Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Our squad is as good as it has been in a hell of a long time, tbh.

Yeah, I'd happily trade a few players for Suarez, or even for Gerrard of four years ago, but you can't negate time and Suarez was always going to go to Barca or Real.

I think Klopp will be quite happy with the players he has to work with, tbh. We need another CM or two, but aside from that, we're not bad.

Also, I can still barely believe we are getting Jurgen Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Emmmm trying to bite my lip here, but no, no he didn't.

He spent nearly £300m and left the club in at best the same position it was in when he took over.

I'd argue it's a worse position when you factor in the lack of any world class talents in the team

It's quite simple, if he'd done a good job, he wouldn't have just been sacked.

The club averaged 69 points a season under Rodgers and average position was 5th.

In the 3 previous seasons club averaged 58 points and average position was 7th.

He had a win % of 52%, same as Gerard Houllier. Didn't work out in the end, but he is by no means a bad manager (see Roy Hodgson 42%), and overall his appointment was a worthwhile one in my opinion.

I think we are in a better position now than we were when he took over. We have a lot of exciting players, though I'd agree we are lacking a world class talent.

In his 3 years he brought us closer to a league title than any Liverpool manager could in a quarter of a century. He deserves respect for that alone.

Anyway, it's over and the whole fanbase is now behind Klopp and there are hopefully exciting times ahead.

Anyway, here's my last post about Rodgers for a while. Tomorrow onwards, its all Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

The club averaged 69 points a season under Rodgers and average position was 5th.

In the 3 previous seasons club averaged 58 points and average position was 7th.

He had a win % of 52%, same as Gerard Houllier. Didn't work out in the end, but he is by no means a bad manager (see Roy Hodgson 42%), and overall his appointment was a worthwhile one in my opinion.

I think we are in a better position now than we were when he took over. We have a lot of exciting players, though I'd agree we are lacking a world class talent.

In his 3 years he brought us closer to a league title than any Liverpool manager could in a quarter of a century. He deserves respect for that alone.

Anyway, it's over and the whole fanbase is now behind Klopp and there are hopefully exciting times ahead.

So if you had a choice of Klopp inheriting the squad he will be, or the squad Rodgers inherited, which would you pick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

So if you had a choice of Klopp inheriting the squad he will be, or the squad Rodgers inherited, which would you pick?

We've never really had a squad per se ... until we sold Suarez and made CL football cos we needed it. We have better strength in depth and funnily enough when Klopp does find his best players to play his style of football and to play FOR him we'll all be like "Oh, i cannot believe i didn't see him as a great player before" etc ...

He's got a decent panel to choose from. I love it when a manager must make something of another mans team, you get to really see what he is made of.

The expectation is the only thing that will crush him ... like, if we do not hit the ground running and he crashes and burns like ... god forbid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

rob316 wrote: »
    I don't know if I said it already but I'm so excited. We never sign high profile players so this is new territory signing a world class manager, the level of expectation I have is crazy. I definitely need to calm down. My wife is sick of me talking about Klopp the past few days.

AMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Suarez you remember him right???????????????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Let's Be Klopps

Maniac Klopp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Top of the Klopps

We've never really had a squad per se ... until we sold Suarez and made CL football cos we needed it. We have better strength in depth and funnily enough when Klopp does find his best players to play his style of football and to play FOR him we'll all be like "Oh, i cannot believe i didn't see him as a great player before" etc ...

He's got a decent panel to choose from. I love it when a manager must make something of another mans team, you get to really see what he is made of.

The expectation is the only thing that will crush him ... like, if we do not hit the ground running and he crashes and burns like ... god forbid.

I know it wasn't directed at you, but if responding to my question surely you should answer it?

I suspect you're not answering because you'd prefer Klopp to inherit the squad Rodgers did as opposed to the one Rodgers has left

I really would be shocked if anyone could argue other than that. In which case no one can possibly say we're left in a better position than when Rodgers found us

2 Girls 1 Klopp

I would dearly love to have Suarez, but would much prefer our current squad.

If Klopp inherited an attack of Suarez, Carroll, Maxi, Bellamy, Cole and Downing, he would have to replace all but one of them in the short to medium term.

Whereas I think there is a lot more to work with in Sturridge, Benteke, Ings, Firmino, Origi, Coutinho ...

Kloppeye

I would dearly love to have Suarez, but would much prefer our current squad.

If Klopp inherited an attack of Suarez, Carroll, Maxi, Bellamy, Cole and Downing, he would have to replace all but one of them in the short to medium term.

Whereas I think there is a lot more to work with in Sturridge, Benteke, Ings, Firmino, Origi, Coutinho ...

You left out Sterling from your initial list.

I'm flabbagasted you'd pick the current squad citing players like Ings, Firminho, Origi, who've contributed pretty much nothing. Other than age, there's no advantage to that group of players IMO.

Give me a squad with Gerrard, Carragher, Suarez, Reina, Sterling and Agger any day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I see were linked with bernd Leno tonight. Klopp musnt rate mignolet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ricero wrote: »
    I see were linked with bernd Leno tonight. Klopp musnt rate mignolet

Every last man jack of the Bundesliga is going to be name checked from now till January 31st

I'm flabbagasted you'd pick the current squad citing players like Ings, Firminho, Origi, who've contributed pretty much nothing. Other than age, there's no advantage to that group of players IMO.

Give me a squad with Gerrard, Carragher, Suarez, Reina, Sterling and Agger any day of the week.

4 of those were past past their best and one was 17.

Coutinho, Sturridge and Henderson are 3 proven players for us not yet in their prime. More valuable to a new manager than any of the above bar Suarez.

Knex. wrote: »
    Anyway, here's my last post about Rodgers for a while. Tomorrow onwards, its all Klopp.

Love the commentary in the first Tottenham game:

Suarez not attuned to the game

2 seconds later

Now he is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Not sure if this has been posted. An article on Mike Edwards and his position at Liverpool. £300,000 a year. Spend £30 and get Football Manager 2015 and it would probably get you better results in the transfer market. And you could pay a few scouts to you know scout instead of being tied to a PC all day.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3262490/Liverpool-s-head-technical-performance-Michael-Edwards-laptop-guru-did-number-Brendan-Rodgers.html?login

Like this quote:
    Edwards and his team of analysts have invented a new language for football. Strikers are all about goal expectancy, chances created and the percentage of successful passes in the final third. Old-school managers just want to know if the boy can put the ball in the net.

• Advertisement

Man, 13/14 was great craic. The most I've ever enjoyed football, probably, despite the fact it ended trophyless. We'll probably never witness anything quite like that again. Even the narrative of Gerrad making that one last push for the league winners medal added to it all.

Very much looking forward to seeing this new chapter under the absolute character that is Jurgen Klopp.

Also linked to Cologne's goalkeeper Timo Horn.

Ings has been very good Sturridge getting back to fitness benteke should be well. I would not be in any way harsh with Firminho yet with the amount of time he has played. I am not sure with Origi but I am willing to give him the time. Of course I would love Carragher, Gerrard (except last year) Reina (except his last year) but they are gone if Klopp can get our defence working well which will minimise Minoglet. Then I think he has a good squad to play with until January if he wants to buy and next summer which is when we should look at who he wants to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Cliff notes on wtf is up with boards the last few days? Load of gash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

klopp Gun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

I know it wasn't directed at you, but if responding to my question surely you should answer it?

I suspect you're not answering because you'd prefer Klopp to inherit the squad Rodgers did as opposed to the one Rodgers has left

I really would be shocked if anyone could argue other than that. In which case no one can possibly say we're left in a better position than when Rodgers found us

We've not had a squad of depth in many a year ... like we have this year. 2 players for every position. So relaying the question about which SQUAD, i'd rather the one we have now.

Obviously regarding the quality of player in said squad - then it's pretty obvious that we'd all love a Suarez (Barring that it wasn;t a world class Suarez at the time, but building towards it) and Gerard/Carragher of course.

but as Rafa proved, even with Stevie and Torres at the peak of their powers, Masch and Alonso in behind, we were still unable to compete on all fronts competently as we had no bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

You really talking about Rodgers in the same breath as Shankly, Paisely & Dalglish? :confused:

In terms of title challenges? Yeah, i am. Why,did you not enjoy 2014?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Klopp spotted test driving new Audi's in Liverpool. RS6 seems to be his choice -an exemplary one imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Man, 13/14 was great craic. The most I've ever enjoyed football, probably, despite the fact it ended trophyless. We'll probably never witness anything quite like that again. Even the narrative of Gerrad making that one last push for the league winners medal added to it all.

Very much looking forward to seeing this new chapter under the absolute character that is Jurgen Klopp.

Seen that video there it was virtually impossible to continue with the same form next season.
    Suarez gone, Sturridge out for the season and Sterling was unsettled from the get go.

You can say Rodgers got lucky he had those 3 players but he made it work to devastating effect. To just recognise Suarez is an injustice to Henderson, Coutinho, Skrtel and Flanagan and their efforts.

18 months of solid progression Rodgers achieved before he lost his way. I will remember him very fondly for 13/14, he made us genuinely believe we were going to clinch the title more than any other manager we had in 25 years. That winning run was phenomenal we looked unstoppable.

Klopp's style is very similar to 13/14 I'm praying he can get us playing like that again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

You really talking about Rodgers in the same breath as Shankly, Paisely & Dalglish? :confused:

I'm sure you know exactly the point he was making.

Having some top class players is just step one to competing for the title. You then need to set everything up to wring every drop out of that talent, and everyone around them.

The way you talk about it, you'd swear that City didn't have Silva, Yaya Toure, Kompany and Aguero etc, that Chelsea didn't have Hazard, Oscar, Matic, Terry etc, that Utd didn't have De Gea, Mata, Vidic, Rooney, Van Persie etc.

All our competitors had undeniably better squads and first 11's. Having one player better than theirs doesn't give you a title challenge - it takes all your assets being utilized in the best way possible.

I think it's especially telling that we had a consistent improvement from when he joined until the end of season 2 - that comes down to working on finding the best ways for your players to compliment each other.

it's just blind ignorance to look at the passing and movement of our players and not recognize the work of the manager - Henderson, Coutinho, Sturridge, Suarez, Sterling - their interplay didn't come from one guy being really good, it came from a ****load of work on the training ground. One guy doesn't pass his way through a team, cutting them open. A team working in unison does.

Rodgers built the perfect machine with the parts available at the time, and yeah, when the biggest cog left, he couldn't make the machine work anymore. But that doesn't remove the credit he should get for making that first machine.

You've always been ludicrously harsh on him, and frankly I don't understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Rogers faced the sack after spectacular Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

rob316 wrote: »
    18 months of solid progression Rodgers achieved before he lost his way. I will remember him very fondly for 13/14, he made us genuinely believe we were going to clinch the title more than any other manager we had in 25 years. That winning run was phenomenal we looked unstoppable.
    People were caught up in the euphoria and it wasn't just Liverpool fans - I attended the funeral of a friend's father at the end of March of that year and found it a bit surreal that there were old head Man Utd supporters talking about how Liverpool were going to win the league title as though it was a certainty.

Not sure if this has been posted. An article on Mike Edwards and his position at Liverpool. £300,000 a year. Spend £30 and get Football Manager 2015 and it would probably get you better results in the transfer market. And you could pay a few scouts to you know scout instead of being tied to a PC all day.
    That looks like it had been filed away since last year when Rodgers was briefing members of the press against the transfer committee. Neil Ashton is more than likely playing it now in an effort to try to gain access to the inner circle when Rodgers takes up his next job.

Yours Faithfully
    Joe Allen
    Tipsy you barsteward! I just spat coffee all over my laptop. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Lads you're all mad. There is NO WAY Klopp will take the job why would he, Liverpool are just a small club...

but just in case he does i've it on good word from a mate in Manchester that he's rubbish anyway and the two league titles were in the Bundesliga, no good teams even in that. Sure its basically like winning the league with Celtic.

Yeah, my United mate wanted him as their manager last year but apparently he's crap now. Our level of manager now.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

MD1990 wrote: »
    Rodgers done a good job overall. 13/14 was an incredible season that I will never forget & Rodgers deserves great credit for that season. I still believe he is a good coach & I think he will go on to have a good career. He also came acoss as a good man despite your constant personal abuse of him which dragged down this thead for years.

Elaborate on "good career"? Do you see him ever having another run at a major title for example?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Do you remember the squad in 2012? Kenny left behind a pathetic, aging, horrible squad plus Suarez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Klopp of the morning,lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Klopp to the Kop, Klopp.

#In the style of Style Council

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

mosstin wrote: »
    Why do people....
    • argue with Mr. Alan?
    • argue with the really annoying pro-Rodgers guy?
    • argue with the equally annoying anti-Rodgers guy?
    • tell us about what they had for breakfast?
    • moan about the fact that the forum ain't what it used to be?
    • moan about the people who moan about the fact that the forum ain't what it used to be?
    • make so many UFC references?
    • search people's history of posts just to prove someone wrong?
    • never use Google to find out what fucking channel we're on?
    • never allow for the fact that, occasioanlly, we all change our minds/opinions on things/players?
    • fools fall in love?
    Why?

I agree with everything except for the breakfast.

It is the most important meal of the day and worthwhile knowing what others have to see if I can make improvements on my own selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

CQxnJ2YWUAAVE-Y.jpg:large

Could be a last minute hitch yet...

If we **** it up because of this there'll be anarchy...and rightly so.

EDIT:Translation is "Klopp signs today...if he can bear these two"

I'm sure Gary Mac and Sean will move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ah here

That better be just a paper selling tactic...

• Advertisement

That's from the Bild, which is like the mail or the mirror here.

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/juergen-klopp/der-neue-trainer-vom-fc-liverpool-42928930.bild.html

FSG apparently want him to keep on O'Driscoll and Gary Mc.

Article also says that he's on 10m a year, was a Liverpool fan as a kid, and rejected the Spurs job.

Sounds spoofy.

That's from the Bild, which is like the mail or the mirror here.

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/juergen-klopp/der-neue-trainer-vom-fc-liverpool-42928930.bild.html

FSG apparently want him to keep on O'Driscoll and Gary Mc.

Article also says that he's on 10m a year, was a Liverpool fan as a kid, and rejected the Spurs job.

Sounds spoofy.

The general consensus was that Gary Mac and Sean were to move on, and Klopp bring in his own people (which would make sense).

The only thing i can think of is the reluctance to pay off both of them.

If FSG fcuk this up, I will really lose all faith in the clubs owners.

Image is too large.

http://i.imgur.com/3zUxnm9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Merry Kloppmas everyone!

All I want from Santa Kloaus is for this website to stop ****ting its pants.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I was listening to German radio (Radio Eins)this morning and it was saying something about Klopp and the airport and Liverpool.
    If only my German was a bit better I'd have the full picture. I was asking my son to translate for me as he's fluent, but the git was too busy eating his porridge to pay me any attention.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement