Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Barry Glendenning chipped in with word from someone, who he says is clued up and said that the owners had indicated that after the West Ham debacle, Rodgers had to get 7 points from the next 9 which sounds like hooey (and Honigstein wondered about it) but Bazza was adamant that this fella was well connected.

I'd really wonder at that tbh, and I'd hope they're smarter than that anyway. I mean, we could get 6 points but see a dramatic shift in basic performance levels and cohesion. Or we could get 9 from 9 through sheer luck and 0 from 9 the next three games.

The correct assessment here is really around how we're generally doing; are we generally on course in our competitions and how do we project going forward to the competitive conclusions of season's end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Still plenty of tickets available for the Norwich game. Looks like people are starting to vote with their wallets.

:eek:

After Toure came off and Can dropped to CB we went from a makeshift CM partnership to a really a partnership that would have been met with horror pre match.

Lallana took his goal well, ings showed class in his takedown, lots of positives imo, roll on Sunday :)

Lol at revolt etc off this thread, no one gives a f&ck to be Frank :)

2ppg target and how far we stray from it is the only meaningful stat that matters imo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

brevity wrote: »
    By all accounts Rodgers is a good coach, reports from players suggest that his training is good and inventive but he seems to struggle to set up a cohesive unit. He's over complicated things and its going to cost him his job.

At this point, I'm reserving all opinions on players until we get a manger in whole knows what he is doing.

Steve McClaren is considered one of the best coaches in world football but I wouldn't want him anywhere near managing the club.

Being a great coach and a great manager are two very different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Milkers wrote: »
    Again with all the money spent over the last few years Liverpool end up at an away game to Bordeaux in Europe with Joe Gomez, Jordan Rossiter and Pedro Chirivella as the spine of the team. Simply amazing. I know he's young and I've already seen one or two posters try to gloss up his performance but Rossiter was absolutely awful yesterday.

Very hard on the kid. Yeah he gave away stupid fouls from his tackling but he did the simple things with passes and covering back.
    Harsh, here is his touch compilation

He can't tackle well enough at this level yet, that is the only thing he got wrong last night.

+1 on this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ing needs to be starting in a 2 man attack also, he's a really good young player. He was one of the better players against West Ham, United and was very unlucky not to score last night after a tremendous piece of skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

x43r0 wrote: »
    I read this and had a quick look expecting a few restricted view seats up for grabs but Christ you can get lower centenary 2 days before the game :eek:

Also paddock 2nd row back from the pitch ffs! Those are both better than the seat I spent 2 hours queuing in the member sale for :o

Never seen it like this so close to match day

That's season ticket holders who have had enough of watching rubbish every home game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Harsh, here is his touch compilation

He can't tackle well enough at this level yet, that is the only thing he got wrong last night.

I know we want the young lads to do well but if that's now considered an acceptable performance for a Liverpool midfielder in a European game then whoever wrote about the lowering of expectations and standards dropping under Rodgers is 100% correct.

His tackling was awful, his short simple passes were more often than not slightly misplaced (behind the receiver, or to a receiving player who was in a worse position than Rossiter himself) and several of his longer passes were miles off the mark. He has no ability to win an aerial duel, is incredibly slow which resulted in his being completely left behind whenever Bordeaux counter-attacked and overall has zero physical presence in the middle of the field.

But yeah, I guess he's 18 so he did well. :confused::confused::confused:

Indeed, he's appeared in the last 3 games, if he doesn't start against Norwich he should get at least 30mins imo, I'd sooner him and Benteke up front than the multiple # 10s Rodgers seems fond of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

brevity wrote: »
    By all accounts Rodgers is a good coach, reports from players suggest that his training is good and inventive but he seems to struggle to set up a cohesive unit. He's over complicated things and its going to cost him his job.

At this point, I'm reserving all opinions on players until we get a manger in who knows what he is doing.

The little Lord Jesus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

rob316 wrote: »
    Ing needs to be starting in a 2 man attack also, he's a really good young player. He was one of the better players against West Ham, United and was very unlucky not to score last night after a tremendous piece of skill.

I agree. Ings has been one of the bright spots anytime he played, but he need to be played alongside Benteke.

I would like to see something like this on Sunday as a front 6.

GoMGo53.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

A bit lopsided I think. Keep it simple, Firmino on the bench for now, Coutinho at the tip of a diamond behind Ings and Benteke. Trying to shoehorn Firmino in now will naturally unbalance things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Thought Rossiter did ok. He is an intelligent player but his lack of pace is a massive issue. But hopefully he can improve that over the next few years. Loftus Cheek a similar age to Rossiter looks a much better player unfortunetly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

The little Lord Jesus?

Not sure I have much faith in him either.

Mamadou Sakho
    "I'm always ready," "I'm working and I'm a Liverpool soldier. And, when you call on me, I always rise to the challenge."

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/liverpool/story/2618592/mamadou-sakho-a-liverpool-soldier-after-immense-display

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I wouldn't be getting your hopes up for 2 up front. The fact he played 3421 last night would say to me that he is going to go back to that formation. He can get sakho back in the team without dropping nervol. Play coutinho and firmino behind benteke Clyne and Moreno will give width. I'd prefer 2 up top but I reckon the players we have will suit a 3421 much more than a 433.

I'd guess he will go something like this at the weekend.

Mignolet

Skrtel
    Lovren
    Sakho

Clyne
    Milner
    Henderson
    Moreno-

Coutinho
    Firmino

Benteke

Replace Henderson with Lucas if Henderson isn't fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I'd guess he will go something like this at the weekend.

Mignolet

Skrtel
    Lovren
    Sakho

Clyne
    Milner
    Henderson
    Moreno-

Coutinho
    Firmino

Benteke

Replace Henderson with Lucas if Henderson isn't fit.

That's an excellent team on paper.

"On paper" being the key words there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Never mind anything else, he should be starting for that quote alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

martyos121 wrote: »
    There's no point playing him at all if he's going to be played out of position on the right. He's a number 10 or false 9, and those are the only positions he should ever play in.

Aren't they both the same thing essentially? If you played a 'false 9' with a regular 9 the false 9 would be a number 10 right? I wanna try put a stop to this false 9 bulls%%t. It's not a real position, it's just a number 10 that someone once called a false 9 to get away with not playing a striker and it has caught on like wild fire! :(

mormank wrote: »
    Aren't they both the same thing essentially? If you played a 'false 9' with a regular 9 the false 9 would be a number 10 right? I wanna try put a stop to this false 9 bulls%%t. It's not a real position, it's just a number 10 that someone once called a false 9 to get away with not playing a striker and it has caught on like wild fire! :(

:rolleyes:

The point is you don't play a false 9 with a regular 9, that's the purpose of it. A false 9 is deployed when you want another body to pass the ball around and play in the wingers, but can also make runs into the box when needed.

As for you trying to "put a stop to this false 9 bs", good luck, it's an integral part of certain formations and it's not going anywhere. It is most certainly a real position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Sounds like another Warrior marketing campaign. :pac:

I'd say Sakho says that quote to himself when he's putting on his painting overalls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I really doubt he will go three at the back on Sunday, equally I doubt he will go two up top :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

:rolleyes:

The point is you don't play a false 9 with a regular 9, that's the purpose of it. A false 9 is deployed when you want another body to pass the ball around and play in the wingers, but can also make runs into the box when needed.

As for you trying to "put a stop to this false 9 bs", good luck, it's an integral part of certain formations and it's not going anywhere. It is most certainly a real position.

I agree, it's called number 10. ;)

P.s. I get that you don't play a false 9 with a regular 9 but my point is that a false 9 has a very similar role in a team to a traditional number 10. Why does it get a new name just cos the 9 isn't present? It's like calling a right wingback a false right back imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Yes, but is he an elite level warrior?

I've always been a fan of Sakho and wanted him playing even when there seemed to be a split among fans about his ability because of his awkward looking technique, it seems all fans have now united behind him, probably more to do with the fact that they can air a grievance about the manager but anyway hopefully Sakho will start against Norwich.

mormank wrote: »
    I agree, it's called number 10. ;)

Except it really isn't though. A number 10's main focus is to play in the striker and wingers and chip in with the odd goal, most often from the edge of the box (Coutinho, James, Isco, Sneijder, Ozil etc.)

A false 9 has two jobs; to play in the wingers and create chances for them, and be the main goal scorer in the team by making late runs into the box or dribbling through defenders (Messi during the Guardiola era, Totti, Tevez, Rooney played that position often before the term was coined, Cruyff also who basically invented the position).

I do understand where you're coming from btw, but it is its own position, clearly not a number 10, and equally as clearly not a number 9. It's here to stay.

........ it seems all fans have now united behind him, probably more to do with the fact that they can air a grievance about the manager.....

lol great point tbf

Just reading Firmino started his career as a defensive midfielder how long before Brendan plays him there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Yes, but is he an elite level warrior?

I've always been a fan of Sakho and wanted him playing even when there seemed to be a split among fans about his ability because of his awkward looking technique, it seems all fans have now united behind him, probably more to do with the fact that they can air a grievance about the manager but anyway hopefully Sakho will start against Norwich.

I still think hes extremely overrated by our fans, He played well last night but you would expect nothing less against that Bordeaux team, Gomez actually looked the better player last night and he played centrally in the 3 which says it all really.Lovren and skittles Would have done no worse last night imo.

Just reading Firmino started his career as a defensive midfielder how long before Brendan plays him there.

And Lucas started his career as an attacking midfielder.

The real question is, how long before he switches them? :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

And Lucas started his career as an attacking midfielder.

The real question is, how long before he switches them? :pac:

HE will also bring back carra and play him up front :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Barry Glendenning chipped in with word from someone, who he says is clued up and said that the owners had indicated that after the West Ham debacle, Rodgers had to get 7 points from the next 9 which sounds like hooey (and Honigstein wondered about it) but Bazza was adamant that this fella was well connected.
    I wouldn't believe that to be true - he lost the game after West Ham so the most he could possibly achieve now is 6/9. The performance against Man Utd was the tamest yet and never likely to achieve a result of significance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I heard Coutinho played in nets once, well techically it was fly keeper in a street match when he was 7, I wonder if BR might try him there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I hope the 433 is never seen again for some time. either we go back to the diamond on sunday or 3 5 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

monkeys and typewritters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

ricero wrote: »
    I hope the 433 is never seen again for some time. either we go back to the diamond on sunday or 3 5 2.

3 at the back is madness imo, It invites the other team on to our defense which isnt great at the moment, Need to play on the front foot especially at home to Norwich.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

ricero wrote: »

Im hoping for this team:

Migs

Skittles-Gomez-Sakho
    Clyne
    Moreno
    Can
    Milner

Coutinho

Benteke
    Ings

monkeys and typewritters

Sh1te and Walls

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Norwich are going to beat us, aren't they?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't want to see 433 or 352, but it's 99.6% likely to be one of those.

If they score more goals then us, then yeah, probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

"If we don't play well, we have less chance of winning."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

352 is a disaster if moreno is playing as a wb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

shamrock55 wrote: »

But but but Moreno is brilliant

shamrock55 wrote: »

No moreno was solid last year when Sakho was playing inside him, hes useless there when Lovren is played in the CB slot beside him IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

3 at the back is madness imo, It invites the other team on to our defense which isnt great at the moment, Need to play on the front foot especially at home to Norwich.

it was poorly executed last night, but if both wb's know what they are at and play agressively up and down the line it can be decent. I don't have a problem adding some extra bodies in defence if it allows us not to be so stupidly dogmatic with zone marking. If it frees up say Skrtel to be the free man and go close down the danger then I'm ok with it.

Last night was more like a 3-4-2-1 at times as we never really got bodies up to support the striker. Ings showed a bit of promise, I'd like to see him play up with Benteke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

We never seem to get bodies up to support the striker though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

naughtb4 wrote: »
    We never seem to get bodies up to support the striker though

That looked deliberate to me last night, but if Ings was told to go play up top with Benteke he'd relish it. I think Clyne and Moreno would revel in having 2 targets up there too. The width would stretch out the Norwich defense and leave space for coutinho to operate in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

jonny24ie wrote: »
    No moreno was solid last year when Sakho was playing inside him, hes useless there when Lovren is played in the CB slot beside him IMO.

Moreno was average last season no matter who was playing centre back. I know Lovren is public enemy number one at the moment but he cannot be blamed for Moreno's defesive shortcomings.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement