Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

5starpool wrote: »
    Did the same people say both of those things though? That's an important distinction to make.

Can't say I've been keeping track but it wouldn't surprise me with the way a lot of fans go on. Obviously there are a large group of posters who are level headed and see things rationally but for some posters it feels as if it has to be one extreme or the other, all brilliant or all terrible. Just because Jordon Ibe isn't looking like the next Lionel Messi in his few appearances this season doesn't mean he is going to be a dud, just like his good performances last season doesn't mean he's going to win a Ballon D'Or next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Before the season started people were saying how Ibe should be in the starting XI and that he looks like he could go on to be better than Sterling, 6 games into the season and people are slating him saying he's nowhere near the standard required and should have been loaned out. Sums up this thread and it's knee jerk reactions.

But people who were saying that were talking pure bullsh!t as evidenced on the season so far. That was all just a reaction to the reality that Sterling was going.

Ibe never has and never will be as good as Sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Did the same people say both of those things though? That's an important distinction to make.

Ha. It happens all the time on here, when it suits people to say "this thread said this and now it says this" as it if were not made up of different people with constantly clashing opinions some of which change with many variables at play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Even the banners are getting sh1ttier.

CPHxZcxWUAANRQm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

God be with the days when we relished a home game against Norwich like a Rottweiler eyeing up a juicy steak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

x43r0 wrote: »
    God be with the days when we relished a home game against Norwich like a Rottweiler eyeing up a juicy steak

Yes Suarez is surely missed at Anfield ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Anyone care to guess what Rodgers thought of Lallana's goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Does anyone know the circumstances of Tony Evans leaving the Times and whether it was on good terms or acrimonious?

No :pac:

I really think he's just starting to troll people now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Outstanding from the boy!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

x43r0 wrote: »

I still haven't forgiven them for ruining the last game in front of the standing Kop. The cheek of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

SM01 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the circumstances of Tony Evans leaving the Times and whether it was on good terms or acrimonious?

Tony Evans cant do anything without a bit of the oul acrimony

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The ball showed great character going into the net?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I still haven't forgiven them for ruining the last game in front of the standing Kop. The cheek of them.

Jeremy goss with the goal I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Thread has a real smell of revolt and rebellion off it. We're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore! :)

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Thread has a real smell of revolt and rebellion off it. We're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore! :)
    FSG have painted themselves into a corner with Rodgers. By retaining him at the end of last season, they can't very well go and sacked him after only 5 games without looking foolish.

At the same time, a defeat to Norwich and you'd really struggle to see a way back for Rodgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Good result for us last night. Away game in Europe against a strong enough team. We played/ended up with 7 players 21 or under, and a number of them getting their first appearence in the Liverpool shirt, last night. 1-1 isnt the worst result in the world all things considered. Lets build on that in our next two home games.

Two home wins in the next two weeks and let's see what happens to all the rebellion.

Next 4 games at home, not a top side in the lot, a good chance to get Sturridge back in, hopefully Henderson too, and we can see what's possible when all our best players are available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Again with all the money spent over the last few years Liverpool end up at an away game to Bordeaux in Europe with Joe Gomez, Jordan Rossiter and Pedro Chirivella as the spine of the team. Simply amazing. I know he's young and I've already seen one or two posters try to gloss up his performance but Rossiter was absolutely awful yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd just like to highlight Pedro Chirivella, even at the youth level I think he tends to get overlooked a bit probably as his role isn't as flashy as some of the others but last night thrown in to a game he probably thought he'd sit out he showed some very promising touches with a few top draw forward passes from deep and a calm head generally. A few hairy moments but it would be foolish to make to too much of them.

Good luck with that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Thread has a real smell

Does

Milkers wrote: »
    Again with all the money spent over the last few years Liverpool end up at an away game to Bordeaux in Europe with Joe Gomez, Jordan Rossiter and Pedro Chirivella as the spine of the team. Simply amazing. I know he's young and I've already seen one or two posters try to gloss up his performance but Rossiter was absolutely awful yesterday.

Harsh, here is his touch compilation

He can't tackle well enough at this level yet, that is the only thing he got wrong last night.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

FSG have painted themselves into a corner with Rodgers. By retaining him at the end of last season, they can't very well go and sacked him after only 5 games without looking foolish.

At the same time, a defeat to Norwich and you'd really struggle to see a way back for Rodgers.

A defeat on Sunday and I think the crowd will turn against him to a large extent. We won't lose though, surely? I wish I could say that with some certainty though.

I'm not sure what needs to happen. I want us to win games, but I don't think Rodgers is the man the club needs. I foresee us limping on with underwhelming, but not abysmal results in the next couple of months, and that will be painful. I don't want us to lose just to get rid of thr manager, but it might be what needs t happen long term. We'll know more in 2 weeks after these 4 home games anyhow. If the matchday fans turn, then there is probably no coming back for him, barring a miracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

3ac11ee28394661d43f86c57def1ac16.jpg

I'm hoping someone is creative with one of these pictures and photoshop myself

• Advertisement

Good luck with that :rolleyes:

Indeed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Rossiter really impressed me last night, could easily see him take Allen's place in the squad. Showed a bit of passion, commitment and looked for the forward pass a lot, you can tell Rodgers ball hasn't effected him yet like the rest of our MF.

Ibe is at an important stage of his development, playing him at RWB is doing nothing for his confidence, he should be deployed from the bench as solely an attacking player for now.

Moreno for me needs to start, whipped in a nice few crosses last night which would have benefited Benteke if he was playing. He has a lot of pace, likes to run infield and commits players.

I thought Sakho was excellent and not even Rodgers should be able to come up with an excuse to play Lovren/Skrtel over him. One thing I noticed is a few times he passed the ball and we lost possession due to the sheer power of his pass was too much for the receiving player. The beast :p

I saw Lallana get a lot of stick over on the match thread, he has been in and out of the team a lot but he's a classy players and often pops up with a goal. Very good squad player to have.

A defeat on Sunday and I think the crowd will turn against him to a large extent. We won't lose though, surely? I wish I could say that with some certainty though.

I'm not sure what needs to happen. I want us to win games, but I don't think Rodgers is the man the club needs. I foresee us limping on with underwhelming, but not abysmal results in the next couple of months, and that will be painful. I don't want us to lose just to get rid of thr manager, but it might be what needs t happen long term. We'll know more in 2 weeks after these 4 home games anyhow. If the matchday fans turn, then there is probably no coming back for him, barring a miracle.

Yeah, it's a strange one really. We could get through the next four games ala Stoke and Bournemouth but thereafter:

Everton (a)
    Tottenham (a)
    Kazan (h)
    Southampton (h)
    Chelsea (a)
    Kazan (a)
    Palace (h)
    City (a)

is a brutal stretch. The point is that the performance level needs to radically change. We've already seen this season that jamming two league wins in a row against lower level opposition doesn't magically arm us for tougher tests. You could say a 1 - 1 draw away against the second seeds in the group is a good result, but the nature of the performance is in keeping with the issues that produced abject performances against West Ham and Utd.

Feels like we're waiting for Godot tbh. Looks like the lack of balls to cut him in the summer has punted the season unfortunately.

rob316 wrote: »
    I saw Lallana get a lot of stick over on the match thread, he has been in and out of the team a lot but he's a classy players and often pops up with a goal. Very good squad player to have.

Which means he's a ****ing bust transfer. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Strong, smart people who succeed in business realise that it's never too late to do the right thing, and don't reinforce failure for the sake of saving face.

Let's see how strong, smart and ambitious for success FSG actually are. Maybe they're not any of those things.

• Advertisement

Harsh, here is his touch compilation

He can't tackle well enough at this level yet, that is the only thing he got wrong last night.

I tell you what, compare that to a Lucas compilation from the last two games, I bet the latter would have given away more frees and had more hoofs. Rossi was composed, stuck to his job and tried to play forward quickly.
    Good on the kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

He was so much better in a Saints side that at the time played so much better than LFC do now. It's hard to credit how awful he's become by comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

How? People are too bogged down by how much he cost. He's English and Southampton are good at getting a top price for their players.
    We need a player like him adding depth to the squad.

the nature of the performance is in keeping with the issues that produced abject performances against West Ham and Utd.

I thought McLovren was to blame for everything in those two games? :P

Last night's performance was mostly about being away in Europe, which many of that team have never experienced, with a side that have not played together before, and up against a decent Ligue 1 team.

I see very little comparison in that game versus the last two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Posted this last October. Apologies to Pardew.
    For me, The Rodgers is more Pardew than Paisley.

Honigstein was on guardian football weekly yesterday, listening back right now
    Raphael Honigstein ‏@honigstein 20s21 seconds ago
    Just to clear up a few misleading tweets: Klopp was approached by LFC twice in the past. Not this summer. (As far as I know)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Feels like we're waiting for Godot tbh. Looks like the lack of balls to cut him in the summer has punted the season unfortunately.
    I don't think it was a lack of balls. FSG have done what they can to support the manager, according to whom there were extenuating circumstances which caused the catastrophic season. Rodgers pointed the finger at his coaching staff, they have been replaced. The club have also signed the players Rodgers wanted, and ejected those that are not in his plans.

There is nowhere left for Rodgers to hide, he has no excuses now. If the owners choose to get rid of him at the end of this season, nobody can say that he deserved more time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He's more Pardew than fcuking Pardew.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Honigstein also added that FSG will speak to him again in November which comes across like tabloid bull****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Posted this last October. Apologies to Pardew.

He's more of a Carver right now tbh.

• Advertisement

corwill wrote: »
    He was so much better in a Saints side that at the time played so much better than LFC do now. It's hard to credit how awful he's become by comparison.

Yep. But to be honest, so many players that looked great at smaller clubs fail to make the step up to a pressure environment like Liverpool. Lallana's transfer feels very like Downing to me in many ways (Lallana has maybe been better than Downing, but is producing so much less impact for us than his former club just as Stewie struggled to do).
    rob316 wrote: »
    How? People are too bogged down by how much he cost. He's English and Southampton are good at getting a top price for their players.
    We need a player like him adding depth to the squad.

No, when you pay that money for a player coming into his peak years you need to be getting a player that adds impact to your first team. Explaining him away as a 'decent squad depth' acquisition frankly doesn't cut it. If that repeatedly occurs you're ****ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

We still haven't come close to replacing Alonso, in terms of having a player who can break the lines with a quick and incisive pass from deep, aside from a short period with Gerrard two years ago, at a push.

Sakho is our only defender who can play a momentum changing pass from deep, and he's criminally underplayed by Rodgers, so it highlights our lack of production from midfield all the more.

Allen is injured too much, and tbh, while he can help with some of our deficiencies in this area and is a fine squad player, he's not good enough. Henderson can do this on his day, but I really don't fancy him as a deep lying midfielder. He's best when allowed to roam and push on, stretching and pressing the opposition from an advanced position.

We've spent a **** tonne of money in four years, and the only player who comes close to fulfilling the criteria required, Nuri Sahin, was a loanee who we played as a number 10 in fleeting appearances.

Now, like top quality strikers, these players are in relative short supply, I know that, but we keep on trying to play 3 in midfield with a deep lying player, and one or two attackers hanging off an ever increasingly isolated lone striker, and I don't see how we can keep going back to this game plan without the tools to implement it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

interesting that Firmino didn't come on last night. I hope Firmino isn't benched like all the othe commitee signings unless they make an immediate impact. I don't think Rodgers will start him vs Norwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Still plenty of tickets available for the Norwich game. Looks like people are starting to vote with their wallets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

MD1990 wrote: »
    interesting that Firmino didn't come on last night. I hope Firmino isn't benched like all the othe commitee signings unless they make an immediate impact. I don't think Rodgers will start him vs Norwich.

There's no point playing him at all if he's going to be played out of position on the right. He's a number 10 or false 9, and those are the only positions he should ever play in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Still plenty of tickets available for the Norwich game. Looks like people are starting to vote with their wallets.

Was just going to post this. Seems to be the only way to reach FSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

martyos121 wrote: »
    There's no point playing him at all if he's going to be played out of position on the right. He's a number 10 or false 9, and those are the only positions he should ever play in.
    He can play well from the left too but definitley not on the right.

Honigstein also added that FSG will speak to him again in November which comes across like tabloid bull****

Barry Glendenning chipped in with word from someone, who he says is clued up and said that the owners had indicated that after the West Ham debacle, Rodgers had to get 7 points from the next 9 which sounds like hooey (and Honigstein wondered about it) but Bazza was adamant that this fella was well connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I read this and had a quick look expecting a few restricted view seats up for grabs but Christ you can get lower centenary 2 days before the game :eek:

Also paddock 2nd row back from the pitch ffs! Those are both better than the seat I spent 2 hours queuing in the member sale for :o

Never seen it like this so close to match day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

By all accounts Rodgers is a good coach, reports from players suggest that his training is good and inventive but he seems to struggle to set up a cohesive unit. He's over complicated things and its going to cost him his job.

At this point, I'm reserving all opinions on players until we get a manger in who knows what he is doing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement