Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Doesn't matter if it's really him or not. That's our manager in that Vine and he is a lunatic

Did he agree a contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Lads genuinely excited for the first time since:

1. We beat City at Anfield two seasons ago
    2. We signed Torres
    3. We signed Steve Finnan (and I mean that)

Bring out the Pandas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

razorblunt wrote: »
    Lads genuinely excited for the first time since:

1. We beat City at Anfield two seasons ago
    2. We signed Torres
    3. We signed Steve Finnan (and I mean that)

Bring out the Pandas!

Steve Finnan was fantastic at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

quarryman wrote: »
    Did he agree a contract?

So my sources are telling me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Really good article on how Klopp could apply his tactics to the current squad:

http://eplindex.com/14831/jurgen-klopp-succeed-liverpool-failing-dortmund.html

:rolleyes: Looks like we gots a funny guy on our hands

By the way he set up at Dortmund I would expect our team to line up like this (IF he uses the same tactics)

When we are defending/dont have the ball)
    Migs
    Clyne---Skrtel---Sakho---Moreno
    Lucas----Milner
    Hendo
    Coutinho
    Sturridge
    Benteke

(when we are attacking)
    Migs
    Skrtel
    Sakho
    Clyne---Lucas---Milner---Moreno
    Hendo
    Coutinho
    Benteke----Sturridge

Klopp famously said (paraphrasing) - Arsenal are like an Orchestra and Dortmund are more like heavy metal.

Arsenal like to pass pass pass. But Klopp likes his team to win the ball as fast as possible and get the ball forward as pick as possible for a shot on goal.

He likes his teams to play a very high line so there is less distance for his team to travel to get a shot on goal.

He plays with wide players but these players usually come inside when attacking and his full backs (wing backs) provide width on the outside. He likes his full backs to score goals aswell by the way.

He likes his team to be high energy and to press from the forward line. This means when we lose the ball that Sturridge and Bene will be expected to try to win the ball back as quick as possible.

His teams usually play with one striker and a support forward who tries to get into vacated space left by defenders "taken out of position" by the striker.

His center mids he likes at least one out and out defensive mid but has no issue playing two out and out defensive mids if needed as he likes his teams to win the ball before it becomes the defenders job. But when one of his center mids isnt defensive he wants them to be high energy and able to run ALOT.

His teams are usually young and high energy with pace in the wing back spots and passing ability out wide. His strikers are usually a mix of power and pace.

Our team has loads of weak points lets no kid ourselves but our team does have players who can play the roles he likes. Are our players good enough long term?? probably not. But at least they will get a chance to prove it one way or another and Klopp will see who needs the most urgent replacing in January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

BBC saying the club hope to finish negotiations within 48 hours!

Jaysus its close lads.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

“Liverpool is also one of the biggest clubs in the world, so Liverpool and Jürgen Klopp is definitely a good combination. He is also a winner.”

Beckenbauer

But all those people in the rodgers sacked thread said this wasn't true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

So if this morning's press reports are to be believed the deal is all tied up and the announcement will be made before the week is out.

I'm very excited at the prospect of Klopp taking over. I thought the timing of the Rodgers' sacking was strange, but I presume that background talks had already established that Klopp was available and willing to come.

Never thought Ancelotti would have been a good fit for the club.

I feel sorry for Rodgers in some ways. The 13/14 season was the best time to be a Liverpool fan for the last 2 decades (04/05 was pretty awful football tbh), some of the football was genuinely breath-taking and he deserves a lot of credit for this. I think he was undone (as so many managers are) by the quality of the signings, whether his or the transfer committees is immaterial, the whole set up just sounds very dysfunctional.
    His team sections and substitutions were at times baffling, but there is also, I feel, a very good coach in there.

His statement after being sacked was classy and I hope he goes on to have a very successful post-Liverpool career - in fact I think he will.

As for Klopp, I think he is just what the Club needs right now. We have some very good players and the rest of the League (other than perhaps City) look very vulnerable. Top 4 is there for the taking - is it too much to ask in his first season, coming to the Club in October?

Probably, but I'm asking anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

But you hated Dortmund when he was in charge :confused:

I liked Dortmund, I detested their hipster fair weather swell of support. Don't hear much about them since it started to go pear shaped early last season do ya?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I liked Dortmund, I detested their hipster fair weather swell of support. Don't hear much about them since it started to go pear shaped early last season do ya?

Why did you hate it? Don't you think it's great to see smaller clubs take on the big dogs in Europe? Do you hate Atletico's recent success too?

punk_one82 wrote: »
    Why did you hate it? Don't you think it's great to see smaller clubs take on the big dogs in Europe? Do you hate Atletico's recent success too?

Dortmund and Athletico are not small clubs. They are relative Giants of the European game. Dortmund won the European Cup 18 years ago like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Not everyone has become an Atletico fan though, La Liga followers still gravitate towards either Real or Barca. But EVERYONE loved Dortmund.

And I think that's fine! They were a middling team that broke the established order, like Valencia under Rafa or Parma in the 90s. So kudos to them, I say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jasus I'm away with the fairies, I just read the same page twice (thanks boards' unique instant replay service) and didn't realise until I tried to thank a post twice.

Dortmund and Athletico are not small clubs. They are relative Giants of the European game. Dortmund won the European Cup 18 years ago like!

I said smaller, not small. They are smaller in comparison to Bayern Munich, they've nowhere near the spending power of PSG, they're nowhere near the level of Barca or Madrid. They took on the powerhouses in Europe and they did incredibly well. They played great, energetic football and their manager was a lovable headcase. People jumped on board and quite rightly so. It's the same as us 2 years ago. Everything clicked, Suarez was our headcase and many neutrals got on board and wanted us to win the league as a result.

Edit: and another reason to love Dortmund is the fans. They had absolutely everything going for them at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Lol they had 80,000 attendances back in 07/08 when they were fighting relegation.You don't have a clue what you are talking about. It was often remarked how the fans stood by the team & Klopp last year & how it showed Dortmund fans were different. But you probably prefer the Real fans who like to boo any player who isn't playing well. They are the supporters I dislike.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    Lol they had 80,000 attendances back in 07/08 when they were fighting relegation.You don't have a clue what you are talking about. It was often remarked how the fans stood by the team & Klopp last year & how it showed Dortmund fans were different. But you probably prefer the Real fans who like to boo any player who isn't playing well. They are the supporters I dislike.

The Dortmund fans are the greatest fans on earth in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Delighted we didn't give the number 8 shirt away since Stevie left. Keep it for reus in January :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Klopps & Rodgers

The whole big club small club debate is right up there with world class or just not world class

Its all relative, circumstantial and subjective

For example we might not think Notts county are a "big club" yet they are the oldest football team in the world. Nottingham forest may not seem "big" but they won the European cup twice which Arsenal have not even won once. Villa again won the European cup. Newcastle have a huge support base.

So saying a club is big based on money is complete horse manure. Arsenal have loads of money but are too pre occupied trying to rip off fans. Their money hasnt brought them a European title. City have no Champions league dispite their billions. Chelsea took what 10 years to win it after their billion quid??

Money buys a lot of things but it doesnt make you a "bigger club"

ffs what did money bring Anzi and Malaga??

Money can disappear but real support wont

Ever wonder what would happen Chelsea if Roman left and decided he wanted his money back? How about City? You really think they are "debt free" if the owner decides he wants his money back?

"Big club" is far too subjective to be as simplistic as "they have more money"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Honey I Blew up the Klopp

• Advertisement

Mr.H wrote: »
    The whole big club small club debate is right up there with world class or just not world class

Its all relative, circumstantial and subjective

For example we might not think Notts county are a "big club" yet they are the oldest football team in the world. Nottingham forest may not seem "big" but they won the European cup twice which Arsenal have not even won once. Villa again won the European cup. Newcastle have a huge support base.

So saying a club is big based on money is complete horse manure. Arsenal have loads of money but are too pre occupied trying to rip off fans. Their money hasnt brought them a European title. City have no Champions league dispite their billions. Chelsea took what 10 years to win it after their billion quid??

Money buys a lot of things but it doesnt make you a "bigger club"

ffs what did money bring Anzi and Malaga??

Money can disappear but real support wont

Ever wonder what would happen Chelsea if Roman left and decided he wanted his money back? How about City? You really think they are "debt free" if the owner decides he wants his money back?

"Big club" is far too subjective to be as simplistic as "they have more money"

Given the fact that I mentioned teams reaching the knockout stages of the Champions League regularly I thought you would see that I wasn't implying money = big club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Ever wonder what would happen Chelsea if Roman left and decided he wanted his money back?

This has been postulated before and the answer is "not a lot would change".

The money he has sunk into the club has been classified as a gift so in the event he walked away, he isnt legally entitled to any of it back. More over, Chelsea have moved from being reliant on him to a model of self sustainability which their accounts of the last few years will attest to. And they've done it without the sly "sponsorship" money that Etihad/City owners used. Their spending has slowed down even with the tv money while most clubs have increased theirs. That may point to their lacklustre recruitment in the summer and poor season so far. A stale squad.

It's a moot point anyway as he's been there long enough to prove he isnt a flash in the pan and is there for the long haul. If he was to sell, another foreign owner would pick up the club quickly. They have assets and a brand that they didnt have a decade ago.

Given the fact that I mentioned teams reaching the knockout stages of the Champions League regularly I thought you would see that I wasn't implying money = big club.

Fair enough I apologise if I am labelling you the wrong way

I just think you are talking Dortmund down a little considering they have only missed out on the knockouts once in the last 5 years.

They are not household names here but in Germany Dortmund are a bid deal. They would be on par with Bayern in terms of domestic support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Klopp, Kop, and two smoking Barrels. All aboard the hype train!

CHOOO! CHOOO! Mutha'fuckas!

YmeX1LE.jpg?1

Good post here on redcafe (yes really - its actually got some very good posters) by a Dortmund fan - worth looking at other posts by that fella.

Jasus I'm away with the fairies, I just read the same page twice (thanks boards' unique instant replay service) and didn't realise until I tried to thank a post twice.

Senility...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

The Dortmund fans are the greatest fans on earth in my opinion.

Agree with this. As a Liverpool supporter i was slightly embarrassed to hear some no mark on the radio yesterday commenting on the Klopp situation remarking that he'll feel at home at Anfield due to the similar levels of support. He mustn't have been to Anfield the last few years. Bar the odd game it's more akin to a graveyard than the Westfalenstadion.

Make no mistake if Klopp is coming it's for the money and the challenge and not the incredible support of the fans.

Agree with this. As a Liverpool supporter i was slightly embarrassed to hear some no mark on the radio yesterday commenting on the Klopp situation remarking that he'll feel at home at Anfield due to the similar levels of support. He mustn't have been to Anfield the last few years. Bar the odd game it's more akin to a graveyard than the Westfalenstadion.

But that's fixable. The passion and love of the team is there, the stadium will always be full for all sorts of fixtures, they just need a reason to get excited.
    I doubt there was an graveyard comparisons in the 13/14 run-in...

Kirby wrote: »
    This has been postulated before and the answer is "not a lot would change".

The money he has sunk into the club has been classified as a gift so in the event he walked away, he isnt legally entitled to any of it back. More over, Chelsea have moved from being reliant on him to a model of self sustainability which their accounts of the last few years will attest to. And they've done it without the sly "sponsorship" money that Etihad/City owners used. Their spending has slowed down even with the tv money while most clubs have increased theirs. That may point to their lacklustre recruitment in the summer and poor season so far. A stale squad.

It's a moot point anyway as he's been there long enough to prove he isnt a flash in the pan and is there for the long haul. If he was to sell, another foreign owner would pick up the club quickly. They have assets and a brand that they didnt have a decade ago.

But your missing my point

Yea I agree that its "a gift". I wont debate the legalities regarding this because if H&G thought they had a case against Liverpool for selling without their consent then anything can happen.

My point is if Roman wanted to leave Chelsea he would want his money back.................. I am not saying he will want to recall any gift (maybe he would try maybe he wouldnt). What I am saying is he would certainly be adding on that "gift" value to the price of the club. This would leave potential new owners owing money if they seen the United model as a good idea (which is my fear for us if we sell).

Chelsea have done well to become sustainable without Roman but their marginal profit last year was due to them not actually buying anyone the season before............... Chelsea are still reliant on Roman and their wage bill is what is crippling them. They are getting there and I dont dispute that but if Roman walked away in the morning they certainly wouldnt see no affect

BUT this aint a topic that we need to get into on a liverpool thread

I just think you are talking Dortmund down a little considering they have only missed out on the knockouts once in the last 5 years.

They are not household names here but in Germany Dortmund are a bid deal. They would be on par with Bayern in terms of domestic support

I was talking about when Klopp was in charge of Dortmund and they were having a lot of success and new fans were getting on board. Dortmund are a big name and have been for a long time, but when Klopp took over they were not one of the currently big clubs in Europe.

I understand where you're coming from about clubs with successful pasts being big in your eyes but current big clubs to me are the ones who for the recent past have been amongst the best in Europe. Dortmund definitely were not one of those teams when Klopp joined.

• Advertisement

Exactly.

The definition is so tight by some there's only 4 or 5 big clubs in Europe which is ridiculous.

Dortmund are a big club, recognisable Europe wide, same as Liverpool, Inter, Benfica, clubs like that. They'll go through lean times, but that would still be Europa Cup football and finishing high enough in their leagues.

There'd be a few ways of looking at it for me, City, PSG, Chelsea, clubs like us above, regular CL teams like Arsenal and then the huge teams.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I most certainly was not talking about the actual Dortmund fanbase when indicating a distaste for the swell of support that surrounded them for a ~2 year period. They are rightly known for their loyalty and fanaticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

So my sources are telling me

My sources from beyond the grave are telling me....

Klopp will be a raving success at Liverpool, and will be in our top 5 Managers of all time.

Dat ist good ya..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I would say Liverpool are about this big (holds hands apart as wide as they go)Mae are Utd, Munich et al, Dortmund a big club too but not quite as big(hands held apart maybe a hands width smaller), along with Athletico and the likes and then you have the new money clubs, those brash vulgar upstarts and they are really only this big (shiws distance between thumb and index finger). Then there your Spurs, Aresnals and Evertons further down again.

That's a fairly scientific, quantitative approach with the principles of positivism and empiricism at its core.
    Really can't see how one can dispute or refute that.

Now the difference between top top and toppity top top is more difficult to quantify hi all I know for sure is one shouldn't run from the knees or from a standing start.

I most certainly was not talking about the actual Dortmund fanbase when indicating a distaste for the swell of support that surrounded them for a ~2 year period. They are rightly known for their loyalty and fanaticism.
    Ok fair enough. Not sure why u would detest there fairweather fans in particular though. It happens with teams who are underdogs though like Atletico in 2014. Do u dislike Ireland's fariweather support in Rugby or when we get to a major finals like Euro 2012?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Dickerty wrote: »
    But that's fixable. The passion and love of the team is there, the stadium will always be full for all sorts of fixtures, they just need a reason to get excited.
    I doubt there was an graveyard comparisons in the 13/14 run-in...

The Dortmund fans sang about and supported Klopp right through the hard times, that's proper support. Anyone can support a team when they are winning as we did in the 13/14 run in. Anfield suffers from the same problem all the big teams suffer from and that's a lack of atmosphere and willingness to get behind the team when the chips are down,

Anyway I'm going to be very happy if he does end up with us because I think his passion for the game will be infectious and lift the whole club along with his obvious talents as a manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

you were talking about non-Dortmunders who thought they were cool when they got broadband and could list names of cool sounding players and say how good or bad they were because it was a foreign league.

Some of them even named their online personas after those players.

Still do in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Shots fired!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/651514285072498688

Christian Benteke is a player whom Klopp considered signing for Borussia Dortmund in the summer of 2013, #lfc (Dom King)

I'd say he doesn't mind having Sahko and Firmino on the books either.

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I would say Liverpool are about this big (holds hands apart as wide as they go)Mae are Utd, Munich et al, Dortmund a big club too but not quite as big(hands held apart maybe a hands width smaller), along with Athletico and the likes and then you have the new money clubs, those brash vulgar upstarts and they are really only this big (shiws distance between thumb and index finger). Then there your Spurs, Aresnals and Evertons further down again.

That's a fairly scientific, quantitative approach with the principles of positivism and empiricism at its core.
    Really can't see how one can dispute or refute that.

Now the difference between top top and toppity top top is more difficult to quantify hi all I know for sure is one shouldn't run from the knees or from a standing start.

How's the hand anyway?

The painkillers are obviously good.

you were talking about non-Dortmunders who thought they were cool when they got broadband and could list names of cool sounding players and say how good or bad they were because it was a foreign league.

Still do in fact.

Assuming you're talking about Nuri/Ade, to be fair to him, he was quite evidently watching Dortmund, and extremely well informed with regards to them, prior to 2010.

A lot of people here hadn't even heard of Klopp at that stage.

I imagine there is a bunch of posts from the past that you could dig up of him referencing some of their players, their style, or Klopp himself, long before the mainstream media and so on jumped on the bandwagon over in these parts.

Also, a little much to be taking shots at "non-Dortmunders", when you consider you're posting in an Irish forum primarily set up to discuss English teams. Should our support of Liverpool, United, etc be diminished because we aren't Scousers of Mancs?

Still do in fact.
    cowardly & untrue post talking about a member who can't defend themselves.

Irish fans who follow PL clubs looking down on Irish fans of other foreign leagues.

Football sure does bring it out in people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Knex. wrote: »
    Assuming you're talking about Nuri/Ade, to be fair to him, he was quite evidently watching Dortmund, and extremely well informed with regards to them, prior to 2010.

A lot of people here hadn't even heard of Klopp at that stage.

I imagine there is a bunch of posts from the past that you could dig up of him referencing some of their players, their style, or Klopp himself, long before the mainstream media and so on jumped on the bandwagon over in these parts.

Also, a little much to be taking shots at "non-Dortmunders", when you consider you're posting in an Irish forum primarily set up to discuss English teams. Should our support of Liverpool, United, etc be diminished because we aren't Scousers of Mancs?

I would be one of the people that only heard of Klopp circa 2010, I've always really liked his attitude and passion for the game.

Vicxas wrote: »
    I would be one of the people that only heard of Klopp circa 2010, I've always really liked his attitude and passion for the game.

Same, tbh.

I only watched the Bundesliga with any semblance or regularity between 2011 and 2013.

Haven't had the time since, didn't really have the interest or the means to watch it prior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The hipsters all moved onto Atletico Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

brevity wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/651514285072498688

Christian Benteke is a player whom Klopp considered signing for Borussia Dortmund in the summer of 2013, #lfc (Dom King)

I'd say he doesn't mind having Sahko and Firmino on the books either.

Jaysus he is an ITK in football as well as boxing?

Dom King writes for the Mail and is a Liverpool local.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Vicxas wrote: »

I'll put my ace of hearts on that..

I went to school with him:D

Ok fair enough. Not sure why u would detest there fairweather fans in particular though. It happens with teams who are underdogs though like Atletico in 2014. Do u dislike Ireland's fariweather support in Rugby or when we get to a major finals like Euro 2012?

I think the Irish example is different. Those people are latent fans of Ireland and will always be there anytime a team of Irishmen get on the big stage (or any Irish athlete really). I think bc nails what I was referencing below:

Still do in fact.

That's what annoyed me, yes.

And I still take umbrage to the surprise people express when Athletico / Dortmund / Juventus rock up to a European Cup Final. These are huge clubs that are only ever the right manager and a clump of excellent signings in a condensed period away from scaling the mountain top. I consider us to be in the same bracket also by the way.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement