Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

5 games into the Klopp regime and we're in 2nd place. We really can't complain, especially with that Ings hat trick away to Chelsea. Things are really looking up now IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

That Eastenders video Harry put up in the humour thread is the best thing I've seen in ages

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

If Klopp or Ancelotti get the job will they be asking the captain or Coutinho or Firmino to text a player to see if he would like to join the club I wonder.

Give over ffs, you've got your wish, he's gone, do you really need to keep sticking the boot in with these snide digs, you should be happy and yet you still seem bitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I listened to half of that podcast. Pretty rubbish really. I can't really believe lads pay to listen to these chaps.

Had to stop 20 mins in, myself. Were two of them gee-eyed? Nice one, though Luckycharms, appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Former Germany midfielder Stefan Effenberg believes his compatriot and good friend is suited to taking the Liverpool job.

“He gave me this answer a couple of weeks ago. He said: ‘I’m ready for a team that’s not on the highest level, to create something, to build something up’. This could be Liverpool, right?” he told BBC World Service Sport.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/10/klopp-tells-effenberg-liverpool-is-one-of-the-greatest-atmospheres-its-pretty-much-the-same-as-dortmund/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

An auld lad like wouldn't be hip to those kind of things.

The young ones still use hip don't they.

I used to be with it but then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems weird and scary to me, and it’ll happen to you too! Grandpa Simpson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Best of luck to Rodgers, I lost faith in him after the 6-1 defeat to Stoke but he isn't a bad manager and his time at Liverpool wasn't a total failure. We're definitely in a better position now than when he took over and we had one of the most exciting seasons in recent times in 13/14. He has received a bit of criticism over the past few weeks but I think that is inevitable in football management when things aren't going well, now that he is gone I hope that people can appreciate his efforts over the past 3 years.

It is extremely exciting that Klopp could be taking over. I didn't think we would entice him this early into his year off but he would be a great appointment and there would be a real sense of excitement around the club if he takes over. A lot of the players will have a point to prove and there is healthy competition for a lot of places in the starting eleven.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Ah he gave us a great year, gave us hope and let us dream. Unfortunately the wheels come off pretty quickly. I hope he'll always be welcome at Anfield like any former manager bar Hodgson.

Some of the vitriol against says less about him and more about the people it comes from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

dobsdave wrote: »
    Former Germany midfielder Stefan Effenberg believes his compatriot and good friend is suited to taking the Liverpool job.

“He gave me this answer a couple of weeks ago. He said: ‘I’m ready for a team that’s not on the highest level, to create something, to build something up’. This could be Liverpool, right?” he told BBC World Service Sport.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/10/klopp-tells-effenberg-liverpool-is-one-of-the-greatest-atmospheres-its-pretty-much-the-same-as-dortmund/

fúcking Effenberg.

you're making me believe.

A week seems like a long time to wait to appoint a manager/make an announcement, especially at a time when Chelsea could be entering the market for a new manager too.

I've seen some Liverpool fans opine here and elsewhere that sacking Rodgers just puts Liverpool in the same bracket as Man City and Chelsea in terms of getting rid of a manager because he wasn't winning the league. I'm not a Pool fan, but the difference between Liverpool and those teams is night and day. Chelsea sacked managers for 'only' coming 2nd in the league. Liverpool have persevered with Rodgers and have given him every chance to get the form of 13/14 back. They have given him capital to spend in the last few transfer windows, they have given him 8 games into a new season to see if last season's failures were just a glitch. There is nothing else Liverpool FC could have done really to give the man every chance to get things going again.

The time was past right for him to go. As a United fan, I'm of course 'in grief', but looking at it objectively, with each game he remained in charge he took the club further away from their goals. I can't deny that if I was a Liverpool fan, I would have wanted him gone by the end of last season. Yes, it's good that he's gone early in the season and there's technically still time and games to get your season back on track, but the incoming manager has a mountain to climb considering Liverpool's upcoming run of fixtures.

Klopp will be a good match for Liverpool, surely he is that incoming manager. Btw, I rated Klopp highly when some of us were hoping to get him at United post-Moyes, and I still rate him highly now that Liverpool are going to get him. I will be happy to see the man in the P.L., but am sad to see him go to Liverpool cause 1) He will make you better, and 2) He will probably never manage Manchester United now. Cherish him if you get him!

• Advertisement

He's... a United fan, but he's not a dick.

He must be on an "E".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

The Mainz achievements mean little, it sounds like the sort of thing Martinez, Rodgers and handful of other up & comings have achieved.

Right now Klopp's success if focused around a short period of time, but he hit much higher targets than Rodgers ever did. Winning the league twice and a serious CL challenges. The risk with success at the upper echelons of the game in short spurts is that the possibility that it was achieved by the players more so than the manager. What you want to see is consistency in those achievements.

Klopp is a gamble, he is culturally a good fit, his achievements are impressive but he would be coming to Liverpool to cement those achievements.

I like him, but I still prefer Ancelotti as he does not fail. It's a risk based decision for me, if we gamble and lose now we risk going off a cliff and really losing touch with the CL spots long term. Klopp is a gamble, if he comes I will be 100% behind him from day one, but I will say now before he comes that I think Ancelotti is a safer bet. Not likely to play quite as exciting football, but he would be such a solid appointment and I don't think we'll ever get a chance to get a manager in with that kind of CV again. Shame to miss out.

Look at it!...(am sure the spanish translation is fairly simple).

TROFEOS
    Nacionales de clubes
    Primera División Subcampeón 1x 2014/2015
    Premier League Campeón 1x 2009/2010
    Serie A Campeón 1x 2003/2004
    Subcampeón 3x 2004/2005, 1999/2000, 1996/1997
    Liga 1 Campeón 1x 2012/2013
    Subcampeón 1x 2011/2012
    Copa FA Campeón 1x 2009/2010
    Copa del Rey Campeón 1x 2013/2014
    Super Copa Subcampeón 1x 2014/2015
    Community Shield Campeón 1x 2009/2010
    Subcampeón 1x 2010/2011
    Coppa Italia Campeón 1x 2002/2003
    Super Copa Campeón 1x 2004/2005
    Subcampeón 1x 2003/2004
    Internacionales de clubes
    UEFA Liga de Campeones Campeón 3x 2013/2014, 2006/2007, 2002/2003
    Subcampeón 1x 2004/2005
    UEFA Super Copa Campeón 3x 2014/2015, 2007/2008, 2003/2004
    Campeonato Mundial de Clubes Campeón 2x 2014 Morocco, 2007 Japan
    Copa Intercontinental Subcampeón 1x 2003
    International Champions Cup Campeón 1x 2013

3 time Champs league winner, one time runner up. Premier league, La Liga, Serie A? Yep. Won them. All of them. Countless runner up achievements too.

Exactly. I'm surprised there's little/no debate about it actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

stankratz wrote: »
    A week seems like a long time to wait to appoint a manager/make an announcement, especially at a time when Chelsea could be entering the market for a new manager too.

I've seen some Liverpool fans opine here and elsewhere that sacking Rodgers just puts Liverpool in the same bracket as Man City and Chelsea in terms of getting rid of a manager because he wasn't winning the league. I'm not a Pool fan, but the difference between Liverpool and those teams is night and day. Chelsea sacked managers for 'only' coming 2nd in the league. Liverpool have persevered with Rodgers and have given him every chance to get the form of 13/14 back. They have given him capital to spend in the last few transfer windows, they have given him 8 games into a new season to see if last season's failures were just a glitch. There is nothing else Liverpool FC could have done really to give the man every chance to get things going again.

The time was past right for him to go. As a United fan, I'm of course 'in grief', but looking at it objectively, with each game he remained in charge he took the club further away from their goals. I can't deny that if I was a Liverpool fan, I would have wanted him gone by the end of last season. Yes, it's good that he's gone early in the season and there's technically still time and games to get your season back on track, but the incoming manager has a mountain to climb considering Liverpool's upcoming run of fixtures.

Klopp will be a good match for Liverpool, surely he is that incoming manager. Btw, I rated Klopp highly when some of us were hoping to get him at United post-Moyes, and I still rate him highly now that Liverpool are going to get him. I will be happy to see the man in the P.L., but am sad to see him go to Liverpool cause 1) He will make you better, and 2) He will probably never manage Manchester United now. Cherish him if you get him!

It's just not the same without all the sly digs. I'd expect more from a United fan in our thread.

Only joking of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

ush wrote: »
    BR's statement - "The club showed great character."

Oh, look... a character joke....

GIF-Boring-Bored-This-is-boring-Im-bored-Nothing-to-do-Yawn-GIF.gif?gs=a

Now that he's gone, I do really hope they stop as they're just not funny, and haven't been for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I listened to half of that podcast. Pretty rubbish really. I can't really believe lads pay to listen to these chaps.

I actually enjoyed it. Bunch of fans, some articulate and reasoned and some less so. Interesting chat though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I actually enjoyed it. Bunch of fans, some articulate and reasoned and some less so. Interesting chat though.

It's great that people take the time to make these podcasts, I'd rate it as useful as the average sports chat in the pub. Interesting enough without much serious analysis, that people would pay for it completely dumbfounds me.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I saw all the stuff earlier about Gary Mac and Sean O'Driscoll having been let go by the club as well, but they are still listed on the club website as being employed by the club, whereas Rodgers is gone. I expect a new manager will want their own people in, but it seems they haven't left yet anyhow. Will there be training pics tomorrow for those not on international duty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Yeah, I listened to it on my way home from work. Enjoyed it too.

I'm not looking for them to tell me anything groundbreaking, or go off on MNF type analysis. Just listening to some emotional fans, of different viewpoints, talk about what is some pretty major news.

Nice hearing them talk about 13/14, if even just to evoke my own memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

It's great that people take the time to make these podcasts, I'd rate it as useful as the average sports chat in the pub. Interesting enough without much serious analysis, that people would pay for it completely dumbfounds me.

For the obsessive fan, though I really like their show, The Rider. Great music show

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

In fairness they were all pissed on the TAW podcast last night. They were in the pub when the news broke. It was a reactionary podcast from a bunch of emotional people. If you want a little more considered chat around the news the latest podcast is up and free.

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/10/podcast-the-man-after-the-man/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

In fairness they were all pissed on the TAW podcast last night. They were in the pub when the news broke. It was a reactionary podcast from a bunch of emotional people. If you want a little more considered chat around the news the latest podcast is up and free.

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/10/podcast-the-man-after-the-man/

That they were drunk made it better. And for once I didn't hate Robbo. :P

For those who were saying they wouldn't pay for it thats fair enough but they put out a LOT of content an some of the stuff has been amazing. Their interviews with Parry and Evans in particular were outstanding. And i like their season review ones too. Decent bunch of lads in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Which squad member has the sexiest mum?
    First up is Phil's

phil.png

solid 7.5/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Very impressed with Rodgers statement, he certainly got the club the way Hodgson couldn't.

Pity it didn't work out for him, he has talent, more than some here will admit as he did have a major role to play in the 13/14 title challenge and setting up a system to get the best out of Suarez, Sturridge , Sterling etc.

However he lost his way last season and seemed to abandon his 'philosophy' and never got it back. Pace went out of the side and defence was ALWAYS a problem.

Always liked him as person and I'm sure he'll learn from this and do well at another club.

Now is the time for a new start, and I'm convinced it's Klopp due to the timing of Rodgers' sacking.

I'm excited by it and hope it works out but I'm a little apprehensive as I never watch the German league and wonder what really happened at his last season at Dortmund.

Either way, this is a decision that FSG have to get right. It's arguably the most important appointment since Benitez. Get this wrong and we could go into terminal decline.
    Get it right, and put the right structures in place then we could be back in top 4. 2 places in that of Utd and Chelsea are there for the taking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

listening to Ben Smith on BBC 5Live. Rodgers turned down Sturridge in summer 2012 because he wanted Dempsey after signing Borini & Allen. FSG didn't want Carroll loaned until replacements where bought & were furious with Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Just saw two interesting things about Klopp on his Wikipedia.

1. His middle name is Norbert.
    2. He is 6.4

• Advertisement

2. He is 6.4

Well, I'm convinced.

Sign him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Anyone got a link to the TAW podcast from yesterday?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

First up is Phil's

phil.png

solid 7.5/10

She looks like a Brazilian Jo Brand, and that's not a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

MD1990 wrote: »
    listening to Ben Smith on BBC 5Live. Rodgers turned down Sturridge in summer 2012 because he wanted Dempsey after signing Borini & Allen. FSG didn't want Carroll loaned until replacements where bought & were furious with Rodgers.

How could have Carroll been loaned without being sanctioned by the club? Strange if that was the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

2. He is 6.4

Norbert you say

naked-gun-oj2-o.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

5starpool wrote: »
    She looks like a Brazilian Jo Brand, and that's not a good thing.

Glad you are enjoying the series, more to follow.

Jaysus, lads. Coutinho's ma. Be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    I might have to stop even coming on here to read this thread for a bit, every time i've logged on in the last 12 hours i've left angry.

the joy that some posters have that it hasn't worked out is mind blowing. Its should be a sad day but for some its just pure joy and another chance to take shots at a man who gave us the most memorable season in 20 years. More memorable than 05 imo and easily so (tho no moment matched the joy of the final obv). You can say it was Suarez who did it all but it wasn't, we won games when he was not on insane form (tho that was rare) and games when he didn't even play. The manager let the team go out and just express themselves in a way i've never seen from another team week in week out. The bravery that that takes is to be applauded. It went against everything that he had believed you were required to do to win games at the time but he did it. And it was a joy to behold.

And now you have fans posting gifs of how happy they are that he's gone. I agree that the time had come for him to go but it shouldn't be celebrated. He's gone now so nobody needs to worry about him "dragging the club further down" or anything like that so surely we as fans of the club should be a) looking forward to a new future under hopefully an accomplished new manager and b) remembering all those match threads like the spurs one where we lost our minds when Jonno belted in that screamer, when Suarez destroyed Norwich on his own, even when Mignolet made that peno save on day one to set us up for a season of thrills which we hadn't had in a long time.

Ye right nothing beats Istanbul

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Ye right nothing beats Istanbul

Try reading the rest of his post genius.

First up is Phil's

phil.png

solid 7.5/10

Flip-floppy tits.

• Subscribers Posts: 693 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

2. He is 6.4

On the Richter scale?

All the best to Rodgers. Time for him to go, got more than a fair crack. Klopp if it happens is a very exciting prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Knex. wrote: »
    Flip-floppy tits.

Tiki-Taka Tits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I don't get the love for Rodgers. He did well 2 seasons so to get 2nd. But that was the exception rather than the rule.

I fully expect him to do a Curbishley/Phil Brown now, manage some lower level Prem teams then sink down the leagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

I don't get the love for Rodgers. He did well 2 seasons so to get 2nd. But that was the exception rather than the rule.

I fully expect him to do a Curbishley/Phil Brown now, manage some lower level Prem teams then sink down the leagues.

He's not a terrible manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I can't even remotely comprehend what you see to think that.

Because Brown and Curbishley would have been able to do what he did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

There's posters on here who wanted Rodgers to stay, and don't want Klopp because of his final season with Dortmund, but keep banging on about Rodgers best season 2 years ago (the season he bottled the league) while ignoring the fact Klopp won leagues and cups with Dortmund while Rodgers has won sweet f**k all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

ps...this, written by 4-4-2 about Klopp would have me worried frankly. I think his success has been contained to one club over a short period of time.

"Initially a 4-2-3-1 man, Klopp later experimented with 4-3-3 and 4-3-1-2, and occasionally switched between a four- and a three-man defence. Sometimes, it felt like he changed too much, too often, and questions must be asked about Klopp’s expertise in the transfer market too – Robert Lewandowski’s replacements simply weren’t up to it.

4-3-3 ! ...couldnt replace the big players who left. Sound like anyone ???

Ancelotti's CV is another kettle of fish altogether.
    Michael Zorc has been the Sports Director/Director of Football for Borussia Dortmund since 1998. He didn't take a sabbatical during Klopp's time there.

How do you not get the love? How did you feel two years ago when we were DESTROYING team after tea, tonking arsenal, tonking united in old trafford, showing insane heart and determination week after week... the feeling that all fans who love this club felt during that run is the reason we there is still and prob should be more love for Brendan Rodgers. We didn't just challenge for the title we made an EPIC challenge, smashing records along the way. And to say the manager had little or no input into that is naive to put it nicely.

We don't still love him because of last season or because of this one, we love him because he gave real joy to Liverpool fans which we sorely sorely needed.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    How do you not get the love? How did you feel two years ago when we were DESTROYING team after tea, tonking arsenal, tonking united in old trafford, showing insane heart and determination week after week... the feeling that all fans who love this club felt during that run is the reason we there is still and prob should be more love for Brendan Rodgers. We didn't just challenge for the title we made an EPIC challenge, smashing records along the way. And to say the manager had little or no input into that is naive to put it nicely.

We don't still love him because of last season or because of this one, we love him because he gave real joy to Liverpool fans which we sorely sorely needed.

He's a Celtic fan so probably doesn't understand how Rodgers made us feel that season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

There's posters on here who wanted Rodgers to stay, and don't want Klopp because of his final season with Dortmund, but keep banging on about Rodgers best season 2 years ago (the season he bottled the league) while ignoring the fact Klopp won leagues and cups with Dortmund while Rodgers has won sweet f**k all.

To be fair the players were just as much to blame for bottling it in the end, unfair to just pin that on Rodgers!

You actually should be banned for saying that... how on earth did he bottle it? What other liverpool manager in HISTORY (and we have some history) won as many league games in a row as he did? Was he the one who caused our captain to slip at the worst possible time? Was he the responsible for City going on a run as impressive as ours, that gets lost in the debate about that season a lot btw, City were INSANELY amazing that year too.

I wanted Rodgers gone post United. I felt that he wasn't going to turn it around but that in no way devalues what he did two years ago.

Tbh i don't know why i'm bothering replying to you, you're just sitting there basking in the glow of being right and thrilled with yourself... which is not what being a football fan is supposed to be about.

• Advertisement

kfallon wrote: »
    To be fair the players were just as much to blame for bottling it in the end, unfair to just pin that on Rodgers!

Haven't you heard? Suarez gets all the credit for the good things that season and Rodgers gets the blame for Gerrards slip costing us the title.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement