Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,662 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Augme wrote: »
    Really doesn't seem like 25 years since this happened. How time flies....

Lfc_cl_final.jpg

?? Its not 25 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

give it a few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That was good.

A bump for those who didn't see it.

That 2013/2014 was just a brilliant rollercoaster of emotion, I loved it, Rodgers will be fondly remembered by me for that.

Suarez hitting the post against Arsenal! Always remember that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

3 blocked now for quoting him. Good riddance.

Can the posters I like please not fall afoul of this new rule. Thanks.

Tipsy?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,673 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

K-9 wrote: »
    Tipsy?

The Raven.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I'm feeling a little sad for Brendan, he fancied himself a little and had a couple of naff soundbites "character" etc. which in all honesty i dont really think were too cringeworthy.

He never compromised the club's integrity, even when he was under a lot of pressure which is something i will give him a lot of credit for. His time was up, but theres no need to kick the man while he's down.

I'm looking forward to the new arrival(hopefully Klopp) but i'll always give credit to Rodgers for that title challenge it was an incredible season.

Good night and Jah bless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'm a Liverpool SUPPORTER. Look up the meaning of the word and come back to me.

YNWA - Don't make me laugh.

Do me a favour and pull your lip over your head and swallow. I'd support that action.

@je suis Mario - dunno if you like me but am I'm still in? 'Cause that's definitely not him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,673 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Oh come on! He didnt; even get the date of that last one right!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd like it to have worked out with him, but I think it became apparent it wouldn't. There will be debate on how much time he should have been given. Some will say more, and some will say less. All will say it was ample if the new guy does the job, but I think it's the right time, providing his replacement is already secured. Most people will still remember him fondly for his part in a great season and he'll more than likely have a lot of offers. Personally, I'll soon forget the awful displays towards the end. I hope he does well at his next club, whenever we're not playing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

I'm an in the process of blocking myself so i wont be in the process of listening to people going on how they are in the process of blocking the people that are quoting the people they are blocking.

block.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Was pretty shocked to see Rodgers fired today.

Feel a little bad for him but he didnt help himself out in the end. You normally know a manager is in trouble when they start making strange selections and dont have any consistency in their set up.

Rodgers seemed to have been broken after Stoke, his interviews changed and he seemed a bit beaten down.

That said, it is a strange season this year and Liverpool still had/ have every chance of getting top 4. A little strange that FSG retained Rodgers but didnt give him till Christmas. I guess Rodgers just lost his ability to make people believe he could make it work. I think maybe he could have but thats immaterial at this stage.

Now its over, it is kinda of exciting to see who will come in. The club needs some reinvigorating and some fresh thinking.

Happy with either Klopp or Ancelotti. I think Ancelotti would be a safer bet. Wouldnt be surprised if it was neither of them though.

Biggest thing is to simplify the game again, play players in their right position and have consistency.

There's a good squad to work with there, and Markovic to be brought back hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Two things i have been wondering since i heard the news that Rodgers is now no longer manager
    1) If we hammered Everton today, would he still have been let go today?
    2) How much is Chelsea's recent poor run of results responsible for FSG moving now? Maybe they started to worry that Chelsea would come in ahead of them and steal whatever potential replacement the were planning for Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Two things i have been wondering since i heard the news that Rodgers is now no longer manager
    1) If we hammered Everton today, would he still have been let go today?
    2) How much is Chelsea's recent poor run of results responsible for FSG moving now? Maybe they started to worry that Chelsea would come in ahead of them and steal whatever potential replacement the were planning for Rodgers.

1. I dont think so. I think it had to be a loss or a draw.

2. I think it has to be a factor alright. Ancelotti is out for them but they may like Klopp. Klinsmann is a real wild card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I know it's probably already been covered, but I've just seen now that he didn't get to say goodbye to a lot of the players due to them heading off for international duty. That's a bit upsetting to read.

Anyway. Sakho.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Appropriate that Rodgers last ever sub as Liverpool manager was to bring on Joe Allen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Hugely excited to see what klopp could do with can and firmino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I like Rodgers as a guy and I like a lot of the moves he made with the club. As much as he has tried to measure expectation unreasonably of late, the first thing he did when he came in was to raise it and try to bring back that sense of the Liverpool of old - consistently talking about it as a huge great club, bringing back the red nets, the original Anfield sign etc...

From the start of year 3 onwards, things have obviously just gone out of his hands, but i'll always appreciate him for the first two years. Showing us how a team can slowly turn around in year one, where you could see progress almost week by week, and then of course the incredible year two (for which I still think he deserves plenty of credit).

I just hope the revisionism doesn't take away the first two years because of the 3rd. Best of luck to him anyway, he'll do well at all but the very top level I think.

Now looking forward to seeing what Klopp (hopefully) can do. Very much looking forward to his high intensity game, along with a good deal of piss and vinegar injected into the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    but i'll always appreciate him for the first two years. Showing us how a team can slowly turn around in year one, where you could see progress almost week by week, and then of course the incredible year two (for which I still think he deserves plenty of credit).

I just hope the revisionism doesn't take away the first two years because of the 3rd.

Surely a degree of revisionism here? Season 2 somewhat came out of nowhere and it was a few months into the season at that I think.

I remember large swathes of fans, me included, being very dissatisfied even early in Season 2. I remember feeling bloody mystified at times if I am honest.

It was only in the later half of season 2 looked like he nailed it and a lot of fans openly admitted to being wrong about him. He was slaughtered again after the Chelsea match and it sort of bobbed along after tha until the turn of the season.

Incidentally, Gerard's comments recently on the Chelsea match vindicate a lot of posters here at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I see the usual suspects busy schedules have magically cleared up.

Rodgers had to go, hopefully the next man in isn't nailed to the cross for not being Benitez. Time for a lot of people to move on.

The liverpool way my hole.

Well, this is why I really hope for a Klopp / Ancelotti appointment so we can all get behind the manager and leave behind the internal division that has been present in this thread ever since I started posting here (there was always a rump of posters on here who hated Benitez - even when we were playing in the CL on May evenings). We've had glimpses of that - the second half of the 2010 / 11 season when Kenny steadied things and we were excited about FSG or the run for it in 2014 - and it's far preferable to the constant sniping / arguing that has been most apparent during Hodgson and Rodgers reigns.

When Rodgers was appointed in 2012 it was a huge disappointment for so many fans. A huge 'wtf' moment really. In the final analysis I am not concerned that he'll get a job post Liverpool at a bigger club than us, in the same way that I never doubted Benetiz would continue to operate at clubs within the top tier of the game.

I'm glad this period is behind us now anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

In the end Rodgers was not that bad, he just needs to learn the game a bit more. He needs to be able to react to games. I always felt that was one of his biggest weaknesses - we would see the game unfold and think you need more on this side or have to change this and BR would not do that. I think he does talk a good game but he really needed to work on his in-game management.

That and playing players in the wrong position. I think we have a good squad (apart from Mig and Lovern - too inconsistent), they just have to start playing in their own positions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Incidentally, Gerard's comments recently on the Chelsea match vindicate a lot of posters here at the time.

The same Gerrard who said if Rodgers had come to the club 10 years earlier he would be talking about how many league titles he had won?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Happy with either Klopp or Ancelotti. I think Ancelotti would be a safer bet. Wouldnt be surprised if it was neither of them though.

Sean-ODriscoll.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I was sad to see Brendan go, he always tried what he thought was best for the club. And i wish him all the best.

But the inconsistent displays, constant tinkering with the formation and playing guys waaay out of position just didnt work the way it worked back in 13/14.

Im sure he'll land on his feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

You are some fcuking bellend.
    Taking joy in a manager of LFC sacked.
    Sad pathetic knob jockey.
    I'll prob get carded for this or even banned but im so p1ssed off at your snide comments at the demise of Rodgers.
    I'm sure you like others on here we one that was dancing when things were going great in 13/14.
    Now like rats deserting a sinking ship when things went wrong at the end for rodgers.

Brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Isn't O'Driscoll gone as well? I read conflicting reports that both him and Gary Mc are also gone, but I am sure Ljinders will be safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

BBC Sport just tweeted this, it's ridiculous how little credit Sakho gets.

b4WurWJ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Bogdan?

For **** sake :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

BBC Sport just tweeted this, it's ridiculous how little credit Sakho gets.

b4WurWJ.jpg

How can Bogdan be classed as a flop as well ? The guy has played what 2 or 3 games ? He's a decent backup.

Yes we should have bought a starting keeper and Mig dropped but he has improved this year so far and has been pretty solid and im willing to give the guy a chance.

The first thing I want to see the new manager, whoever he is, is steady the ship at the back and get us back defending as a unit and make us much harder to score against.

I think that the defensive unit could benefit the most with a fresh approach as they seemed to lack confidence in Rodgers Or Rodgers wasn't giving enough attention to the defensive side of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Sakho a flop? Hardly, he just for some mad reason didnt get noticed by Rodgers...

Markovic as well, the chap had a hard time in his first season.

He had a hard time because he was ****e

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Alright alright alright :)

So I feel in the spirit of managerial change a few facts need to be established to get us all back on the same page (ahem* reference to the fact that Jose, Wenger and Brendan broke boards over the last few days).

Fact 1: I think its important that we acknowledge a certain section of support were correct about Rodgers not being the right man for the job.

I love Rodgers and wanted it so badly to work out. But the Owners have decided and now it is 100% certain that Rodgers will not win ANYTHING with Liverpool. We should still remember that great season but only like any good season. No point in bringing it up to argue the merits of success (it really doesn't matter if one person thinks it was a success and another thinks it wasn't. Who gives a sh1t. Lets move on).

Fact 2: Some of us were wrong about Rodgers job being safe "for now".

I 100% felt that with the summer backing, that Rodgers was going nowhere until at least Christmas (there or there abouts). I was fully sure all this talk was twitter rumours that were as merited as the talk of FSG selling the club (which will be the next boards splitting debate, I am sure :D).

Fact 3: Klopp wouldnt touch Liverpool!!

Some people, myself included thought Klopp or Anchelloti wouldnt go near Liverpool. I think its fair to say that they would both consider Liverpool right now.

Fact 4: Exciting times ahead.

Ok so my biggest fear and hesitation of Rodgers leaving, was a new "5 year plan" would effectively happen. I didnt want to have to "reset the game", I wanted to battle on. But its been reset so we just need to move on and get started again.

Will it be Carlo or Jurgy bear?? Whomever takes the reigns they will be looking at new formations, players and styles. It will be fun. It will also be fun to see what they do in January. Maybe splash the cash on One name rather than a new squad??? Maybe a view to bringing back Mario, Marko and Ilori????? Maybe a new manager could get the best out of some of the departed??

I dont care about admitting I was wrong about the series of events surrounding the change. I was and it happened. A lot of us were wrong about it. BUT our wrongness was bred out of hope for the club rather than "all hail leader"............. At least I hope it was.

Rodgers will likely be offered a job at Sunderland, Villa, Newcastle.......... Something like that will likely be his next job to get back on his feet. Hopefully for him his stint at Liverpool wont permanently affect his opportunities at the "bigger clubs". He still has a lot to learn as a manager but at least we dont need to worry about that now so we can get a manager that can teach rather than learn.

So onwards and upwards comrades.

With Carlo and Jurgen being the top candidates for the job......... What formation and style do you see each trying with our squad as of Spurs??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Vicxas wrote: »
    Sakho a flop? Hardly, he just for some mad reason didnt get noticed by Rodgers...

Markovic as well, the chap had a hard time in his first season.

And Manquillo was a cheap loan, low risk and gave us cover when Glenjo was out. It's a lazy attempt...

The form built consistently upward in those first 2 seasons under Rodgers, we had top 4 form in the second half of his first season, that's why a lot of people gave him a chance in the second season.

Anyway, good to see there is no bad feelings from the vast majority of fans, it just seemed the fans gave up hope in him and when that happens I think its best to move on, otherwise it gets bitter. That second season was some craic, hammering United and Spurs away and Everton, Spurs and Arsenal at home, beating City and United too, fun times, we'll probably never see the like again which makes the might have beens worse.

Still the legacy for a new manager isn't bad, we don't have the quality of the top 4 teams but we've Coutinho and Sturbridge who are as good as them, Benteke if we can fit him in, Ings looks like he could be a mini Dirk Kuyt and everybody needs one of those, Firmino who is highly rated, Henderson, Clyne and Sakho.

Skrtel, Lucas and Mig are definitely capable squad players, though long term we should be looking to upgrade, a good DM in particular. Can would benefit from not being used as an utility player. I think even Moreno and Markovic when he comes back might prove useful yet. Origi, Ibe and Ilori could all have futures yet.

Really Toure, Lovren and Allen are the only ones I could see straight out the door along with Mario obviously.

There's a base to work of. However a new manager will have limited funds compared to the rest, £20-25 Million a season is our usual net, so we need one who gets the best out of what he has and gets the max out of a small budget compared to the competition.

For me that looks like Klopp, Ancelotti doesn't look that fit at all.

Onwards and upwards, 1 win in the last 6 weeks just wasn't good enough especially over the last few weeks in very winnable games. We get Spurs, Chelsea and City over us and we've all the "big" teams played away. Try and get a run of form going for the second half of the season when all the huge home games will come thick and fast.

Rodgers is in line for a €25m payoff. How about we just give him Joe Allen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

I remember large swathes of fans, me included, being very dissatisfied even early in Season 2. I remember feeling bloody mystified at times if I am honest.

It was only in the later half of season 2 looked like he nailed it and a lot of fans openly admitted to being wrong about him.

We were top of the table at Christmas that season so the first half must have gone alright, no? The fact that yourself and so many others didn't give him any credit for that and only came round after a truly astonishing run of form says a lot. No doubt it has all gone badly wrong in the last year or so and it's time to go, but the enduring hostility of so many fans towards Rodgers at a time when he was objectively doing an excellent job was and remains extraordinary.

CQf4zm1WsAEm0tG.jpg

I do think it was time for him to leave, but to be fair to Rodgers, he got it. He knew what it was to be Liverpool's manager, and that's why when you here some people calling him clueless or a spoofer, or comparing him to Hodgson, it gets a bit much.

Personally, I don't even agree fully with Slic's post the other day saying Rodgers will never get above the level of West Ham again. I'd be fairly certain that he does.

I hope he takes some time away from the game now though, as he veered away from his principles in recent times, and I'd wager that the Rodgers of three or four years ago would be a little appalled at how Rodgers set his teams up in the last few months. He managed with fear and lost sight of his main attacking ethos.

Now like rats deserting a sinking ship when things went wrong at the end for rodgers.

Leaving aside those wallowing to a classless extent, there is no point getting irritated over 'rats deserting sinking ships'. There was a wobble in confidence in Rodgers on this thread and across the fan base generally during October / November which recovered as the season began to recover. But when the season fell apart in March the debate was rightly back on. Post Crystal Palace and Stoke - and the rather unbelievable decision to keep him on - the onus has been on Rodgers to build back total confidence in what he could achieve. That clearly hasn't happened and this decision is a product of a sustained six month period of underperformance during which there has been a gradual draining of support. And a precipitous shift occurred in the aftermath of the West Ham and Man Utd defeats which demonstrated a terminal malaise.

I think it is fairly obvious however that the majority had turned away from Rodgers as of the last month, and while there were many still on the fence who hoped he could turn it around vociferous supporters were very short in supply.

I hope Gary Mac doesnt go. Hopefully he will have a role under a new boss. Along with Carra and maybe Stevie??????

K-9 wrote: »
    The form built consistently upward in those first 2 seasons under Rodgers, we had top 4 form in the second half of his first season, that's why a lot of people gave him a chance in the second season.

Anyway, good to see there is no bad feelings from the vast majority of fans, it just seemed the fans gave up hope in him and when that happens I think its best to move on, otherwise it gets bitter. That second season was some craic, hammering United and Spurs away and Everton, Spurs and Arsenal at home, beating City and United too, fun times, we'll probably never see the like again which makes the might have beens worse.

Still the legacy for a new manager isn't bad, we don't have the quality of the top 4 teams but we've Coutinho and Sturbridge who are as good as them, Benteke if we can fit him in, Ings looks like he could be a mini Dirk Kuyt and everybody needs one of those, Firmino who is highly rated, Henderson, Clyne and Sakho.

Skrtel, Lucas and Mig are definitely capable squad players, though long term we should be looking to upgrade, a good DM in particular. Can would benefit from not being used as an utility player. I think even Moreno and Markovic when he comes back might prove useful yet. Origi, Ibe and Ilori could all have futures yet.

Really Toure, Lovren and Allen are the only ones I could see straight out the door along with Mario obviously.

There's a base to work of. However a new manager will have limited funds compared to the rest, £20-25 Million a season is our usual net, so we need one who gets the best out of what he has and gets the max out of a small budget compared to the competition.

For me that looks like Klopp, Ancelotti doesn't look that fit at all.

Onwards and upwards, 1 win in the last 6 weeks just wasn't good enough especially over the last few weeks in very winnable games. We get Spurs, Chelsea and City over us and we've all the "big" teams played away. Try and get a run of form going for the second half of the season when all the huge home games will come thick and fast.

Lallana not even worth a mention. Which is fair.

Dickerty wrote: »
    And Manquillo was a cheap loan, low risk and gave us cover when Glenjo was out. It's a lazy attempt...

Cissokho was grand as well, did a job for us for feck all money on a loan.

The problem was his big money signings, or well the clubs. Benteke and Firmino too early to say but:

Lalana,
    Lovren,
    Markovic,
    Allen,
    Borini,
    Mig,
    Moreno,
    Balotelli
    All signings for big enough money that were poor or overpaid for. The club has to answer for that as well.

If the coaching staff are going that hints at an expected quick transition, though it could just be a clearing of the guard.

Klopp would be amazing, even a couple of the more neutral United fansI know thought he was out of our reach.

• Advertisement

Lallana not even worth a mention. Which is fair.

Everybody seems to forget him in squad over views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mr.H wrote: »
    I hope Gary Mac doesnt go. Hopefully he will have a role under a new boss. Along with Carra and maybe Stevie??????

Why, would you want sentimental appointments like that?
    What coaching skills have they got?
    The club should bring in the best coaches that they can get that would benefit the squad and club. It's not a retirement home for popular players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Surely a degree of revisionism here? Season 2 somewhat came out of nowhere and it was a few months into the season at that I think.

It was only in the later half of season 2 looked like he nailed it and a lot of fans openly admitted to being wrong about him. He was slaughtered again after the Chelsea match and it sort of bobbed along after tha until the turn of the season.

We were top 4 pretty much the whole season and top at Christmas.

I think we'd averaged 2 ppg from Christmas of season 1 to the end of that season.

The fact that some fans were dissatisfied during that season and the manager was slaughtered after our first defeat in something like 13 games, says more about the fans than anything else.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well, this is why I really hope for a Klopp / Ancelotti appointment so we can all get behind the manager and leave behind the internal division that has been present in this thread ever since I started posting here (there was always a rump of posters on here who hated Benitez - even when we were playing in the CL on May evenings). We've had glimpses of that - the second half of the 2010 / 11 season when Kenny steadied things and we were excited about FSG or the run for it in 2014 - and it's far preferable to the constant sniping / arguing that has been most apparent during Hodgson and Rodgers reigns.

When Rodgers was appointed in 2012 it was a huge disappointment for so many fans. A huge 'wtf' moment really. In the final analysis I am not concerned that he'll get a job post Liverpool at a bigger club than us, in the same way that I never doubted Benetiz would continue to operate at clubs within the top tier of the game.

I'm glad this period is behind us now anyway.

Whoever comes in will have a good chance of getting this squad to Top4 (if Sturridge is fit for 20+ of the remaining PL games imo) but given what we have seen in recent years by other English clubs the CL would be a struggle and perennial CL qualification is something that can't be realistically expected until the club's revenue streams grows further (which is in the pipeline).

Are Napoli within the top tier of the game?

I think division on here since you started posting is inherent really, folks won't agree on things, it's a forum not a cult.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why, would you want sentimental appointments like that?
    What coaching skills have they got?
    The club should bring in the best coaches that they can get that would benefite the squad and club. It's not a retirement home for popular players.

Is not possible to have both??

Surely they could do their badges here and work as coaches or reserve team (U21's) coaches until they prove themselves?

It would be nice to have the "boot room mentality" back. As well as having people at the club who know what the club is about and have passion to be here. Not a bad thing to pass onto young players.

I am not saying they should play a "giggs"-sized role at the club.

Augeo wrote: »
    Whoever comes in will have a good chance of getting this squad to Top4 (if Sturridge is fit for 20+ of the remaining PL games imo) but given what we have seen in recent years by other English clubs the CL would be a struggle and perennial CL qualification is something that can't be realistically expected until the club's revenue streams grows further (which is in the pipeline).

Are Napoli within the top tier of the game?

I think division on here since you started posting is inherent really, folks won't agree on things, it's a forum not a cult.

Real Madrid and Chelsea definitely are. It will be interesting to see if Rodgers rides as high as finishing third in a top tier league like Seria A and qualifying for CL, etc. If he does, he'll be doing better than I give him credit for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

For me it began to look good after the January window of his first season when Sturridge & Coutinho arrived. We started to look a coherent team. There was a slight dip at the start of the 2nd season as we got by without Suarez due to his suspension, but we scrapped wins as new players settled and by the end of October we were starting to fire on all cylinders. After Christmas that season was pure roller-coaster.
    So 18 months of good form more or less, but the failure to get over the line and win the league seems to have broken the team and Rodgers. A lot of belief was lost and he just didn't have the necessary to get that back so with top class candidates available, it made sense to sack him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mr.H wrote: »
    Is not possible to have both??

Surely they could do their badges here and work as coaches or reserve team (U21's) coaches until they prove themselves?

It would be nice to have the "boot room mentality" back. As well as having people at the club who know what the club is about and have passion to be here. Not a bad thing to pass onto young players.

I am not saying they should play a "giggs"-sized role at the club.

The boot room mentality is gone since Souness took over. Carragher and Gerrard know nothing of it.

A more modern approach is needed and just because they were good players for the club, it doesn't not mean they will be good coaches.

Either way, Carra is on a few million a year for a handy number with Sky whilst Gerrard is hanging out with the boys in Compton for the next few years.

Rodgers is in line for a €25m payoff. How about we just give him Joe Allen?

How long had he left?

Press will print anything though, sure a few days ago Klopp was a non runner.

• Advertisement

Anyone have a soundcloud or a link to The Anfield Wrap stuff for last night? They have a four part Rodgers piece done, but its behind the paywall.

(I don't want to pay)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement