Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Vicxas wrote: »
    Rodgers is making Hodgson look like fcuking Shankly lately.

How is he getting so much leeway here...

I dont see him getting anything but crucified frankly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

We will draw and lose more games then we win under rodgers, in fact i cant see us beating anyone atm, i think we will be lucky to get 2pts from norwich and villa, tonight was just yet more proof to me that brendan needs to fcuk off, im dreading sunday tbh:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Brod out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

He has to be patient beacause he is a commitee signing. Its really incredible he isn't our #1 CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Vicxas wrote: »
    Rodgers is making Hodgson look like fcuking Shankly lately.

How is he getting so much leeway here...

You've a short memory if you think this is as bad as under Hodgson, he made a mockery of the club say what you will about Rodgers but he won't be coming out and saying that joining United is a step up etc.

I think Rodgers should go too but we have to have the right guy lined up and waffle like "it's worse than under Roy" is ludicrous unless they Roy in question is Roy Evans.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ya, no way is it more depressing and bad than under the unmentionable one.

It is still fairly depressing and bad though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

5starpool wrote: »

Agreed tho the general miasma surrounding the club is making tonight's result and performance look worse than it is. A point away with lots of players rested isn't a bad result and tbh we played well at times. There still feels like there's so much tempo absent tho, that's the main reason I think we need a change. We've been too passive for too long and I'm shocked the manager hasn't been willing or able whichever it is, to alter that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

With Hodgson it was clear that it'd be over soon.

With Rodgers FSG have backed him so sufficiently, my dear is they've little choice other than to stick with him indefinitely and hope he comes good :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Says a lot about the team at the moment that we have only about two pages of conversation since the game started in here.

Feck all optimism, and just a general sense of meh about the place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Knex. wrote: »
    Says a lot about the team at the moment that we have only about two pages of conversation since the game started in here.

Feck all optimism, and just a general sense of meh about the place.
    Says even more that we're not even giving out about the state of the team but the grade of nonsense the manager is speaking at present

Wasn't pretty but not losing is a positive I guess :/

Borini: Ex-Liverpool teammate Balotelli is the best player I've ever played with

I wonder is he talking about football though?

ken.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If we keep playing like this Coutinho will be the next to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Wasn't pretty but not losing is a positive I guess :/

A point away from home is never a bad result by and large and im as big a critic of the rodgers regime now as anyome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Coutinho is next to leave no matter what IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

In terms of results it's Hodgsonesque at the moment.

Last 7 competitive fixtures as Liverpool manager:
    Rafa Benitez : W3 D2 L2
    Roy Hodgon : W2 D2 L3
    Kenny Dalglish : W3 D0 L4
    Brendan Rodgers : W2 D2 L3

Last 20 competitive fixtures as Liverpool manager:
    Benitez : W10 D4 L6
    Hodgson : W7 D6 L7
    Dalglish : W8 D3 L9
    Rodgers : W7 D5 L8

It's too easy to have a go at Rodgers, I said enough last year and I won't be changing my mind about him any time soon.

The big difference is Rodgers is staying on of course!

He needs a run of wins or he's toast.

Choosing a balanced team would be a start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

klose wrote: »
    Ibe is regressing so much this season, .

He was playing right wing back and everytime he got the ball he had at least two players on him with no support for 20 yards.I thought he used the ball well.
    I'd love us to plat 4-4-2 with him and clyne on the right side
    He is the real deal. don't panic! the manager is just managing him badly which is what bad managers do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Bowlardo wrote: »
    He was playing right wing back and everytime he got the ball he had at least two players on him with no support for 20 yards.I thought he used the ball well.
    He is the real deal. don't panic! the manager is just managing him badly which is what bad managers do

He hasn't a single assist or goal in a competitive game. He is way below the level required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ibe needs a goal badly. Still rate him but needs to more aggresive & try to get into more dangerous positions.

The big difference is Rodgers is staying on of course!

He needs a run of wins or he's toast.

Choosing a balanced team would be a start
    Yes - Rodgers has the benefit of still having the job so he can still affect his stats. Persisting with playing players out of position is not going to help him.

He hasn't a single assist or goal in a competitive game. He is way below the level required.
    In fairness the team, the tactics and manager have been below the level required. The setup is toxic and not helping such a young player. It was easier for Sterling to come into a team that was on the front foot and forward players were supported properly, we haven't see that in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

marno21 wrote: »
    Brendan's love of Lovren is driving him fairly quickly towards his P45
    It's his love of the word outstanding that is driving me mental :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Augeo wrote: »
    They're missing some first teamers too, we should be winning there imo with a team the squad who flew over.

I think Clyne and Benteke being rested is no bad thing, they are key players no doubt but should be able to cope without them.

I reckon Ings is chomping at the bit for a chance to shine and is more than capable of impressing tonight :)

What is the defiant confidence based on at this point? Mad stuff altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Borini: Ex-Liverpool teammate Balotelli is the best player I've ever played with

I wonder is he talking about football though?

Ps9CiLO.gif

Talisman wrote: »
    In fairness the team, the tactics and manager have been below the level required. The setup is toxic and not helping such a young player. It was easier for Sterling to come into a team that was on the front foot and forward players were supported properly, we haven't see that in a long time.

To some degree I think that plays as an excuse but he just isn't ready for football at this level imo. I hate that Sterling keeps getting dragged into a conversations about him as they have very little in common. Sterling also came into the team with huge pressure on him, I remember those first few games when the expectancy in the crowd was incredible. Sterling though has football intelligence way beyond his years, he sees the game, players around him, understands when to make runs, how to use his ability, when to drribble when to play it sensibly.

Ibe has none of that at the moment. He plays like a teenager and that is fine because he is one. It is incredibly rare to see someone like Sterling who understands his own game and ability so well at his age. Ibe has a massive amount of raw tools. He is powerful, quick, rocket of a shot among other things. At the moment though he has very little understanding of how to use those tools. His awareness is awful and almost always he just wants to run at defenders with the ball. Like Shelvey he'll probably turn into a very good player over the course of time I'm not sure though that we can afford to carry someone so clearly below this level while he develops those skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Is he gone yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

He got an assist on his Premier League debut for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

More chance of Sturridge injuring himself again than FSG firing Rodgers at this stage by the looks of it.

mormank wrote: »
    He got an assist on his Premier League debut for us.

Didn't he get a goal in one of his first starts?

Might have been the last game of the 12/13 season.

Do you think he might be genuinely just lost in some delusion of grandeur. I'd never seen this quote before but I think it might be my new favourite. He said it as Swansea manager.
    It is great for the public here at Sunderland to see us,” said manager Brendan Rodgers. “They must have been wondering what this team everyone is talking about are all about and now they have seen. We were wonderful.
    They lost 2-0

More chance of Sturridge not injuring himself again than FSG firing Rodgers at this stage by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

What is the level required? I cant believe there are still fans that think Liverpool are punching below our weight. We are mid table fodder with a big history. Sooner we get over ourselves the better. Not every new arrival has to be compared to Dalglish, Rush, gerard, Torres, Hyppia, Fowler etc. Too much pressure on the new guys.
    We need to start forgetting about our history if we wanna build a future. The pressure on all current players will be their and our downfall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Do you think he might be genuinely just lost in some delusion of grandeur. I'd never seen this quote before but I think it might be my new favourite. He said it as Swansea manager.

It is great for the public here at Sunderland to see us,” said manager Brendan Rodgers. “They must have been wondering what this team everyone is talking about are all about and now they have seen. We were wonderful.

They lost 2-0

Was he being sarcastic? Because that is a completely ridiculous thing to say.

Kirby wrote: »
    Was he being sarcastic? Because that is a completely ridiculous thing to say.

Nope he finished off the interview saying.
    "Of course, it is all about getting results but I still thought we were brilliant.”

Maybe they actually were, I can't say I remember or even watched the game.

What is the level required? I cant believe there are still fans that think Liverpool are punching below our weight. We are mid table fodder with a big history. Sooner we get over ourselves the better. Not every new arrival has to be compared to Dalglish, Rush, gerard, Torres, Hyppia, Fowler etc. Too much pressure on the new guys.
    We need to start forgetting about our history if we wanna build a future. The pressure on all current players will be their and our downfall.

Markovic is a better player. I mean he is a youth player who has been elevated to the first team far too quickly, not that we should have Messi on the wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

They lost 2-0

If he was made out of cake he'd eat himself.

But to be honest, he said that when he was at a different club and if he was winning the vast majority wouldn't care. I honestly dont care what he says anyway, he has a lot more serious flaws than spouting utter scutter.

I am sick of his team selections and tactics. I'm at the point where I've had enough of watching his Liverpool team. Not that I will stop watching, but I dont really care what happens to BR at this point. I think he's a decent guy and a decent manager but he looks finished with us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Didn't he get a goal in one of his first starts?

Might have been the last game of the 12/13 season.

No that was the assist I was referring to, on his PL debut for us at the end of the 12/13 season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

NukaCola wrote: »
    If he was made out of cake he'd eat himself.

But to be honest, he said that when he was at a different club and if he was winning the vast majority wouldn't care. I honestly dont care what he says anyway, he has a lot more serious flaws than spouting utter scutter.

I am sick of his team selections and tactics. I'm at the point where I've had enough of watching his Liverpool team. Not that I will stop watching, but I dont really care what happens to BR at this point. I think he's a decent guy and a decent manager but he looks finished with us.

It very much looks like the end of the road alright. He's lost the support of a lot of the fans, he's losing games in a bad manner, his team selections to try and recover from a previous loss are baffling. I would love Klopp or Ancelotti to come in and steady the ship.

Jesus it would be nice to see a team with 2 up top and players in the correct position, with Lovren locked in a locker in Melwood.

To some degree I think that plays as an excuse but he just isn't ready for football at this level imo. I hate that Sterling keeps getting dragged into a conversations about him as they have very little in common. Sterling also came into the team with huge pressure on him, I remember those first few games when the expectancy in the crowd was incredible. Sterling though has football intelligence way beyond his years, he sees the game, players around him, understands when to make runs, how to use his ability, when to drribble when to play it sensibly.

Ibe has none of that at the moment. He plays like a teenager and that is fine because he is one. It is incredibly rare to see someone like Sterling who understands his own game and ability so well at his age. Ibe has a massive amount of raw tools. He is powerful, quick, rocket of a shot among other things. At the moment though he has very little understanding of how to use those tools. His awareness is awful and almost always he just wants to run at defenders with the ball. Like Shelvey he'll probably turn into a very good player over the course of time I'm not sure though that we can afford to carry someone so clearly below this level while he develops those skills.
    My intention is not to compare them as players. Sterling came into a team with a clearly defined structure, every player had their own role. In that environment a young player can develop, they have a role within the structure, others know what their role is and can help them too.

Ibe is a right winger - last season he played out of position as a wing back and did relatively well. This season he has already played as a left winger/inside forward/wing back. It's not possible to make a proper judgement of him when the whole team is in flux - there is still no consistent connection between the midfield and forward players.

For instance when playing on the left of the front three, Ibe received little/no support from the full back who is actually a young right sided central defender being played out of position and also contend with Adam Lallana who seemed to relish crowding the space where Ibe was supposed to be playing.

I sometimes think that Rodgers has a bunch of cliff notes for football books by the greats of the game and in an effort to forge himself into the history of the game tries to apply his own spin on them. The names in the envelopes is a classic example of such an effort on his part. I'm sure it was very dramatic for an American TV audience that weren't already familiar with English soccer, but in this part of the world there are many people who have read the autobiography from which it was lifted.

Jock Stein used to play young players out of position to give them a tactical understanding of the game and the roles of the players around them. Kenny Dalglish wrote about it in his autobiography, a very young Dalglish played in central defence and midfield before graduating to his forward position when Stein felt he had learned what he needed to. Stein's philosophy was that a good footballer would have the intelligence to learn from the roles and in so doing would be able to adapt their own game. It could be something as simple as knowing where to move in order to offer a better passing option. Stein only tried to accommodate one such player-in-training in the team at a time for the most part.

Educating players rather than just training them is very much in keeping with the philosophy of Rodgers. For the past year, Rodgers seems to be trying to take Stein's idea to the Nth degree. There have been square pegs in round holes all over the pitch and it's an absolute mess, rather than helping it's impeding the development of the young players.

If the team had a defined structure with players in their natural roles they would be more comfortable and more likely to deliver higher performance levels. Once the team performances become consistent the player-in-training programme could be re-established. The team should be able to accommodate a single such player in almost any game, but two or more is asking for trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Bowlardo wrote: »

He is clearly not good enough for a top half premiership team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Short wrap-up from last night - a good point away with a second string side.

But it will count for nothing if we don't beat Norwich with the rested first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Before the season started people were saying how Ibe should be in the starting XI and that he looks like he could go on to be better than Sterling, 6 games into the season and people are slating him saying he's nowhere near the standard required and should have been loaned out. Sums up this thread and it's knee jerk reactions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

It shows how desperate we and rodgers have become when we rest players for a home game against norwich, its the pits:mad:

Before the season started people were saying how Ibe should be in the starting XI and that he looks like he could go on to be better than Sterling, 6 games into the season and people are slating him saying he's nowhere near the standard required and should have been loaned out. Sums up this thread and it's knee jerk reactions.

In reality though the majority sit in the middle. Decent player and a very good prospect but under performing and not doing enough.

Why were BR staff sacked when we are seeing a continuation of the dross of last season. I think it was obvious who was calling the shots last season, why bother changing your staff if your doing the same things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

NukaCola wrote: »
    why bother changing your staff if your doing the same things?

Well what it does do is highlight the last remaining thing that needs changing.

Nowhere left to hide.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Did the same people say both of those things though? That's an important distinction to make.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement