Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Good stuff. It makes a certain amount of sense for them to have waited for this international break to make their move.

My preferences from those linked anyway;

1) Klopp
    2) Ancelotti
    3 )De Boer.

I think Ancelotti is the better manager with better players, but I think we'd benefit more from Klopp's high intensity, hands on style. From what i've heard over the years, Ancelotti seems like a guy who lets his players express themselves, and plays to their strengths. While this would certainly be of benefit to us, Klopp has that bit more experience working with less proven players and getting the very best out of them, and adding that bit of steel we're so often missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

It makes zero sense to wait for the International break. Its just more clickbait with a hint of guess work that will result in a great "we had it first" celebration IF one of the million guesses the produce actually happens

We play Everton the weekend so of course its easy to predict "the owners will look at the result of the game and have opinions on it". But that does not mean that they will look at losing to Everton any worse than some of the results already.

Fact is if they wanted him gone they would have sacked him in May. They decided to give him a chance. In fact they were so serious about giving him a chance they gave him more money to spend.

IF they were unsure they would not have given him anything to spend!

IF they are giving him a chance then surely you can all see that "a chance" will not be considered a handful of games. He will get until Christmas I am sure of. The owners will want to give him as strong a chance as possible to see a return on investment. If there is no ROI in December he may well be replaced but this weekend???? NO WAY

Just as likely as him being sacked last Friday.

PS: IF we beat Everton Sunday, we will see another story similar to this when the premiership returns. This story will keep getting dragged up until he gets sacked. Sad or not, that is fact

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Oooooh.

3 things on that tweet.

1. It's from Joyce. He seems to be the most 'in the know' journalist recently.
    2. Rodgers position will be looked at by the owners.
    3. Crucially the 2 names mentioned as potential replacements are positive.

Hopefully any examination of Rodgers position will also look at the structures involved in the buying of players, as in the transfer committee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

According to that Joyce piece,Rodgers thinks 'with a bit of luck we might beat Everton'

Wtf kind of attitude is that to be going into the derby with?

He's turning into Hodgson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Oooooh.

3 things on that tweet.

1. It's from Joyce. He seems to be the most 'in the know' journalist recently.
    2. Rodgers position will be looked at by the owners.
    3. Crucially the 2 names mentioned as potential replacements are positive.

Hopefully any examination of Rodgers position will also look at the structures involved in the buying of players, as in the transfer committee

Yeah, but unfortunately there's very little of substance in the article, however much Joyce is ITK. He just says that BR's "position is set to be scrutinised by owners Fenway Sports Group at the start of the next week's international break with Jurgen Klopp and Carlo Ancelotti alternative options for the hot-seat". Sure there's nothing in that, certainly nothing new or in anyway definitive.

The rest of the article is composed of BR's usual horse manure, furiously managing expectations downwards as best he can.

• Advertisement

According to that Joyce piece,Rodgers thinks 'with a bit of luck we might beat Everton'

Wtf kind of attitude is that to be going into the derby with?

He's turning into Hodgson.

I especially liked "does not fear the sack primarily because his faith in his methods has not been affected by a downturn in results...". That's Baron-Munchausen-level detachment from reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

We are currently in 9th place with a minus 2 goal difference.

For a perfect weekend what Rodgers needs to happen:

First off win our own game to take us to 14 points and improve the goal difference.

Then:
    Norwich to beat Leicester
    Southampton to beat Chelsea to keep Chelsea as far behind as possible (a draw would do too)
    West Brom to beat Crystal Palace (again a draw would do too)
    Swansea to beat Spurs
    Newcastle to beat Man City
    Bournemouth to beat Watford

If these results played out Liverpool would finish the weekend in third place on 14 points, 1 point behind second place Man City.

Rodgers worst case scenario is we lose our game to remain on 11 points and a worse goal difference lets say -3 (we lose 1-0).

Then:
    Norwich beat Leicester to take them to 12 points
    Southampton beat Chelsea to take them to 12 points
    West Brom beat Crystal Palace to take them to 11 points (if they win 4-0 they would go above us on goal difference)
    Swansea beat Spurs to take them to 12 points
    Watford beat Bournemouth to take them to 12 points

If these results played out we would finish the weekend in 14th place I think at worst.

If we draw against Everton and then we'll finish the weekend anywhere between 9th and 13th depending on results for teams like Norwich, Swansea, Southampton and Watford.

I think out of the 3 scenarios the draw is the most likely outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

March 17th:

"Manchester City's result at the weekend gives us an opportunity to finish second," Rodgers said.
    "Our mentality, the run and confidence we have at the moment we're just going to take that into every game and see where it takes us."

April 23rd:
    “We sit in fifth place, having reached two cup semi-finals, which is probably on par with where we are at."

“I don’t think there is anyone better, that is the reality of how I see it,” he said. “Whenever you are at a club like Liverpool you will have many names mentioned."

“I have a strong relationship with the owners and the partnership who run the club.

“They understand, like when we spoke at the beginning, this was going to be a process, this is not a group of ready-made players who were used to winning.

“I’ve not taken over a machine that was winning trophies for 10 years.

“That is something we are clear on but of course we want to be better next year.”

In the space of a month he went from confidently talking about finishing second to accepting that fifth is where Liverpool should be at. That attitude has been brought in to this season where again,

“I am the same guy who nearly won us the league, but better,” said Rodgers.

“I think I have shown in the early stages of my management – without being arrogant – that with a talented group of players I can compete at the top end of the league. I know how to manage top players. If you give me the tools, I’ll do the work.”

I'm all for self belief and backing yourself but to actually think that there is no manager out there better than him to be in charge of Liverpool and that it is the players fault or the owners fault for not giving him more talented players is bordering on delusional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

dogbert27 wrote: »

I'm all for self belief and backing yourself but to actually think that there is no manager out there better than him to be in charge of Liverpool and that it is the players fault or the owners fault for not giving him more talented players is bordering on delusional.

Is it ****.

Even in real life, the vast majority of career orientated profeasionals believe they are the best person for their job. Any faults can largely be attributed to HR/Accounting/Ops etc, ie anyone but themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Is it ****.

Even in real life, the vast majority of career orientated profeasionals believe they are the best person for their job. Any faults can largely be attributed to HR/Accounting/Ops etc, ie anyone but themselves

Indeed. BR attributes all his faults to Oops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Under-fire Brendan Rodgers perfect fit for England
    Matt Dickinson

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/columnists/mattdickinson/article4573947.ece
    Cue "Rodgers for England!" chants at the derby. It might just work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Talisman wrote: »

Rodgers might be suited for international management. Plenty of time to prepare for games and get his Philosophy over to players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Whatever about B-Rod for England....
    At this stage given the paucity of any tactical nous, goals and just plain auld fecking cop on on the part of our B-Rod!
    I'd rather Mike Bassett for Liverpool! :D
    At least then we'd have a bit of that "luck" we are lacking.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    We are currently in 9th place with a minus 2 goal difference.

For a perfect weekend what Rodgers needs to happen:

First off win our own game to take us to 14 points and improve the goal difference.

Then:
    Norwich to beat Leicester
    Southampton to beat Chelsea to keep Chelsea as far behind as possible (a draw would do too)
    West Brom to beat Crystal Palace (again a draw would do too)
    Swansea to beat Spurs
    Newcastle to beat Man City
    Bournemouth to beat Watford

If these results played out Liverpool would finish the weekend in third place on 14 points, 1 point behind second place Man City.

Rodgers worst case scenario is we lose our game to remain on 11 points and a worse goal difference lets say -3 (we lose 1-0).

Then:
    Norwich beat Leicester to take them to 12 points
    Southampton beat Chelsea to take them to 12 points
    West Brom beat Crystal Palace to take them to 11 points (if they win 4-0 they would go above us on goal difference)
    Swansea beat Spurs to take them to 12 points
    Watford beat Bournemouth to take them to 12 points

If these results played out we would finish the weekend in 14th place I think at worst.

If we draw against Everton and then we'll finish the weekend anywhere between 9th and 13th depending on results for teams like Norwich, Swansea, Southampton and Watford.

I think out of the 3 scenarios the draw is the most likely outcome.
    From Rodgers perspective I don't think the result really matters. His record against Everton is one win and five draws. If however he's unable to get a performance out of the players for this game then he truly has nowhere left to hide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

From Rodgers perspective I don't think the result really matters. His record against Everton is one win and five draws. If however he's unable to get a performance out of the players for this game then he truly has nowhere left to hide.

Is this true? He was bragging about a couple of wins and draws in his post match interview Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Was Lovren injured on Thursday or just left out of the squad?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Is this true? He was bragging about a couple of wins and draws in his post match interview Thursday.

28 October 2012 : 2 - 2 : Goodison Park
    5 May 2013 : 0 - 0 : Anfield
    23 November 2013 : 3 - 3 : Goodison Park
    28 January 2014 : 4 - 0 : Anfield
    27 September 2014 : 1 - 1 : Anfield
    7 February 2015 : 0 - 0 : Goodison Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

doc_17 wrote: »
    Was Lovren injured on Thursday or just left out of the squad?

Blew his ankle out last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

This thing about not having the tools is so idiotic, because it's basically a slap in the face to the players. I wouldn't blame the lads if they struggled to find the motivation to play for him after that.

He really does come across as a self serving muppet.

Knex. wrote: »
    Blew his ankle out last week.

Yep, ligaments, out for 2 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mudstack

I'm new to this forum, was it always so negative?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Just watched the video - he was talking about the beginning of the season in that segment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

mudstack wrote: »

You have arrived at a difficult time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

You could maybe think it reflects the mood inside the stadium if you hadn't been there before after the recent few games. "I'm new to Anfield, was it always so negative?". With good reason I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mudstack

jaykay74 wrote: »
    You could maybe think it reflects the mood inside the stadium if you hadn't been there before after the recent few games. "I'm new to Anfield, was it always so negative?". With good reason I think.

I think maybe the unexpected highs of the season before last have blown things out of proportion. We weren't expected to finish in the top 4 or 5 and went on to nearly win the league.

here is some excitement from Graeme Kelly
    Nabeen Aryal ‏@Nabeen_LFC 1h1 hour ago
    @GraemeKelly1 please reply. Do we have any chance of getting Klopp ???

Graeme Kelly ‏@GraemeKelly1 1h1 hour ago
    @Nabeen_LFC I don't think so. Let's wait and see.
    Graeme Kelly ‏@GraemeKelly1 34m34 minutes ago
    @James_Cou10 I don't know. Just whispers. We've spoke to Carlo and have a long term dialogue with FDB. Who knows. Not Klopp.

FDB is De Boer rather than an insurance company deal.

If we said no, we'd be sort of confirming your suspicions, wouldn't we? You have us in a bind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I think maybe the unexpected highs of the season before last have blown things out of proportion. We weren't expected to finish in the top 4 or 5 and went on to nearly win the league.

Blown what out of proportion?
    Not expecting a top 5 finish? Are you serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The Klopp thing could easily change I would think & hope. Unless we got Ancelotti it would make no sense not to talk too him. FDB wouldn't be a bad apointment either though but a level below Klopp.

• Advertisement

Sterling interview here throwing a light on his last days at the club. He once wore a United jersey to the 2007 Cup Final? :eek:
    Once a red, always a blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

They're holding out for De Boer. FSG v Ajax. Has to be.

Obtuse enough defence by Barrett of his "tourist" twitter storm - http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/10/liverpool-tourists-locals-and-our-famous-atmosphere/

I can't remember out-of-town fans ever looking for priority over locals, that's a strawman right there. Even referring to OTT-ers as "tourists", or conflating the two, as Barrett does, is utter ****e. Creating division and hostility needlessly. Smalltime, evertonian attitude.

mosstin wrote: »
    Sterling interview here throwing a light on his last days at the club. He once wore a United jersey to the 2007 Cup Final? :eek:
    Once a red, always a blue.

He was certainly carefully coached before the interview, Ward is savier and more capable of subtlety than I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

You can go on and on about specific problems about what's wrong with the squad or what tactics are failing, but against Sion we missed a bag of sitters.
    We were a much more dangerous team with a lot more quality.

We also didn't win the game.

Against Villa we didn't miss a bag of sitters and contrived to allow a team that poor to get back within striking distance of us twice.

There's a pattern of this kind of thing.

After the first season, we had improved any way you wanted to cut it - more points, better, younger, cheaper squad, more coherent brand of football, a few new rising stars.
    Great. Didn't matter how we went about it. We were at low starting base so progress was needed.

But there has always been a lack of an edge to our game under Rodgers. I think it's been born out most clearly in cup games, against top sides and when the **** has hit the fan and we've gone through some bad form.

All managers can throw away leads or fail to raise the team's game against the top sides - it's not about whether you do it or not - it's about how often you do it.

Maybe it's just about philosophy.

Rafa isn't a defensive coach. You can't be and be that fond of scoring lots of goals. But he's certainly ruthless and pragmatic.
    Winning is the be all and end all. So 1-0 is fine.
    But 5-0 is great too and should be encouraged. Players want to play great football, opponents want to the scoreline to be close so they can catch you, fans want to go ape**** in the stands - it doesn't have to be pretty for the sake of it to be pretty in practice.

I don't get that sense with Rodgers.
    There seems to be an idea about how we should go about playing football - that idea might change, but whatever it is, it drives not just our style of play but also our temperament and direction on the pitch.

When things went well in 13/14, we were carried to victory by that kind of attitude. We played our game and trusted the victories would come, and we were so mental up front that we nearly pulled it off.

It's a poetic sort of idea, and I think it can work with the right resources or modest enough targets, but it's not what we've needed long term.
    That kind of attitude is probably something for teams that are happy with their lot in life, whether they're mid-table or winning everything in sight, but we haven't been in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I would be very happy with De Boer, tbh. I don't see it even remotely like the Rodgers appointment.

You don't win four Dutch titles in a row at Ajax without having the personality and the capabilities to cut it at the top tier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

This is the thread for Liverpool Football Club who are currently having a mare, but I agree that someone should have at least broken out the tea cakes upon your arrival. I mean, we were keeping them for the celebrations for beating Sion, but they're just gonna be sitting in that drawer, now. Might as well go nuts.

haty the **** is wrong wthtis thsi fwebsite?"¬"£ :amd:

haty the **** is wrong wthtis thsi fwebsite?"¬"£ :amd:

It's doing my head in at this stage. Ridiculous. I don't even know if there's any point to this typing because the post will probably just get lost like a couple of posts last night. Not that it's a great post or anything.

Sorry?! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Nah it was very positive back in the 80's! :p

• Advertisement

Rodgers has branched into web development and is rebuilding the site. It'll be great in time, as longs as boards give him the right tools. Hysteria from kerigooney and Harry doesn't help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

A lot of other forums are kinda the same imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Im watching Liverpool academy VS Man U academy. 2-0 tp Liverpool. Its in Carrington i think. Alves in no.10 for us looks very handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

It's doing my head in at this stage. Ridiculous. I don't even know if there's any point to this typing because the post will probably just get lost like a couple of posts last night. Not that it's a great post or anything.

Don't be shy, the post was outstanding.

3-0

4-0

Ka-****ing BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

If we try to be funny we're told we're not and we're too social.

So everything is shit now. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well I'm positive in my wanting Rodgers out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement