Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Grayditch wrote: »
    There are so many faults with Rodgers' game to argue right now that bringing something like this up is just pointless and nobody's business, really.

I would have thought the smiley indicated humour. My apologies. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

jaykay74 wrote: »
    The counter argument to a personal endorsement would be to look at the stats. After 7 or so years as a manager his only honour is the championship playoff trophy 2010/11
    Didn't say I believed it myself - simply confirming he's spoken highly of Rodgers previously. He should be damn glad He got to work with Rafa & Ged or he'd have fúck all won

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I have been a Rodgers fan/cheerleader/apologist from day one. As I am for almost all Liverpool managers, I always believe they should be given a proper chance (Hodgson aside) but... his time is up. I felt his strongest attribute was the ability to lead and motivate players with his 'manager speak', but the only people that seems to work on now are the owners. The players and fans seem to be immune to it now and I feel there's very little chance of Rodgers turning it around.

We are so lacklustre, the snappy passing is gone, our midfield and striker are miles apart, the defence is nervous, Mignolet is bordering on Calamity James stuff. It's just not fun to be a Liverpool supporter these days. Football is my escape from work and kids and it's a ****ing chore now :pac::pac:

Even when results were mixed in his first season, you could see the footballing 'identity' trying to break through. We overpaid for signings, but they had a purpose. Even in defeat, a lot of the time we could say we played the better stuff or had a real go. We just look lost as a team and a club out there now. The sooner Klopp comes in, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

I can't see Rodgers being let go...not for a long while.

I think most of us were very patient with him and he was given a lot more control over the summer it seems. However, it seems not to be working. I agree that he does not seem to have the dressing room or the tactical awareness of what exactly to do in different situations, we have all seen it clearly at the last couple of games. At least he had two strikers on at the same time yesterday...seems like he is getting more desperate. The spine of the team is the problem - they are not working well. This bedding-in-time is taking too long considering all the quality players we brought in. On paper, I think we have a pretty decent team but they are just not gelling together.

Someone said that they stopped watching after the second goal yesterday. Sad to say, it was the same here. I never do that but yesterday was hard to take especially when we were so toothless. We have been for quite a while now. Getting a bit worried that the likes of Can (everyone knows how much I like him), Firmino and Lucas are making silly mistakes and not imposing themselves more and more. Then again, half of the team seems to be playing out of position with no clear strategy. We really missed Hendo and Cout today. It was a chance for others to step up to the plate and they didn't.

I can't see anyway out now. Rodgers is in over his head here and the question is how long with the management give him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

A couple of guys I know who were unshakeable Rodgers fans came into the pub last night and told us they had lost faith in him. You can sometimes get closer to finding out the gravity of the situation when, outside of the internet, when certain pillars like that start falling. They weren't angry or hyped about the result, just numb and done with him.

Despite my feelings towards him lately, I have got some deal of respect for him. But he lost control of the wheel last season and this bag of ideas is even emptier this season. I don't think he'll be sacked anytime soon, though. I get the feeling FSG don't really know how bad this is getting or the best way to deal with it.

I think we're all on the same page, just a matter of sitting and waiting until common sense prevails, hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Re Firmino - ****ing hell, give him a chance. He's been brought into a team who finished the season miserably, been asked to play wide when it's not his ideal position but most of all been randomly thrown onto the pitch with 10 others with no semblance of a game plan.
    Rodgers has no idea how to use the personnel he was backed to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I guess another question is if Rodgers and Liverpool parted ways tomorrow where would Brendans next port of call be (in a situation where any job can be available) ? I would think the level of Villa or thereabouts maybe.

mav79 wrote: »
    Would you be happy to stick with Rodgers if a manager like Klopp or Ancelotti is not available, or would not join.

Stick with him until a legit option becomes available. If they sack him they might as well do it right.

I can't see Rodgers being let go...not for a long while.

I think most of us were very patient with him and he was given a lot more control over the summer it seems. However, it seems not to be working. I agree that he does not seem to have the dressing room or the tactical awareness of what exactly to do in different situations, we have all seen it clearly at the last couple of games. At least he had two strikers on at the same time yesterday...seems like he is getting more desperate. The spine of the team is the problem - they are not working well. This bedding-in-time is taking too long considering all the quality players we brought in. On paper, I think we have a pretty decent team but they are just not gelling together.

Someone said that they stopped watching after the second goal yesterday. Sad to say, it was the same here. I never do that but yesterday was hard to take especially when we were so toothless. We have been for quite a while now. Getting a bit worried that the likes of Can (everyone knows how much I like him), Firmino and Lucas are making silly mistakes and not imposing themselves more and more. Then again, half of the team seems to be playing out of position with no clear strategy. We really missed Hendo and Cout today. It was a chance for others to step up to the plate and they didn't.

I can't see anyway out now. Rodgers is in over his head here and the question is how long with the management give him?

He had two strikers on the pitch but Ings wasn't playing as a striker which pretty much nullified putting him on in the first place. And this kind of tactical idiocy is happening weekly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Mongo rodgers strikes again.

Do people actually think this man knows what he is doing?

• Advertisement

Nobody seems to be able to figure out Rodgers plans or tactics. Some things just defy logic, but he seems determined to prove everybody wrong, while we go into freefall.

As a side note, exaggerated contact now ok with United fans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Nobody seems to be able to figure out Rodgers plans or tactics. Some things just defy logic, but he seems determined to prove everybody wrong, while we go into freefall.

Yet all know there is zero chance of him being sacked

It looks like he has no idea either.

As a side note, exaggerated contact now ok with United fans!

If that was Suarez against them the reaction would be the same I bet.

Hopefully it's possible this season. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Stick with him until a legit option becomes available. If they sack him they might as well do it right.
    The problem is, the longer that they stick with Rodgers the lower the bar is being set.

My point is, Rodgers is not working so a change is needed, worrying about who is available is pointless because it is hard to see the team looking worse than they are atm. Just to make it clear I'm not advocating sacking Rodgers for Monk, I'm saying sitting on your hands is not going to improve the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

To add more pain, barca were on after the game. I miss you Luis :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

mav79 wrote:
    Rodgers being sacked would not be knee-jerk, he's had over three years now and the team looks disjointed and disinterested, some people are going on like the club are firing managers every year. At this point as much as I'd like to see Klopp, Ancelotti or Garcia manage the club I'd be fine with the likes of Monk managing. Sticking with Rodgers is not going to miraculously improve the team, a basic 4-4-2 formation with the players playing in their best positions would be good to see at the moment.

IMO This is the worst thing we can do now. Rodgers should never have been appointed in the first place and now we have wasted countless millions and 3 years because of this. If we sack Rodgers now then we have to get the next apointment right this time.

I see people saying that if we don't sack him now then this season will be a Write off, but it's only one season, if it takes a year to get the right guy this time then so be it, or if we can get Klopp straight away then that would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

We could do alot worse then sign wes houlihan in jan i reckon, a player with a bit if fight and heart and can play a bit too

mav79 wrote: »
    My point is, Rodgers is not working so a change is needed, worrying about who is available is pointless because it is hard to see the team looking worse than they are atm.

I think it would be foolish to sack him and then think "Now What?". Someone needs to be lined up in advance. Club should be talking to someone now who can steer the ship for the season like Benitez did at Chelsea a few years ago winning the Europa league. Safe pair of hands, not some roll of the dice.

• Advertisement

There are 33 PL games left, a Europa League, League cup, and FA cup. Why write off the season by doing nothing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Klopp won't go go Liverpool. Club isn't big enough. Best hope is Monk or Pardew

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I think it would be foolish to sack him and then think "Now What?". Someone needs to be lined up in advance. Club should be talking to someone now who can steer the ship for the season like Benitez did at Chelsea a few years ago winning the Europa league. Safe pair of hands, not some roll of the dice.
    I'm not saying sack him and then start looking for a manager, I'm saying sticking with him as manager because a top class manager is not available is pointless.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    We could do alot worse then sign wes houlihan in jan i reckon, a player with a bit if fight and heart and can play a bit too

Jesus, if Hoolahan is where we're at we might as well give it up now. Decent player but he's just a thinner Charlie Adam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Rodgers needs to go. Even for his own peace of mind. He looks bereft of ideas.
    When he came to Liverpool he spoke of death by football but then the amazing happened and Suarez hit his golden streak ( bans aside).
    So death by football was abandoned and it became goals for fun. It looked like every outfield player thought they could score and the shots came from everywhere.
    But after coming second to City and losing Suarez, Rodgers seemed to forget what to do with the team. He insists on having players out of position and the least said about Lovren the better.
    I honestly think the best thing for Rodgers to do would be admit defeat and take a break from management for a few months before rebooting with a "smaller" club and trying to rebuild his reputation.

Rodgers for all his talk of philosophy has never actually had a viable plan and lurched from playing style to playing style.

Oh and we've returned to Death by Football but the only thing that's dying is my enjoyment of the game

If this team had a bit of fight then we wouldn't be complaining so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

mosstin wrote: »
    Jesus, if Hoolahan is where we're at we might as well give it up now. Decent player but he's just a thinner Charlie Adam.

Bollox

Way more technical gifted player than Adam

s8n wrote: »
    Klopp won't go go Liverpool. Club isn't big enough. Best hope is Monk or Pardew

What does big enough mean, there?

Trilla wrote: »
    Bollox

Way more technical gifted player than Adam

You think we should sign Hoolahan then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

What does big enough mean, there?

Second tier stadium, never won a premiership. Their is history but then again forest have that and he ain't going there either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Hoolahan turns 35 near the end of next season. Not good enough and no way he'd get a contract at that age to play first team. He's at his level, let's move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Also Gary Monk is a good coach. Because he's not continental we'll scoff at the idea though. But I think he's excellent and should get a move to a bigger club before long

8-10 wrote: »
    Also Gary Monk is a good coach. Because he's not continental we'll scoff at the idea though. But I think he's excellent and should get a move to a bigger club before long

He will but I just hope that it isn't us. We've gone down the route of young, hungry manager and it hasn't worked. I think most folk want experience now. He has done an excellent job there but he needs a couple more years of sustaining that before any big clubs would trust him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Hoolihan?

Sure Rodgers would only play him as a center back for a while and then send him on loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I would say appointing the wrong manager again would be more pointless. If we say appointed Monk and things were not going great after this season ends, we will all be rightly saying he needs another season to implement his philosophy, then before we know it we could be wasting 2 maybe 3 years again and countless millions again. If we sack Rodgers we have to get the right man this time.

• Advertisement

s8n wrote: »
    Second tier stadium, never won a premiership. Their is history but then again forest have that and he ain't going there either

Right, that mad version of "you're not a big club", cool.

Isn't that how Rodgers came to be manager though although at a lower level of achievement than Monk admittedly.

I think Ancelotti would be tempted by a short term role for a barrel of cash. No point in splashing quarter of a billion on players and skimping on the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Firmino - how do people feel about him? I'm still far far far from convinced

He isn't being played in a position that brings out the best in him. I believe at Hoffenheim he played as a second striker, and a number of people on Twitter (guys who aren't numpties) that focus on Brazilian players are saying similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

No more up and coming managers. We need a winner to guide us back to the top. I thank brendan for 13/14 it was thrilling but it's been downhill since then. I won't be resorting to calling him names as he doesn't deserve that but I hope someone at the club's sees the writing on the wall and makes a decision.
    There's a very good squad here it just needs some fresh ideas and motivation. Ancelotti would be the dream manager but Klopp would be an excellent appointment aswell, I still think either are attainable if the ambition is there from FSG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Charlie Adam has eaten burgers the size of Wes Hoolahan.

• Advertisement

brevity wrote: »
    He isn't being played in a position that brings out the best in him. I believe at Hoffenheim he played as a second striker, and a number of people on Twitter (guys who aren't numpties) that focus on Brazilian players are saying similar.

He'll be Nuri Sahin II if Rodgers keeps the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Firmino has only played 220 minutes of football for us. Not enough to judge him on.

Rodgers has used him poorly, why was he played as essentially a RWB yesterday? Same with Ings on the opposite side. Rodgers seems to have a hard on for playing players out of position, it's so frustrating.

Firmino has proved at Hoffenheim how effective he can be and has also started showing it for Brazil.

He's still young and adapting to the league, give him time. I'm confident he'll do very well.

Anyways on the team as a whole, what changes can we make bar the glaringly obvious one to put Sakho in as CB. Skrtel's ''defending'' for Martials goal was absolutely abysmal. It was like a half arsed attempt to win the ball you'd make when getting thumped at astroturf.
    For someone that's convinced he's a hardman it was shameful.
    Would it be worth dropping the 2 cbs and trying out Gomez and Sakho in the middle?
    Gomez at LB should not be a long term plan as he provides no natural width for us. Always cutting in on his right foot and teams know he's not comfortable in the left back role.

Not that I'm remotely up for pulling either out of their current club, but in fairness to Monk and Pardew, I think they uses those "tactics" things, it seems where, and some people might find this sneaky but, they look at the opponents performances before the game and set up the team to play the strengths of their squad against the weakness of the opponents and vice versa.

Klopp or Ancelotti. That's who we should be looking at.

Sacking Rodgers and signing Monk would be absolutle stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

First piece of business for the new manager is to get rid of Lovren & Skrtel, both are awful defenders.

He'll be Nuri Sahin II if Rodgers keeps the job.

It's weird you say that because I had the exact same thought when typing out the post.

If we want to A: Get into the Champion's League and B: Have some sort of clue what to do once we're in, it might not be the worst idea to hire someone with European experience.

First piece of business for the new manager is to get rid of Lovren & Skrtel, both are awful defenders.

Or at least play to their strengths. Ball playing centre backs they are not, can't be good for their confidence to be asked to take on roles they are clearly not up to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

brevity wrote: »
    Klopp or Ancelotti. That's who we should be looking at.

Sacking Rodgers and signing Monk would be absolutle stupidity.

It'll be Klopp out of those two. Think he would relish the challenge whereas Ancelotti would be happier to sit and wait it out for a team that is ready to challenge. Had him nailed on for City but they have started like a house on fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Well he is a hell of alot better then what we have, bar coutinho

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement