Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Jesus, this is damning. But hard not to agree with:

http://www.football365.com/news/saturday-told-us-everything-about-you
    Some managers know when they’re lost, they know when they’ve signed the wrong players, they know when their tactics are hopeless and wrong, but Rodgers doesn’t. He still thinks he’s bloody great. Maybe he thinks he’s creating a hybrid physical expression of mathematics and poetry. He is certainly prone to talking like a man who is divorced entirely from reality. It is as though everything he says has been generated by a piece of software as a satire on the way air-headed, white-toothed motivational speakers go on, dressing up simple things in long-winded ways, so as to make out there’s more wisdom to it. Brendan, nobody is impressed anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Clyne - Skrtel - Sakho - Moreno

Ibe - Henderson - Coutinho - Milner

Sturridge - Benteke

Keep it simple

That could work, had something similar in mind. Sahko does play on the front foot and likes to attack the ball so we might not need Lucas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just a crazy thought I cant remember them playing playing together but what about Lovren and Sakho as a partnership. Edit (they did and both kept going for the same ball I can't remember which game thought)

Mignolet

---Clyne - Lovren- Sakho - Enrique---

-Milner- Coutinho-Henderson -Moreno-

*(
    *Firmino
    )
    Benteke
    Sturridge

*If Sturridge isn't fit play Firmnio as just behind Benteke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Just a crazy thought I cant remember them playing playing together but what about Lovren and Sakho as a partnership. Edit (they both kept going for the same ball I can't remember which game thought)

Mignolet

---Clyne - Lovren- Sakho - Enrique---

-Milner- Coutinho-Henderson -Moreno-

*(
    *Firmino
    )
    Benteke
    Sturridge

*If Sturridge isn't fit play Firmnio as just behind Benteke

now that is a serious cluster**** waiting to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Just a crazy thought

You put Lovren in your team.
    Haha, typo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Vicxas wrote: »
    Jesus, this is damning. But hard not to agree with:

http://www.football365.com/news/saturday-told-us-everything-about-you

I think he knows it's all gone Pete Tong, it's on his face and in his voice in his post match interview on Saturday night, even if he's still trotting out the same old lines.

He knows he's in a hole, he just doesn't have a notion how to climb out, so he keeps digging. Not necessarily because he's stupid, but because pressure does that to some people, they lose perspective and can't see the angles.

The best thing he could do now is take O'Driscoll and Gary Mac for a pint somewhere as private as possible, tell them he's open to any suggestions they have, and then start from there. That's not an easy thing for anyone to do, let alone someone who has painted himself into a corner the way Brendan has. He hasn't the humility for it.

You put Lovren in your team.
    Haha, typo.

If he's good enough for the manager ;)

corwill wrote: »
    The best thing he could do now is take O'Driscoll and Gary Mac for a pint somewhere as private as possible, tell them he's open to any suggestions they have, and then start from there. That's not an easy thing for anyone to do, let alone someone who has painted himself into a corner the way Brendan has.

Yep, spot on. Back to basics needed and some common sense advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Mignolet

Skrtel-Gomez-Sahko
    Clyne Moreno

Henderson OR Milner
    Countinho
    Firmino

Benteke---Ings OR Sturridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Imagine Rodgers at Spurs next season. Gas craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Why does everyone seem intent on dropping Firmino, I think in his proper position himself and Coutinho would be immense.

Yeah I don't get it, Firmino is being played OOP and people thinking he's a stiff now.
    He needs to play centrally behind the striker or front 2.
    It's up to Rodgers to work out the formation to accommodate

Benteke
    Sturridge
    Firmino
    Coutinho

Grayditch wrote: »
    Imagine Rodgers at Spurs next season. Gas craic.

Given the way Levy buys and sells, it wouldn't last.

I think he'll go abroad, because he'll be toxic for a long while in England. When the axe does fall, the media bloodbath will be stupendous. Half the press corps are on chubbies at the thoughts of it.

Sturridge - Benteke

Bench
    1. Gomez (for Skrtel/ Sakho)
    2. Can/ Lucas (for Henderson)
    3. Firmino (for Coutinho)
    4. Origi/ Ings (for Benteke)
    5. ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

SlickRic wrote: »
    RE: the XI, fair enough. I'd just never seen it on the Sky show.

On the book, he's entitled to do it. But i think we'd all prefer it wasn't about around now. And to have it in the tabloids?

It's poor timing, and he could've delayed it.

I don't think there's anything he's said that is particularly damaging to the club. Missing out on ambitious targets, Doiuf being lazy, Suarez being amazing and Rafa not referring to him as "Stevie" with a glow in his eye seems to be the extent of it.

IMO, once the player has left the club, the book is fair game. Were he still at the club, or playing at a proper level, it'd be another story.

I think every footballer book is serialised in the papers. Unlikely for his to be any different. Being the Daily Mail obv doesn't reflect well on him, but that's on a personal level, and I don't think anyone here has any sort of a personal connection with Gerrard, hence no one is really going to be affected by that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Sturridge - Benteke

Keep it simple

Keep it simple for the opposition to beat you?

Henderson would be eaten alive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

My only comment on Saturday - after 5 games, I think we were expecting maybe 7 points (2 home wins, draw at Stoke), and we have 7 points. So it's not the end of the world. Would be better if Spurs and Arsenal weren't winning either, but c'est la vie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

SlickRic wrote: »
    Milner is being asked to do a job he's not adequate for.

He doesn't control games. He never has. So when you ask him to be the midfield general, he fails. He's been set up to fail.

I'm not sure why Milner has notions of himself as a central midfielder. As you say, he doesn't have the brain to control a game. City had it right with where they were playing him. It's so obvious that he's best suited on the wing or as the spare part in a three man midfield. No team will ever worry about having to face Milner in CM.

It's amazing because you're actually crying out for a player that's comfortable playing in the wide areas at the moment. Ibe on one side and Milner on the other with Coutinho behind Benteke would provide a decent balance. Milner is a very good crosser of the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

corwill wrote: »
    The best thing he could do now is take O'Driscoll and Gary Mac for a pint somewhere as private as possible, tell them he's open to any suggestions they have, and then start from there. That's not an easy thing for anyone to do, let alone someone who has painted himself into a corner the way Brendan has. He hasn't the humility for it.
    I'd say Rodgers is the last man on earth to take advice from someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Ardent

Sturridge - Benteke

Bench
    1. Gomez (for Skrtel/ Sakho)
    2. Can/ Lucas (for Henderson)
    3. Firmino (for Coutinho)
    4. Origi/ Ings (for Benteke)
    5. ...

Ibe is clearly not first team material.

I'd say Rodgers is the last man on earth to take advice from someone else.

Sure look at that Dickinson article last year, clearly fed to him by Rodgers, about he stayed up by himself night after night, trying to find a solution to the early season crap form, resulting in the run that followed. I remember thinking at the time "Marsh and Pascoe can't be a lot of help", but now I doubt he'd ask Guardiola if they were stuck in a lift together for a night.

• Advertisement

Ardent wrote: »

Well it would be nice if we had another naturally right sided winger. Markovic anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Ardent wrote: »

Only winger we have left at the club. He came on the last day and had a go, very unlucky not to score too - brought a great save out of DeGea. He has to start the next few games imo. We need some kind of impetus with players running at the opposition. We've lost that with the departures of suarez and sterling.

I think it's obvious Rodgers would field a number 10 in every position if he could get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I think it's obvious Rodgers would field a number 10 in every position if he could get away with it.

I'd have thought that before, but not anymore. Hence why Gomez starts over Moreno

Outstanding technicians everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Last 14 league games for Liverpool - W3 D4 L7 F12 A 24 GD -12 Points 13.

I honestly think if Rodgers stays, we're in for a relegation right.

Do you know what the word honestly means? Cos I don't think it means what you think it means judging from this post. Would you care to place a wager on that statement by any chance? If rodger's stays we will be in a relegation battle? Nah didn't think so.... :rolleyes:

Rodgers will win something this year, pipe down all ye doubters.....

....He'll win the sack race.

(Another former defender of BR, can't watch players played out of position and mad loan & transfer deals any longer).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Not even sure if ill bother watching at the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Blatter wrote: »
    I'm not sure why Milner has notions of himself as a central midfielder. As you say, he doesn't have the brain to control a game. City had it right with where they were playing him. It's so obvious that he's best suited on the wing or as the spare part in a three man midfield. No team will ever worry about having to face Milner in CM.

It's amazing because you're actually crying out for a player that's comfortable playing in the wide areas at the moment. Ibe on one side and Milner on the other with Coutinho behind Benteke would provide a decent balance. Milner is a very good crosser of the ball.

Isn't it amazing how you or I can see that, plain as day, but our manager doesn't?

its cos' Milner wanted to play CM innit.

I swear, you get the feeling that Rodgers has filled the players with so much 'death by football' guff that he then confuses the hell out of them when he goes and plays the complete opposite tactics with players out of position.

They're like 'what?'

what
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Well it would be nice if we had another naturally right sided winger. Markovic anyone?

Markovic is worse than Ibe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Miglonet

Skrtel
    Sakho
    Clyne
    Moreno/Enrique

Lucas

Henderson
    Coutinho

Firmino

Benteke
    Sturridge

Easily gets the best out of our better players and I don't buy the excuse that we lack width as no matter what formation we play we lack width as we have no competent wide players.
    I'd argue that it allows us to create more 3 v 2 opportunities down the wings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'm not going to watch them for a while, can't be arsed, it just upsets me too much. They are muck and they are not getting out of this with this muppet of a manager and all his nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Ok lads, we'll see yous again when the good times roll back in, take care!

8-10 wrote: »
    Markovic is worse than Ibe

That may or may not be correct but, either way, he should have been kept as an option. Could've played against Bordeaux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Not even sure if ill bother watching at the weekend

Imagine how I feel

I'll be sat in the stands watching it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

You going again?

Is Rodgers on the way to Boston yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

See ya, mate.

• Advertisement

Bit of a comedown from other goodbyes in the SF....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

x43r0 wrote: »
    Imagine how I feel

I'll be sat in the stands watching it

It will be interesting to see what the atmosphere is like at the game. Towards the end of the Hodge era people just stopped turning up. If things don't go well against Norwich the atmosphere will turn toxic very quickly.

Just thinking about it he has been awful lucky with these stays of execution. Remember when he went bat**** crazy, playing Jones in goal, mad wingbacks, etc and it looked all over but he managed to cobble together that run of games just in the nick of time. Then the summer break followed that Stoke game to give enough time for the general anger in the fan base to subside to give him some breathing room again. He has been given incredible time and patience in the context of the modern football landscape.

Ok, so many people replied, I appreciate the concern but I was saying cheerio to the lads who can't watch no more, just to be clear. I'm in for the long haul.

Anyone that can't watch anymore during bad times isn't more than a casual fan let's face it.

I'll be watching for signs of a player willing to put their hand up and sort the mess out on the pitch. Someone to sort out the anaemic zonal defending, someone to take responsibility on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Anyone that can't watch anymore during bad times isn't more than a casual fan let's face it.

We are damb hard to watch atm though in fairness

• Advertisement

shamrock55 wrote: »
    We are damb hard to watch atm though in fairness

That's part and parcel. It's not pretty though that's for sure

If I didn't have Liverpool games to look forward to and then in turn wonder what I was looking forward to all week then I dunno how I'd fill the void.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

rarnes1 wrote: »

Difference maybe though in being fairweather and just not wanting to support the current incumbent. When things were bad under Kenny I would never have dreamed of not supporting the team. I just can't get behind this guy. I'll be watching but I wouldn't consider turning on or off a football match for 90 minutes any great show or lack of support. Would you consider season ticket holders who don't show up to the game as casual fans because they have had enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Dear Brendan,
    You have done your best.You got the best out of LS. We got a shedload of money for him.
    You brought on RS and we got a shedload of money for him.
    Well done.
    One problem you wasted both shedloads and more. Your P45 is attached.
    Thanks
    Bye.
    PS don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Why does everyone seem intent on dropping Firmino, I think in his proper position himself and Coutinho would be immense.

His proper position is as an attacking midfielder playing centrally with space. Playing Coutinho and Firmino in their best position will not work out as they both play the same position. Neither has the ability to play out wide but both are excellent attacking midfielders with similar styles. It's the same problem for Brazil. Both players, particularly Courinho, have been constantly played out of position for Brazil. They can't play in the same team and I'd imagine Firmino has been bought as cover for Coutinho along with being able to cover as a striker, although he's not really suited to playing there.

I don't know why Rodgers is fascinated with playing Milner centrally and not having any wingers players despite playing a wide 4-3-3. I think you have to play Ibe and Milner out wide. Looking at the side I think the best team is:

Mignolet
    Clyne Skrtel Sakho Gomez
    Henderson Lucas
    Ibe Coutinho Milner
    Benteke

I think the biggest problem Liverpool have is you have to play a diamond to get Sturridge, Benteke, Coutinho and two wingers on the pitch. None of those players are particularly versatile and then you're putting massive pressure on Clyne, the holding midfielder and Gomez at left back.

It's a sign of a manager who doesn't know what he's doing or doesn't know what style he wants to play. I know what my money is on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement