Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

brevity wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/644207235606966272

Rodgers: "There is long way to go. Players are still settling in. There’s been a big transformation."

He cannot keep saying this and expecting people to buy it. There is always this excuse of players settling in, they might settle easier if they are played in the correct position.

Well considering over 50% of players bought under his stewardship have since bebn moved on and/or loaned out - is it ever going to be anything other than a constant state of churn ? Another weak excuse from a clueless manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Squad going over there is too weak. We should be giving this competition a good go. I'm not saying play the strongest team available but I think we can do well fielding a mix of first team regulars and squad players.

Would like to see a 4-4-2 formation but with no wide players our options are seriously limited. It angers me that Markovic was loaned out.

.................Mig
    Moreno...Sakho...Kolo....Gomez
    Lallana...Can....Firminho....Coutinho
    ............Ings........Origi

Clyne and Benteke should have been in the squad imo. I reckon we'll lose tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

magma69 wrote: »
    Squad going over there is too weak. We should be giving this competition a good go. I'm not saying play the strongest team available but I think we can do well fielding a mix of first team regulars and squad players.

Would like to see a 4-4-2 formation but with no wide players our options are seriously limited. It angers me that Markovic was loaned out.

.................Mig
    Moreno...Sakho...Kolo....Gomez
    Lallana...Can....Firminho....Coutinho
    ............Ings........Origi

Looking forward to seeing Moreno right full

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

punk_one82 wrote: »
    Based on what? A fairly small sample of his senior appearances in which he was playing his first season, out of position in an under-performing team?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭dubdamo

RayCon wrote: »
    Well considering over 50% of players bought under his stewardship have since bebn moved on and/or loaned out - is it ever going to be anything other than a constant state of churn ? Another weak excuse from a clueless manager.

This is his fourth season in charge, should just be tweaking the squad, not transforming it every season and then using that as an excuse for mediocrity.

The Mig wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing Moreno right full

My mistake. Gomez on the right, Moreno on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

8-10 wrote: »
    Markovic is a dud

We could do with him at the moment though.

Squad going over there is too weak

They're missing some first teamers too, we should be winning there imo with a team the squad who flew over.

I think Clyne and Benteke being rested is no bad thing, they are key players no doubt but should be able to cope without them.

I reckon Ings is chomping at the bit for a chance to shine and is more than capable of impressing tonight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I personally don't think Marcovic is a dud, I think that if we were going to buy him but not use him straight away, then he should have been left in Benfica. Last season was hugely detrimental to his development as a player.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/Liddellpool/status/644427885974061056

Today #LFC are ranked 55th, just a place above PAOK of Greece. When FSG took charge in October 2010, #LFC was still rated 5th

Beyond unacceptable IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Full list of rankings here: http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/

While I can't argue that 'Pool's fall from 5 to 55 is atrocious, look at the sides behind and ahead of us.

For one, we currently outrank Roma and Monaco, and we sit behind APOEL, Genk and Celtic, all 3 of whom we could feel confident of beating.

Further up, AC Milan sit in 21st, and Benfica are ahead of Juve and PSG.

Augeo wrote: »
    They're missing some first teamers too, we should be winning there imo with a team the squad who flew over.

I think Clyne and Benteke being rested is no bad thing, they are key players no doubt but should be able to cope without them.

I reckon Ings is chomping at the bit for a chance to shine and is more than capable of impressing tonight :)

Not sure where your confidence (some would see it as arrogance) is coming from. Bordeaux just drew away with PSG while we got hammered by United who are crap. And as hungry as Ings might be, our issue lies in the creativity and delivery from midfield, which is non-existent right now. Maybe you're right and things will click tonight but I foresee another game where we struggle to create opportunities.

There's a reason Bordeaux are bookies favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Ballsy move from Rodgers, he won't be able to hide behind "resting key players" if it's a poor result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I'd take the hit in Europe if we get three points against Norwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Being the away game to the presumed "2nd" best side in the group its hardly shock Rodgers made the changes. I'd be annoyed if he had stayed with the same side that was so poor against Utd and West Ham. At least the likes of Origi, Moreno and Sakho will be out stake a claim plus not having Benteke up front on his own means there is a chance the whole set up will be better.

• Advertisement

Nerdlingr wrote: »

What's the point of trying to get into Europe then?

It's not an unreasonable expectation that we be able to beat Bordeaux & Norwich - especially considering what we have spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Fcuk that sh!t

I want us to try and win this competition, for a start there is a place in the CL on offer, plus being successful in any European competition makes us more attractive and easier to convince players to join us

We should be aiming to take 3 points off Norwich regardless of being in Europe that is the point of having a large squad, our problem is we don't seem to have a manager capable of juggling multiple competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

****s sake like!

Cheer up you poor multi millionaire footballing bastards!

brevity wrote: »
    What's the point of trying to get into Europe then?

It's not an unreasonable expectation that we be able to beat Bordeaux & Norwich - especially considering what we have spent.

Of course its not but I feel the league results are way more important for the confidence of the team/manager at this point in time. We badly need 3 points againt Norwich and even if it meant losing tonight I'd happily take them.

Losing tonight would not be the end of the world, points are easily made back up in Europe but losing or drawing at home next sunday would be worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Could do with a bit more of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Full list of rankings here: http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/

While I can't argue that 'Pool's fall from 5 to 55 is atrocious, look at the sides behind and ahead of us.

For one, we currently outrank Roma and Monaco, and we sit behind APOEL, Genk and Celtic, all 3 of whom we could feel confident of beating.

Further up, AC Milan sit in 21st, and Benfica are ahead of Juve and PSG.

How many of those teams have spent £400m plus on players in that time?

Monaco maybe spend half that until there sugar daddy stopped putting money in most other teams probably don't even come near spending half of what we spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Take a hit in Europe! Europe should be our top priority. I think Sevilla are pretty happy with how Europe is working out for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

At least there's something to watch tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

tok9 wrote: »
    Take a hit in Europe! Europe should be our top priority. I think Sevilla are pretty happy with how Europe is working out for them.

Financially, it's not really worth it, but getting into the CL is a big bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Grayditch wrote: »
    At least there's something to watch tonight.

I'm not sure if I'll abuse my ageing laptop to watch our B Team play in the Euro Vase on a dodgy stream.....we should be grateful it's not on TV3/3e I guess

The league should always be out top priority. Not the second tier European competition.

We've a better chance of getting Champions League football from that second tier european competition than we do of getting it in the league.

On top of that, the more often we play midweek, the more prepared we will be to play midweek.

It angers me that Markovic was loaned out.

I am also angered.

We've a better chance of getting Champions League football from that second tier european competition than we do of getting it in the league.

On top of that, the more often we play midweek, the more prepared we will be to play midweek.

I wouldnt put my faith or priorities in any competition that has a 50:50 chance of us being knocked out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Had a look at a few or Rodgers comments regarding Sakho and he wants him to pen a new deal, hopefully that mean Lovren is gone from the starting lineup.

• Advertisement

I wouldnt put my faith or priorities in any competition that has a 50:50 chance of us being knocked out.

A 50:50 chance... is that the same as saying there is a 20:80 chance of us getting top 4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Our odds of getting CL through te league would be less than 50:50 I'd imagine. Man City and Arsenal will qualify, you would have to imagine Chelsea will get sorted out so its probably between us and Man U for 4th. After the way we waived the white flag last saturday, I wouldn't fancy our chances.

I'm showing my age here, but I long for the 'good old days' when fans and players wanted to win every game. 67 game played in 1983/84 and I don't remember games being 'prioritised'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I am also angered.

I don't get angry anymore. It's soooo 2012...

You prioritise the the europe league and you could get knocked out in the last 32/QF . Where do you go then? You're f*cked in the league. At least by prioritising the league theres the sfatey net of being able to make up any mishaps.

edit: you lose two games in the EL you're out. Could be out by losing even one.
    You do that in the league and youre still grand.

Benimar wrote: »
    Our odds of getting CL through te league would be less than 50:50 I'd imagine. Man City and Arsenal will qualify, you would have to imagine Chelsea will get sorted out so its probably between us and Man U for 4th. After the way we waived the white flag last saturday, I wouldn't fancy our chances.

Can't agree with the above. Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd are all shaky right now and aren't guaranteed anything. I would say City are a dead cert for Champions League anyway and maybe the title.

Arsenal have one striker and a suspect defence. They have little to no cover up front and in defence. They have some great players in midfield but Wilshere is gone and Walcott can't get a game. Don't have any decent defensive players in midfield to cover their defence.

Chelsea are all over the shop. Senior players like Terry and Ivanovic are approaching the end and are out of form. They have poor defensive cover. Courtois is injured till January.

United have a good squad at the moment but are struggling to find consistency. They have just been rocked by Shaw's injury and it remains to be seen if Martial can take all the responsibility to lead the line up front. LVG is not a good man manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Logically Liverpool have a significantly better chance of finishing 4th in the league than winning a long format cup competition with a higher level of opposition after the group stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,659 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Can't agree with the above. Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd are all shaky right now and aren't guaranteed anything. I would say City are a dead cert for Champions League anyway and maybe the title.

Arsenal have one striker and a suspect defence. They have little to no cover up front and in defence. They have some great players in midfield but Wilshere is gone and Walcott can't get a game. Don't have any decent defensive players in midfield to cover their defence.

Chelsea are all over the shop. Senior players like Terry and Ivanovic are approaching the end and are out of form. They have poor defensive cover. Courtois is injured till January.

United have a good squad at the moment but are struggling to find consistency. They have just been rocked by Shaw's injury and it remains to be seen if Martial can take all the responsibility to lead the line up front. LVG is not a good man manager.

You make good points there , and IF BR can get the team motoring there is ample opportunity to make top .4 .
    But i have to say , going on the games so far , thats a big big IF .
    My confidence is dwindling with each game :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We have a huge squad, competing in 4 competitions should be no problem provided injuries don't take their toll. We have a talented bunch of youngsters too by all accounts so they should be playing their part too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Of the projected starters only Coutinho, Gomez & Mignolet are regular starters this season

Sakho, Toure no competitive game time this season.

Moreno, Origi & Rossiter a small bit of competitive action this season.

Lallana coming back from injury and a Cruyff turn away from another injury.

Can and Ibe flicker in and out of form depending on the game.

Hoping that these 11 gel for the game tonight is a big call.

• Advertisement

If the ultimate end goal is consistently qualifying for the Champions League then the players and management need to get experience playing twice a week.

This idea that it's OK to lose because its just the EL/FA Cup/LC is akin to hoping that we lose so that Rodgers loses his job.

We haven't won a trophy in a long time, that need to change and fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Need to be winning to make sure there is a top 4 and it does not go to a top 3 making it even harder.

Also need to as a club start climbing back up those UEFA club rankings for better seeding not that it makes as much difference now since the change in seeding.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

You prioritise the the europe league and you could get knocked out in the last 32/QF . Where do you go then? You're f*cked in the league. At least by prioritising the league theres the sfatey net of being able to make up any mishaps.

edit: you lose two games in the EL you're out. Could be out by losing even one.
    You do that in the league and youre still grand.

Who here said we should prioritise the Europa League? No one. Plenty saying we should treat both seriously though. We need confidence from winning. If we win tonight that confidence will help. If we lose tonight there will be even more pressure.

5starpool wrote: »
    Who here said we should prioritise the Europa League? No one. Plenty saying we should treat both seriously though. We need confidence from winning. If we win tonight that confidence will help. If we lose tonight there will be even more pressure.

There ya go.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

There ya go.

Sorry, missed that post.

My point still stands though.

5starpool wrote: »
    Sorry, missed that post.

My point still stands though.

Sure it still stands and I dont disagree with it. We should be challenging on all fronts given the squad and the amount of money we've spent in the last few years.
    However, my original comment was I'd take a hit tonight if we beat Norwich on Sunday. Some posters seem to think thats the same as me saying its ok to lose or hoping rodgers gets the sack or that we shoudnt try and win the EL. (2+2=5) Its not. Its saying I think a win against Norwich is paramount.

We go out tonight with a second string team to try and win the game. If we lose so be it. But we better damn well make sure we win on Sunday then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

But we better damn well make sure we win on Sunday then.

Well it worked perfectly when we waved the white flag going to Real Madrid so we could concentrate on Chelsea 4 days later ....

RayCon wrote: »
    Well it worked perfectly when we waved the white flag going to Real Madrid so we could concentrate on Chelsea 4 days later ....

Sure did! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Of the projected starters only Coutinho, Gomez & Mignolet are regular starters this season

Sakho, Toure no competitive game time this season.

Moreno, Origi & Rossiter a small bit of competitive action this season.

Lallana coming back from injury and a Cruyff turn away from another injury.

Can and Ibe flicker in and out of form depending on the game.

Hoping that these 11 gel for the game tonight is a big call.

What are you on about

Migs
    Gomez----Toure----Sakho----Moreno
    Lallana----Can---Coutinho
    Ibe----Ings----Origi

Aside from the ones highlighted, the team has played tonnes of games together. Why would they not "gel".

People are over reacting. The side brought to France is STRONG.

Randall, Brannagan, Roister, Cleary, Firmino all there also. The youngs lads will probably be just on the bench if even named in the match squad. Roister could start ahead of Lallana with Adam coming on late on as he is just back from injury.

Tonight wont be a cake walk but we should still win with that team

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Mr.H wrote: »
    What are you on about

Migs
    Gomez----Toure----Sakho----Moreno
    Lallana----Can---Coutinho
    Ibe----Ings----Origi

Aside from the ones highlighted, the team has played tonnes of games together. Why would they not "gel".

People are over reacting. The side brought to France is STRONG.

Randall, Brannagan, Roister, Cleary, Firmino all there also. The youngs lads will probably be just on the bench if even named in the match squad. Roister could start ahead of Lallana with Adam coming on late on as he is just back from injury.

Tonight wont be a cake walk but we should still win with that team

I would imagine more than anything Roister will start the game as Can cant really hold the midfield by himself yet.

I reckon it will be something like this for tonight.

Migs
    ---Gomez-Kolo-Sakho----
    Can----Ros
    Moreno
    Firmino--Cout

Ings
    Origi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Its not rocket science. We have a BIG squad and should b well capable of managing 4 competitions. In my eyes we have 2 "squads".

Squad A Should be playing all top 17 teams in the League and cups. They should also play the home games in Europe in the group stage and every game in the knockouts (unless we win the first leg by a ridiculous amount of goals (which we wont))

Migs
    Clyne---Skrtel---Sakho---Moreno
    Lucas
    Hendo----Milner
    Coutinho
    Sturridge----Benteke

Subs; Bogdan, Lovren, Gomez, Can, Lallana, Firmino, Ings

Squad B should play the bottom 3 teams in the league (teams that are def going down). They should also play all away games in the group stage of Europe and the non "BIG" games in the cups or all the games in the League cup and any "easy" fixtures in the FA cup

Bogdan
    Flanno---Toure---Lovren---Gomez
    Can
    Allen----Lallana
    Firmino
    Ings----Origi

Subs; Fulton, Skrtel, Enrique, Lucas, Coutinho, Ibe, Sturridge

Then we have; Roister, Brannagan, Sinclair, Dunn, Teixeira

The Idea of Squad B is that we give players in Squad A a rest while keeping some "strong" players on the bench just in case we need them.

Now that is everyone in our squad right now (as far as I can recall right now and barring injuries). I dont get why people have to say its either Europe or the League when we clearly have a squad that should be a match for all 4 competitions.

For example Bournemouth and Watford are probably among this years "likely to be relegated".

Bournemouth
    Gomes
    Nyom----Prodl--Cathcart--Anya
    Capoue--Behrami
    Abdi---Deeney--Jurado
    Ighalo

Watford
    Boruc
    Francis----Elphick--Cook--Smith
    Richie----Surman--O'Kane----Stanislas
    King---Wilson

No disrespect to either side (these sides are the last game each lined up) but our Squad B should be able to beat them. No matter how low an opinion some of you have on our players, our Squad B would all have a good shout of walking into either of those first teams (with probably the exception of Bogdan as I really like Boruc. Not so much Gomez but he is also in a higher bracket to Bogdan to be fair)

Bogdan
    Flanno---Toure---Lovren---Gomez
    Can
    Allen----Lallana
    Firmino
    Ings----Origi

Subs; Fulton, Skrtel, Enrique, Lucas, Coutinho, Ibe, Sturridge

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement