Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Gbear wrote: »
    You can want Rodgers gone and acknowledge that he got it right today.

The problem is that it's taken him this long.

He got it wrong again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

On this evidence, Barca might be interested in signing Mignolet ...

https://vine.co/v/ePq7leH3Wvp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

mav79 wrote: »
    Once Rodgers started making subs all formations went out the window, players were all over the place with no structure. What started promising with a formation and players for the most part playing in their positions fell apart when Rodgers started making changes.

Absolutely this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He got it wrong again.

I disagree he got it right today but it took too long. It will take a few games to get the fluidity of that formation going, games he doesn't have.

rob316 wrote: »
    I disagree he got it right today but it took too long. It will take a few games to get the fluidity of that formation going, games he doesn't have.

He should have started Ings.

Benteke looks lost for us.

He'll never flourish under Rodgers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

He should have started Ings.

That's not going to happen, benteke is the marquee buy he will continue to start and try to forge a partnership with Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

WTF is he actually talking about?!!? :confused:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Lots of random words that don't portray how things are at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Brendan Rodgers.
    “The big thing about Liverpool is the beauty of playing at Anfield,” said the Liverpool boss. “It’s a real special place to play, but you’ve got to have courage and bravery to play here.

Something as the manager of Liverpool FC he has been afraid to do since Luis Suarez left the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Benteke looks lost for us.

He'll never flourish under Rodgers

Probably more a case that Liverpool look lost with Benteke, not his fault. I'd never have bought him but he ain't going anywhere for now so he and Studge/Ings will need to be worked into a partnership

Benteke is a top player who scored the goal of the season last week. By now he should have formed a good striking partnership with Ings but Rodgers has stuck with one striker apart from today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

I've lost all faith in Rodgers. The amount of time he's been at the club he should have some idea of how he wants the team to play or what he best team is. Instead I get the impression he is sitting at home desperately flicking through the coaching manual, looking for some mythical formation that Barca played in the 80s that might be the solution to the teams woes.

Sometimes when things aren't going well for a manager/team you are inclined to give them time if you can see there is a clear plan that they are working on, that given time they can refine into a successful formula. With the current team the only impression I get is one of desperate tinkering, different formations, players in different positions, trying anything in hope rather than expectation.

I should add that I don't share the personal dislike of Rodgers that some other people on here do. I think he's tried his best and his openness to different tactics is refreshing from a British manager. It's just that when you've tried all of your ideas and none of them work, it's time to call things to an end.

Carlisle will be licking their lips for Wednesday night, they must fancy just going at Liverpool esp if the line up is very much second string. Northampton Mk 2 beckons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Today showed the difference having a left footer on the left can make to our attacking play. That Sakho is much better than lovren. That 433 doesnt suit the players we have. That 2 up front would suit the players we have more. If lads on here can see this how can rodgers not.
    I cant understand if the ultimate plan was to play 2 up front when sturridge got fit why ings wasnt given a shot upfront. I know ings is derided somewhat on here by some but he is a much better player than he is given credit for. I think he has shown that in the limited pitch time he has got. He is a very good 3rd striker option and TBH probably suits the style of play we have better than benteke. Comparisons with the likes of lambert and borini are way off the mark IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

I had a lovely bit of toast this morning.

I'm surprised you can remember, it's usually forgotten very quickly. :-)

Ings has impressed me no end to be honest, Kuyt attitude with a better touch.

Really good young player I said it all summer. Posters comparing him to borini proved how little they knew of him.

A fine 3rd choice striker.

• Advertisement

I seen a lot of him at burnley and have bigged him up on this thread for the past 2 years he has always impressed me when Ive seen him. Including 3/4 times live. He has a great attitude.

I was against buying him (has that tribunal fee been sorted yet?!) but happy to be apparently wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

He really impressed me today. His goal was top drawer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Were you at the game today?

No, but I try to go twice a year and bring one of my kids with me each time.
    Did you wear your full kit today?

No but I do have an official merchandise jersey bought at the stadium shop, as do my two kids.

Have you paid the nearly €800 a year it takes to get Sky Sports and BT Sports and they still won't let you see every game?

Depressingly yes, I had to cut back last year but still have Sky Sports, not BT. Had it free for the first year but when they started charging me for it I dropped it.
    What makes a proper fan in your eyes?

Actions more than words and living the YNWA values ie supporting players, the manager and owners when they need it most . It's easy to criticise from afar when you have fcuk all skin in the game and things aren't going well and just as easy to hop on the bandwagon when they are going well a la 2103/14. Such people aren't proper fans IMO.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"?

Correct. When FSG came in the club was a debt laden shambles. They got rid of all those problems, put the club on a stable footing, have invested heavily in players and are turning Anfield into a modern state of the art stadium. That's totally forgotten by some who claim FSG "don't give a fcuk". I think it's embarrassing how quickly so many people forget what they have done and are continuing to do for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

I know it's early but I'm worried about the Firminho signing.

doc_17 wrote: »

me too doesnt fit into the team if we stick with todays formation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Thought he did well today when he came on. Himself lallana and Coutinho linked up well at times, seemed to suit them to have a pacey little player like Ings in front of them, creating a bit of space for them to work in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Im more worried about our entire midfield - its the worst in the league

me too doesnt fit into the team if we stick with todays formation.

If you swapped Can or Milner for Coutinho and play Firmino behind the front 2, that could work. He really needs a run in there or play him as a striker. He has definitely shown flashes of his ability just nothing consistent yet.

rob316 wrote: »
    If you swapped Can or Milner for Coutinho and play Firmino behind the front 2, that could work. He really needs a run in there or play him as a striker. He has definitely shown flashes of his ability just nothing consistent yet.
    I think it has to be a diamond to get coutinho and firmino into the team if we play 2 up top.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Im more worried about our entire midfield - its the worst in the league

Henderson is a huge loss, Milner was brutal today and against United and West Ham. He covers the most ground but basic things like passing the ball and retaining possession he has been so poor at, Allen would even be a better option. Starting to see why Man City never played him in the centre.

• Advertisement

I think it has to be a diamond to get coutinho and firmino into the team if we play 2 up top.

Ya, and we could do with the creativity of Coutinho in there, a midfield of Milner, Lucas/Can is just too workman like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Our trouble is the fear that creeps in when opposing team wins ball and takes possession,at this point we back off. What we use to do was attack in numbers the opposing player who has the ball. We need that team approach to win ball back fast. It's always one player going to the ball and its so easy play it around him.
    The midfield is individuals no partnerships in there at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ah christ its so frustrating!

Even though the performance was a bit better in parts, I can't even give Rodgers any credit for it...in fact all it does it showcase his biggest problems.

Two up front, Moreno and Sakho in and suddenly we look much more cohesive. Literally what people have shouted for for weeks. I think had he done the final thing people asked for and played a 4-4-2 diamond we might have gotten the 3 points. But instead of stays reserved, and then goes nuts with substitutions all over the place, when 2 up top was clearly giving us opportunities.

Just maddening stuff really. I do think Firmino will be fine when/if played behind two strikers. The sooner we get Coutinho into a more central midfield role the better I think...in the final third he always seems to need to try the hardest thing. When he plays a bit deeper he controls a game more effectively.

What today shows for me is that we have the players to play well under a better manager, which in itself is a positive I guess.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Brendan Rodgers or Luis Suarez?

With Suarez:
    Norwich City 2 - 5 Liverpool
    Liverpool 5 - 0 Norwich City
    Liverpool 5 - 1 Norwich City
    Norwich City 2 - 3 Liverpool

Without Suarez:
    Liverpool 1 - 1 Norwich City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Delighted Ings is proving his doubters wrong. He's a cracking 3rd choice striker and on current form he should be starting up front with Benteke. When Sturridge is back fit it would be good to see a combination of Sturridge and Ings up front. Pace, intelligence, runs in behind the defenders and relentlessness. Great touch for his goal today and it's not a once off either. He's unlucky to not have more goals for us already.

Result wasn't good enough v Norwich, but team selection was definitely a lot better and tactics are getting closer to what we actually need. Sakho looked pretty assured throughout and has to start next week. Moreno is such a good attacking threat when we play a back 5 too. Long may himself and Sakho be paired in our starting 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Morning

Take your bloody optimism somewhere else!

#Rodgersout

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Just watched the highlights now on MOTD. Had such a crappy stream yesterday that I only heard half the game.

Overall I am disappointed with the draw as we did create a hell of a lot more chances but the final touch or shot was missing. Still it was a step in the right direction and the part that worries me about Rodgers is not the transfers (let's be honest for most teams it is 50/50), or the 'outstanding' press conferences, it's about his stubbornness. He can not adapt fast enough to the game, especially when it is happening right in front of him. He's very weak in that respect. Took him until last week to finally get Sakho in and two strikers....that's far too long. Same with the back three and left footers. It takes him too long to see this. I am sure his team is telling him this but he is too stuck in his ways? He has to adapt quicker.

Mig was very poor for that goal. If you commit yourself then you have to get the ball and really punch it out of the stadium. Cou was a bit too selfish today, a better option was available. But I was happy to see a lot more attacking and options in the box. Haven't seen that for a while. We've been too concerned with protecting the goal in recent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭skippy15

Still think with almost 5 new players in starting line up going take a while to bed in (clyne milner benteke firmino gomez can as a cm even)
    But we need start players who fit the system and are on form; moreno ibe ings
    in meantime before we hit form should still be beating likes of norwich bordeaux even the hammers.
    worry is rodgers doesnt seem have a definite plan or shape at this stage which is criminal..so if our formation drops benteke firmino for a while so be it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Is the glass half full or half empty?? Chances missed & conceding a sloppy goal.

I'm not convinced by our manager. But except Klopp who else is out there that is get able that would excite the fans, motivate the players with a proven record of success.

I don't want Ancelotti, great manager with clubs that bankroll plenty of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

16 pts from the last 15 league games and 4 wins from 17 games including cups.

I really hoped it would work out for Rodgers but we're in season 4 now and I cant even pin point a style of play at this stage.

With the resources he has had he can have no complaints if the axe is yielded soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Is the glass half full or half empty?? Chances missed & conceding a sloppy goal.

I'm not convinced by our manager. But except Klopp who else is out there that is get able that would excite the fans, motivate the players with a proven record of success.

Jasus turning your nose up at Carlo ancelloti one of the the top 5 managers in world football. I'd take him in a heartbeat probaly even over klopp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I think Your team have a lot of great players.

I also think if your fired Rodgers this morning, Your assistant manager ( Caretaker Manager) wouldn't get worse results as your team are getting now.

Fire Rodgers, Take the financial hit, put a Caretaker Manager in now as its still the start of the season, and look for a new one.

Liverpool can turn this around, Just need a Good manager to do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

IF FSG are to remain owners, then they need a manger who can get us punching above our weight.

We're not going to be able to spend like Chelsea, City & Utd so we have to be smart - get a manger who is tactically astute and can bring confidence back to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

FSG bankrolled Rodgers with £300M.

I'd say it would be a safe bet if Ancelotti had £300m and three seasons he would have won something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

16 pts from the last 15 league games and 4 wins from 17 games including cups.

I really hoped it would work out for Rodgers but we're in season 4 now and I cant even pin point a style of play at this stage.

With the resources he has had he can have no complaints if the axe is yielded soon.

Frightening to see it spelled out as blatantly as that. 15 games isn't a blip, regardless of whether its spread over two different campaigns or not.

Over a season, that would leave us in drastic trouble.

For me, the time has come for a change, whether FSG do it or not is another question. 8 points from 6 games - extrapolate it over a season, we're talking 50ish points. Maybe slightly higher if we have a run that doesn't include any of last seasons top sides. That would leave us where?

Rodgers isn't even treading water at this point. Bar finishing 2nd once, the team is performing worse than it was under Dalglish and Benitez at the end. At least there was a cup run or some decent European form in those seasons to counteract the poorer league games.

I don't expect to be sitting in the top 4 each season but surely it should at least be fun to watch my team? To see them at least trying, if they are failing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

brevity wrote: »
    IF FSG are to remain owners, then they need a manger who can get us punching above our weight.

We're not going to be able to spend like Chelsea, City & Utd so we have to be smart - get a manger who is tactically astute and can bring confidence back to the team.

I think its a bit of a myth that Liverpool can't spend. They can and they have. I thought Rodgers might eventually come good but it really needs to happen soon. He is starting to run out of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's not wrong to want a new manager as soon as possible, at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Also, I really don't see us getting Ancelotti or Klopp if Rodgers is sacked at any stage soon. I'd say De Boer, Cocu, Garry Monk or Koeman seem more likely. Unai Emery is pretty short odds with Sky Bet too, I think he's 4th or 5th favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Also, I really don't see us getting Ancelotti or Klopp if Rodgers is sacked at any stage soon. I'd say De Boer, Cocu, Garry Monk or Koeman seem more likely. Unai Emery is pretty short odds with Sky Bet too, I think he's 4th or 5th favourite.

No offence to Monk but I don't think he is the answer. It would be Rodgers all over again. He won't attract big player.

De Boer may be an option.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement