Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Skrtel was never a world beater, but I'd still start him over Lovren imo.

Selling Agger for a pittance will go down as one of the biggest mistakes of Rodgers' reign. Absolutely criminal that a player like him is stuck in the Danish league as I think he could still do a better job than either of them.

I reckon Kolo, Lovren and Skrtel will all get chopped in the next year and Kloppo will bring in someone from Germany, hopefully someone like Papasthapopoulos or Subotic and will give Gomez (and hopefully Ilori) a shot.

Sakho, for me, has to become our principal CB, if we're going by the ones we currently have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

MD1990 wrote: »
    Skrtel isn't good enough at all. The only thing is that he is decent in the air & has a bit of pace. He also gives 110% on the pitch every time. But everything else is poor & he has to make so many last ditch challenges from being out of position & loves dropping off too.

Decent when he has people to either side, like a flat back 4, or a 3 at the back so he can be covered. Then he can just throw himself about at his leisure. When it comes to needing disciplined intelligent tracking and movement, he ends up all at sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Augeo wrote: »
    Don't see why lallana is nailed on by many to be a goner under klopp, I always reckoned himself and coutinho can't be accommodated in a first 11 but given lallanas age and contract with us along with his ability I think klopp will see him as a useable asset.

I think it's mostly due to his lack of pace, but he also tends to lose the ball quite a bit.

I think he won't have much of a chance if he wants to play as a #10, but honestly, I think he could try and revert to a position around Milner, Can, Henderson as he's by far the most creative among that bunch. Klopp might try and convert him to there, or else I think he'll get sold.

I just can't see him flourishing as a #10 or winger under Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

daithijjj wrote: »
    I know i championed Lovren before he signed, and i stand by it now, i think he will get better once all the calamitous decisions are ironed out by Klopp in terms of the make up of this squad.

I just have one stat to put out there as i feel there is too much of a lilt towards Lovren for blame.

When we played Stoke and got smashed 6-1, it was our worst defensive display in the league for 52 years. I'd be inclined to think there were other issues aside from Lovren, who did not play that day. Furthermore, the expected clean sheets against Norwich and Villa etc didnt materialise through his absence.

That other issue happens to be Martin Skrtel imo. A player who, if he had anything about him upstairs, should be captaining this team right now, usually 5 years older than anyone who plays beside him in defence. I think its his 9th season with us as well. Why do i see the club line out with James Milner as captain 3 games in at Old Trafford?.

For me, this is where we have been let down over the last while, Skrtel is just useless but been there so long its almost treason to criticise. I dont believe he can form a solid partnership with anyone because he is a braindead footballer and thus, a renegade, and very little can be done to change that mindset now for him imo.

If we were dripping in clean sheets (sorry, consider that my homage to Linda) while Lovren was out all this would be fair enough. The fact is we arent, and we never did before Lovren, with the only common denominator in central defence over the last 3 or 4 years, Martin Skrtel. Now, im not saying he is all to blame but i feel its significant that the player, after 9 seasons and being so much older than most around him shows next to no leadership and that is reflected in how he plays, he plays for himself when CB is a partnership 'game'. Some may feel thats harsh but thats what i see.

The two seasons prior to this season Skrtel had 20 clean sheets in the league, Lovren had 18, only stand out 'fun' fact from this is that it took Skrtel an extra 15 or 16 games worth to get that many, in what you could say was a vastly superior team in one of those seasons.

Anyway, its all change now and i expect Klopp to bring in at least one CB, i expect in 9 months to be talking about Sakho and Lovren fighting for the other slot. Other than being able to stay fit and available i dont see any redeeming features in Skrtels game, given his age, that warrants keeping him on.

Just one mans view.

giphy.gif

Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

I think it's mostly due to his lack of pace, but he also tends to lose the ball quite a bit.

I think he won't have much of a chance if he wants to play as a #10, but honestly, I think he could try and revert to a position around Milner, Can, Henderson as he's by far the most creative among that bunch. Klopp might try and convert him to there, or else I think he'll get sold.

I just can't see him flourishing as a #10 or winger under Klopp.

I actually think lallana could flourish under Klopp , he's already excellent at pressing, has enough pace, good game intelligence , makes good runs and has great technique the biggest thing he'll have to work on is not taking so many touches of the ball, of over cooking it and showing the play down. When he starts releasing the ball quicker I think he'll be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Sakho, for me, has to become our principal CB, if we're going by the ones we currently have.

I reckon he was told about Klopp coming a while back and that's why he signed his new contract even though he wasn't happy. Was probably reassured that he'd be Klopps no 1 cb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Selling Agger for a pittance will go down as one of the biggest mistakes of Rodgers' reign. Absolutely criminal that a player like him is stuck in the Danish league as I think he could still do a better job than either of them.

Agger, we all loved him and lovren has shown nothing anywhere near to date that he will ever be as good for us but moving on agger pretty much made sense at the time given how brittle he was, i mean he publcally said he wasn't physically able for the league amymore. Not the kind of mindset you want a player to be in.
    I actually think lallana could flourish under Klopp , he's already excellent at pressing, has enough pace, good game intelligence , makes good runs and has great technique the biggest thing he'll have to work on is not taking so many touches of the ball, of over cooking it and showing the play down. When he starts releasing the ball quicker I think he'll be excellent.

I personally don't see lallana cutting it under klopp, what you say is largely true but to me he just slows down the game way too much when he is on the ball.

I see suso is in line to get the chop at milan in january too, pretty crazy move that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Charlie19 wrote: »
    He might of been told to keep possession at all costs and that put extra pressure on the Poor lad, there is no other reason why he made so many mistakes.

Those step overs actually reminded me of Ronaldo when he fist signed for utd, so for that reason I still hold some hope.

Yes agree totes, all we need now is a partner for lovren who can do cruyff turns in the centre circle , a goalie to specialize in scorpion kicks for clearances and a couple of keepy uppy champs at full back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Skrtel was never a world beater, but I'd still start him over Lovren imo.

Selling Agger for a pittance will go down as one of the biggest mistakes of Rodgers' reign. Absolutely criminal that a player like him is stuck in the Danish league as I think he could still do a better job than either of them

you must not follow lfc news at all if this is what you think based on what went on before and since his departure regarding agger's performances and quality.

he was done unfortunately,its not a secret. no other big club wanted him.

using it as a stick against a former manager is unnecessary,there are plenty of factual sticks to use,this aint one,and its been repeated several times on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Agree with Daithijjj re Skrtel, and would not be surprised or saddened for him to fall out from the first team. The opposite in fact. Its insane to see him take up a starting berth for so damn long.

Not sure I can agree on the Lovren thing, not after looking back at his history with Lyon in detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Knex. wrote: »
    Agree with Daithijjj re Skrtel, and would not be surprised or saddened for him to fall out from the first team. The opposite in fact. Its insane to see him take up a starting berth for so damn long.

Not sure I can agree on the Lovren thing, not after looking back at his history with Lyon in detail.

Skrtel is a starter. He's the best centre back we have. That's not a compliment to him, more a sad indictment on the state of our defence. But he's our best CB all the same.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Skrtel is a starter. He's the best centre back we have. That's not a compliment to him, more a sad indictment on the state of our defence. But he's our best CB all the same.

Sakho, though.

Sakho, though.

Forgot about Sahko actually :o I don't think Sahko's much better or any more reliable than Skrtel though. I think Skrtel should always be starting.

But I've wanted an upgrade on Skrtel for a few seasons now and we've never got one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

In Skrtel, it's a long while since we've had a non british captain. It's a populist move. We should get rid of him t h ough as I still have to check the spelling of his weird ass name before I post it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Skrtel was grand when Carragher or Agger were there to do his thinking for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

You can argue that Lovren is/is not a good player. The fact is, for us he has been a disaster, and the clean sheets he was involved in does not show the full picture as he was making a lot of awful mistakes in them also. My worry with him is not the goals we conceded or how we setup in defence with him but how terrible he was in the absolute basics of defending and decision making.

Its definitely a mental thing and not necessarily a coaching thing IMO, maybe a combination of the two. Maybe Klopp will be able to get something more out of him. As bad as some people think Skrtel is I'd trust him far more than Lovren, and he shouldn't start ahead of Sakho either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lucas on first day of training with Klopp.
    “So far, so good. Monday was our first day on the grass with the new manager in charge. It has been very positive.

“There is a lot of information and as players we need to listen a lot now, and learn and try to put everything he asks us to do onto the pitch and off the pitch as well. It has been very good, very positive and hopefully it will keep going like that.

“He seems to be very passionate – he likes to put in everything that he has and he asks the players for the same. Be very intense, be aggressive with yourself, is what he has been saying.

“Always try to be better, always give 10 metres more, because that will be the key to success. That is what he has been saying to us in the last couple of days.

“He seems to be a very open manager and someone that likes to be close to the players, but very straight as well. That’s what I’ve learned from the last couple of days and I think it was a positive way to start.”

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/195829-lucas-reveals-jrgen-klopp-s-impact-so-far

klose wrote: »

I see suso is in line to get the chop at milan in january too, pretty crazy move that.

Milan will make a few quid out of that presumably? £1m ish they gave Liverpool, they'd defo get £5m+ you'd imagine for him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I predict a 10000% increase in sales of red New Balance baseball caps. Hope they've the production lines ready!

• Subscribers Posts: 693 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

spockety wrote: »
    I predict a 10000% increase in sales of red New Balance baseball caps. Hope they've the production lines ready!

Not to mention this and indeed these bad boys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Skrtel and Agger had more clean sheets when they played as a pairing than Sakho and Agger or Sakho and Skrtel, despite people believing otherwise.

According to a few on here the re-introduction of Sakho and Lucas back into our first 11 a few weeks back was meant to solve all our defensive woes, and look how that turned out.

Halloween is just going to be a fecking load of Klopp's walking around the gaff in hipster glasses and a baseball cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Halloween is just going to be a fecking load of Klopp's walking around the gaff in hipster glasses and a baseball cap.

Can't wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Skrtel and Agger had more clean sheets when they played as a pairing than Sakho and Agger or Sakho and Skrtel, despite people believing otherwise.

According to a few on here the re-introduction of Sakho and Lucas back into our first 11 a few weeks back was meant to solve all our defensive woes, and look how that turned out.

Liverpool's woes at the back are systemic ultimately. Focusing on personalities is distracting us from that (still think Lovren is crap though!).

Klopp's brain is missing! :eek:
    Jurgen Klopp is set to be missing one of his assistants for Saturday’s clash with Tottenham Hotspur, with Zeljko Buvac facing work permit issues.

Klopp is heavily reliant on Buvac as his tactical mind, but the German is set to be without his assistant for the first game of his Liverpool tenure.

The Bosnian is yet to obtain a work permit for his move to Merseyside, according to numerous reports on Wednesday.

“The man who Klopp has described as ‘his brain’ has not arrived in England yet as he is still waiting to obtain a work permit,” explains the Independent.

“Liverpool are hopeful that Buvac will be granted clearance in time to be on the touchline for their new manager’s first game against Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday.”

Kloppo and the Brain, Kloppo and the Brain. One is a genius, the other insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Fairly accurate description of them too.

Did people know that Gerrard had a new book out? He's been very quiet about it.

Here's a bit:
    I had been straining the whole half to make something happen, so had Luis. Chelsea just kept blunting us. And then I’d slipped. The dressing room was hushed.

‘Look,’ Brendan said, imploring the other players, ‘if anyone deserves to be bailed out it’s him.’ His finger pointed at me. ‘Your captain needs you to all pay him back. The amount of times he’s pulled this club out of a mess and changed impossible situations and got players out of trouble are the stuff of legend. Now it’s time you repay him. You’ve got forty-five minutes to do it.’

Brendan looked at me. ‘Stevie, forget it,’ he said. ‘It happens. Let’s all go out and win this game. We can do it.’

Here's a bit:

"Your captain needs you to all pay him back. The amount of times he’s pulled this club out of a mess and changed impossible situations and got players out of trouble are the stuff of legend. Now it’s time you repay him. You’ve got forty-five minutes to do it."

And the players thought the best thing was to keep giving him the ball at every shooting opportunity.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm looking forward to seeing how our play and tactics change and evolve under Klopp. I'm not expecting miracles of course, and we might be slow to see how things are different even perhaps. I hope we can see a change in the way personnel are used and how we set up in attack and/or defence, but that may take time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Here's a bit:

If he got through that whole speech without mentioning character once, that is probably his biggest achievement at the club.

brevity wrote: »
    "Your captain needs you to all pay him back. The amount of times he’s pulled this club out of a mess and changed impossible situations and got players out of trouble are the stuff of legend. Now it’s time you repay him. You’ve got forty-five minutes to do it."

And the players thought the best thing was to keep giving him the ball at every shooting opportunity.

I think we have a lot of evidence over the years that points to the team being sadly lacking in leaders and characters, especially when in a dog fight. That was just one more example of it. They all looked for Gerrard and Suarez to take charge.

You take Gerrard, Carra and Suarez aside from our players over the last 5+ years, and its hard to put you're complete trust in many others in those scenarios.

Hopefully we can get a few players who step up now under Klopp, but I still question the character of this squad, being honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

you must not follow lfc news at all if this is what you think based on what went on before and since his departure regarding agger's performances and quality.

he was done unfortunately,its not a secret. no other big club wanted him.

using it as a stick against a former manager is unnecessary,there are plenty of factual sticks to use,this aint one,and its been repeated several times on here.

Didn't somebody put up his appearance stats in Denmark?

Good and all as he was Rodgers and the club did the right thing, its OK to say that?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I actually finished Gerrard's book last night. It's a decent enough read, interesting to read about the last few seasons. Rodgers comes out of it very well, but so too does Hodgson so whatever.

Jesus, Gerrard loves talking about how great he his and how much the fans love him. I mean, it's true an all but he hasn't a bother saying it.

He's also a bit of a Captain Hindsight. When he's talking about defeats or when things went wrong, it's either somebody else's fault or he talks about how he wouldn't have set up this way or that that should have been done differently etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I look forward to that inspirational speech in 'Gerrard: The Movie'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

brevity wrote: »

Not bad, but does it top Rodgers at the 2013 Malaysian Bowls Championship?
    OBEVuSV.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Did people know that Gerrard had a new book out?

Read it. Quite good actually. It mainly goes into the last two seasons.

One thing that kinda stood out, at least to me, was SG said that Emre Can at HT in the 6-1 defeat at Stoke stood up and started to speak to the team taking the full responsibility before SG and others stopped him and then collectively took the blame.

Also, its clear from the book that he has a lot of respect for BR, despite not always agreeing with him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The brain has landed

Just landed and already taking a training session.

https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/654265953249796096

CRRyg9QWIAAW3yv.jpg
    CRRyhBfWoAAJQml.jpg
    CRRyg-NWoAAj5_q.jpg
    CRRyhFXWgAEVapg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ricero wrote: »
    The brain has landed

Make him live!

2009-07-10-Reanimator.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I actually finished Gerrard's book last night. It's a decent enough read, interesting to read about the last few seasons. Rodgers comes out of it very well, but so too does Hodgson so whatever.

Jesus, Gerrard loves talking about how great he his and how much the fans love him. I mean, it's true an all but he hasn't a bother saying it.

He's also a bit of a Captain Hindsight. When he's talking about defeats or when things went wrong, it's either somebody else's fault or he talks about how he wouldn't have set up this way or that that should have been done differently etc.

In fairness the I'm great stuff is just filler by the ghost writer, can't imagine him repeating that during the conversations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

You gotta love Herr Klopp just wandering around the place laughing his head off. Gas man. Good for morale

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Alonso77 wrote: »
    You gotta love Herr Klopp just wandering around the place laughing his head off. Gas man. Good for morale
    Bet Sterling wishes he'd stayed now:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Alonso77 wrote: »

Dishing out man slaps, laughing at people. Just another day at the office.

I'll be very, very impressed if he gets a win after having only a few days with the squad to implement any kind of system, enough to beat Spurs. I'll not expecting anything at all. There's always 2nd of April ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'll be very, very impressed if he gets a win after having only a few days with the squad to implement any kind of system, enough to beat Spurs. I'll not expecting anything at all. There's always 2nd of April ;)

If he plays people in their right positions then he has a chance. I'm expecting a performance bounce that can happen as players want to impress the new manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Here's a bit:

I won't be able to stand him soon, taking the standard post career chilli and rice english player trajectory.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement