Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Knex. wrote: »
    I would be very happy with De Boer, tbh. I don't see it even remotely like the Rodgers appointment.

You don't win four Dutch titles in a row at Ajax without having the personality and the capabilities to cut it at the top tier.

He came into a very good setup at Ajax. I wont belittle his achievements but he was well setup and had excellent backroom staff as well as a wealth of good players throughout the squad, and a strong academy. He was setup for success, and had excellent support in every area. It will be very different here.

We are a mess top to bottom in the football side of things. A structure change throughout is needed. We could do worse than implementing what Ajax have done but only changing the manager wont be enough for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I'd be happy with Frank De Boer. He would certainly be my 'third' choice of those currently available, but in saying that, he's a manager that likes to play good, attacking ball and has the credentials to back his opinions and abilities. As Knew said, you don't win four titles with Ajax if you don't have the ability or personality to cut it at the top level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Here Boards, your website is poxy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The sqslstate of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Good post over on This is Anfield
    To me Rodgers was never the right man for the role.

His tenure has been one where I have become increasingly disconnected with the club as he chipped away at it moulding it in his own image. Critically I have never been able to identify with him, not his ability as a manager but who he is as a man. His values his ethos, what he represents. As players came and went ,the values, ethos, what the club they represent also sadly changed.

I generally hate doing Shankly quotes, but one is most pertinent "For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

To be honest who in our team personifies that ?

If Lallana saw a brick wall he would probably to a cruyff turn before deciding to go back. Allen would probably injure himself before he approached the wall. Lovren would probably run through the wrong bloody wall.

To many middle of the road nearly men. To many men who somehow built a reputation , but actually lack any real substance when you scratch beneath the thin vinear.

Its sad that while I struggle to identify with the manager, am now really struggling with many of our players. What kid grows up wanting to be the next Mignolet ? or Milner ? or Borini ? To many players that seem here to pick up a pay cheque very very few with a real connection to the club or city. We lack a heart to our team. A heart that has not just been personified by local players (Fowler, Carragher, Gerrard) but one we have seen with outside players as well (Agger, Pepe, Alonso, Rise, Bellamy). Players who connected to the club and the people. Players who would do anything to see us succeed.

To many players are simply at this club for themselves. Is it any wonder when every second word from our managers mouth is me, and rarely we. He has been here 4 bloody years and still he bleats on about his time at Swansea. Type manager of the year and Rodgers and I can easily find 8 or 9 examples of him stating this to the press in defence of poor form. A poster last week pointed out he said "I" 48 times in a short extract of an interview. Listen to him speak its always "any one that has followed my career knows" rather than "anyone who has watched liverpool knows". Its self promotion, its ensuring he takes the plaudits, its down to him. Yet if it goes wrong, he is a manager who deflect blame onto others rather than taking it upon himself. From blaming the players to the groundsman it is simply someone I cant identify with.

Lets say Klopp was made manager tomorrow. Would any of us argue if he immediately said Mignolet, Lovren, Toure, Enrique, Milner, Allen, , Lallana, Origi you can go find a new club ? Most of us would not blink twice as there are better options out there. Sad thing is, 300M on and we need a mass clear out again ! Thats a sackable offence just there irrespective of results.

People say that Rodgers is a fraud, and he is. He is fake, with his persona is about as real as the colour of his teeth. The best piece of advice I ever got given at work was being told simply be yourself. As people will see the bull****. Thats what people as seeing now. All the Bull****, the façade. However the damage is far greater than our manager. Many of our players are also frauds. They have the backbone of a jellyfish and are not fit to wear the shirt.

I dont want Rodgers to go because of his tactics, or his ability. I want him to go so that I can connect to the club I love. Likewise I want Klopp here not because of his record of winning (Ancelotti's record is far superior) but because he shows the passion, demeanour and attitude I expect in a Liverpool manager

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

corwill wrote: »
    Obtuse enough defence by Barrett of his "tourist" twitter storm - http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/10/liverpool-tourists-locals-and-our-famous-atmosphere/

I can't remember out-of-town fans ever looking for priority over locals, that's a strawman right there. Even referring to OTT-ers as "tourists", or conflating the two, as Barrett does, is utter ****e. Creating division and hostility needlessly. Smalltime, evertonian attitude.

They don't at an individual level but Thomas Cook the clubs 'travel partner do'. Nobody knows the numbers Thomas Cook get but you can be sure its increasing. The club from a money point of view would want lads going over once a season and spending a lot in the club shop, over lads going week in week out and just leaving after the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mudstack

NukaCola wrote: »
    Blown what out of proportion?
    Not expecting a top 5 finish? Are you serious?

Yes, do you not remember?

mudstack wrote: »
    Yes, do you not remember?

I must have missed the year where nobody expected us to challenge for top 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Watching Sterling for City. Maybe he is out of form & will improve as he is only 20 but getting 50m for him looks an incredible deal for us. Not beating players & can't even strike the ball correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well as he never could really shoot for Liverpool then that won't change quickly or maybe at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Sure look at SWP, he never learned to shoot, and it ruined his career. You can't be a winger these days and not be able to strike a ball. £50m is one of the best deals we've ever gotten, he barely looks a £20m player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Have Boards even put up a post anywhere where they acknowledge the site isn't working properly and they're trying to rectify it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

All the excitement we had about Sterling was mainly about his potential based on the good stuff we had already seen, before people start calling everyone in the thread revisionists.

I still think he'll click onto being that force we wanted him to be for us. Be fairly funny if he didn't, though.

Okay, maybe we were expected to challenge top 5 but 6 teams had finished above us the season before and nobody was giving us a chance of top 4.

We had finished outside the top 5 the 4 previous seasons.

You remember now?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 693 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

monkey9 wrote: »
    Have Boards even put up a post anywhere where they acknowledge the site isn't working properly and they're trying to rectify it?
    About 3 or 4 times. But it's gone now.

Okay, maybe we were expected to challenge top 5 but 6 teams had finished above us the season before and nobody was giving us a chance of top 4.

You remember now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

You remember now?

You remember now?

Deja vu

test

monkey9 wrote: »

What's wrong...? No issues for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I'm new to this forum, was it always completely ****in broken with posts disappearing, reappearing and disappearing again?

A posts disappearing etc and out of sync. I see now, very annoying. Feel free to pop over the new Irishkop.com while boards is playing up.

You remember now?

Nobody was giving us a realistic chance for top 4 maybe, but my question was in relation to top 5, which you just conceded, so no I dont remember or have any idea what you meant when you said "We weren't expected to finish in the top 4 or 5 and went on to nearly win the league". I would argue a great deal of people would have expected a top 5 finish, whether thats fair or not is a different discussion entirely.

To answer address your other point
    I think maybe the unexpected highs of the season before last have blown things out of proportion.

Blown what out of proportion? Expectations?

I honestly think at this stage, people who think we shouldn't be challenging for a top 4 place are taking all the blame for the teams underperformance off the manager.

I don't think de Boer would walk out of Ajax mid season even if the Liverpool job was on offer next week.

He would most likely if offered the job take it next summer and that would mean a caretaker manager at Liverpool which I couldn't see FSG doing that after Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

De Boer wouldn't be the worst appointment, not as proven as Ancelotti or Klopp obviously who should be our first choices, but aside from them I think he's probably the next best name linked with the job. Definitely more realistic anyway as I'd be fairly confident that he would take the job if he was offered it.

Haven't been this pessimistic going into a Merseyside derby in a while, have a feeling Everton will win and that will be the end of Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

It's hard to take that post on This is Anfield seriously. The writer seems to have his head stuck in the clouds.

What kid grows up wanting to be the next Mignolet ? or Milner ? or Borini ? To many players that seem here to pick up a pay cheque very very few with a real connection to the club or city. We lack a heart to our team. A heart that has not just been personified by local players (Fowler, Carragher, Gerrard) but one we have seen with outside players as well (Agger, Pepe, Alonso, Rise, Bellamy). Players who connected to the club and the people. Players who would do anything to see us succeed.

What kids wants to grow up to be an Agger, Riise or Bellamy? These players connected with the club because they were part of a very successful team.

Agger- I love how in the piece he early says that Allen would get injured approaching the wall, Aggers would get injured just looking at it.
    Bellamy - Great player but even he admitted he got complacent and stopped putting the work in when playing for Liverpool.
    Bellamy - I love the heart, lacked the skill though. He's a more talented Borini.

As for talking about heart and mentioning Robbie Fowler, is he having a laugh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

People championing DeBoer will be the first ones to shove that knife in his back.

Ajax would just get Dennis Bergkamp to take over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

martyos121 wrote: »
    Sure look at SWP, he never learned to shoot, and it ruined his career. You can't be a winger these days and not be able to strike a ball. £50m is one of the best deals we've ever gotten, he barely looks a £20m player.

SWP's breakout season i seem to remember him scoring a number of great goals from distance. Think his problems were far more than shooting, he couldn't dribble or pass.

Nobody was giving us a realistic chance for top 4 maybe, but my question was in relation to top 5, which you just conceded, so no I dont remember or have any idea what you meant when you said "We weren't expected to finish in the top 4 or 5 and went on to nearly win the league". I would argue a great deal of people would have expected a top 5 finish, whether thats fair or not is a different discussion entirely.

To answer address your other point

Blown what out of proportion? Expectations?

I honestly think at this stage, people who think we shouldn't be challenging for a top 4 place are taking all the blame for the teams underperformance off the manager.

So you do remember.

Hoped for a top 5 finish maybe.

He got the best out of the players that season.

The club signed players he didn't want last season.

None of the top players playing for Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City or Arsenal would come to us. Imagine we had Aguero, Kompany or Sanchez.

Werner said Rodgers was more involved in the transfer dealings this season. They look like good signings to me and most others before the season started.

They will take time to gel.

It looks like he'll get the sack, unfortunately though before that.

Then you can start complaining about the next guy if he loses a few games and doesn't pick the team or play the way you know to be right.
    Maybe it'll be you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Chelsea's form has me a bit worried about options once the managerial merry-go-round starts up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

Deja vu
    Not Again?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If Chelsea sack Murihno if they lose to Southampton it could dry up our options should Rodgers get the boot.

Vicxas wrote: »
    If Chelsea sack Murihno if they lose to Southampton it could dry up our options should Rodgers get the boot.

Only by one, and it could even add another hat to the ring.

Not really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Chelsea look an absolute mess this season, we should be talking about taking advantage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I'd be shocked to see them sack jose. I don't think they will sack him in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I think José might be available very soon :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Chelsea's fall from grace really puts ours into perspective.

I don't know about that. They're having one bad season.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Chelsea's fall from grace really puts ours into perspective.

They'll still finish comfortably ahead of us, at least 10 points I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Remember in 13/14 when people kept saying United would eventually find their feet and finish well? It doesn't seem likely but maybe Chelsea are the team that we can squeeze in ahead of this year, that is of course if we can get going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Grayditch wrote: »
    I don't know about that. They're having one bad season.

One bad month.. Highly probable that they will still finish 2nd.

They'll get their form back in time for our game with them.

Jose in for 2 seasons then sack him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

If Mourinho ever took over as Liverpool manager I'd take all my clothes off and pose for a picture outside the GPO.

Honestly.

So you do remember.

Then you can start complaining about the next guy if he loses a few games and doesn't pick the team or play the way you know to be right.

If your not going to bother to even read what I post dont bother replying to me. Seriously, did you even read my posts. Numerous times I said I cant remember anyone not expecting a challenge for top 5 in that season we came second. Yet you keep saying "Remember now" etc.

I judged BR after 3+ seasons. I wrote off last season based on his second season. I give him a lot of credit for that season when others haven't but he has been underperforming for over a year now.

Dont reply to this post as I have no interest in discussing this further, especially with someone who cant grasp the meaning of what I post and jump on me for wanting a manager gone when I've been very reasonable in my reasons for wanting him replaced.

If your not going to bother to even read what I post dont bother replying to me. Seriously, did you even read my posts. Numerous times I said I cant remember anyone not expecting a challenge for top 5 in that season we came second. Yet you keep saying "Remember now" etc.

I judged BR after 3+ seasons. I wrote off last season based on his second season. I give him a lot of credit for that season when others haven't but he has been underperforming for over a year now.

Dont reply to this post as I have no interest in discussing this further, especially with someone who cant grasp the meaning of what I post and jump on me for wanting a manager gone when I've been very reasonable in my reasons for wanting him replaced.

You wrote off last season yet you are judging him on the last year....

You can't remember us finishing outside top 5 for 4 years and don't remember people not expecting us not to finish in top 5 the following year.

Respond if you want, it's a public forum after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Jesus, Chelsea are more ****ed than boards at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Knex. wrote: »
    Jesus, Chelsea are more ****ed than boards at the moment

http://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2015/oct/03/chelsea-southampton-premier-league-live
    Chelsea are 16th, having sourced a mere eight points from their first eight games. No team has ever suffered a start like that and finished higher than fifth.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement