noticed. Sahko and Moreno managed last time out.
    I don't think there is tha much risk given there are a few more experienced players there like Toure, Lallana and Allen...but yes, I suspect the fluidity will be lacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I'm all about heart.

No problem with some weaker players being fielded against Sion. I'd like for us to stick to 2 up top though.

Will you have a problem with it if we lose?

Heart is not about being reckless or like headless chickens, it's about caring and giving your utmost and showing you care. I'm all for that in sports teams I like. Nothing worse than watching people go through the motions like Liverpool players have been doing far too often of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Will you have a problem with it if we lose?

I'll be pissed off if we lose, not because of the team fielded though but because I think a team like that should still be beating the likes of Sion (admittedly I know little about Sion)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Differentiating between the heart and the mind is bit bolloxy.

Its all about focusing the mind, not letting emotions get in the way, and staying calm and committed.

Those on about boxing and MMA, this is even more true for them. You cannot let emotions take over in the ring, or the cage, where the slightest mistake leads to you being on your face.

Bit more leeway in football, but you can be passionate and focused all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

corwill wrote: »
    Will you stick around for the derby?

No, back on Saturday morning

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement