Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I saw signs yesterday that he could get it right but that was the first time since Spurs at white hart lane 12 months ago that we actually looked like an attacking threat. Sturridge comes back and its supposed to be rosy again? **** that, its inevitable he will break down again and what happens then? He doesn't seem to have any trust in Ings/Origi/Benteke to play together just like he didn't with Lambert/Balotelli/Borini.

Milner is a big problem for me, he was the weak link out there yesterday. Shouldn't be a CM, he would look more at home in attacking midfield but we are already heavily stocked there. Maybe he could rotate DM with Lucas? Our midfield looked poor against Norwich so god knows how it will look against the likes of Chelsea or City. I can see Allen coming back in to cover Henderson, he's the only one who can actually pass and recycle possession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

jpboard1 wrote: »
    No offence to Monk but I don't think he is the answer. It would be Rodgers all over again. He won't attract big player.

De Boer may be an option.

Agreed on Monk. It would simply start the 'project' over again and we'd be here in 4 years time lamenting little improvement and big spend. Only likely sign of improvement could be in transfers - not that Monk attracts big players but he seems to have quite a keen eye for a bargain. Most of Rodgers' low-value signings have been a waste of time, but Swansea have done well with Ayew, Gomis, etc. at very low cost.

I don't have an overwhelming favourite for the position myself. Just someone who can put an imprint on the team and get our players playing well and in their own positions. Someone who identifies weaknesses and addresses them before they become endemic of the whole team. Whether it means a return to Benitez/Houllier style defence and difficulty in being broken down, or a free-flowing attacking set-up wouldn't bother me (although I know which would be more fun to watch!!)

What about Julen Lopetegui or Jorge Jesus?

And, a potentially controversial one, how would people feel about Andre Villas Boas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

In all fairness, BRs net spend must be around 120M? Over 3 seasons with the wage bill has also been cut. I'm not excusing how the money was spent but he hasn't bankrupted us or anything.

He bought a new squad with that money. I think the squad is in better shape now than when he took over, first 11 is lacking quality definitely. Theres a good squad there for a new manager to work with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

And, a potentially controversial one, how would people feel about Andre Villas Boas?

He'd be a perfect fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

A definite no to AVB from pretty much everyone in this thread I'd imagine
    **** that.

Definitely don't want Monk either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If I'm manager and I want to get this team clicking and scoring goals, I'll be using Carlisle as a punching bag on Wednesday with a full strength team. A big win would get the confidence flowing again, then carry that onto Villa and Sion. Its a different team going to Goodison then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Gary Monk is like the glove that fits the Swansea hand. Liverpool need to do what United did after Moyes, get in someone with great experience of winning. Monk is doing a great job but lacks the experience that Liverpool need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It think it'd be more controversial to AVB to suggest England to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Monchengladbach are looking to convince Klopp to join them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

While Mignolet is getting plenty of (justified) criticism about the goal, it would have been easily avoided if Ings had followed him man and kept goal-side of him but Ings forgot his job on this occasion.

Looking at him afterwards, he was much better in tracking his man when defending, though.

Lesson learned, hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Klippity Klop tick tock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Is Dr Steve Peters still around , to me it is the Rodgers who could really do with a session.
    in my opinion he is having a crisis of confidence and it is infecting his team selections , team formations ,substitutions and the team morale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

not yet wrote: »
    Klippity Kloop tick tock.

Is he really that good?

Is Dr Steve Peters still around , to me it is the Rodgers who could really do with a session.
    in my opinion he is having a crisis of confidence and it is infecting his team selections , team formations ,substitutions and the team morale

Dr Steve Peters has probably given up trying to help Liverpool. I'd say he's absconded to some hippy commune to try and forget about his time there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Is he really that good?

Has to be better then the dead man walking..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Hey guys,

I've just paid my Sky Sports bill and washed my official Liverpool scarf.

YNWA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

not yet wrote: »
    Has to be better then the dead man walking..

I agree that Rodgers looks in serious trouble. But all this talk of Klopp just seems to be a bandwagon. What's so special about him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

brevity wrote: »
    IF FSG are to remain owners, then they need a manger who can get us punching above our weight.

We're not going to be able to spend like Chelsea, City & Utd so we have to be smart - get a manger who is tactically astute and can bring confidence back to the team.

This, this and this again

Sums up my opinion exactly. The manager has to get everything out of the squad and then a little bit more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Hey guys,

I've just paid my Sky Sports bill and washed my official Liverpool scarf.

YNWA

A real supporter, unlike those day trippers heading to anfield diluting the atmosphere...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

What's so special about him?

He says funny things sometimes.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I haven't clicked those links, but does he speak English at all? I think I remember seeing somewhere that he doesn't, but I might be thinking of someone else. If he doesn't speak decent English then no point considering him I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

I agree that Rodgers looks in serious trouble. But all this talk of Klopp just seems to be a bandwagon. What's so special about him?

Bandwagon? Are you aware of what Klopp did with Dortmund with a fairly small budget?

5starpool wrote: »
    I haven't clicked those links, but does he speak English at all? I think I remember seeing somewhere that he doesn't, but I might be thinking of someone else. If he doesn't speak decent English then no point considering him I reckon.

Ya, Google says that his English might not be the best...where's that poster who worked with Emre Can?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

The fact that we cant beat Norwich at home, Im dreading what City and Chelsea will do to us over the next number of weeks. Even Everton will be licking their lips

The fact that we cant beat Norwich at home, Im dreading what City and Chelsea will do to us over the next number of weeks. Even Everton will be licking their lips

The problem is the entire league is licking there lips at the thought of us right now.
    I can remember a time when teams dreaded playing us after a bad result as the backlash usually meant they were getting a hiding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

FSG bankrolled Rodgers with £300M.

I'd say it would be a safe bet if Ancelotti had £300m and three seasons he would have won something.

That stat is a little one sided though isnt it?

That stat doesnt say what other teams in the same period have spent.

For example Arsenal spent 10-15 million this summer?? (Cech and some kid) If they where in the Scottish league they would have spent more than anyone...........

Villa spent more than the whole Dutch league put together...............

Means nothing.

Look at the money spent over the last 4 years

4 years ago the table stood like this (2011-2012 which is the final table just before Rodgers took over)
    1st - Man City 89
    2nd - Man United 89
    3rd - Arsenal 70
    4th - Spurs 69
    6th - Chelsea 64
    8th - Liverpool 61

Since summer 2011:
    United have spent £390M (not including falcao loan fee)
    City have spent £350M
    Chelsea have spent £380M
    Liverpool have spent £270M (not including Ings tribunal fee)
    Spurs have spent £245M
    Arsenal have spent £200M

In 4 years we have been the 4th biggest spenders on a team that was 8th best.

We spent £25M more than Spurs who where 4th (8pts better) and £70M more than Arsenal who where 3rd (9pts better)

So yes we have spent ALMOST £300 million BUT if nobody else spent anything, that would actually be a good point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

FSG bankrolled Rodgers with £300M.

I'd say it would be a safe bet if Ancelotti had £300m and three seasons he would have won something.

Net?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

klose wrote: »
    A real supporter, unlike those day trippers heading to anfield diluting the atmosphere...

Those guys don't understand what YNWA means. You got to live it and breathe it, and of course pay 24:99 for the Official Liverpool F.C Boxer Shorts.

• Advertisement

Net?

We haven't been finding the back of it much lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Gary Monk will not be the replacement, it makes no sense to replace what used to be a flavour of the day with another flavour of the day. That is not to say Monk won't go on to do good things, but it's just far too risky an option. I think the next manager is going to be someone proven at a high level. De Boer is not that guy either given how woeful the Dutch league is these days. Klopp is the very obvious target - but with each day that passes, the window of opportunity in getting him narrows. I still reckon that there is a decent chance that Benitez is going to be our next full time manager. I know people laughed at me when I said I had money on it at the end of last season, but I was and am convinced that Rodgers will not last the season, and Benitez may not either if there is any kind of stumble at Real. If experience at the highest level is the brief and Klopp does not materialize - then the very obvious candidate would be Benitez. A lot of what if's but we know Benitez would want the job and we can be bpretty confident that an experienced manager will be FSG's priority. With that in mind, would there be a better fit than Benitez assuming Klopp is unavailable?

Mr.H wrote: »
    That stat is a little one sided though isnt it?

That stat doesnt say what other teams in the same period have spent.

For example Arsenal spent 10-15 million this summer?? (Cech and some kid) If they where in the Scottish league they would have spent more than anyone...........

Villa spent more than the whole Dutch league put together...............

Means nothing.

Look at the money spent over the last 4 years

4 years ago the table stood like this (2011-2012 which is the final table just before Rodgers took over)
    1st - Man City 89
    2nd - Man United 89
    3rd - Arsenal 70
    4th - Spurs 69
    6th - Chelsea 64
    8th - Liverpool 61

Since summer 2011:
    United have spent £390M (not including falcao loan fee)
    City have spent £350M
    Chelsea have spent £380M
    Liverpool have spent £270M (not including Ings tribunal fee)
    Spurs have spent £245M
    Arsenal have spent £200M

In 4 years we have been the 4th biggest spenders on a team that was 8th best.

We spent £25M more than Spurs who where 4th (8pts better) and £70M more than Arsenal who where 3rd (9pts better)

So yes we have spent ALMOST £300 million BUT if nobody else spent anything, that would actually be a good point

I don't give a sh1t what other teams spend or do I give a sh1t about what Liverpool do and Liverpool football club under the management of Brendan Rodgers spent/wasted £300m on new players 90% of them are average and we are in a worse place now than when he was hired.

Brendan isn't and has never been good enough to manage Liverpool football club.

Those guys don't understand what YNWA means. You got to live it and breathe it, and of course pay 24:99 for the Official Liverpool F.C Boxer Shorts.

And matching socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

You can get 13/8 on Rodgers to be sacked by the new year.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/liverpool/brendan-rodgers-to-be-in-charge-of-liverpool-on-1-1-16

Good value imo. There's actually an arb opportunity available there because PP are giving 11/10 that he will be manager by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

- then the very obvious candidate would be Benitez. A lot of what if's but we know Benitez would want the job and we can be bpretty confident that an experienced manager will be FSG's priority. With that in mind, would there be a better fit than Benitez assuming Klopp is unavailable?

Have you been away for a bit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

corwill wrote: »

He is due to start falling out with his bosses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sakho as well as being a good defender (apart from the mistake fo the corner) is also a huge reason why we attack better. His passes through the lines are brillant. Allen when fit should come in for Milner who isn't good enough in CM.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    He is due to start falling out with his bosses.

Yeah, let's count on that. He's had a whole 4 La Liga games, 10 points, he'll be available by the end of September!

Milner was guaranteed a central midfield role and made Vice-Captain by Brendan Rodgers do you really think he will be dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Milner was guaranteed a central midfield role and made Vice-Captain by Brendan Rodgers do you really think he will be dropped.

He should be shunted out to LM/ LW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

5starpool wrote: »

Rafa wasn't entirely fluent when he got the job. I'd imagine Klopp knows enough to keep things ticking.

EDIT: I see everyone is talking about Emery. I'm tired and hungover and have made a fool of myself. Apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Im not saying it will happen but Milner should be a squad player in his current form. Firmino can play well from the left I think too. A 4-3-3 with 2 wide forwards in Firmino & Sturridge with Clyne & Moreno overlaping could work .Benteke probably won't be fit .
    Something like this for Villa at home.
    Mignolet
    Clyne
    Can
    Sakho----Moreno
    Lucas
    Allen(if fit)---Coutinho
    ---Sturridge----Ings----Firmino----

corwill wrote: »
    I don't think anyone other than me has said Rafa has a realistic chance at returning.

I don't think anyone other than me has said Rafa has a realistic chance at returning.

For good reason, until at least May.

Rafa is not coming back this season and most likely never will. He would be well down my list for replacments anyway , his style is too Negative to win an English League .

Rafa is not coming back this season and most likely never will. He would be well down my list for replacments anyway , his style is too Negative to win an English League .

Too negative... Pffft...Mourinho style has also been considered negative and he has won loads.

Anyways, Rafa won't be back - he's managing Madrid at the moment.

Klopp or Ancelotti - they have to be our targets. They would walk into any of the teams we are supposed to be competing with. Need to get them in before they are snapped up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If we don't count all of the games till now, and if we win our next game against Aston Villa, then we're averaging three points a game.

So we're grand, like. Nothing to worry about.

Too negative... Pffft...Mourinho style has also been considered negative and he has won loads.

Anyways, Rafa won't be back - he's managing Madrid at the moment.

Klopp or Ancelotti - they have to be our targets. They would walk into any of the teams we are supposed to be competing with. Need to get them in before they are snapped up.

I think FSG might be a bit more insistent on a DoF this time around, which I can't see Rafa going for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I don't give a sh1t what other teams spend or do I give a sh1t about what Liverpool do and Liverpool football club under the management of Brendan Rodgers spent/wasted £300m on new players 90% of them are average and we are in a worse place now than when he was hired.

Brendan isn't and has never been good enough to manage Liverpool football club.

I cant say I agree in anyway

It matters of course what other teams have spent.

Sure its great that we have spent almost 300 million but if other teams spent more than that then how is that relevant?

We "improved" the team by 300 million but they "improved" their teams by 400 million and they where already way ahead of us............

You slag off our own players but you fail to see that other teams also struggle to buy players.

Is Fellaini better than Lallana?? He cost more

Is Shaw better than Moreno??

Is Gabriel better than Lovren??? really!!!

I said a few weeks ago that John Terry was finished and by the end of the season he wouldnt be a regular in the Chelsea side. I said that he right now as one of Chelsea's very few center backs would not improve our team (on the basis that Chelsea are struggling for defenders right now). low and behold I was right and Terry is finished.

Our team back in 2011-12

Reina
    Johnson---Carragher---Škrtel----Enrique
    Downing---Henderson---Gerrard---Kuyt
    Suarez----Carroll

Doni, Agger, Kuyt, Adam, Bellamy, Spearing, Maxi, Lucas

That team finished 8th by the way

Your telling me that our team right now isnt better than that??

Migs
    Clyne----Skrtel----Sakho---Moreno
    Lucas
    Hendo----Milner
    Coutinho
    Sturridge----Benteke

Lovren, Gomez, Can, Firmino, Ings, Ibe

our team is in a much better place now than it was when Rodgers took over.

Mr.H wrote: »
    Our team back in 2011-12

Reina
    Johnson---Carragher---Škrtel----Enrique
    Downing---Henderson---Gerrard---Kuyt
    Suarez----Carroll

Doni, Agger, Kuyt, Adam, Bellamy, Spearing, Maxi, Lucas

That team finished 8th by the way

Your telling me that our team right now isnt better than that??

Migs
    Clyne----Skrtel----Sakho---Moreno
    Lucas
    Hendo----Milner
    Coutinho
    Sturridge----Benteke

Lovren, Gomez, Can, Firmino, Ings, Ibe

our team is in a much better place now than it was when Rodgers took over.
    Much better? I am not so sure. There is more strength in depth today, but the first 11 from your older team is actually stronger in my opinion.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement