Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

MD1990 wrote: »
    He was excellent defensively vs Everton & didn't give Deulofeu a kick.

This the same Moreno that stood off Deulofeu, didnt close down the cross, and turned his face away for fear of getting hit for their goal ? Excellent alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If in doubt, put it out.

BrownRichKoi.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    This the same Moreno that stood off Deulofeu, didnt close down the cross, and turned his face away for fear of getting hit for their goal ? Excellent alright.
    He could have dpne better but I would blame Can for that goal. Deulofeu was taken off as Moreno done very well on him. Not blocking one cross doesn't mean u cannot have an excellent game. Moreno since he has came back into the team has done well & is improving defensively as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Knex. wrote: »
    If in doubt, put it out.

BrownRichKoi.gif

Failing that, do this...

lovren-stepovers.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If in doubt, put it out.

BrownRichKoi.gif

Thats just embarrassing.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

He could have dpne better but I would blame Can for that goal. Deulofeu was taken off as Moreno done very well on him. Not blocking one cross doesn't mean u cannot have an excellent game. Moreno since he has came back into the team has done well & is improving defensively as well.

Combination of Can and Moreno at fault for me. I'm still to be convinced by Moreno. His postional sense is poor, his final ball is poor, defensively he's average, only helped by his excellent recovery pace. I hope he improves and am looking forward to see what Klopp can do with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Failing that, do this...

lovren-stepovers.gif

But not this:

lovrenuubsa.gif

If he stopped wearing coloured boots, it might calm some of his notions.

So we've established that Lovren is sh1te because he has notions.

I'd be inclined to agree with that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Stop with the lovern gifs, ruining my klopp buzz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

K-9 wrote: »
    Yes, until a few weeks ago, when the screening was put up!

I think ive seen the team for every league game apart from the everton game posted in the boards fantasy sports arena forum. Some lad is posting the leaked team on fantasy football scout every week.

Gerrard actually spoke well of Lovren in his book. Said in his 1st training session he was superb & a very good organiser but suffered from a lack of confidence from all the criticism he took last season. Also said he worked very hard in training & was a good guy.

CQZsnfyWIAAqGpz.jpg

Gerrard did think Joe Cole was nearly as good as Messi though lol so might not be the best judge of a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

When I saw him play that friendly against Dortmund, I was like "Yep this is the guy we need, good anticipation and looks a leader". How ****ing wrong was I :(

It's not the boots.

dejan-lovren-penalty-kick-miss-besiktas-liverpool.gif?w=600&h=332

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Turtyturd wrote: »

lovren-stepovers.gif

I wouldn't mind but the midfielder made it easy for him to put the ball through his legs as he was square on.....

If one of our U15's did this, we would be asking questions...most of them however know how to deal with a 1-1 situation. It was like he did his 2 step overs and didn't have a plan after that

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

rob316 wrote: »
    When I saw him play that friendly against Dortmund, I was like "Yep this is the guy we need, good anticipation and looks a leader". How ****ing wrong was I :(
    Same. I was in the Kop that day an he looked the part. Still questioning myself after it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Maybe it's a mental thing.

Or maybe signing him for 20m was mental.

I think he's the very definition of a "confidence player".

He's had too many patches in his career where his form slides for it not to be a concern now. Defense is one of those positions where its far better to be a 6 out of 10 all year long, than a couple of 8 or 9s, and then a few 4s.

You can't make a career out of Luis Garcia-ing the CB position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Grayditch wrote: »
    Maybe it's a mental thing.

Or maybe signing him for 20m was mental.

Either way ... it's mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Either way, if he never plays again and we take a 20m hit then hopefully it serves a lesson to the brains trust on the transfer committee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Either way, if he never plays again and we take a 20m hit then hopefully it serves a lesson to the brains trust on the transfer committee.

Lovren is a Rodgers pick, the TC picked Sakho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I don't buy that public handwashing of responsibility. It's stinks.

They were all eventuallysanctioned by Rodgers and the committee. Yes, some where introduced or sponsored by different people but I am sure there was agreement reached.

Probably some degree of horse trading went on, but I don't believe for a second the TC objected to spunking 20m on Lovren and let Rodgers do it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I think he's the very definition of a "confidence player".

He's had too many patches in his career where his form slides for it not to be a concern now. Defense is one of those positions where its far better to be a 6 out of 10 all year long, than a couple of 8 or 9s, and then a few 4s.

You can't make a career out of Luis Garcia-ing the CB position.

"Luis Garcia-ing"

I like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

England U21 starting line-up: Pickford, Gomez, Targett, Baker, Chambers, Dier, Ibe, Ward-Prowse, Akpom, Loftus-Cheek, Redmond

England U21 subs: Iorfa, Walton, Chalobah, Forster-Caskey, Watmore, Wilson, Woodrow

U19s top their group

http://www.thefa.com/news/england/development/2015/oct/england-u19s-v-italy-report

sheyi-ojo-england-u19s.ashx?la=en
    England U19s (4-4-2): 1 Freddie Woodman (Newcastle United); 12 Kyle Walker-Peters (Tottenham Hotspur), 15 Dael Fry (Middlesbrough), 6 Jake Clarke-Salter (C) (Chelsea), 2 Jonjoe Kenny (Everton); 17 Sheyi Ojo (Wolverhampton Wanderers, on loan from Liverpool), 8 Lewis Cook (Leeds United), 4 Jordan Rossiter (Liverpool), 7 Patrick Roberts (Manchester City); 11 Dan Crowley (Barnsley, on loan from Arsenal), 9 Adam Armstrong (Coventry City, on loan Newcastle United).

As bad as he's been, we won't let him walk away for nothing either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

I'm going out on a limb, by the end of the season Lovren will be first choice and seen as just as important as Sakho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm going out on a limb, by the end of the season Lovren will be first choice and seen as just as important as Sakho.

Would be quite a damning indictment of Rodgers, but could well be the case.

I still don't have a major problem with the signing of Lovren. The price was ridiculous, but the player himself was absolutely terrific the previous year and seemed tailor made for the premiership. We just haven't gotten anywhere near the best of him - hopefully Klopp can bring out the steady performer Pochetino had, rather than the inconsistent bag of nerves we've seen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Would be quite a damning indictment of Rodgers, but could well be the case.

I still don't have a major problem with the signing of Lovren. The price was ridiculous, but the player himself was absolutely terrific the previous year and seemed tailor made for the premiership. We just haven't gotten anywhere near the best of him - hopefully Klopp can bring out the steady performer Pochetino had, rather than the inconsistent bag of nerves we've seen.

I am convinced that you put a dedicated DM in front of him for a run of games and we'd see aa completely different player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

I am convinced that you put a dedicated DM in front of him for a run of games and we'd see aa completely different player.

did you watch much of him for Lyon?

He was touted as the next big thing at one stage, we were actually linked with him from Lyon around 2011-2012 I think it was. When Boumsong departed Lovren saw alot of game time and was decent enough.

He was playing pretty decent stuff towards the end of that season.

However, the wheels came off at Lyon not long after, he was quite simply woeful and his stock plummeted to the point he was sold to Southampton for a price similar to what Lyon actually paid for him. The french media were not too fond of his performances.

He had a terrific start to his Southampton career, up until Christmas he did quite well. However, his form again tailed off after xmas (not to the level it did previously with Lyon).

I would argue the guy is not a top defender at all and his performances (even before coming to Liverpool) show that. He went from promising to woeful at Lyon in a short time and also from good to average at Southampton.

Its annoying when we hear people saying the guy has clear pedigree and simply hit the skids at liverpool, theres plenty of evidence of him failing to kick on elsewhere too.

Gary Neville did a piece on him on MNS analysing his performance for Southampton at Old Trafford and earmarked him as a "top top defender" on the back of that game and it really gained legs after that.

You only need two eyes to see the guy is a very mediocre defender prone to the odd purple patch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Thats quite the prediction.!

I also have the same feeling that he was left horribly exposed in Rodgers setup, be interesting to see how he lines out now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Is that really the sign of a top CB though? It's all well and good for a CB to play well if he has a Matic or Mascherano playing in front of him, but the sign of a really good CB is when he stays calm when he is exposed.

Lovren seems to **** the bed any time he's caught in possession with nobody else around such as the West Ham game.

I don't think he's good enough for us in the long run and I think we should cut our losses on him.

price690 wrote: »
    did you watch much of him for Lyon?

He was touted as the next big thing at one stage, we were actually linked with him from Lyon around 2011-2012 I think it was. When Boumsong departed Lovren saw alot of game time and was decent enough.

He was playing pretty decent stuff towards the end of that season.

However, the wheels came off at Lyon not long after, he was quite simply woeful and his stock plummeted to the point he was sold to Southampton for a price similar to what Lyon actually paid for him. The french media were not too fond of his performances.

He had a terrific start to his Southampton career, up until Christmas he did quite well. However, his form again tailed off after xmas (not to the level it did previously with Lyon).

I would argue the guy is not a top defender at all and his performances (even before coming to Liverpool) show that. He went from promising to woeful at Lyon in a short time and also from good to average at Southampton.

Its annoying when we hear people saying the guy has clear pedigree and simply hit the skids at liverpool, theres plenty of evidence of him failing to kick on elsewhere too.

Gary Neville did a piece on him on MNS analysing his performance for Southampton at Old Trafford and earmarked him as a "top top defender" on the back of that game and it really gained legs after that.

You only need two eyes to see the guy is a very mediocre defender prone to the odd purple patch.
    Great post. I heard about his Lyon form before & noticed he tailed off at Southampton too after an injury but I thought like a lot of young CBs that his Lyon form was just an young player having a poor spell. But it's looks like he just isn't a very good CB at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Is that really the sign of a top CB though? It's all well and good for a CB to play well if he has a Matic or Mascherano playing in front of him, but the sign of a really good CB is when he stays calm when he is exposed.

Lovren seems to **** the bed any time he's caught in possession with nobody else around such as the West Ham game.

I don't think he's good enough for us in the long run and I think we should cut our losses on him.

We'd have to give him away at this stage. And even then he's probably on a decent wedge that he wouldn't get elsewhere so we're probably stuck with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Gomez went off injured for the England U-21's. Looked like his ankle.

• Advertisement

We'd have to give him away at this stage. And even then he's probably on a decent wedge that he wouldn't get elsewhere so we're probably stuck with him.

He's a prime candidate to be Milaned.

Season long loan at AC with use paying 99% of his wages and them definitely buying him the following season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Great post. I heard about his Lyon form before & noticed he tailed off at Southampton too after an injury but I thought like a lot of young CBs that his Lyon form was just an young player having a poor spell. But it's looks like he just isn't a very good CB at all.

There's different ways of looking at it. He's had pretty extended periods of being very good. We can see his limitations aren't technical or physical, they're mental. That's something that can be worked on.

Maybe we see an improvement under new leadership, maybe we don't. He's still very much a distant 3rd choice, but i'm interested to see what Klopp brings out of him. At the very least, I expect him to come under a lot less pressure in a Klopp system, which should help. Hopefully we'll see an improvement, and if not he'll be sold off in January or the summer most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Nevermind whatever set-up Klopp will bring. Lovren puts himself under pressure. Remember him giving the ball away for West Ham's 3rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Go through our squad with a fine comb, anyone severely lacking in pace (no matter how technically sound) will struggle to make an impact under Klopp.

Thats the reality of it i'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Go through our squad with a fine comb, anyone severely lacking in pace (no matter how technically sound) will struggle to make an impact under Klopp.

TBH at the top level pace should be a prerequisite about time we shifted the one paced cart horses we have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Nuri Sahin was one of his favoured players at Dortmund and he's not known for his pace at all. The likes of Grosskreutz, Kehl, Bender, Gundogan are hardly rapid either.

Going forward, he will utilise players like Sturridge and Ings, and I fully expect Lallana to be cut from the squad. But in the middle of the park and in some other positions I don't think many will suffer simply because they're slow.

If players are good enough, they'll stay. Not every position has to have a Theo Walcott or Arjen Robben playing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Can't wait for Saturday's match. First game in a long time I'm optimistic about tactics, formation, and the players being up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

ush wrote: »
    Nevermind whatever set-up Klopp will bring. Lovren puts himself under pressure. Remember him giving the ball away for West Ham's 3rd.

He might of been told to keep possession at all costs and that put extra pressure on the Poor lad, there is no other reason why he made so many mistakes.

Those step overs actually reminded me of Ronaldo when he fist signed for utd, so for that reason I still hold some hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

I'm treating now until Swansea at home at the end of November as pre-season for Klopp. I expect by then he'll have the majority of the players understanding what he wants from them, and he should have a good idea about who can fit into the system/s he wants to implement. I expect us to still get results in this time period, but for me, the next 5-6 weeks are not that important in the overall picture.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    He might of been told to keep possession at all costs and that put extra pressure on the Poor lad, there is no other reason why he made so many mistakes.

Those step overs actually reminded me of Ronaldo when he fist signed for utd, so for that reason I still hold some hope.
    This is a joke:confused: or you still hold some hope because you think Lovren is good at doing step overs lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I know i championed Lovren before he signed, and i stand by it now, i think he will get better once all the calamitous decisions are ironed out by Klopp in terms of the make up of this squad.

I just have one stat to put out there as i feel there is too much of a lilt towards Lovren for blame.

When we played Stoke and got smashed 6-1, it was our worst defensive display in the league for 52 years. I'd be inclined to think there were other issues aside from Lovren, who did not play that day. Furthermore, the expected clean sheets against Norwich and Villa etc didnt materialise through his absence.

That other issue happens to be Martin Skrtel imo. A player who, if he had anything about him upstairs, should be captaining this team right now, usually 5 years older than anyone who plays beside him in defence. I think its his 9th season with us as well. Why do i see the club line out with James Milner as captain 3 games in at Old Trafford?.

For me, this is where we have been let down over the last while, Skrtel is just useless but been there so long its almost treason to criticise. I dont believe he can form a solid partnership with anyone because he is a braindead footballer and thus, a renegade, and very little can be done to change that mindset now for him imo.

If we were dripping in clean sheets (sorry, consider that my homage to Linda) while Lovren was out all this would be fair enough. The fact is we arent, and we never did before Lovren, with the only common denominator in central defence over the last 3 or 4 years, Martin Skrtel. Now, im not saying he is all to blame but i feel its significant that the player, after 9 seasons and being so much older than most around him shows next to no leadership and that is reflected in how he plays, he plays for himself when CB is a partnership 'game'. Some may feel thats harsh but thats what i see.

The two seasons prior to this season Skrtel had 20 clean sheets in the league, Lovren had 18, only stand out 'fun' fact from this is that it took Skrtel an extra 15 or 16 games worth to get that many, in what you could say was a vastly superior team in one of those seasons.

Anyway, its all change now and i expect Klopp to bring in at least one CB, i expect in 9 months to be talking about Sakho and Lovren fighting for the other slot. Other than being able to stay fit and available i dont see any redeeming features in Skrtels game, given his age, that warrants keeping him on.

Just one mans view.

Klopp is the grin that keeps on grinning.

CROwKp9UwAAsEKr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

daithijjj wrote: »
    I know i championed Lovren before he signed, and i stand by it now, i think he will get better once all the calamitous decisions are ironed out by Klopp in terms of the make up of this squad.

I just have one stat to put out there as i feel there is too much of a lilt towards Lovren for blame.

When we played Stoke and got smashed 6-1, it was our worst defensive display in the league for 52 years. I'd be inclined to think there were other issues aside from Lovren, who did not play that day. Furthermore, the expected clean sheets against Norwich and Villa etc didnt materialise through his absence.

That other issue happens to be Martin Skrtel imo. A player who, if he had anything about him upstairs, should be captaining this team right now, usually 5 years older than anyone who plays beside him in defence. I think its his 9th season with us as well. Why do i see the club line out with James Milner as captain 3 games in at Old Trafford?.

For me, this is where we have been let down over the last while, Skrtel is just useless but been there so long its almost treason to criticise. I dont believe he can form a solid partnership with anyone because he is a braindead footballer and thus, a renegade, and very little can be done to change that mindset now for him imo.

If we were dripping in clean sheets (sorry, consider that my homage to Linda) while Lovren was out all this would be fair enough. The fact is we arent, and we never did before Lovren, with the only common denominator in central defence over the last 3 or 4 years, Martin Skrtel. Now, im not saying he is all to blame but i feel its significant that the player, after 9 seasons and being so much older than most around him shows next to no leadership and that is reflected in how he plays, he plays for himself when CB is a partnership 'game'. Some may feel thats harsh but thats what i see.

The two seasons prior to this season Skrtel had 20 clean sheets in the league, Lovren had 18, only stand out 'fun' fact from this is that it took Skrtel an extra 15 or 16 games worth to get that many, in what you could say was a vastly superior team in one of those seasons.

Anyway, its all change now and i expect Klopp to bring in at least one CB, i expect in 9 months to be talking about Sakho and Lovren fighting for the other slot. Other than being able to stay fit and available i dont see any redeeming features in Skrtels game, given his age, that warrants keeping him on.

Just one mans view.

I'd agree with most of this in fairness. It's been discussed a fair bit in here and I think quite a few agree. He displays very little in leadership qualities in a position where this quality is so important.

Skrtel isn't good enough at all. The only thing is that he is decent in the air & has a bit of pace. He also gives 110% on the pitch every time. But everything else is poor & he has to make so many last ditch challenges from being out of position & loves dropping off too.

I agree skrytel isn't great, I don't think lovren is any better though, out of his depth in a team expected to challenge for top4 imo. I can't see him coming good to an acceptable degree, hismistakes are beyond mistakes imo, total lunacy at times, nutty stuff.

Don't see why lallana is nailed on by many to be a goner under klopp, I always reckoned himself and coutinho can't be accommodated in a first 11 but given lallanas age and contract with us along with his ability I think klopp will see him as a useable asset.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement