Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

corwill wrote: »
    Jaysis. The usual two will be pulling each others' pigtails on here shortly.

Was it just one of then let that slip, or did it seem to be known by some or all of them on an off the record basis?

One let it slip but it looked like they all knew when they started arguing about letting it slip that it was off the record.

Alyson Rudd basically said Rodgers was the king of the off the record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Anyone watching The Sunday Supplement they just let a few things out about what Rodgers said off the record.

Rodgers at the time didn't think Suarez was worth the £40m Arsenal offered.

They then had a fight about letting the public know Rodgers said this and other things off the record.

That is hard to believe and we've no quotes or context to go on.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

K-9 wrote: »
    Not much point attracting them when we won't/can't pay that much.

Klopp was very realistic about that, finance is after all the biggest factor for signings.

As mentioned here by harry I'd say they'll be maybe signing 2 or 3 players instead of 5 or 6, definite first team starter players rather than some of the buys the last few years. I'd say that means Klopp thinks there's a decent squad of players there, 3 or 4 upgrades and we'd be close to what's needed for a top 4 side battling on all fronts.

Its all early days on players that will be leaving but goalkeeper, first choice left back, CB and midfield would need to be addressed, assuming Enrique and Toure will be leaving soon. Whether Mig gets replaced or becomes a squad player, need a quality LB long term as well as a CB to replace Toure, and that's before any decision on Lovren and an upgrade/replacement for Lucas long term.

Ilori needs to be coming back to get games next season, Flanagan can be a utility LB/RB and Gomez maybe on loan after new signings.

That would give good competition/choices at the back, Mig/new singing, Moreno/new signing, Sakho, Skrtel, new signing, Ilori, Lovren/Gomez and Clyne/Flanagan RB. Maybe a more attacking RB needed but a general stab at it.

Wonder how Milner will fare out not being Rodgers first choice now. He goes back to City utility player for me now which is no mark against him and could prove very useful. I think he'll do fine as Klopp will love his energy and work ethic, maybe attacking RM is the more obvious place for him and then a midfield utility player.

Lucas as our best holding midfielder will have a squad place I think, he was one of our best players against Everton and showed why he's not just a DM. Upgradeable long term though. Henderson, Can, upgrade on Lucas and Milner is probably enough there.

Up front depends on how Benteke fits in. Sturridge will be fine, stay reasonably fit and it's impossible to ditch a finisher of his class and calmness. I think Markovic could definitely find a place in the squad.Hard to know with Lalana but he played in a high pressing team at Southampton so it shouldn't be alien to him.

TLDR; I don't think the squad is as bad as made out. 3 or 4 quality signings would make a big difference, but we've been saying that for 3 or 4 years now. Klopp will attract some players that mightn't have been real targets for us previously so hopefully less fcuk ups and less punts on potential like Alberto or Aspas. Use that money to buy 1 player at a higher level for the same money.
    Isn't there an option to buy on Iloris loan to villa?

If there is, villa would be mad not to buy him. I saw one or two of his U21 games last summer and he was impressive. I would like to see him come back and replace Skrtel who would replace Toure, upgrades all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

That is hard to believe and we've no quotes or context to go on.

Who cares now to be honest...

If there is, villa would be mad not to buy him. I saw one or two of his U21 games last summer and he was impressive. I would like to see him come back and replace Skrtel who would replace Toure, upgrades all round.

It will be up to us to sell though. Funny him and Markovic loaned and how the loan system worked. Did the committee have say so? Or was it a joint decision?

I can see the merit in Ilori with 4 CB's ahead of him, less so Markovic.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Anyone watching The Sunday Supplement they just let a few things out about what Rodgers said off the record.

They then had a fight about letting the public know Rodgers said this and other things off the record.

Lies all lies.. nobody and i mean nobody thought suarez was worth 40 million or less.

He's gone let it rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Operation Trash "Bodgers" is underway! The idea that anyone would think Suarez was not worth 40m is just crazy unless he thought it was due to his bitey habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Operation Trash "Bodgers" is underway! The idea that anyone would think Suarez was not worth 40m is just crazy unless he thought it was due to his bitey habit.

The idea that someone would think Lovren is a better defender than Sakho is completely mental but you know . . . .

Ilori should replace our CB based on one maybe two under 21 games. I like the look of the kid but that is nonsense.

For every decent epl centre half there are two dozen guys impressing at under 21 level.

Big difference between epl/senior football and the rest

• Advertisement

Also the idea that 'operation trash Rodgers' has begun I find incredibly funny. He has enjoyed the easiest ride ever of an outgoing manager. Compare it to what AVB or Rafa enjoyed towards the end and exit of their tenure. Someone of the vitriolic pieces about Rafa that got published are hard to believe when you read them back now. Rodgers is getting a cakewalk in comparison and I wouldn't say it is for the lack of a story or skeleton in his closet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The idea that someone would think Lovren is a better defender than Sakho is completely mental but you know . . . .

That's a judgement about a players ability/style not value in the marketplace.

Didn't sahko fall over himself ala lovern. If it was vs Everton it was the game before.

Lovern got a chance and we stuck with him, probably 2 games too long.

The problem with all our CBs is that none of them are pulling up tress.

To pretend that guys started games when Franco Baresi is sitting on the bench is pure and utter nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

garra wrote: »
    Everyone keeps banging on about Can being the business but I have seen little to confirm this myself. Poor in possession and liable to lose concentration any moment, every time I,'ve watched him. Good character and the odd swashbuckling run is not enough for me.

Perhaps Porto will take back markovic in part payment for Neves. He was developing nicely there.

Above sentence sums up Gerrard for most of his career as well you know ;)

That's a judgement about a players ability/style not value in the marketplace.

You think Rodgers knew value in the market place? Do you want to go through the signings we know he pushed heavily. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Any players that are available have been called into Melwood for training apparently. Klopp wasting no time.

• Advertisement

This is an excellent piece by Andy Heaton.

JÜRGEN KLOPP AND A FRACTURED FANBASE

Time to embrace the madness. Together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

You think Rodgers knew value in the market place? Do you want to go through the signings we know he pushed heavily. :D

But this makes the claim even more absurd. If Rodgers is happy enough to pay 24 odd million for Dejan Lovern, there's not a hope he thought Luis Suarez wasn't worth as much as 40 million, especially when you see Bale go for 80m. Rodgers isn't some gormless idiot.

As has been said already, we don't know what context the claim was made. Maybe he thought nobody, not even Suarez, should be worth that much money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I dunno about this Klopp chap lads, we haven't won a game since he's came in.

monkey9 wrote: »
    But this makes the claim even more absurd. If Rodgers is happy enough to pay 24 odd million for Dejan Lovern, there's not a hope he thought Luis Suarez wasn't worth as much as 40 million, especially when you see Bale go for 80m. Rodgers isn't some gormless idiot.

As has been said already, we don't know what context the claim was made. Maybe he thought nobody, not even Suarez, should be worth that much money.

I'm not sure how paying 24m for Lovren means anything towards what he thought Suarez was worth. He didn't obviously think Sakho was worth 18m. He tried to shove Henderson out in a deal to sign Dempsey. His concept of players values isn't something that seems based on any tangible ideas. If you were to look at Rodgers transfer record in detail, I am just talking about transfers and the deals he did and didn't want to do, I would say you would find a very good argument to describe him as a gormless idiot in the transfer market.

It feels stupid to be raking over all this given we have our dream appointment and everyone is buzzing. As a previous poster said, who really cares now? I am fully on board with the sentiment expressed in the Heaton article above. Lets move forward together and embrace the coming madness, start looking forward with hope and leave the past where it belongs. (Ahh, isn't that beautiful :p)

brevity wrote: »
    Any players that are available have been called into Melwood for training apparently. Klopp wasting no time.

Klopp left Anfield later on Friday to head straight to Melwood, Liverpool’s training ground, for the first time. His plan was to study 17 first-team matches over the weekend, on DVD, plus take in as many academy and under-age games as he could before calling his first training session on Monday, which will include senior first-team players Daniel Sturridge, Lucas Leiva, Alberto Moreno and Philippe Coutinho, who are not on international duty. It is straight down to work before the first match at Tottenham next Saturday. Hard work.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11924301/Jurgen-Klopp-asks-for-patience-to-be-successful-at-Liverpool.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Theres a post over in the politics thread

Russian boots on the ground in Syria. Another Afghanistan?

Could not help thinking,

Klopp boots on the ground in Anfield. Another Istanbul? :):):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Under Rodgers our pressing game was phased out, and I can imagine the players had an input into that decision. Under Klopp it won't be a request or an option, Benteke will press. If he can run towards the goal with the ball at his feet to try and score then he can run towards a player who has the ball.
    There is no excuse for any player to say '' I can't do that, I can't press. My legs fail to function without the possibility of some glory at then end of it for me''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

fair to say brendan wont be talking to journalists or sunday supplement anytime soon, you'd think he was after retiring or something,long career ahead ..silly move by sunday sup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I dunno about this Klopp chap lads, we haven't won a game since he's came in.

Give it time, he'll come god good..

not yet wrote: »
    Give it time, he'll come god good..

It's you isn't it...the guy who makes those images with Rodgers / shankly / paisley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

fair to say brendan wont be talking to journalists or sunday supplement anytime soon, you'd think he was after retiring or something,long career ahead ..silly move by sunday sup

Sure that's just the sun of tv dunno why anyone watches it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

T-K-O wrote: »
    Ilori should replace our CB based on one maybe two under 21 games. I like the look of the kid but that is nonsense.

For every decent epl centre half there are two dozen guys impressing at under 21 level.

Jaysus, I never said he should be starting straight away, just that he deserved a chance in cup/EL games where there is strong rotation used by us. A player with acknowledged potential being loaned with an option to buy for a relatively low sum when we don't have a whole load of class ahead of him in the playing roster seems premature to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,653 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I never heard of that programme , when ( giessing sun morn) snd what channel ?

Jaysus, I never said he should be starting straight away, just that he deserved a chance in cup/EL games where there is strong rotation used by us. A player with acknowledged potential being loaned with an option to buy for a relatively low sum when we don't have a whole load of class ahead of him in the playing roster seems premature to me.

Personally , I'd play stronger teams in all cups but I see where you're coming from. We have too many CBs, we should have loaned him in the summer or let Kolo off and promote ilori

cjmc wrote: »
    I never heard of that programme , when ( giessing sun morn) snd what channel ?

Sky, journos sit around the breakfast table and pretend to be naom chomskey for an hour

• Advertisement

+1
    Make more sense than selling to villa without giving him a chance
    If he is sh1t in competitive game by all mesns bite the hand of villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The who cares applies to both views. Who ****ing knows and who ****ing cares.

He is gone now and appears to have been replaced by someone more capable so let't all move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Also the idea that 'operation trash Rodgers' has begun I find incredibly funny. He has enjoyed the easiest ride ever of an outgoing manager. Compare it to what AVB or Rafa enjoyed towards the end and exit of their tenure. Someone of the vitriolic pieces about Rafa that got published are hard to believe when you read them back now. Rodgers is getting a cakewalk in comparison and I wouldn't say it is for the lack of a story or skeleton in his closet.

That's why he said it has "begun". Who knows how it'll play out in the next few weeks. Today might just be the beginning...he might be torn apart in the coming days and weeks.

Also...Why the **** does Rafa have to be brought into every single bloody conversation on here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Sky, journos sit around the breakfast table and pretend to be naom chomskey for an hour

It's painful ****e, from the sort of luminaries you'd expect to write for tabloid sports sections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

His sons know everything about Liverpool.
    . My two sons, who are crazy about football, they are happy. They watched a game here when Nuri Sahin played [for Liverpool, on loan from Dortmund] against Manchester United [September 2012]. They know everything about Liverpool. It is a good feeling for me.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11924301/Jurgen-Klopp-asks-for-patience-to-be-successful-at-Liverpool.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Quiet in here today....bed for an hour or two,methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I dunno about love this Klopp chap lads, we haven't won lost a game since he's came in.

fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Klopp 'top 10 celebrations' :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

It's you isn't it...the guy who makes those images with Rodgers / shankly / paisley

No that's me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Rodgers and Martinez are on BT1 now doing an interview, I'd say it was shot in the build up to the Derby.

This will not interest many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Delighted with the Klopp appointment, right manager at the right time.
    His name and reputation i think will help us attract a higher level player and also hang onto the likes of Coutinho who i feared would be off either in January or next summer.

IMO the main concern right now is in the midfield/DM position, Hendo the only one nailed on for a place every week, although we have hard working grafters in Milner Lucas, Allen etc we need some one to pull the strings as in a prime Gerrard/Alonso, there are'nt too many of them knocking about but as a priority we need to find one.
    The defence while not being great has potential at least, new LB, CB, GK in that order of priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Klopp 5 goals! #1 is a beaut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Started playing as a striker in 89 and switched to a centre back in 95, as you do.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Klopp 5 goals! #1 is a beaut

I think set plays wll become , well , better

With Toure probably gone in the Summer a loan deal makes sense, assuming he gets PL game time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

With Toure probably gone in the Summer a loan deal makes sense, assuming he gets PL game time.

It might've if they hadn't thrown in an option to buy.

Hopefully 2 things happen - he's good and he rejects Villa's offer because he believes in what Klopp is doing here and that he'll get a chance.

Having the fastest CB in the world would be well handy for a high aggression style of pressing from the front.

A lot didn't know and didn't want to know what was going on behind the scenes with Rafa, hence the OTT criticism. I don't think anybody thought it would go as bad as it did but signs were there, some ignored that.

Gbear wrote: »
    It might've if they hadn't thrown in an option to buy.

Hopefully 2 things happen - he's good and he rejects Villa's offer because he believes in what Klopp is doing here and that he'll get a chance.

Having the fastest CB in the world would be well handy for a high aggression style of pressing from the front.

But do we have to sell? Depends on the contract I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

But do we have to sell? Depends on the contract I suppose.

Yeah, I believe the terms are all set based on his numbers of appearances. If they pay the triggering fee, they meet the sale contract thats already been agreed. Then its up to the player from there.

Much moreso than before though, if he's someone Klopp fancies, you would think we could get him to turn down whatever contract Villa offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Klopp hanging out with the locals and having a beer!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-34499859

I have that line from the Simpsons in my head now: "I have to tell you…your beer is like *swill* to us."

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement