Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Til all be grand when Ancellkloppi takes over! Grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Players should be banned from bringing out books until they are retired from the game for at least five years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Knex. wrote: »
    One extract that I laughed at from Gerrard's book was when he said if he was ever manager of Liverpool, he'd have Carra as his assistant.

I can't say I'd ever want to see that day, personally, but if it did happen, I'd be hoping it was the other way around.

Cannot imagine Gerrard having the brain to be a successful manager. The game is littered with chancers and spoofers, the likes of Paul Ince and Roy Keane who think that by virtue of them having successful playing careers, that it stands to reason they will be great managers. It doesn't. Its a completely different skillset.

I could well imagine Keane for instance looking down his nose at the likes of Eddie Howe who had a far less illustrious playing career, wondering how the hell someone like that is managing in the EPL and he's not.

Tony Adams is another one. Carragher and Neville aside (who lives and breathes the game), I think alot of these high profile current and ex pro footballers look at games (if they do even look at other games that don't involve themselves or their own club/country) in a very one dimensional way.

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Til all be grand when Ancellkloppi takes over! Grand.

Didn't see this in the last few pages, maybe it's old and/or irrelevant news to Pool fans but just seen the quote myself earlier...

"Had they asked before the season, I am 99 percent sure that he would have joined them. Many people say that he will take over Bayern on July 1, 2016, but I don't know whether he's a fit there. He'd be a great fit at Liverpool."

If Didi is just going with his gut, then it means f**k all, but is it outside the realms of possibility that these two talk from time to time? I honestly don't know.

Full article courtesy of ESPN; http://www.espnfc.com/liverpool/story/2611369/jurgen-klopp-backed-for-liverpool-manager-job-by-hamann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'd love to go on the absolute lash with Didi. Be a great laugh.

Throw Fowler and McAteer into the mix too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

stankratz wrote: »
    Stop living in the past! :pac: Not a soaps man and I'm not quite sure what I did to pass the time, I just remember being at a serious loss.

On topic; What are you guys' feelings on the Europa league this year? Is it something Liverpool should be striving to do well in, or do you see it more as a league distraction? I.M.O. the tournament gets a worst rep than it deserves, and I would have liked to see United make more of an effort in it a few years ago that time we got rightfully catapulted out of the C.L. group stages into it. Even in the season of Moyes, some fans were happy to finish 7th and stay clear of it, but I think big clubs should be competing in Europe one way or another. At the least to maintain the club's profile in Europe and to keep the squad attuned to playing 2 games a week.

That said though, the fact that they are Thursday night games aren't ideal for the following weekend's league match.

Personally, (and I find I'm usually in a minority when I say this), I get really pissed off that English clubs don't give the Europa a go. It's part of the reason England's coefficient has struggled and could be overtaken by Italy in a season or two, costing England that 4th Champions League spot.

But, more to the point, most teams get to compete in 2-3 trophies and winning those (or coming close) is what football is all about IMO. Sure, you want to gamble on playing at the top level in the CL and not having Europa might help that, but it might also make no difference and I know that away trips to France, Italy, Spain, etc are more memorable than finishing 5th. When you have so few chances to win silverware, it's a real shame to give up on one because it's inconvenient. Look at Sevilla, Atletico and Chelsea winning in the last few seasons - did they regret it? Doubtful!

Plus, since the winner of the EL qualifies for the CL now, I don't think anyone has an excuse to not give it a go. Teams like Liverpool (Ill get slaughtered for this wont I?), Tottenham, Everton, etc. can't spend every single season hoping to get to the next level. They have to try excel at the level they're at and for Liverpool, that's currently the Europa. In fact, for most of the last 5 years it has been.

Look at Sevilla - a club which pushed themselves in the Europa, will play CL football this season and are probably at their best ever level. They have developed a European legacy in a decade!! Because they tried... Pool have a proud history in the UEFA Cup which they sh*t all over when they don't try in the Europa. Spurs too.

And as for the Thursday-Sunday not being ideal... How is it different to Wednesday-Saturday? And people will usually point to long away trips too - this season United have to travel to Moscow, Chelsea to Israel and Ukraine and Arsenal to Croatia. The long trips are still there!

UEFA can improve the EL if they stop letting the CL 3rd place teams into it and throw a bit more prize money at it. It's not hard. There are already half a dozen big names in there this season that fans should want to watch - Liverpool, Spurs, Schalke, Dortmund, Basel, Napoli, Ajax, Villareal, Sporting, Bilbao, Marseille, Lazio, Fiorentina, Monaco, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

How many people at the club have even played under Benitez? Lucas and Skrtel - isn't that it? How many of the current players even give a stuff about Balotelli?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I forsee us trying hard in the Europa, but looking like we're not trying in the Europa. Basically the way the Champion's League went last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

UEFA can improve the EL if they stop letting the CL 3rd place teams into it and throw a bit more prize money at it.

This !!!

No real incentive for the teams to battle through 2-3 qualifying rounds and the group stages, to then have 8 better (at least in theory) teams parachuted in from the CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

How many people at the club have even played under Benitez? Lucas and Skrtel - isn't that it? How many of the current players even give a stuff about Balotelli?

How many of the current squad would Benitez start in one of his teams?

• Advertisement

Personally, (and I find I'm usually in a minority when I say this), I get really pissed off that English clubs don't give the Europa a go. It's part of the reason England's coefficient has struggled and could be overtaken by Italy in a season or two, costing England that 4th Champions League spot.

But, more to the point, most teams get to compete in 2-3 trophies and winning those (or coming close) is what football is all about IMO. Sure, you want to gamble on playing at the top level in the CL and not having Europa might help that, but it might also make no difference and I know that away trips to France, Italy, Spain, etc are more memorable than finishing 5th. When you have so few chances to win silverware, it's a real shame to give up on one because it's inconvenient. Look at Sevilla, Atletico and Chelsea winning in the last few seasons - did they regret it? Doubtful!

Plus, since the winner of the EL qualifies for the CL now, I don't think anyone has an excuse to not give it a go. Teams like Liverpool (Ill get slaughtered for this wont I?), Tottenham, Everton, etc. can't spend every single season hoping to get to the next level. They have to try excel at the level they're at and for Liverpool, that's currently the Europa. In fact, for most of the last 5 years it has been.

Look at Sevilla - a club which pushed themselves in the Europa, will play CL football this season and are probably at their best ever level. They have developed a European legacy in a decade!! Because they tried... Pool have a proud history in the UEFA Cup which they sh*t all over when they don't try in the Europa. Spurs too.

And as for the Thursday-Sunday not being ideal... How is it different to Wednesday-Saturday? And people will usually point to long away trips too - this season United have to travel to Moscow, Chelsea to Israel and Ukraine and Arsenal to Croatia. The long trips are still there!

UEFA can improve the EL if they stop letting the CL 3rd place teams into it and throw a bit more prize money at it. It's not hard. There are already half a dozen big names in there this season that fans should want to watch - Liverpool, Spurs, Schalke, Dortmund, Basel, Napoli, Ajax, Villareal, Sporting, Bilbao, Marseille, Lazio, Fiorentina, Monaco, etc.

1. Yep. No matter what trophy, I would like to see the team I support compete to the best of their ability on all fronts.

2. Is it a set rule that all teams who play in the E.L. on Thursdays get to play their domestic games on the Sunday? I honestly don't know. If so, you're right, no difference at all.

3. UEFA don't do many favours for the competition, an example of which is them offering it to the 3rd place C.L. teams as a 'consolation' of sorts. It definitely contributes to the negative connotations that surround the tournament I.M.O.

1. Yep. No matter what trophy, I would like to see the team I support compete to the best of their ability on all fronts.

2. Is it a set rule that all teams who play in the E.L. on Thursdays get to play their domestic games on the Sunday? I honestly don't know. If so, you're right, no difference at all.

3. UEFA don't do many favours for the competition, an example of which is them offering it to the 3rd place C.L. teams as a 'consolation' of sorts. It definitely contributes to the negative connotations that surround the tournament I.M.O.

I think Sunday is the earliest teams in England will play. Could be on a Monday too, though Sunday tends to be the most common for teams who play EL on a Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The thing with this is that most of these parachuted 3rd place teams tend not to do well in the competition. 4 out of the last 5 Europa League winners (Chelsea being the exclusion) were in the competition from the start.

It's clear that it's a consolation to them and they don't usually take it very seriously.

I'll agree with you though that it devalues the tournament a fair bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jordon Ibe commits to England.

As for Bordeaux - Sakho, Boggers, Origi and Moreno look set to start. I'd say Coutinho will as well.

Resting Lovren for the Norwich game then.

Jordon Ibe commits to England.

As for Bordeaux - Sakho, Boggers, Origi and Moreno look set to start. I'd say Coutinho will as well.

Genuine question for anyone who might watch French football...

Will a half-strength team be good enough to beat Bordeaux? I've not seen them play in years.

Actually, if our half-strength side includes Sakho, Moreno and Coutinho, it might be stronger than our first team...

French teams are fairly defensive nowadays. If we don't show any improvement with regards to breaking down teams and creating chances, then no, we won't beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Anyone heard Diouf's response to Gerrard's autobiography? It's absolutely brilliant.
    “It’s common knowledge. Gerrard has never liked black people. When I was at Liverpool, I showed him I was black, that I wasn’t English, but that I'm no pushover. All the time I was there, he never dared looked me in the eye.”

And that's not all
    He Told Senegal's Radio Futur Media: "Gerrard is just jealous of me. He hasn't achieved what I have done in football.
    "I arrived at Liverpool with the status of a big boss, and he just lived there. I am respected throughout world football.
    "The greatest experts in the game have declared me one of the seven best players at a World Cup, and among the 100 best players of the century. There are lots of great players who are not on these lists.
    "Everywhere I go away from my homeland people worship me - while Gerrard will get abuse whenever he leaves his home city of Liverpool.

Bordeaux are slumbering 12th in the League and they are missing some important players.

Touré, Plašil, Sertic, Sané, and Diabaté are all out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

SlickRic wrote: »
    It's all about him.

As wonderful as he was for us, it is about him.

I remember watching the Fantasy Football show once, and he was asked to pick a team made up of the best players he'd ever played with.

He picked himself in midfield. I don't think I've ever seen anyone else do it.

It's ridiculous that this book is out now, and it's being serialised.

Don't know if it matters but he strolls into a best 11 of players HE has played with imo. Dunno if the same can be said of the other players who were on this show.
    As for people who don't seem to grasp the concept of it only being 5 games into the season, rather claiming it is 4 seasons with nothing to show blah blah blah. The idea is that during the summer was the time when FSG had to really think about whether or not to keep on rodgers or to try get someone else in. That is the time for the arguments regarding his previous tenure with us. They made the decision to stick with him and back him accordingly in the transfer market and with his backroom staff. We are now 5 games into the season since that decision was made!! Why is this such a tough concept to grasp? Do you people really think FSG put no thought into replacing rodgers during the summer and now that we have lost two games in a row would be the first time they thought of it? Incredulous. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

How many of the current squad would Benitez start in one of his teams?

Coutinho and Benteke. Clyne at a push although Arbeloa was very solid. Hopefully Firmino can start showing his obvious talent and he could be included but that's it. Midfield wouldn't get near Alonso or Mascherano.

I don't agree with the claim that this is the worst squad in a while, people have very short memories if they think that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I genuinely don't see any indication that FSG will be looking to sell the club any time soon, tbh.
    I think FFP coming to nothing could sway them toward selling in the next few years. They saw that as a chance to compete but with owners allowed to bankroll to their hearts content again they may decide to get out sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

rob316 wrote: »
    Coutinho and Benteke. Clyne at a push although Arbeloa was very solid. Hopefully Firmino can start showing his obvious talent and he could be included but that's it. Midfield wouldn't get near Alonso or Mascherano.

I don't agree with the claim that this is the worst squad in a while, people have very short memories if they think that.

We've had much worse midfields in the past imo.

Central defence has been sh*te ever since Carra and Hyypia retired, but Agger was still much better than any of our current CB's. Reina had some moments, but he was still better than Mig I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

rob316 wrote: »

I don't think they are a bad group of players, I just think it's badly put together. Good ingredients, bad recipe.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't see us making more than 3/4 changes on Thursday. If we make wholesale changes and get beaten I think the crowd could actually reach breaking point and vent frustration at Rodgers. It's subdued discontent at the minute and can be recovered from, but it's close to breaking. 4 home wins on the spin against supposedly weaker opposition is just what he needs.

The major issue with our squad of players is they are not being used to their strengths by the manager and haven't been for a long time.

Goalkeeper is decent

Rightback is top class

The 4 CB's range from very good to average.

Leftback solid

The midfield is solid

The attacking midfield could be very top class

Strikers Benteke and Sturridge top class.

With the right manager this squad of players playing to their strengths could very easily challenge for 3rd or 4th season in season out.

brevity wrote: »
    I don't think they are a bad group of players, I just think it's badly put together. Good ingredients, bad recipe.

We need some of this

Keith-Floyd3-300x247.jpg

Knowing that Klopp has never really signed or sold a player, and it was all left up to a DoF, how comfortable are people with him signing and the transfer committee remaining?

The major issue with our squad of players is they are not being used to their strengths by the manager and haven't been for a long time.

Goalkeeper is decent

Rightback is top class

Leftback solid

The midfield is solid

The attacking midfield could be very top class

Strikers Benteke and Sturridge top class.

With the right manager this squad of players playing to their strengths could very easily challenge for 3rd or 4th season in season out.

I don't think we are strong enough in goal or at left back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Knowing that Klopp has never really signed or sold a player, and it was all left up to a DoF, how comfortable are people with him signing and the transfer committee remaining?
    If they worked together I wouldn't have a problem with it.
    Ie Klopp says he needs this type of player, and the commitee goes out and buys it, not just random players they like the look/value of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Bordeaux are slumbering 12th in the League and they are missing some important players.

Touré, Plašil, Sertic, Sané, and Diabaté are all out

Home win it is so ....

RayCon wrote: »
    Home win it is so ....

Well I think that's what we're all hoping for, yes.

5starpool wrote: »
    I don't think we are strong enough in goal or at left back.

You could add central midfield and wide players as well but there is a solid squad there.

The biggest weakness right now is the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

if you have aspirations to be manager of a club then leave your book till after that occurs (if) ,spilling stories now is pretty stupid imo,it could have waited years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Really???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

A team of the last 10 years would probably be:

Reina

Finnan Carra Hyypia Riise

Mascherano Alonso

Kuyt Gerrard Suarez

Torres

Only 4 played under BR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

if you have aspirations to be manager of a club then leave your book till after that occurs (if) ,spilling stories now is pretty stupid imo,it could have waited years.

It's ****ing classless is what it is.

kfallon wrote: »
    Really???

Sakho is a very good defender Skrtel is a good defender Lovren is an ok defender and Toure at his age is an average defender.

So a CB range from very good to average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Well, FSG originally wanted a DoF over a head coach. Would depend on who the DoF is.

I'd like to see Cortese, ex-Southampton, arrive in some capacity (not a DoF, I know, but seemed to know what he was doing).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Sakho is a very good defender Skrtel is a good defender Lovren is an ok defender and Toure at his age is an average defender.

So a CB range from very good to average.

Sakho could be decent, Touré was very good in his day, the other two are stink!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

You have to respect a manager that sticks to his philosophy , no matter how bad we were under Hodgson he stuck to what he has always done. Rodgers on the other hand is trying everything at the moment to get a result, I would rather we go out and play attacking football and press the opposition than concede possession and play 4-5
    1 .

Who is influencing Rodgers????? I fear these new coaches are ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's ****ing classless is what it is.

Classless and pointless......it's not like he needs the money at this stage so all it can be is a misguided ego trip/narcissistic shytehawking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

You have to respect a manager that sticks to his philosophy , no matter how bad we were under Hodgson he stuck to what he has always done. Rodgers on the other hand is trying everything at the moment to get a result, I would rather we go out and play attacking football and press the opposition than concede possession and play 4-5
    1 .

Who is influencing Rodgers????? I fear these new coaches are ?

Nobody is influencing him. Rodgers is clueless and so far out of his depth it's a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I think he's fantastic at football, but I don't think I'd get on with Gerrard.

Which I'm sure he'd be devastated to hear. One for book number 3, maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Ya have to laugh at Dioufs recent comments. He really is an insipid individual. Still the biggest transfer blunder in the clubs history imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Ya have to laugh at Dioufs recent comments. He really is an insipid individual. Still the biggest transfer blunder in the clubs history imo

He's hilarious, the perfect bad guy "heel" character. I'm pretty sure it's all pantomime with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

https://twitter.com/clemente_carl/status/643868759485194240

Liverpool Football Club have agreed with fans that accreditation & a register to hold up banners on the Kop is unnecessary #LFC

Bit of good news on the flag situation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

brevity wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/clemente_carl/status/643868759485194240

Liverpool Football Club have agreed with fans that accreditation & a register to hold up banners on the Kop is unnecessary #LFC

Bit of good news on the flag situation...

Nice of Chairman Mao to see some sense.

We'll need two up front though if we're to invade Taiwan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

__________Mignolet________

_______Skrtel___Sakho____
    Clyne__________________Gomez

____Milner________Lucas____

_________Couthino__________

___Sturidge______Firmino____

________Ben Techno_____

Kill em that way .

Everyone should know who they are now.

This discussion has been closed.