Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

The reality of the change is that we have effectively written off another season.

This should have been done in the summer...

3 points off 4th and bar Man City nobody has impressed me thus far. Get the right manager in and 4th is more than possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I was sent this link by a numpty who's arguing that FSG are liars, they've made a fool of Rodgers etc. etc. Contrary to their ridiculous assertions I think there are enough sound bites in the article to suggest the reasons why Rodgers lost his job.

EXCLUSIVE: Werner - Why Liverpool FC decided to keep faith in Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool Echo, 7 August 2015
    “First of all, we take a long-term view on these matters,”

“We believed in Brendan when he won Manager of the Year for 2013/14. That was only a year earlier when he was awarded that compliment.

“I think our track record demonstrates that our approach and attitude is very much focused on stability. We have demonstrated that both on and off the pitch.

“We do believe Brendan is the right man for Liverpool and the right man to take the club forward.

“When we hired Brendan we wanted to see improvement.

"Hopefully when we have a conversation in a year’s time he will have demonstrated and the squad will have demonstrated that we’ve regained top form again.”

“Last season was somewhat disappointing, obviously. We had a goal of reaching the top four having qualified for the Champions League the year before,”

“We wanted to see some progress. There were bright spots along the way.

“There was a period in the season from around the halfway mark when we really did show top form. But the end of the season was disappointing.

“I don’t really want to get into the reasons why we fell short of our goals.

“What I will say is that the review was no different from the review we do at the end of every season. It was about looking at how we can move forward as a club and be consistently stronger.

“We had some very constructive discussions with Brendan. We learned a lot and we are very much looking forward to the start of the season because we’re a stronger team now than we were a year ago.

“Brendan was very instrumental in the transfer targets that we went after this summer. We expect we’re going to see a strong improvement.”

“I want to thank Colin and Mike for their services but I’m excited about the new staff that Brendan has brought in,” he said.

“As Brendan has already articulated, it was his decision and the resumes of the gentlemen brought in are very impressive.

“I’ve met Sean and Pep. Sean has a lot of coaching experience and was working with England Under-19s. He’s hugely respected for his knowledge.

“All the feedback we’ve had on Pep during his time at the Academy has been very positive. We had heard a lot about him from his coaching at Porto and he’s taken on a newly created position at the club.

“Gary has a connection with the football club having served as a player. He has also managed Coventry City and Leeds United.

“The three new members of staff are outstanding and I’m sure the squad will benefit a lot from having them around.”

"I don’t want to put too much pressure on any one game or the need to get off to a good start, but it would certainly help,"

"It would be marvellous to take three points. Obviously, the end of last season was very disappointing.

"It would be nice if we came away from Stoke with a much better performance this time around.

"I feel that everyone knows what their responsibilities are. We have set good, but honest expectations.

"I'm looking forward to seeing how we play. I expect us to make our supporters proud."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looks like Barca have contacted Coutinho and he will soon be gone :(

https://twitter.com/GuillemBalague/status/651309852459954181

His tweets work in reverse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The lads on TAW mentioned how FSG could have been pissed when a few games into the season Rodgers flipped to 3 at the back again, despite going out and getting players for a 4-3-3, with the likes of Clyne and Benteke, etc.

That, on top of the results, was the final straw as it made FSG think he was now just trying anything to see if it worked and had perhaps squandered a lot of money by changing the entire structure of the team once more.

Ballbag yesterday said Gary McAllister should be manager and that no way Klopp would be. I wouldn't take note.

The reality of the change is that we have effectively written off another season.

This should have been done in the summer...

8 games gon, 4 pts off Arsenal & Man Utd, 4 ahead of Chelsea, 1 pt behind Spurs.

It's quite simple, Sturridge stay fit and scores and we are bang on for a Top4 chance whoever is in charge imo.

Knex. wrote: »
    Ballbag yesterday said Gary McAllister should be manager and that no way Klopp would be. I wouldn't take note.

Exactly his tweets work in reverse so whatever he say the opposite is happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So one tweet from Ballague and that means he's gone. Total over reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Yeah that wouldn't worry me. But Barca's biggest paper Sport are the one's who have stated the Coutinho rumours. We need to make CL to keep him I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Augeo wrote: »
    It's quite simple, Sturridge stay fit and scores and we are bang on for a Top4 chance whoever is in charge imo.

Even if it's Roy Hodgson? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Whatever about Neymar, David Luiz must be stuck for a hobby in Paris if he's trying to talk Phil into going to a club he doesn't play for himself. Will we have a whip around to get him a jigsaw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

corwill wrote: »
    Whatever about Neymar, David Luiz must be stuck for a hobby in Paris if he's trying to talk Phil into going to a club he doesn't play for himself. Will we have a whip around to get him a jigsaw?

He 's probably hoping Neymar and Coutinho will tap him up next season when Mourinho takes over at PSG.

:) I don't know why anybody pays attention to that joker he's no better than any of the tabloids. It could merely be a coincidence but the French word for 'Joke' is 'Blague'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

https://twitter.com/ViktorFagerLFC/status/651333831002353664

Sakho: "Let's say that during the short period when I was not playing, I was like a little caged lion who has not fed for a while." #LFC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So that explains his attempt to eat Lukaku.

brevity wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/ViktorFagerLFC/status/651333831002353664

Sakho: "Let's say that during the short period when I was not playing, I was like a little caged lion who has not fed for a while." #LFC

He's sound.
    Sakho has also revealed his Liverpool team mates have made him a 'scouse dictionary' to help him understand the local dialect.
    "If I say 'sound lads', now I know what that means: it means 'cool man'".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Article on F365 (yeah, they do an article the odd time instead of passing their mailbox off as their entire content for the day) with the top 10 things Rodgers did wrong. I'm not gonna link it cause it's fairly ungracious, but in at number 1 was his inability to sort the defence. I'd probably agree with that.

Hopefully Milner's guarantee of starting in CM will be thrown out now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I wonder will Klopp be able to possibly negotiate some transfer deals with some of our more disappointing recent arrivals.

Klopp Shops for Kop's Flop Swops.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    Article on F365 (yeah, they do an article the odd time instead of passing their mailbox off as their entire content for the day) with the top 10 things Rodgers did wrong. I'm not gonna link it cause it's fairly ungracious, but in at number 1 was his inability to sort the defence. I'd probably agree with that.

All 10 are pretty spot on to be honest.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Hopefully Milner's guarantee of starting in CM will be thrown out now.

Milner will work most effectively in the middle with Henderson beside him. They haven't really had that chance yet.

Deets?
    Off The Ball Podcast (Monday, 5 October 2015)

Klopp first and then Reus I presume, yeah?

Then Aubemayingyangkipperbang and that Mickeymaccyman.....sorted!

Next year be Our Year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

All 10 are pretty spot on to be honest.

Have to say for the past year f365 had s nasty sgenfs against Rodgers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Talisman wrote: »
    Off The Ball Podcast (Monday, 5 October 2015)

Listened to it last night. The transfer seem to getting away with excuses in all of this which is worrying. Can't think of any successful buys from them since Coutinho and Sturridge, so we still seem to be hoping for this potential to bear fruit.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Transfer committee sorry.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

I have to say that I'm getting a bit annoyed with all the '3 points off 4th' posts.

We are 6 points off 1st and 4 behind a fairly average Man U team. Have we given up catching them already?? The PL is full of bang average teams at the moment, so its not as if anyone is out of sight.

I'm not saying we will win the league (we won't) but if you aim for 1st and fall short, the CL spot is a nice consolation. Aim for 4th and fall short and its thursday night football again.

I can understand fans being realistic, but it really annoys me to see supporters of Liverpool 'aim for 4th'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

ricero wrote: »

I presume ya mean agenda, and yeah I agree. Really put me off going on their site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Luckily due to rank incompetence among our direct rivals Liverpool are still in the hunt for a top 4 spot. No reason why Klopp won't get the squad firing pretty quickly. It not a bad collection of players - just a poorly constructed team.

Quality is not the issue. His football is physically demanding, played at a pace we're not used to especially without the ball.

Without a full preseason to prepare for that, it's going to take it's toll. Whether it being players only lasting 60 mins before looking dead on their feet, the end of the season trailing off horribly, or Klopp not implementing his system fully until next season.

None of those outcomes are good for the short term...

ricero wrote: »

Still doesn't mean those 10 points are wrong.

9 are spot on and letting Gerrard go was probably the right choice but that is debatable among fans.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Benimar wrote: »
    I have to say that I'm getting a bit annoyed with all the '3 points off 4th' posts.

We are 6 points off 1st and 4 behind a fairly average Man U team. Have we given up catching them already?? The PL is full of bang average teams at the moment, so its not as if anyone is out of sight.

I'm not saying we will win the league (we won't) but if you aim for 1st and fall short, the CL spot is a nice consolation. Aim for 4th and fall short and its thursday night football again.

I can understand fans being realistic, but it really annoys me to see supporters of Liverpool 'aim for 4th'.

We should aim to win all our games. I've no problem with supporters saying they want the club to aim for 4th (although I wouldn't put it like that) but the club should never come out and say that. The club line should be that we are attempting to win every game and finish as high as we can and progress as far in the cups as we can.

In theory that should be every clubs aim really I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

You could aim for first and end up 12th, I no is clichéd but they should only have one aim and that is to win the next game thinking any further ahead is counterproductive.

I think anyone hoping that Kloppo (as I now know him) will raid Dortmund for any of their star players is fooling themselves - the two players that he could get and that Liverpool actually need are happily the same - Subotic and Sven Bender. Bring them in for Lovren and Allen in January and that would be a good start.

5starpool wrote: »
    We should aim to win all our games. I've no problem with supporters saying they want the club to aim for 4th (although I wouldn't put it like that) but the club should never come out and say that. The club line should be that we are attempting to win every game and finish as high as we can and progress as far in the cups as we can.

In theory that should be every clubs aim really I guess.

That's what I liked about Kenny when he was in charge, all he said was something like we'll attempt to win all our games and see where we end up at the end of the season. Now they obviously had targets behind the scenes but whenever the press questioned him he kept his cards close to his chest.

I think anyone hoping that Kloppo (as I now know him) will raid Dortmund for any of their star players is fooling themselves - the two players that he could get and that Liverpool actually need are happily the same - Subotic and Sven Bender. Bring them in for Lovren and Allen in January and that would be a good start.

We don't want Benders at our club...... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Allen is one of our best pressers, can't see Klopp getting rid when we are so light in midfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Well I don't think we could get a reus I expect him to play for a barca or Madrid but maybe we could tempt gundogan or Hummel's to the premeir league

K-9 wrote: »
    Can't think of any successful buys from them since Coutinho and Sturridge, so we still seem to be hoping for this potential to bear fruit.
    Would we have a different opinion of players if they had been utilised in their proper positions? That was part of the issue with Rodgers, how he handled the players he wanted over those he was given. This season, he played Firmino and Ings as wingbacks, but Benteke was only utilised as a centre forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Still doesn't mean those 10 points are wrong.

9 are spot on and letting Gerrard go was probably the right choice but that is debatable among fans.

No.9 is utter poo, blaming Rodgers for Gerrard's red card against MU is ridiculous. Only one person to blame there.

No. 8; was Sterling actually at wing-back more than once or twice? I hadn't thought so, but am happy to be corrected.

No. 7; if Stevie wants to coach, he'd want to get started on his badges. Coaching positions should not be sinecures for beloved ex-players. And he was done as a player.

No. 3; hardly his call to allow it to go ahead, but he seemed to relish a bit too much for his own liking.

Pretty much agree with the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Milner will work most effectively in the middle with Henderson beside him. They haven't really had that chance yet.

I'd say he would work most effectively in LW/ LM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

You could aim for first and end up 12th

Thats Chelsea you are thinking of :pac:

I suppose what I'm saying is, would I be happy with 4th? I suppose I would in a 'that was nice, wonder who we get in the CL playoff' sort of way that would pass in a few minutes.

Compare that with winning a trophy (any trophy).

I'm not sure how you aim for 4th anyway. Aim for the top and see where you end up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I'd say he would work most effectively in LW/ LM.

At the weekend is was getting more into the wide areas and looked fairly effective. With Henderson beside him he would have more freedom to do so, and likewise, Hendo could get more to the right side. He normally drifts out there as well.
    So if we had a midfield 3 with a holding player like Lucas between it would work out well. The beauty is that Henderson and Milner will have the engine and disipline to get back into the middle.

corwill wrote: »
    No.9 is utter poo, blaming Rodgers for Gerrard's red card against MU is ridiculous. Only one person to blame there.

No. 8; was Sterling actually at wing-back more than once or twice? I hadn't thought so, but am happy to be corrected.

No. 7; if Stevie wants to coach, he'd want to get started on his badges. Coaching positions should not be sinecures for beloved ex-players. And he was done as a player.

No. 3; hardly his call to allow it to go ahead, but he seemed to relish a bit too much for his own liking.

Pretty much agree with the rest.

9 & 7. His handling of Gerrard was always going to hurt him dropping him for the Madrid game turned lots of fans against him. Not starting Gerrard against Utd was like holding a red rag to a bull when he did put him on. But I agree Gerrard is to blame for the red card but the manager should have been able to see the build up in rage in the player before putting him on and his man management is supposed to be his strong point.

Letting Gerrard go was the right choice and maybe a season to late.

8. Sterling was played as wing back way to much.

3. Being Liverpool was right up his alley and he loved every minute of it and gave way to the whole Bent memes which he was never able to get past because that is who he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Thats Chelsea you are thinking of :pac:

I suppose what I'm saying is, would I be happy with 4th? I suppose I would in a 'that was nice, wonder who we get in the CL playoff' sort of way that would pass in a few minutes.

Compare that with winning a trophy (any trophy).

I'm not sure how you aim for 4th anyway. Aim for the top and see where you end up.

The way things are going we may end up with only 3 Champions league spots in england. That would make things very tricky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://twitter.com/ViktorFagerLFC/status/651345630158319617

https://twitter.com/ViktorFagerLFC/status/651346039300075520

so pretty much all the PL signings were Rodgers as many of us thought. With the Committee & Klopp I would imagine we will be looking abroad & hoping to bring players through the academy.

Regardless of what one thinks of Rodgers its pretty clear his eye for a player had a cataract.

I don't see Klopp and Liverpool going back for any Dortmund players, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Whatever about Lovren, there's no need to leave Allen go as he's a rotation player. If we brought Bender is, then we'd have 4 players (Bender, Hendo, Milner, Lucas) who will want to start every game but only 2 positions to play them in.

• Advertisement

Allen, Lallana, Ings, Milner, Can, Sakho, Firmino and I would even say the Southampton Lovren are all suited to Klopp's pressing style.

I wouldn't write all the transfers off yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement