Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

I find it amusing to an extent that folks consider all the non premier league signings to be committee buys and are happy to give Rodgers all the "credit" for the rest.

Surely we have to presume the committee or most of it were in favour of Lallana, Ings, Benteke etc too.

Anyway I wouldn't be overly optimistic of the flood of TV money making us opt for BIG purchases as lots of other clubs will be benefitting too and many are already comfy money wise.

I reckon the £30m that currently buys you a Benteke, Lukaku or Bony won't stretch too far in the future.

As others have mentioned I do think our squad is quite good and really close to being Top4 quality, as bad as as the defence is Clyne & Sakho aren't at all bad so we're at least half way there. Gomez and Moreno are capable too so fingers crossed etc etc.

New manager will provide a short term boost one would expect so the upcoming games might well return a decent haul, a point at Goodison wasn't a bad start to the 4 game run... Spurs, S'ton & Chelsea to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Nope, not good enough to start for Villa but definitely should have been starting for us.

Really? Despite his being completely untested at this level? Drop Skrtel for him? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Dickerty wrote: »
    Really? Despite his being completely untested at this level? Drop Skrtel for him? :rolleyes:

I was being sarcastic.

People were giving out a few weeks ago that he should have been kept at the club and played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

i think we will see somnething more in line with this , although it does not look well balanced

Mignolet

Clyne
    Skrtel
    Sakho
    Moreno

Henderson
    Lucas

----Milner
    Firmino
    Coutinho

Sturridge

On current form Ings and Sturridge have to start in a two up front formation.
    Drop Firmino. Play the other 4 Mids in a diamond.

I hope if Klopp comes in and maybe plays Lovren over Sakho or plays Can at the back etc that people will not start with all the spoofer talk about Klopp too. We can accept that a manager can't please every fan out there with his team selection so we can trust his judgement of what he sees himself on the training ground, I'll be pretty pissed off if he's getting grief early doors.

Only an idiot writes a manager off within the first 6 months, unless the manager is roy Hodgson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Still dont see the fuss about Moreno. Defensively he's quite poor.
    He doesnt seem to have learned in the year and a half he's been at the club. Last Sunday summed up his defensive abilities ...standing off his man, not blocking the cross, turning his back on the ball for fear of getting hit in the face, in the f*cking derby!!
    Great speed up and down the line but his final ball is shocking too.
    Still only 23 so hopefully he improves over the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

In the short term with Hendo and Firmino both out is straight forward

Mignolet
    Clyne--Sktrel--Sakho--Moreno
    Lucas
    Milner--Can
    Coutinho
    Sturidge--Ings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Sign him up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

One big plus for me on Klopp is that you can imagine a lot of talented players would really want to play for him.
    So in Jan and summer, the Klopp factor might be a big element in attracting someone like a Reus, or Matuidi, or Oliver Torres for example - I think they would leave an already big club for a chance to maybe be part of something special with Klopp...

We have enough Oliver Torres's at the club (Coutinho, Lallana, Firmino), plus he is so unbelievably overrated it's unreal. He had around 5 good games for Porto all of last season, and in most of the other games, he was anonymous. I'm not saying at all that you haven't seen much of him, but I have a feeling you may have only seen his good games (sure even Joe Allen had some great games for us, doesn't put him in the class of Reus and Matuidi though).

Sorry if it sounds like I'm having a go at you, I just can't stand the overhyping of young players when they haven't done a whole lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I don't think we'll see much of a different in starting XI, he can only play what we have, moreso on our approach and balance between defence and attack.

Only positions that we really need to address are CB beside Sakho and holding CMs. The rest pick themselves, for now...

Migs
    -Clyne-?????-Sakho-Moreno-
    CM
    CM
    -Firmino-Coutinho-Sturridge-
    Benteke

So CMs are between Hendo, Milner, Can and Lucas. Hendo and Can for me, with potential for Milner to replace either Firmino or Benteke with a change of shape...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

just to bring people back down to earth...

we've also been linked with Mark Warburton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

SlickRic wrote: »

FSG would be hunted out if they did that, nearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

If we hire Warburton the boycotts will start. It would be the toughest start imaginable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If we hire Warburton the boycotts will start. It would be the toughest start imaginable.
    You could say there will be war if we hire Warburton? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Is that on the back of my post recently? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If the rumours about which players were transfer committee signings and which were Rodgers signings then I don't think the committee has been that bad.

Coutinho, Sturridge, Sakho, Moreno, Firmino, Can, Markovic - all look to have something imo. Some are important first team players already, and I wouldn't write off the others.

Very excited to see how we line up under Klopp (assuming there are no late hitches).

Mignolet

Clyne
    Skrtel
    Sakho
    Moreno

Can

Henderson
    Coutinho

----Sturridge
    Benteke
    Firmino

That would be my preferred system with the current personnel. We are really missing a pacy wide player, and I wish Markovic was still here.

The players they didn't get plus Mario or Eto probably says more about the committee though.

They seem to be getting away scot free out of all of it, they have to go back nearly 3 years to their last successful buys.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Lads, everyone is saying the committee will stay. That structure is in place in a LOT of other big European clubs. They may also have a DoF who handles negotiation and contracts, and the manager is a coach first and foremost.

But there is a risk in the manager making the decisions on who to sign. Those signings may only fit into that managers style of play, or they would sign older, more proven players because it gives a better chance of immediate return.
    At least we have been investing in younger players and TRYING to find better value, and players like Moreno, Markovic, Sakho, Clyne, Henderson, Ings and Can WILL prove to be good long term intestments - either to the first team, or to the balance sheet.

They should just call it the scouting committee, would stop people stressing out about something they have no actual knowledge of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

You could say there will be war if we hire Warburton? :o

It'll be like that film - War of the Burtons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I hope if Klopp comes in and maybe plays Lovren over Sakho or plays Can at the back etc that people will not start with all the spoofer talk about Klopp too. We can accept that a manager can't please every fan out there with his team selection so we can trust his judgement of what he sees himself on the training ground, I'll be pretty pissed off if he's getting grief early doors.

Usually a new manager only gets grief from those who defended the previous manager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

K-9 wrote: »
    The players they didn't get plus Mario or Eto probably says more about the committee though.

They seem to be getting away scot free out of all of it, they have to go back nearly 3 years to their last successful buys.

But if that happened, why wasn't Rodgers in the press going on about wanting a table but being give a stool instead?

People saying Klopp is in Liverpool

https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/651381686865891328

CQo-TgoUYAA1m3S.jpg:large

Now, the sceptic in me says that could easily be Klopp back when Dortmund came to Anfield for a friendly a year ago.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Knex. wrote: »

Now, the sceptic in me says that could easily be Klopp back when Dortmund came to Anfield for a friendly a year ago.

LOL.

If Klopp was in Liverpool to negotiate a contract and terms, he would not be out and about walking on the street. His days would be spent in taxis, offices, and hotel suites, with dashes through lobbies in between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

spockety wrote: »
    LOL.

If Klopp was in Liverpool to negotiate a contract and terms, he would not be out and about walking on the street. His days would be spent in taxis, offices, and hotel suites, with dashes through lobbies in between.

This is Jurgen Klopp we are talking about you know.

LOL.

Yeah, was thinking that.

Also, he'd hardly be openly just wandering about, not swamped by people.

Folks on reddit and twitter are going nuts, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Nooooo!!!

Please don't start this sh*t again.

This thread...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Usually a new manager only gets grief from those who defended the previous manager

As somebody who defended Rodgers, I will back who ever comes in.

Whoever it is they need a chance to try different things with the squad we have and they have enough time before January to have a proper look at who will be in their plans and who wont.

I hope Rodgers lands on his feet but while I will always talk of respect for him like I do for Rafa, it is the past and we now need to back our new saviour :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I wonder if Markovic can be called back from his loan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

That picture was taken a few days ago in Germany.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jurgen-klopp-insists-its-not-6582581

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Maybe Gundogan will come join him in the summer.

Gundogan: Klopp would be a great fit for Liverpool
    Jurgen Klopp would be an ideal candidate for the Liverpool job, according to Ilkay Gundogan and Karl-Heinz Riedle.
    Ilkay Gundogan is certain that former Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp would be a success at Liverpool.
    Following the Premier League club's dismissal of Brendan Rodgers, the German has emerged as a front-runner for the vacant position.
    Klopp signed Gundogan for the Signal Iduna Park outfit in 2011 and the 24-year-old is sure that he would make a positive impact at Anfield should he be given the chance.
    "I've not had that much contact with him recently and I've not followed much of what has been said, but I think Klopp would be a great fit at many clubs and I believe also at Liverpool," the 24-year-old said.
    "Of course it's something I can see happening. I think Klopp is capable of helping many top clubs in the world."
    Former Dortmund player Karl-Heinz Riedle also backed the two-time Bundesliga-winning coach as the right man to take the helm due to the similarities between the German side and Liverpool.
    "I would be very glad if he got the job at Liverpool because I think he is a very good coach. He is 100 per cent right for Liverpool," Riedle told Sky Sports.
    "He brings a lot of enthusiasm to the team, he is very good at motivating the team and I think the two clubs are both quite similar in terms of the fans and the structures.
    "So he knows the atmosphere and he knows to get the fans behind the team.
    "When he took over at Dortmund seven years ago it was not the aim to win the champions in one or two years but then he achieved that.
    "The pressure will be a little bit higher at the beginning compared to Dortmund but he has learned so much that he can handle it easily."
    Whoever takes the job will assume responsibility for a side who sit 10th in the table, having won just one of their last six top-flight games.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/sg/news/gundogan-klopp-would-be-great-fit-liverpool#:mnXKfe8_fdVduA

It's a smokescreen. That is actually his brother, Klippity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I think people can, will, and should give their opinion on performances of the team, and by extension it's manager, from DAY ONE.

Otherwise what's the point of using Boards and this forum in particular? To read grown men bickering like prissy school-girls? No I don't think so

I posted recently my wifes uncle (Sports journalist based in New York and Boston) said Klopp would be the next Liverpool Manager at the first sign of bad results from Rodgers. Thankfully it looks like its going to happen and I rang him there annoying him about it. He just said " Don't worry Klopp for the Kop is done everything changed 2 weeks ago".

Good enough for me, WELCOME JURGEN

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

If the rumours about which players were transfer committee signings and which were Rodgers signings then I don't think the committee has been that bad.

Coutinho, Sturridge, Sakho, Moreno, Firmino, Can, Markovic - all look to have something imo. Some are important first team players already, and I wouldn't write off the others.

Very excited to see how we line up under Klopp (assuming there are no late hitches).

Mignolet

Clyne
    Skrtel
    Sakho
    Moreno

Can

Henderson
    Coutinho

----Sturridge
    Benteke
    Firmino

That would be my preferred system with the current personnel. We are really missing a pacy wide player, and I wish Markovic was still here.

Could be something like that I agree.

The standout weakness there is Can (who I do rate as a player). With Moreno and Clyne bombing forward and being essentially wingers, you need a superb DM who covers a lot of ground and has experience.

Lucas doesn't work here imo (though again I rate Lucas).

I think here is where we need a big signing

I think we've pretty much all accepted now that Klopp has been a done deal for at least a week or two, FSG are just covering themselves by delaying the announcement to make it appear as though the sacking of Rodger's was a snap decision. I reckon Klopp was contacted after the loss to United, but that's just my guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

This is a brilliant quote from Kloppo. lol.

"If, in the last four years, Barcelona were the first team I saw playing when I was four years of age — this serenity of football, they win 5-0, 6-0 — I would have played tennis.

"It is not my sport. I don’t like winning with 80 per cent [possession]. Sorry that is not enough for me. Fighting football, not serenity football, that is what I like. What we call in German 'English' — rainy day, heavy pitch, 5-5, everybody is dirty in the face and goes home and cannot play for weeks after."

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Where dis you see this out of curiosity?

Morzadec wrote: »
    Could be something like that I agree.

The standout weakness there is Can (who I do rate as a player). With Moreno and Clyne bombing forward and being essentially wingers, you need a superb DM who covers a lot of ground and has experience.

Lucas doesn't work here imo (though again I rate Lucas).

I think here is where we need a big signing

Gundogan, while not an out and out DM, would be incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

On current form Ings and Sturridge have to start in a two up front formation.
    Drop Firmino. Play the other 4 Mids in a diamond.

Don't disgree but looking at the formations he played back in Dortmund he does not seemto play two strikers .

I know F all about Dortmund so open to correction , assuming that is true , alot of changes needed to get a squad in line with Klopps history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think we could have a chance of getting Sven Bender. Currently not starting for Dortmund. Would be a great signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

If we play a diamond then we need an out and out DM.

If we play with a 4231 then I don't think a dedicated DM is strictly necessary. In that situation we'd need two high-energy all round midfielders, so Henderson and hopefully someone new.

• Advertisement

What is Klopp's record at Dortmund when it comes to goals conceded?

I know his preferred style is very similar to what Rodgers managed to give us in 13/14 real balls out chaotic attacking football. I've seen a good few Dortmund games under him and there has been a lot of high scoring thrillers.

MD1990 wrote: »
    I think we could have a chance of getting Sven Bender. Currently not starting for Dortmund. Would be a great signing.

He started at center half at the weekend, very odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

WeirdAlienatedKitten.gif

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

WeirdAlienatedKitten.gif

LOL, seen that clip a few times.. anyone know what the context is?? What provoked the reaction, and where does it go from there???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

LOL, seen that clip a few times.. anyone know what the context is?? What provoked the reaction, and where does it go from there???

Not sure really, seen iton reddit last night. Absolutely hillarious, he seems like a complete nutjob, but with the talent to back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Utd fans told him Liverpool are a small club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

An absolute nut job who plays direct no nonsense football and talks about his club winning and being great at every opportunity.

He would be my dream manager in many respects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Is there going too be a club announcement at 5pm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Is there going too be a club announcement at 5pm?

No!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement