Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

MOTD Extra talking about the game, unfortunately with typical old school observation "character" was invoked rather than stuff like tactics.

Peter Odemwingie rightly observed the folly of two right footed players on the left and Firmino on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

So Houlihan scores a goal yesterday and now all of a sudden we should sign him!!! Well that has perked me up no end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So Houlihan scores a goal yesterday and now all of a sudden we should sign him!!! Well that has perked me up no end.

It was one poster's opinion tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Not saying we should sign him but doesn't he have like 5 assists on top of the goal? He is having an impressive start to the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Chelsea have conceded 17 goals in last 8 league games, it doesn't mean they should sack Jose. The East Bacon result was far worse than losing to Man U 3-1 , we had great chances to make it 1-1 before that penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    This is a really important view on the situation by the way...lots of people are going to say 'it's only five games into the season, sacking him is knee jerk' - but it needs to be remembered that an ever bigger data trend of unacceptable performances / results is building.

Not directed at you but this logic doesn't fly with me.

It's irrelevant that its five games into the season - its been four years. No trophies, disaster in Europe and the highlight was a 2nd place finish largely driven by one of the best players in the world.

Rodgers' hubris is his downfall. Nothing more nothing less.

He's a bad carpenter. Foolish banging away with no clue of what to do. The transfer committee are giving him tools but he doesn't need them, he doesn't know how to use them, he knows best. He picks up a screw and a hammer and bangs away...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

in all honesty i have never taken to Brendan, imo, there is something false about him, something that has shown up in his private live, but we will keep that separate. (I have worked for a person who spouted ethics and honesty etc, but in his private live he was a cnut)

More importantly, it looks now more than ever that Suarez covered serious cracks and that was based on have one of the top three players in the world at our club, on a par imo with Messi and Ronaldo, in the sense of what he could do, how he lead and how he could change a game.

When Rafa arrived, he built a system around the average players he had at that time and won the CL, he then went about moulding what he wanted in a team over a couple of seasons and got to another CL final and was unlucky not to win.

Brendan seems to have decided that he wants to play to a particular system or various systems, without allowing for the players he has at his disposal.
    whats more frightening, he then buys more players that look even before they come that they will not fit his system!

Why did he buy Rickie Lambert last year? Why did he buy Benteke this year, unless he was going to setup to play to his strengths?
    Why did he buy Lallana last year and when the lad played well, drop him back to the bench, same with Moreno this season? why did he buy Sakho and now seems to have frozen him out? Why did he fkuc around Borini and Enrique, also the poor way he treated Ballotelli, (he was his scapegoat last season for everything.) Also not sure how Ings can fit into his system either.
    Last season he also played Gerrard in an area where teams figured him out and exposed him (past his best in that type of position) Plus he made no effort to replace Gerrard, maybe irreplaceable, but surely there was a world class center mid out there we could have gone after?

He is the opposite of H****** ( i still do not recognize the time that cnut was in charge of Liverpool) in press conferences, where one played us down and lowered expectations to Brendan playing us up after we lose 3 -1, I am not too bothered other fans taking the piss in regards to this Character crap etc, as he has definitely toned it down this year, maybe under orders from FSG, who already sacked part of his backroom team.

Unless we were now to go on a massive winning run, scoring loads of goals, i think he is one maybe two poor performances away from the sack and I would be very surprised if FSG are not sounding out a replacement in the background, whether that be Klopp, Ancellotti or some up and coming manager like Monk, Howe or Alex Neil

But, I am not too despondent, been through this many times as a Liverpool supporter, it will change, the good times will come, even if it is a close season like two years ago or 2005-2008 under Rafa, or the run we had under Houlier, we will be back.

YNWA

Chelsea have conceded 17 goals in last 8 league games, it doesn't mean they should sack Jose. The East Bacon result was far worse than losing to Man U 3-1 , we had great chances to make it 1-1 before that penalty.

Jose is a proven world class manager who just won the league AGAIN. His name and situation has no business near a debate about Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

At a boy Royal Legend, good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

indy knows the score.

About the same price as one of his average signings that gets loaned out and sold at a loss after a season of never playing.

https://twitter.com/indykaila/status/642993347246882816

A bargain.

• Advertisement

Not saying we should sign him but doesn't he have like 5 assists on top of the goal? He is having an impressive start to the season.

4 assist and 1 goal I believe yes, irrelevant though, he reeks of mediocrity never mind factoring in what age he is.

You are a small bit deluded there, we were sh1te, just it does not look at that bad to you considering utd are not that far ahead of us

MELTDOWN

by the way people, we often laugh when the Utd, Arsenal or Chelsea forums (do the bluenoses have a forum? maybe being the peoples club they all communicate down their local or in the town hall) but they must be having some laugh at us going into freefall at the moment :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

4 assist and 1 goal I believe yes, irrelevant though, he reeks of mediocrity never mind factoring in what age he is.

If he reeks of mediocrity tell me what our players reek of will ya

by the way people, we often laugh when the Utd, Arsenal or Chelsea forums (do the bluenoses have a forum? maybe being the peoples club they all communicate down their local or in the town hall) but they must be having some laugh at us going into freefall at the moment :)

Meh, the meltdown like the season so far has been fairly tame. Caling Rodgers a scumbag and a degree of hubris on the thread aside, it's been fairly weak.

Jose is a proven world class manager who just won the league AGAIN. His name and situation has no business near a debate about Rodgers.

My point is that to judge Rodgers on the results this season would be silly, it's early days and we all knew that the potential to lose some of these early fixtures was highly likely. Confidence has been knocked with fans and players but I have a feeling that things will improve 10 fold '' if'' Sturidge returns and forms a partnership with Benteke. The one think that's clear is we need help for Benteke. For Rodgers to play Ings and Firmino as wide deep lying midfield players was a cowardly approach to yesterdays game.
    You need a genuine threat in this league to wins games,to go there and to clearly play for a 0-0 was wrong, that's not Liverpool, that's not even Bournemouth.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    If he reeks of mediocrity tell me what our players reek of will ya

He is bang average, just because he's Irish and scored yesterday does not change that fact, he would be no addition to our squad, just because we have average players does not mean we should sign another one in his 30's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Over three years into your tenure at a club as big as Liverpool, with a massive budget at your disposal over multiple transfer windows and your starting back four with no injuries includes Joe Gomez, Martin Skrtel and Dejan Lovren.

You have failed at your job as a football manager and should be sacked.

My point is that to judge Rodgers on the results this season would be silly, it's early days and we all knew that the potential to lose some of these early fixtures was highly likely. Confidence has been knocked with fans and players but I have a feeling that things will improve 10 fold '' if'' Sturidge returns and forms a partnership with Benteke. The one think that's clear is we need help for Benteke. For Rodgers to play Ings and Firmino as wide deep lying midfield players was a cowardly approach to yesterdays game.
    You need a genuine threat in this league to wins games,to go there and to clearly play for a 0-0 was wrong, that's not Liverpool, that's not even Bournemouth.

No one is judging him solely on results this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Some of those extracts from Gerrards book are cringey as fcuk. Wish he'd shut the **** up and wait till he's about 70 to release another book.

In football you are only as good as your last 4 games tops. I'm not defending Rodgers, he must know how important that clash was yesterday, to approach it the way he did, to surrender before a whistle was blown, to play with no fight with no intention to even try was unforgivable. He made that decision no one else, that decision to concede possession to play for a 0-0, to have no intention to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

brevity wrote: »
    Not directed at you but this logic doesn't fly with me.

It's irrelevant that its five games into the season - its been four years. No trophies, disaster in Europe and the highlight was a 2nd place finish largely driven by one of the best players in the world.

Rodgers' hubris is his downfall. Nothing more nothing less.

He's a bad carpenter. Foolish banging away with no clue of what to do. The transfer committee are giving him tools but he doesn't need them, he doesn't know how to use them, he knows best. He picks up a screw and a hammer and bangs away...

So, you wood like to see him sacked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    By the way lads, what I'd love is for Klopp / Ancelotti to come in and us all to get behind him and strap ourselves in for the ride collectively. I feel like we've been arguing about managers ever since I started posting on here over eight year's ago with the thread constantly split into factions the whole way through.

Monk / Pardew would only split us again. I'm tired. I long for the good times under Rafa, or even the 2000 - 2002 period under Houllier.

I'd take a sabbatical from Football if Pardew was appointed.

Deadly serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

mav79 wrote: »
    COxl1nfWcAAurVc.png
    Just for context.

Why is Rodgers below Dalglish when he has more points on the board?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

East bacon ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Scumbag is strong but I've always found him to be an unpleasant character in his treatment of certain players. The only player that has left with anything good to say about him is Suarez and I'd say that's because Brendan would have been doing a fair bit of licking.

Now that I think about it, has Stevie G said much about him?

Not to go all Dunphy on him either but he also left his wife to shack up with a young one. :pac:

Have you seen his ex-wife?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

to surrender before a whistle was blown, to play with no fight with no intention to even try was unforgivable.

Then just don't forgive him. He looks like he's on autopilot.

"Would you like to auto-fill the team sheet?"
    "You have selected Yes"
    "A lot of your players are not playing in their desired positions, do you wish to continue?"
    "You have selected Yes"
    "Would you like to choose a new approach for this game, or use the last used approach?"
    "You have selected the previously used approach, KICK BALL IN GOAL"
    "Warning, Lovren Selected, do yo wish to continue?"
    "You have selected Yes, are you sure you would like to continue?"
    "You have selected Yes, I'm trying to help you out here mate, so I'll ask you again..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Why is Rodgers below Dalglish when he has more points on the board?
    Chronological order.

We had a perfect stage for Ings and Firmino to shine, a huge pitch a huge crowd an intense
    atmosphere, both instructed to drop into midfield to play as close as possible to left and right back. To see that and to see Benteke so frustrated was embarrassing, United were vulnerable yesterday a more positive approach was needed.

s8n wrote: »
    East bacon ??

West Ham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

You know what? Rodgers is managing a club in the 1% of the 1%. That is what Liverpool Football Club represents. He is competing at the absolute upper echelon of his field. As such, he deserved the praise he got when leading Liverpool to a title race, against the odds, and as such, he deserves the criticism and flak right now.

That's what happens when you're at the top. A king when it goes right, and out on your ass when you get it wrong. The stakes are high.

He may go on to be a league winning manager in time, or he may not. The likelihood of either is as of now, from our perspective, pointless conjecture. Simple fact of it is, he has now used up every excuse, every brownie point, or +1 life/Mario mushroom, that the 2013/2014 campaign brought him. To keep him much longer is to admit that you're no longer competing with those clubs of a once similar stature to Liverpool. That standards are slipping.

I was pissed when Rodgers was first signed, but I quickly changed my tone and put my support behind him. Largely on the fence the first year, but not knowing any plausible alternative, I was happy to give him time.

His 2nd year, was incredible. One of the best striking partnerships of the last decade, if not a lot more, brought us over 50 league goals and to the brink of a PL title.

Last season, was largely dour. Reminiscent of Rafa's last year, tbh. This season, Rodgers has once again shown that he no longer abides by the principles he shouted from the rooftops when he first came in. Death by Football has been replaced with play by fear. We don't attack like before as we're afraid of being exposed at the back. We play two strikers and a CAM, and put two of them out wide in a 4-3-3. Regularly. We take an attacking left back who shows promise, and replace him with a right footed center back in order to compensate for our laughing stock center back, Dejan Lovren.

These are not the the actions that I think Brendan Rodgers of 12/13 or 13/14 would condone, I genuinely don't. The pressure is now too much for him and his back is to the wall. Perhaps he doesn't have the wiggle room or the brownie points to get away with losing while playing well, but he's lost the confidence in himself, and the team, to do so regardless.

This is top tier stuff, and very few in any field, can handle it. He looks like he's just not ready for it in its entirety right now. It cannot be Liverpool Football Club's place to find out if he ever will be, because its already getting too late. If we want to be a Big Club, fighting for all honours, we need to start from the top down and get our attitude right. Too many ****ing cowards are around this club right now. Staff, players, management. Its in our ****ing core.

This can't go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

How bad does it have to get before they move him on? Some very average teams have the perfect chance to take LFC apart. This is going to get a lot worse.

ush wrote: »
    How bad does it have to get before they move him on? Some very average teams have the perfect chance to take LFC apart. This is going to get a lot worse.

It will take a reaction from the home crowd to oust him imo. Whether that is after a result or just not showing up. Hoolahan will have his chance to show just how bang average he is in our next game ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Knex. wrote: »
    Last season, was largely dour. Reminiscent of Rafa's last year, tbh. This season, Rodgers has once again shown that he no longer abides by the principles he shouted from the rooftops when he first came in. Death by Football has been replaced with play by fear. We don't attack like before as we're afraid of being exposed at the back. We play two strikers and a CAM, and put two of them out wide in a 4-3-3. Regularly. We take an attacking left back who shows promise, and replace him with a right footed center back in order to compensate for our laughing stock center back, Dejan Lovren.

This ... is exactly it. I think when we went on that losing run last season and lost our mojo from the season before it really had a serious effect on Brendan. It's like he is somewhat Broken ... we sort of play from the back but are not comfortable enough to do so. We gave the ball up so easily in possession yesterday, but not just yesterday it is getting worrying. His stubborness to not change and TRY something different is a sure fire sign that he is slowly drowning.

- Centre Half - Try Gomes/Sahko instead of Lovren/Skrtel - would it be THAT shocking? That would allow Moreno to have a run in his proper position.
    - Play the mids and attackers in their natural positions!!!
    - Try 2 proper up front players. Not what he did with Ings yesterday.

these are not solutions, but simply trying the same thing week after week and failing is horrible.

Fear ... it is going to get the better of him and will cost him his job eventually. We are about to learn alot about FSG in the next month. Ruthless or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

ush wrote: »

Some average teams have already taken us apart in recent months. Palace, Stoke, West Ham, Man U.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Looking at the fixture list we actually have no easy games. Norwich are good away from home & Villa have pace on the counter. After those two we have an horrific run plus a tough enough Europe group . We really need Sturridge & Coutinho to hit top form asap . And in Sturridge 's case that's very unlikely . He will need 5-6 weeks to get near his best I would thinIk

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Ive also giving up on rodgers. I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt last season as a couple of things went against him like sturridge being injured. The start of this season has been dreadful that 1st half yesterday was embarassing. The set up of the team is all wrong. If he is going to play without wingers of which we only have Ibe anyway he needs to start moreno over gomez our attacking play is so predictable everything comes inside. Why sign benteke if you arent going to play to his strengths.
    Im not sure any changes he makes are going to work as the balance in the squad is all wrong.
    433 no wingers bar Ibe and then the left side has been players that are right footed.
    If he switches to a diamond he has to play moreno(who has been poor) but there is no way Lucas can be the deepest midfielder as he doesnt have the legs to play in that system.
    I honestly think he will be gone by the end of October. We are currently the worst team to watch in the league.
    On yesterdays game Utd werent great but atleast they tried to play and you could see what they were attempting to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Knex. wrote: »
    These are not the the actions that I think Brendan Rodgers of 12/13 or 13/14 would condone, I genuinely don't. The pressure is now too much for him and his back is to the wall. Perhaps he doesn't have the wiggle room or the brownie points to get away with losing while playing well, but he's lost the confidence in himself, and the team, to do so regardless.

When Reading gave him the bullet in 2009, they came in for a lot of criticism for not giving him time and jumping the gun. There was a quote from the Reading CEO, might have been Nigel Howe, from a while later that that I saw a few months ago that stayed with me, and I've been thinking about it a lot the last few weeks.

I tried googling for it there now, but couldn't find it. It was something along the lines that it wasn't so much the results that prompted the decision to sack Rodgers, but more the manner of the performances and the total confusion on the club's part at his team selections, tactics and game management. They literally could not understand what Rodgers's thinking was, and it disturbed them to the point that they couldn't trust him to turn it around.

Sounds dreadfully familiar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I wanted him gone after the Stoke game in May, but seeing as the club backed him to the tune of 80 odd million pounds over the summer, he should now get more than 5 games this season.

Patience isn't limitless though, and if there's no improvement in performances by November, I'd be looking to bring in Klopp.

Of course, a change in manager alone won't sort out our problematic recruitment policy, which is undoubtedly a factor in Rodgers' struggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

West Ham.

Why call them East bacon then ??

• Advertisement

I presume it was an attempt at humour, I don't know though I didn't write it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I wanted him gone after the Stoke game in May, but seeing as the club backed him to the tune of 80 odd million pounds over the summer, he should now get more than 5 games this season.

Patience isn't limitless though, and if there's no improvement in performances by November, I'd be looking to bring in Klopp.

Of course, a change in manager alone won't sort out our problematic recruitment policy, which is undoubtedly a factor in Rodgers' struggles.

The good news is that I doubt any new manager will have much scope for buying players in the next year or so. In three seasons of FSGs five they've had the "luck" of being able to sell a player for huge money, unless Coutinho or Sturridge have mega seasons that won't happen again for some time. Whoever it is will have to make what they have work better, or spot a good freebie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

corwill wrote: »
    When Reading gave him the bullet in 2009, they came in for a lot of criticism for not giving him time and jumping the gun. There was a quote from the Reading CEO, might have been Nigel Howe, from a while later that that I saw a few months ago that stayed with me, and I've been thinking about it a lot the last few weeks.

I tried googling for it there now, but couldn't find it. It was something along the lines that it wasn't so much the results that prompted the decision to sack Rodgers, but more the manner of the performances and the total confusion on the club's part at his team selections, tactics and game management. They literally could not understand what Rodgers's thinking was, and it disturbed them to the point that they couldn't trust him to turn it around.

Sounds dreadfully familiar.

COyDsmSXAAAM7bm.jpg

...from a Reading fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Watching Borini who wasn't quite good enough for us but he really leaves it all out there & gives his all. Think he will do well at Sunderland. Doesn't matter now but considering the type of player he is making him train on his own was poor management imo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

They hail from East London

Ham=Bacon

East Bacon

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

brevity wrote: »
    COyDsmSXAAAM7bm.jpg

...from a Reading fan

That's word-for-word accurate on how he could be described this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That's worrying...

Every good manager makes mistakes, the good ones learn from them.

Every good manager has a philosophy, and when its not working they tweak it

Every good manager tries different things with different players/positions to try to get the best out of them and changes again when its not paying off

Most importantly, all managers make mistakes/wrong decisions, the best ones realise they made the mistake and rectify them.

I don't think Rodgers ticks any of the above boxes

Grayditch wrote: »
    Then just don't forgive him. He looks like he's on autopilot.

"Would you like to auto-fill the team sheet?"
    "You have selected Yes"
    "A lot of your players are not playing in their desired positions, do you wish to continue?"
    "You have selected Yes"
    "Would you like to choose a new approach for this game, or use the last used approach?"
    "You have selected the previously used approach, KICK BALL IN GOAL"
    "Warning, Lovren Selected, do yo wish to continue?"
    "You have selected Yes, are you sure you would like to continue?"
    "You have selected Yes, I'm trying to help you out here mate, so I'll ask you again..."

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Just watched some of his post match press conference there. Depressing. Absolutely depressing. Clueless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement