Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

x43r0 wrote: »
    Imagine how I feel

I'll be sat in the stands watching it

Over for the weekend or just the game? Coutinho alone will hopefully make it worth it for you.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Not sure if this was posted or not, but good article by Paul Tomkins. I know a lot here aren't fans, but this generally sums up my feelings on things, that it's just not working and is probably time to move on.

http://tomkinstimes.com/2015/09/is-it-time-for-rodgers-to-go/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Difference maybe though in being fairweather and just not wanting to support the current incumbent.

I'm a Liverpool fan.

Not a fan of the manager of Liverpool football club.

There's a big difference.

I was one who welcomed the change when Rafa went, it was managed badly. Kenny was the wrong appointment, Hodgson was a terrible choice and Rodgers was a gamble that did not work out.

One thing has to remain the same, you support your club no matter what.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Painful as I know it'll likely be, I'll still watch on Thursday and Sunday. I might switch off early in disgust as I've done in the last couple of games, but busting a blood vessel through outrage would do me no favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

I find it hard to imagine anyone who welcomed Rafa leaving as a supporter of the club. Those who drove him out, supporters like you are largely responsible for the position of the club. So you can stick your sanctimonious speach where the sun don't shine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I find it hard to imagine anyone who welcomed Rafa leaving as a supporter of the club. Those who drove him out, supporters like you are largely responsible for the position of the club. So you can stick your sanctimonious speach where the sun don't shine.

How the f*ck are supporters who didn't like Rafa in any way responsible for the status quo?

Last time I checked, not one supporter was involved in spending 35m on Andy Carroll, or signing a heap of garbage in the past 5 years, or using stupid tactics which consistently failed.

The only people responsible for the status quo are those who've worked at the club in the past number of years; both players, management and board members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd never think of stop watching. I want to be able to understand what is wrong with the team. I've always 100 things I'd rather be doing when we're 60 mins into a game with no hope, but I'm not gonna turn it off. I'd feel weird about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Anyone that can't watch anymore during bad times isn't more than a casual fan let's face it.

That may be how I'm classified. I run a business, I have two young kids, a house to do up and a wife to spend time with, not to mention playing football, golf, tennis, and getting out on the bike when I can. WTF would I be doing sitting on my arse with all the "true" supporters, wasting my precious spare time watching the absolute muck they deliver week in/week out. You can stand up there on your perches and look down on me all you want, enjoy the view, I'm pretty comfortable with my decision.

That may be how I'm classified. I run a business, I have two young kids, a house to do up and a wife to spend time with, not to mention playing football, golf, tennis, and getting out on the bike when I can. WTF would I be doing sitting on my arse with all the "true" supporters, wasting my precious spare time watching the absolute muck they deliver week in/week out. You can stand up there on your perches and look down on me all you want, enjoy the view, I'm pretty comfortable with my decision.

Yeah, but would you be watching the games if we were winning all the time like 13/14?

How the f*ck are supporters who didn't like Rafa in any way responsible for the status quo?

Last time I checked, not one supporter was involved in spending 35m on Andy Carroll, or signing a heap of garbage in the past 5 years, or using stupid tactics which consistently failed.

The only people responsible for the status quo are those who've worked at the club in the past number of years; both players, management and board members.

This is old ground but even the most diehard idiots who supported Rafa getting sacked would say in hindsight it was the wrong decision. I'm not sure how you can't make the connection between those who have influenced the club over the last number of years and Rafa leaving. They have a direct correlation if you think about it hard enough I'm sure you'll find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Over for the weekend or just the game? Coutinho alone will hopefully make it worth it for you.

Up & down on the train same day

The only potential plus is that maybe Norwich still hold some fear of us from the Suarez days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Yeah, but would you be watching the games if we were winning all the time like 13/14?

No, but when I got an opportunity to watch a game I took it and enjoyed watching i because it was good football.

To be honest, there are probably a lot of people on here who take all of this a little seriously, maybe they don't have anything else, I don't know. I'll expect various Shankly quotes in response...

This is old ground but even the most diehard idiots who supported Rafa getting sacked would say in hindsight it was the wrong decision. I'm not sure how you can't make the connection between those who have influenced the club over the last number of years and Rafa leaving. They have a direct correlation if you think about it hard enough I'm sure you'll find it.

I'll admit that when Rafa left I wasn't despairing over his departure, and in hindsight I probably should've. But to put the blame on any fan for wanting him gone at the time is wrong imo.

Rafa's departure was a big loss and it'll be a long while before we see a tactically better manager in charge of the club. But the decisions taken in the years following did more to cause the club's regression than Rafa leaving.

No, but when I got an opportunity to watch a game I took it and enjoyed watching i because it was good football.

To be honest, there are probably a lot of people on here who take all of this a little seriously, maybe they don't have anything else, I don't know. I'll expect various Shankly quotes in response...

Fair enough, but I would still call you a casual fan, not that there's anything wrong with it in your case.

I think people on here just feel an immense attachment to football and especially Liverpool. What happens to the club doesn't affect my life at all, but of all the sports and teams I follow, Liverpool is the only one that can make a sh*t day a brilliant one simply by winning a game. It might sound a bit sad, but when you've followed the club for more than half your life (easy for me as I'm quite young) it becomes more than just a game or just a sports team.

Maybe other people feel this way and maybe they don't, but that's my 2 cents.

I'll admit that when Rafa left I wasn't despairing over his departure, and in hindsight I probably should've. But to put the blame on any fan for wanting him gone at the time is wrong imo.

Rafa's departure was a big loss and it'll be a long while before we see a tactically better manager in charge of the club. But the decisions taken in the years following did more to cause the club's regression than Rafa leaving.

Why, if you look back at that decision in the cold light of day, it was ****ing mental. One bad season after all he had built and achieved. We should have been out marching to save him. The majority of fans in the stadium were distraught but the sky generation ****ed stabbed him in the back along with the ***** in the media in England who couldn't wait to fuel the fire of his demise. That decision has been the biggest reason for the clubs decline.

This is how people who know what support means felt.
    There are a lot of things I hate about the beautiful game; our ugly, flawed, gratuitous, imperfect beautiful game.

I hate clubs charge nearly £60 for 90 minutes of football and that our own club isn’t much better. I hate when fans still expect tickets to be a fiver while singing the name of their £20million striker.

I hate electronic turnstiles, electronic scoreboards and video screens. I hate pies. I hate the Upper Centenary and the fact it’s called the Upper Centenary. I hate Football Manager, Championship Manager, Fantasy Football and Wigan Athletic.

I hate fans who dress up as Elvis, Superman and Budgie the Little Helicopter. I hate fans who dress in Henleys and emit the cry of the Neanderthal any time the referee blows his whistle.

I hate inane punditry. I hate Alan Shearer and his crimes against fashion telling me that he passed it there, shot there and it’s a goal. I literally hate Jamie Redknapp and his tight, testicle-twisting trousers. Literally. I hate Gary Neville for talking more sense than both combined.

I hate Robbie Savage, Tim Cahill, Rio Ferdinand, David Moyes, Kiki Musampa and Garth Crooks, not to mention Emmanuel Adebayor, Scott Parker and the entire population of Middlesbrough. I hate Patrice Evra, Darren Fletcher, Rio Ferdinand and Phil Jones. I despise Rio Ferdinand.

I hate a fair portion of the media and those who think the entire media is corrupt, biased or full of liars. I hate bloggers who think they’re journalists because they can open up WordPress; I hate journalists who think they’re bloggers because they have a Twitter page.

I hate football managers and their droopy faces, so reminiscent of a mashed-up Echo left in the gutter on a rainy November morning. I hate how they dangle their faces out of their expensive cars, links themselves with every striker available in world football and pander to the media in order to secure the England job. I hate the England job.

I hate Roy Hodgson. I hate Manchester United fans who sit upon their high horse while that same horse tramples on dignity and decent human behaviour. I hate the fact Goodison Park has an escalator. I hate Goodison Park.

But there’s one thing I hate more than any of that.

After any defeat, be it big, small or insignificant, there’s always one person who stays behind as the Kop disperses onto buses and into pubs. They sit there long after the final sounds of disappointed applause dissipates into the night; they sit there shortly before the stewards get ready for their post-match operation.

Television, naturally, picks up on this. It’s been viewed so many times. A perfect end to the narrative. The full stop; the final scene. The heartbreak and despair of the sport encapsulated in one shot of a supporter, head in hands, unable to move. The aftermath is poignant for some, hilarious for most.

I’ve never understood it. I never want to understand it. A little over 18 months ago, I became everything I hated.

For 120 minutes, I stood on the Kop watching Liverpool’s next stroll into another European final. Hamburg.The Reeperbahn. Another anecdote to tell; another memory for the scrapbook.

Fifteen minutes after Diego Forlan ended Liverpool’s Europa League hopes, I was still sitting down. Numbness hit.

I loved a lot of things about football.

I loved watching my club take on Europe’s titans; better still, I loved watching those titans demolished by our own. Each victory another verse in Liverpool Football Club’s epic.

I loved the enthusiasm from opposing fans when we entered backdoor bars. I loved answering questions about Istanbul, Steven Gerrard and You’ll Never Walk Alone. I loved Barcelona, Madrid, Milan, Porto and Eindhoven.

I loved sharing these moments with friends. I loved sharing hotel rooms and airport lounges with them; I loved that eight-man round, even if it did cost the same price as my flight.

I loved Anfield and how it transformed when the floodlights radiated and Zadok the Priest reverberated. I loved how the buzz along Walton Breck Road carried the crowd like a conveyor belt towards the ground. I loved being one solitary brick in that wall of noise.

I loved watching Cannavaro, Zanetti, Ronaldinho, Ibrahimovic, Del Piero and Messi. I loved watching Gerrard, Carragher, Hyypia, Luis Garcia, Alonso, Mascherano, Agger, Kuyt.

I loved Rafael Benitez.

Rooted to the plastic red seat, I stared at the empty Anfield pitch. The floodlights started to dim, the reverberations eased. Everything I loved was slowly decaying; everything I hated was strengthening.

I knew defeat to Atletico Madrid would signal the end of Rafael Benitez as Liverpool manager. I knew some would be given what they wanted.

Rafa’s influence at Liverpool stretched far beyond football. Far more important than the 2-1 win at Camp Nou was the night before, crammed into a bar eating tapas and drinking sangria until the early hours; far better than beating Milan, Real Madrid or PSV were the moments around that – the moments still talked about to this day.

More than any trophy, signing or 90 minute lesson in football management, Rafa gave us experiences we still remember and allegiances we still cherish. Rafa keeps giving, too – this time away from football. This time, he and his wife Montse give to the city of Liverpool through the Montse Benitez Foundation; they give themselves as fine ambassadors to the city.

That is why I’m angered when I see anything uncomplimentary written about Rafael Benitez. To debate his merits as a manager is fine. To debate the impact he has had on the city of Liverpool, both during and after his time as manager, is foolhardy at best and ignorant at worst.

Hate is a strong word. It should be reserved for only those who have harmed this football club, its supporters and the city.

Redknapp, Shearer, escalators at Goodison Park and all the other aforementioned items are not targets of hate, just a mild irritant to the landscape mentioned with tongue planted in cheek.

But I do intensely dislike those who felt the need to force Rafael Benitez out of Anfield; I feel an intense dislike for those who still don’t appreciate what he does. I dislike the fact some see a European Cup, an FA Cup and countless fantastic nights as a failure; I dislike it when those people don’t realise that Rafa’s legacy is a lot more than that.

I hated the fact I couldn’t tell him this in person as a supporter of Liverpool Football Club.

That was until he walked through the door of Parr Street during The Anfield Wrap’s 10th podcast.

I’d met Rafa before, both personally and professionally, when he was Liverpool manager. This time, I was meeting him as a supporter; this time, I could thank him for everything he did for Liverpool Football Club and the city of Liverpool.

He greeted us all with a warm smile – a smile some in the press told us never existed. It did exist. It existed at Istanbul and Cardiff. It existed at Old Trafford when Andrea Dossena put his side 4-1 up; a carbon copy of the smile four days earlier when Real Madrid were demolished at Anfield.

I used to argue I would rather have the cold steel of a European Cup rather than a warm smile. I now realised they were not mutually exclusive.

He sat down and spoke passionately about his football and his charity. He listened to those he sat with; he answered questions from both journalists and supporters. By the end of the podcast, there was no distinction: it was no longer a host, a few journalists, some fans and Rafael Benitez on the Anfield Wrap podcast; it was eight Liverpool supporters talking football with each other.

As he left, I shook his hand. I wanted to say thank you for Olympiakos, Juventus, Istanbul, Cardiff, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Old Trafford and the countless wins over Chelsea and Everton. I wanted to say thank you for the work both him and Montse were doing for the city.

I wanted to say thank you for speaking out against Hicks and Gillett and putting the club and supporters ahead of himself; thank him for being the glue of my hefty mental scrapbook bulging with moments from his time in charge, shared with people I consider great friends. I wanted to thank him for making our ugly, flawed, gratuitous, imperfect beautiful game just that little bit more beautiful for us.

I shook his hand, placed an arm upon his shoulder and uttered: “Cheers Rafa” before walking away. An opportunity missed.

I just cling to the hope Rafa knew, as he looked me in the eye, why I was saying thanks. He always did have fine attention for detail, after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I'm not going to watch them for a while, can't be arsed, it just upsets me too much. They are muck and they are not getting out of this with this muppet of a manager and all his nonsense.

Man you seem to be getting in a bit of a muddle.

Nobody is on any perch, believe me.

It's a matter of fact that certain fans are more passionate than others and will watch more games etc.

The amount of Liverpool fans that appeared out of the woodwork when we challenged for the league confirmed some will following when we are doing well and fall away when we are doing poor. Same goes for most clubs I'd say. Utd Moyes season springs to mind.

Trust me you're not the only one with a family and hobbies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Nobody is on any perch, believe me.

It's a matter of fact that certain fans are more passionate than others and will watch more games etc.

The amount of Liverpool fans that appeared out of the woodwork when we challenged for the league confirmed some will following when we are doing well and fall away when we are doing poor. Same goes for most clubs I'd say. Utd Moyes season springs to mind.

Trust me you're not the only one with a family and hobbies!

Happens in everything, Rugby is the big thing at the moment. Look at AI Final tickets etc.

I dont think you have to watch every game to be a massive fan. Everyone coped ok in the 80's 90's before streaming. Watching games doesnt make you more passionate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

His time was up as was Houllier's, as was Kenny's and when Rodgers goes so will his. Rafa had a bad last season after finishing 2nd just like Rodgers, morale was low and it looks like history has repeated itself. The problem with sacking Rafa was replacing him with Hodgson, I had no issue with Rafa going we needed fresh ideas. That squad still had, Gerrard, Agger, Kuyt, Reina, Carra, Mascherano and Torres all players that would stroll into the current first XI, finishing 7th with that was a huge failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It's only 90 minutes a week most weeks. There is plenty of time to do other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Do you think Rafa would have spent that money on Andy Carroll regardless of what Comolli or a transfer committee etc advised? Not a chance.

Anyone who wanted Rafa out and Hodgson in (there were plenty around though few now admit it) is some what to blame for the slide that happened since his departure. Because of those "supporters", Hicks and Gillette were able to sack Rafa because of alleged football reasons when it was obviously purely to make their lives as absentee landlords a lot easier. Rafa's time at LFC may well have been up but trusting that H&G would replace him with a superior manager was ludicrous.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Happens in everything, Rugby is the big thing at the moment. Look at AI Final tickets etc.

I dont think you have to watch every game to be a massive fan. Everyone coped ok in the 80's 90's before streaming. Watching games doesnt make you more passionate.

Probably helped we were winning a lot in the 80's..

The radio was pre streaming. 5live was a good way to follow live games. Liverpool used to get a fair share of radio games.

Do you think Rafa would have spent that money on Andy Carroll regardless of what Comolli or a transfer committee etc advised? Not a chance.

To be fair, Rafa wasn't immune from spending chunks of cash on garbage. 20m for Aquilani springs to mind as an example.

rob316 wrote: »
    His time was up as was Houllier's, as was Kenny's and when Rodgers goes so will his. Rafa had a bad last season after finishing 2nd just like Rodgers, morale was low and it looks like history has repeated itself. The problem with sacking Rafa was replacing him with Hodgson, I had no issue with Rafa going we needed fresh ideas. That squad still had, Gerrard, Agger, Kuyt, Reina, Carra, Mascherano and Torres all players that would stroll into the current first XI, finishing 7th with that was a huge failure.

I honestly find you logic beyond comprehension. I just quietly walk away from 'fans' I meet irl that spout this stuff so I'm going to do the same here.

To be fair, Rafa wasn't immune from spending chunks of cash on garbage. 20m for Aquilani springs to mind as an example.

That was it though. When he spent big his got some great players.

• Advertisement

Rodgers and Rafa shouldn't be compared, chalk and cheese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

There's a difference between 20m and 4m + add ons.

If we were in a position where we could actually spend that amount on players I don't think Rafa would've gone for as many punts as he did.

He wasted a lot of money but the brief Gillette and Hicks gave him was to make a silk purse out of a sows ear - CL football without spending anything.

You can argue he didn't make the most of his budget, but I think you can also argue that he had a lot more to offer than the club at the time was capable of facilitating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I wouldn't listen to anyone on here giving you stick about not being a real fan because you can't watch awful performances every week. These are the 'fans' who had no problem posting on the Hillsborough anniversary even though they were asked to show respect and not to post for that significant date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Forget Aquilaini Rafa wanting to sell Alonso to Juve to get Barry from Villa was a way worse decision. It resulted in a poor relationship between the two of them & probably the main reason Alonso left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Clyne - Skrtel - Sakho - Moreno

Ibe - Henderson - Coutinho - Milner

Sturridge - Benteke

Keep it simple

Clyne - Gomez - Sakho - Moreno

Ibe - Henderson - Coutinho - Milner

Sturridge - Benteke

That would do, though I'm not convinced by Ibe.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't listen to anyone on here giving you stick about not being a real fan because you can't watch awful performances every week. These are the 'fans' who had no problem posting on the Hillsborough anniversary even though they were asked to show respect and not to post for that significant date.

leowtf.gif

MD1990 wrote: »
    Forget Aquilaini Rafa wanting to sell Alonso to Juve to get Barry from Villa was a way worse decision. It resulted in a poor relationship between the two of them & probably the main reason Alonso left.

Alonso had his best season after that though didn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Alonso had his best season after that though didn't he?
    Yes but it resulted in him wanting to leave & for only 30m too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Yes but it resulted in him wanting to leave & for only 30m too.

Rafa >>>>>>> Alonso, so it's all moot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Read recently that Rafa actually expected real to come in for Alonso a year earlier than they did and was trying to plan for the inevitable by getting Barry in.

Now imagine if had the foresight to realise that Suarez would be going to Barcelona yet we prepared for same by bringing in a top class striker thus not getting rode when actually trying to replace Suarez with a load of donkeys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

There's some serious rewriting of history going on over this.

Yes, Rafa looking to sell Alonso for the right price soured their relationship to an extent, but Alonso was on the back of the two worst seasons of his career, with a rake of injuries. Just look back through posts on here from that time and you'll find plenty talking about how a move to Juve might be what he needs to rejuvenate his career.

He stayed, had the best season of his career, and then left.

Now, the main reason he left wasn't because of the previous season's shenanigans - it was because Real Madrid came in and asked him to be the midfield general of their team. Rafa and Alonso could have had the best relationship in the world, none of that Barry stuff could have ever happened, and Alonso would still have gone to Real Madrid because they're Real Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I watch games and comment on boards at the same time...

We still haven't replaced Alonso. Scandalous tbh considering the cash we've spent since

We still haven't replaced Alonso. Scandalous tbh considering the cash we've spent since

Almost as bad is how little we've actually tried to replace him. We keep buying the same type of all action midfielder rather than going of a range of options. The fact that Allen is about the only guy remotely like this that we've signed is not good.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Read recently that Rafa actually expected real to come in for Alonso a year earlier than they did and was trying to plan for the inevitable by getting Barry in.

Can you link that please

Now imagine if had the foresight to realise that Suarez would be going to Barcelona yet we prepared for same by bringing in a top class striker thus not getting rode when actually trying to replace Suarez with a load of donkeys

Nope, read it 10 times, can't make head nor tail of it, are there words missing or something?

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Yes, Rafa looking to sell Alonso for the right price soured their relationship to an extent, but Alonso was on the back of the two worst seasons of his career, with a rake of injuries. Just look back through posts on here from that time and you'll find plenty talking about how a move to Juve might be what he needs to rejuvenate his career.

Now, the main reason he left wasn't because of the previous season's shenanigans - it was because Real Madrid came in and asked him to be the midfield general of their team. Rafa and Alonso could have had the best relationship in the world, none of that Barry stuff could have ever happened, and Alonso would still have gone to Real Madrid because they're Real Madrid.

Plus it was a World Cup year and alonso knew he wouldn't be making the side playing in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The only two set ups I can see working with the players we have is 352 or a diamond. Id much prefer option 2. One thing is for sure we dont have the players for a 433.
    mig
    gomez skrtel sakho
    clyne milner coutinho hendo moreno
    sturridge benteke

Mig
    clyne skrtel sakho moreno
    hendo
    milner coutinho
    firmino
    sturridge benteke

Assuming firmino is any good as I havent seen any evidence of it yet. Coutinho is very good in that position as he was in the suarez season. Moreno or enrique has to play LB in that formation . I think Hendo could be a good DM he covers the ground quickly can switch the play and gets on the half turn much better than lucas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

You have literally no perspective, that much is clear. That carry on about "supporters like you..." is a damning illustration of your own overly emotional, illogical thought process.

The clubs position is currently based on a long series of problems. The failure of the Moores to invest in the infrastructure of the club when times were good and their faltering business acumen or the failure to adapt to the changing game in the 90s. The poorly managed sale of the club to literally the worst owners possible under the circumstance leading to yet more lack of investment and debt loading. The inability of the club not to "go to the well" and make populist moves lie re-instating Kenny, the poorly managed hiring of Rodgers which now looks like a cheap bet etc..in fact you could argue the decline set in as we won our last league championship, but no...you think it was a section of the fans daring to have an opinion that Benitez' time had come. I'm afraid some of us aren't interested in sacred cows, when it is time it is time and his time had come.

You don't get to decide who a fan is or who a fan is not, you don't get to rewrite history and neither do those who swear blind allegiance to Rafa and don't accept any criticism. He was a good manager, but ultimately his failure to add some quality (not riera, not babel etc) in wide areas might just have cost the last good Liverpool team to leave the stage without a league title. His time had come, that causes some pain for some people as it hints at the overall decline of the club rather than just the myth of the decline of the club after sacking Rafa. The rot started 20 years before that. Rafa was a great manager, but like all great managers, his time came and he had to go. His last team was stale and uninspired and he made expensive mistakes trying to fix that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

In the minority here clearly but wanting Rodgers out and talking about the one manager who will not be replacing him is making things even more depressing.
    Klopp all the way.
    Interested (IMO)
    Available.
    Experienced.
    Hungry.
    Clean slate with FSG.
    Makes perfect sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

5starpool wrote: »
    Not sure if this was posted or not, but good article by Paul Tomkins. I know a lot here aren't fans, but this generally sums up my feelings on things, that it's just not working and is probably time to move on.

http://tomkinstimes.com/2015/09/is-it-time-for-rodgers-to-go/
    It's probably a fair assessment.
    brevity wrote: »
    I watch games and comment on boards at the same time...
    I know what a tracker mortgage is....
    You have literally no perspective, that much is clear. That carry on about "supporters like you..." is a damning illustration of your own overly emotional, illogical thought process.

The clubs position is currently based on a long series of problems. The failure of the Moores to invest in the infrastructure of the club when times were good and their faltering business acumen or the failure to adapt to the changing game in the 90s. The poorly managed sale of the club to literally the worst owners possible under the circumstance leading to yet more lack of investment and debt loading. The inability of the club not to "go to the well" and make populist moves lie re-instating Kenny, the poorly managed hiring of Rodgers which now looks like a cheap bet etc..in fact you could argue the decline set in as we won our last league championship, but no...you think it was a section of the fans daring to have an opinion that Benitez' time had come. I'm afraid some of us aren't interested in sacred cows, when it is time it is time and his time had come.

You don't get to decide who a fan is or who a fan is not, you don't get to rewrite history and neither do those who swear blind allegiance to Rafa and don't accept any criticism. He was a good manager, but ultimately his failure to add some quality (not riera, not babel etc) in wide areas might just have cost the last good Liverpool team to leave the stage without a league title. His time had come, that causes some pain for some people as it hints at the overall decline of the club rather than just the myth of the decline of the club after sacking Rafa. The rot started 20 years before that. Rafa was a great manager, but like all great managers, his time came and he had to go. His last team was stale and uninspired and he made expensive mistakes trying to fix that.
    I just wanted to thank this again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Just for the record, I don't believe Rafa's time had come. Especially when considering who was lined up to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

~Rebel~ wrote: »

I met one of Alonso's friends in San Sebastian, not long after he left and he told me that Alonso was actually upset at having to leave Liverpool.

Mumha wrote: »
    I met one of Alonso's friends in San Sebastian, not long after he left and he told me that Alonso was actually upset at having to leave Liverpool.

That doesn't really tie in too much with what actually happened though, particularly all the stuff about Alonso really wanting to raise his young kid in Spain.

Also being sad/upset at leaving your home of 5 years isn't the same as not wanting to leave.

I found this post mostly hilarious, genuinely. It had so many levels. You spend half the post telling me I have no business telling anyone what it means to be a fan yet the post from you I originally took issue with was doing exactly this? You accuse me of being emotional, illogical yet you claim to be a supporter you should treat it like a religion, support the club with blind faith, the leader is good, the leader is great. You seem quite a mixed up fellow full of contradictions :)

His time had come? Why because of one bad season. Rafa is a manager you build around for decades. It is crazy watching the succession of managers go through football clubs trying to find someone that fits that people like you still don't realise that when you get a good one like Rafa, you work through the hard days, give support when times are tough. Why? Because that is what you do for a man who lived and breathed the club. A man who brought success, a man with a proven track record to back, a man who had us as the best club side in the world. This is support. When someone gives you something to believe in when things get tough you remember what this guy has given you and you support him back in his dark days. Yeah but instead when Rafa needed the fans we had fans like you, his time had come.

**** you and your ilk and your revisionism. I was robbed of seeing Rafa turn this club into a super power again and I'm very bitter about it, rightly so imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Mumha wrote: »

This place never ceases to amaze me.

Well! I met a friend of Messi's and he said he wanted to join Liverpool but when Rafa left he changed his mind!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement