Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

John Barnes was a disaster as Celtic manager, Dalglish was not I'm afraid.

Danny-Dyer-at-the-Run-for-010.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Danny-Dyer-at-the-Run-for-010.jpg

Thats just silly, Dyer would never use the word afraid... he fears nothing geezer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

SM01 wrote: »
    I'm quite the skeptic but I find he's rarely wrong and he imparts information ahead of nearly everyone else.

Like myself, so....not sure if I believe you.

Scottish premiership is joke shop territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

george-drumming.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Scottish premiership is joke shop territory.

It's not a joke shop, it's just a league without TV money. There's few leagues in the world as well attended as the Scottish league relative to the population

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's not a joke shop, it's just a league without TV money. There's few leagues in the world as well attended as the Scottish league relative to the population

Moreso, it's a league without competition. They desperately need genuine competition to increase interest, money, and the need for the top teams to push each other into raising the quality. It's too easy for Celtic to canter to the league with a squad that can't do anything in Europe.
    (Admittedly Aberdeen are making a good go of it right now, but you still have to fancy Celtic over the course of the season without too much trouble)

It's not competitive.

It's a two horse race that lost a horse.

I have a handful of friends that go to quite a few celtic games every season and they say it's brutal these days. They want rangers back asap.

The league need them back too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Danny Dyer is always "pwoppah brickin' it" , check out Kevin Bridges talking about him standing outside the old firm game in Glasgow. Just google Kevin Bridges Danny Dyer and watch the whole youtube vid.

Literally the only thing related to the SPL that is remotely interesting to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

So, when the new manager comes in:

A)How long should he be given before a decision is made as to him being successful or not?

B)What should his target be by the end of this season?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

jpboard1 wrote: »

A)How long should he be given before a decision is made as to him being successful or not?

A - You could probably judge by the end of the season if its going to work out or not.

B - at the moment, aim for 4th, be content with 5th (sh*te state of affairs but what can you do)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

A) At least 2 full seasons

B) top 5 finish and a decent cup run in either Europe or the FA Cup.

Failure to get champions league or trophies within 3 years would be failure. Even after 2 years we would want to be damn close.

Top 4 or trophy has to be a target this season. That goes without saying.

Top 4 is a crazy target for a manager starting in October with the run of form we've had. You judge him on next season at the very earliest. We need to give him time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

I certainly wouldn't be counting it as a failure if we didn't get 4th this year. I actually expect it but won't judge him if it doesn't happen.
    I feel he would want to put us in fourth in the next 2 years(while other top teams are struggling). After that I think it will get harder. We need to seize the opportunity while its there.

• Advertisement

Top 4 is a crazy target for a manager starting in October with the run of form we've had. You judge him on next season at the very earliest. We need to give him time.

It's not a crazy target at all.

What should we target? 5th?

We might not get top 4 or trophy but we have to have them as a target. Otherwise what's the point at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Until the end of next season.

If he has not got us Top 4 then, then a rethink will be in order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If top four isn't the target, then I can't see why FSG would change the manager. Especially not 8 games into a season where he had just spent 80 odd million.

Knex. wrote: »
    If top four isn't the target, then I can't see why FSG would change the manager. Especially not 8 games into a season where he had just spent 80 odd million.

Exactly. If we want to trundle on in 6th or so keep Rodgers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

We are 3 points off 4th. Why wouldn't we challenge for top 4 ?

Especially with Klopp in charge, I think it's the minimum he will expect himself. So he can attract better players to the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A CL place should be the target this season without a doubt and I would expect whoever gets the job will be aiming for that as well.

If we finish 6th or 7th and don't win a cup will some people seriously be calling for a replacement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Trying to throw a sickie to get back to Anfield to meet the new manager.

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/651462924918222848

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

If we finish 6th or 7th and don't win a cup will some people seriously be calling for a replacement?

Nope. Only fools.

There's a big difference between a minimum requirement and what we should targeting. Clearly our target should be top 4, however not getting it won't be sackable offence even nearly

This season? No

If it happened this season and next questions would have to be asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

For this season the new manager will pretty much be safe no matter what, that's not to say this season is a write-off though. We're not long in and a top 4 finish is not at all out of the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Judging by tody's football world:

A) Two weeks

B) League title winners.

Klopp out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I will look at more than league position in his first season. A clear progression in style and substance would be key for me just like Rodgers did.
    Year 2 he will need to hit the heights rodgers did or atleast win a cup and/or cl spot.
    Year 3 I expect to be a strong challenger for the league and finish in the top 4.

Progression in European competition is imperative also be it ucl or el.

For me he also doesn't get anymore leeway than rodgers due to his record expectations are even greater than rodgers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Judging by tody's football world:

A) Two weeks

B) League title winners.

Klopp out!!

I'll give him the Spurs game before I make my final judgement on him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Can't answer A for ya, but the target for us should ALWAYS be the league title. Every team, even Bournemouth, should aim for the league title, even if they haven't a hope in hell.

Yeah, it's not going to happen at all for 15-16 teams in the league, but you have to aim to win every game, and even if Klopp is away to City or United, he will want to win every game, he won't settle for draws.

Now when it gets to April and you're in the hunt, that's when you start settling for draws, when draws are good results. Not doing so is one of the reasons we blew it in 13/14, but that's another story. Bottom line is; aim high, it's utterly pointless not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Especially as he does a lot of the work regarding pressing and the like during pre-season when he has weeks on end to work on it. Harder to do when you have games coming up once or twice a week.

That said if he makes an instant impact then why not try finishing as high as possible.

Especially as he does a lot of the work regarding pressing and the like during pre-season when he has weeks on end to work on it. Harder to do when you have games coming up once or twice a week.

I'm picturing a lot of players tiring at the hour mark in quite a few of our matches over the next few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Jurgen Klopp to Liverpool: Romantic coach enchanted by club's storied history

The German coach is old enough to remember the Merseyside's clubs glory days and romantic enough to wish to restore them

A hopeful crowd gathered at the gates of Melwood yesterday afternoon, waiting for smoke to rise from the training enclave like it does when the Vatican chooses a new pope.

Elsewhere, Jürgen Klopp and his advisors were discussing the prospect of a future at Liverpool; a managerial responsibility that on Merseyside is papal in its standing.

Those who know Klopp well say he is a romantic and this is why Liverpool enchants him. He acts on instinct and feeling. He pays attention to the memories that rattle around in the back of his consciousness; memories that remain vivid no matter how long they have been there.

Like other German men in his age group, Klopp, 48, remembers when England’s football teams dominated Europe. He was a month short of his tenth birthday, when, in 1977, Liverpool collected its first European Cup by beating Borussia Mönchengladbach in Rome.

As Klopp approached adulthood, Hamburg, Mönchengladbach again and Bayern Munich were dispatched by Liverpool and consequentially, Anfield’s trophy room needed extending.

Klopp remembers an era when the tradition of English football commanded an aura: when Germany and its football culture aspired to be English instead of it being the other way around as it is now.

Klopp’s mind is not cluttered. But it remembers. He will have thought about what it was like when he took over at Borussia Dortmund. He will realise that there are some similarities with history and present circumstance at Liverpool. He will recognise the differences too.

The message from Fenway Sports Group, Liverpool’s owners, will be to make Liverpool successful again and almost certainly, to qualify for the Champions League. The message will be delivered as more of an ambition rather than a demand.

At Dortmund, he was not recruited to turn back the clocks and propel the club to the top of the Bundesliga. The mood in 2008 was corrosive: a fan base feeling short-changed and fed up of a team that did not reliably give 100-per-cent to the cause. Supporters merely wanted to see effort again, something they could identify with: players with the ability to harness the passion from the terraces onto the pitch.

In his first weeks at Dortmund he considered it crucial the process of speaking with fan groups. When one eminent ultra who, because of his job as an insurance salesman, was caught in traffic and therefore late for a meeting by one hour, Klopp insisted on the sit-down being delayed for as long as it took because he wanted everyone to be there.

Klopp was already popular in Germany before landing the job at the Westfalenstadion. Working as a pundit during the World Cup of 2006, while he was still in charge of Mainz, his popularity rocketed because of his natural and funny manner in front of the camera. He rarely said the same thing twice and did not use stock phrases.

This ability was crucial at Dortmund where his pre-match team talks became legendary and presidential in its deliverance. His command of language when speaking in German is creative and although competent in English – certainly by the standards of other foreign managers - it may have concerned him that it is not strong enough to get an impassioned but clear message across in the really vital moments. It explains why he has rejected several offers to manage in Spain since beginning a sabbatical in May. He realises his limitations.

Klopp is certainly no careerist. He played only for Mainz before becoming manager for seven years, spending the same number of seasons at Dortmund. Though he has been offered a three-year contract by Liverpool, he feels this will be his only English club and could end up staying for longer if the relationship works.

Friends say that although he did not initially realise it, he had come to accept that a year away from football would be beneficial for his own well being, such is the intensity with which he operates. When Lucien Favre resigned as Mönchengladbach’s manager on September 20, Klopp was immediately suggested as a replacement by those with power inside the club but Klopp made it clear he wanted to remain at peace for a little while longer.

Friends also say his decision to join Liverpool will not be based around what money is on offer. Potentially, he will earn considerably more at Anfield than he did at Dortmund and unusually; some believe it might even put him off, a sign of Liverpool’s desperation and a reflection of the Premier League’s transience.

This thought will bring him to the issue of the people he is working for. When Brendan Rodgers was sacked on Sunday by telephone, it was mainly due to the fact that those making the decision were a plane ride away across the Atlantic. When Klopp left Dortmund, chairman Hans-Joachim Watzke, was by his side and holding the expression of someone whose relative had died. Klopp, in need of a break, appeared relieved. Watzke was shattered. But he was there.

Klopp realises managing Liverpool will pose different challenges to Dortmund. He will arrive in a place that is certainly fragile and certainly fortunate, fortunate that at least one significant person inside the football world takes a sympathetic view of Liverpool’s continuing claim to greatness, someone who ultimately, is stirred by the nostalgic bonds of history.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jurgen-klopp-to-liverpool-reds-offer-three-year-deal-but-clubs-history-could-see-him-stay-longer-a6683636.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I hate people who hope for 4th place finish
    I want to win and be disappointed with 2nd
    I hope Klopp feels the same
    I'm sure he does

We come 5th or 6th because we aim for 4th!
    Players playing for 4th from first game of season
    It pisses me off !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I'm sure he does

It pisses me off !

I think you need to take stock of where Liverpool are as a club. We would all love and want us to win the league every year, but it aint going to happen. If we are properly challenging at the top of the league every year, thats where i think we can be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'm sure he does

It pisses me off !

The fans hope for 4th, a top 4 finish is what we need and that's okay.

The players don't approach every game with 4th place in mind, the players go into each game only focused on winning that game.

Just keep in mind lads, a top 4 finish could mean nothing if the PL clubs in Europe keep letting us down. At this rate, 3rd place will be needed to qualify, because Serie A are close to overtaking us.

Look, our target should be winning the league. I mean if you are going to make up arbitrary targets which don't mean anything, then they may as well be grand.

In reality, if we haven't reached 4th at the end of season 2 he will be under pressure, if he doesn't hit that by season 3, he'll be under the same scrutiny that Rodgers was. That's probably the reality of being a LFC manager and the urgency we have to achieve an improvement.

Cups, at least domestic ones, won't guarantee you any longevity, we more or less know that. It's all about hitting the CL money positions. Tis the name of the game.

ps..targets are mere ambitions, what i think Rodgers was given and what the new man will get are objectives with consequences if they are not achieved by certain timescales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

martyos121 wrote: »
    Just keep in mind lads, a top 4 finish could mean nothing if the PL clubs in Europe keep letting us down. At this rate, 3rd place will be needed to qualify, because Serie A are close to overtaking us.

What's this US business, I'm an Irish man as are most here but if your English then please excuse me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Lads Klopp hasn't even managed to win a game yet as liverpool manager, we deserve better than that, i'm sick of being the patient club... Klopp out...

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Aiming for a top 4 finish is pretty optimistic to say the least. There will be an initial period of orientation for JK and his people, team studies, changes to style of play etc. I think we have the squad to finish ahead of spurs who are improving all the time. CL is a very lofty ambition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I really don't get this line of questioning or thinking. We haven't even appointed a new manager and we're already discussing how long he's got before calling for him to be sacked? I don't understand how fans think like that?

Anytime a new manager is appointed, i'm automatically looking to the next two or three seasons. I'm not sitting round in judgement laying down imaginary laws to a manager i have no influence over. I'm just looking forward to the next chapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What's this US business, I'm an Irish man as are most here but if your English then please excuse me

You're not actually being serious, are you?

Ah don't be nitpicking now, you know what I meant.

Well spotted though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Is the site still fcuked for anybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    An absolute nut job who plays direct no nonsense football and talks about his club winning and being great at every opportunity.

He would be my dream manager in many respects.

But you hated Dortmund when he was in charge :confused:

monkey9 wrote: »
    You're not actually being serious, are you?

Nah he makes sense in fairness, it isn't "our" league, I'll admit I worded it badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

A fair bit better but still having new pages with half the last page's posts on it and stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Ya, or at least half fcuked

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement