Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

MD1990 wrote: »
    Put in a good word for Harry to get a youth team role. He loves the youngsters.

I want to be head of miscommunications or at least the brand champion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I want to be head of miscommunications or at least the brand champion.

Executive SAP Engineer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Benzino wrote: »
    Maybe that's FSG plan, move and turn us into a MLS team. Surely we would win that league, right? RIGHT?

No, no, we should be realistic and sit around in a puddle of our fear induced widdle, examining balance sheets and clutching our pearls at the suggestion that things could be better if we just strapped on a pair out on the actual football pitch. Just on the other side of the Atlantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Benzino wrote: »
    Maybe that's FSG plan, move and turn us into a MLS team. Surely we would win that league, right? RIGHT?

Liverpoolhampton Boston Wildcats
    Knex. wrote: »
    Executive SAP Engineer.

Executive Senior Assistant Part-time Engineer?

Liverpoolhampton Boston Wildcats

Executive Senior Assistant Part-time Engineer?

Executive Save All Pandas Engineer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Another Roy Rodgers? I thought we were done with American Cowboys.

Roy of the Rodgers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Maybe we're going about this the wrong way, looking for Rodgers to be sacked?

Instead, lets petition for him to be loaned out to Barnet so the lad can get some experience, with a view to coming back stronger next year to show his character and grab his opportunities with the first team ( ;) )

I'm sure FSG will green light that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

My point is people get passionate and say things that pop straight into the heads and when it comes to the internet there is less a filter as you are saying it to a screen and not a real human being.

Shut your screen face screenhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

My point is people get passionate and say things that pop straight into the heads and when it comes to the internet there is less a filter as you are saying it to a screen and not a real human being.

I think this fits here to illustrate your point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

garra wrote: »
    We don't have a manager like that because FSG didn't want a manager like that. They purposefully brought in a younger man with a positive vernacular to work with what we have and bring on the younger players, and not make too much of a fuss if big money wasn't spent.
    For their model, FSG wanted an older head as Director of Football (Louis van Gaal) and a young manager (Frank de Boer). LVG agreed to take the role but de Boer declined the manager's job. FSG appointed Brendan Rodgers who was adamant he would not work with a Director of Football.

Last season, de Boer made clear that he would be interested in the Liverpool job if it became available which would leave FSG with the task of finding a suitable Director of Football to work with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

From the Football Weekly podcast:

What's the difference between Daniel Sturridge and David Cameron?

Sturridge likes to hog the ball......

......... Cameron likes to ball the hog :D

Last January Rodgers said we'd challenge for the league this year. 6 games in, and he's changed it to next year.

He's not even doing "Our year" right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I see the Barca tapping up of the Count has started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I see the Barca tapping up of the Count has started

Ya, he's probably gone next summer no matter what happens regarding the manager situation. 30-40 million I'd say.

We can spend it all on Mahrez or some player on a purple patch season.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Knex. wrote: »
    Last January Rodgers said we'd challenge for the league this year. 6 games in, and he's changed it to next year.

He's not even doing "Our year" right.

Ì haven't seen him say we'll challenge for the league next season yet. If he stays I think it's inevitable he will say it probably, but I don't think he has yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

brevity wrote: »
    Ya, he's probably gone next summer no matter what happens regarding the manager situation. 30-40 million I'd say.

We'll get another few seasons from him. He's far too inconsistent for Barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

brevity wrote: »

Yeah, Bolasie is so last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

So John Motson thinks that there is a conspiracy against Rodgers ?

When you are getting beaten out the gate at home against ****ing West Ham and cannot beat Norwich at home, after spending hundreds of millions, I think I am entitled to voice an opinion.

Being a Liverpool supporter at the moment is embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

ebbsy wrote: »

When you are getting beaten out the gate at home against ****ing West Ham and cannot beat Norwich at home, after spending hundreds of millions, I think I am entitled to voice an opinion.

Same West Ham who beat both Arsenal and Man City away from home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Same West Ham who beat both Arsenal and Man City away from home

Those teams didn't get there asses handed to them. Different types of losses, wouldn't you agree?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I know West Ham seem fantastic away from home right now, but it doesn't defend that performance we put in at Anfield. One of the worst I've ever seen. It was just unacceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Those teams didn't get there asses handed to them. Different types of losses, wouldn't you agree?

I don't agree.

I didn't see City but Arsenal had their arses handed to them for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Things do look a bit suspicious. The way Gerrard slipped that time, the way the Transfer Committee purchased all those sh1te players to wreck Rodgers buzz, the way other teams are coming to Anfield and beating us.. its all a bit suss if you ask me. I daresay the same people who planted the bombs in the Twin Towers are behind this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

there is a conspiracy against the Rodgers . it is from people who have genuine love and affection for the club who are really worried about the direction it is going and are voicing it as The Rodgers who is the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Thing is, those 5 points dropped, if won, would have left us in an ok position.

We are buying players and making them worse.

Then when they leave they start playing better.

T-K-O wrote: »
    We'll get another few seasons from him. He's far too inconsistent for Barca

I dunno, I could see them making an offer. He is inconsistent but this season I'd say he's on a bit of a mission to get out of Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Thing is, those 5 points dropped, if won, would have left us in an ok position.

We are buying players and making them worse.

Then when they leave they start playing better.

We'd probably be in second. 2 points off the top.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I don't agree.

I didn't see City but Arsenal had their arses handed to them for sure.

Arsenal had 14 shots to 6 from West Ham. The hammers defended well and Arsenal weren't clinical.

Liverpool had 8 shots to 9 from West Ham. They gave us a hiding; I don't think the same can be said of the Arsenal game. I didn't see the Arsenal game live so I'm open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Arsenal were well beaten on the day, West ham showed up and did a job on them. Doesnt matter. They showed up and did a job on us too. We were both beaten. Couldnt care less about who had more shots on goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

As others said West ham have taken 3 scalps in 3 away games.
    The Norwich game we should have won comfortably except for profligacy (Coutinho :mad:) & mignolet fcuk up.

How you can say its embarrassing to be a LFC fan is beyond me, yeah results not going our way and all the keyboard warriors want Rodgers gone. Whats the point getting rid of him IF no one better to replace.
    We will be going around in circles in 5 years from now

I'm not happy about the current situation but there ain't many alternatives aside from Klopp.

https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ96/status/646285703245090816

Liverpool’s players have been warned they just need to cope with the pressure that comes with playing for the club. (Paul Joyce)

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Arsenal were well beaten on the day, West ham showed up and did a job on them. Doesnt matter. They showed up and did a job on us too. We were both beaten. Couldnt care less about who had more shots on goal.

Not the point i was trying to make tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

LIVERPOOL: WILL FSG STILL SEARCH FOR A SHORTCUT IF THEY SACK RODGERS?

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/09/liverpool-will-fsg-still-search-for-a-shortcut-if-they-sack-rodgers/

by Gareth Roberts

BY now you know the stats. The facts and figures. You’ve seen the league table and you know the form. It’s been an underwhelming start to the season. In seven games in all competitions, Liverpool have managed only five goals. The manager is the favourite to ‘win’ the Premier League sack race and the Reds sit 13th in the table.

It’s grim. No fun. The slice of life devoted to all this isn’t in any way enjoyable right now.

So we go again on Brendan Rodgers. The tedious, draining arguments that are regurgitated week in, week out and will be until the day he is told to pack his bags are trotted out again. Let’s recap. He should have been sacked in the summer. He wasn’t. Instead, he was backed with cash. He was backed with a new coaching set up, a move in itself that saw him tumble further in the popularity stakes as it was perceived as a self-serving move to save skin.

The club also did its bit to make the blame figure clear in all this. At a time when the policy on communication so often seems to be to not communicate, Ian Ayre went out of his way to make it clear that all the summer targets were in the bag. We’ve done our bit, over to you, Brendan, was the message.

Now here we are. It’s not going to plan. The excuses, the context, the mitigating factors — call them what you will — they’re wearing thin. Different formations, different personnel — same results. Teams that should never be leaving Anfield with points are doing just that. With alarming regularity. And now the Reds are closer to the bottom than the top. It feels like another season of mediocrity beckons.

So what are we waiting for? What are we pinning hopes and dreams to? However you weigh it up, there’s not a lot left. A fitter Daniel Sturridge will score goals. A partnership with Christian Benteke might blossom. Roberto Firmino is likely to get better. Jordan Henderson will improve the side when he returns.

Definitely? Maybe. But patience to watch it play out is in short supply. Rodgers has had more than a fair crack at the job and into his fourth year as Liverpool manager he needs to get results regardless of ins and outs, regardless of injuries and regardless of what any other team in the league is doing.

Yesterday, was an improved performance. Shaking off the baggage of the managerial situation for a second, there were positives to take from the performance if not the result. Unlike recent weeks, the set up seemed to suit the majority of our players. Alberto Moreno put in a performance you can get behind. Mamadou Sakho had The Kop singing his name. Danny Ings put in everything you want to see from a Liverpool player and topped his performance with a well-taken goal.

But it wasn’t enough. Liverpool dropped points to a team they needed to beat at Anfield. Again. Even Graeme Souness managed to mastermind a decent Anfield record in his rightly-maligned spell in charge.
    So the calls come again. The manager should go. How much longer? Don’t let a Hodgson situation develop.

Liverpool should be better than this. Clearly. But do we really expect FSG to ditch their man after seven games? I don’t. The owners of the club made their decision in the summer and until results become untenable by their set of criteria, which clearly runs beyond won two, drawn two, lost two in the Premier League, Rodgers will remain.

Carlisle on Wednesday you would expect will result in a Liverpool win no matter what the side fielded. But it will appease no-one. Lose to Aston Villa and the polite knock at FSG’s door will become a battering ram. The undercurrent of unrest among supporters was palpable at Anfield yesterday and it’s becoming increasingly difficult to envisage what sweeps that away.
    The owners will want to wait though. They will want to give Rodgers every opportunity to turn things around.
    Because when they pull the plug — and it seems very much a when rather than an if — it’s another admission to the wider world that they got it wrong. Like when they fired Damien Comolli. Or when they sacked Kenny Dalglish. Like when they wanted a Director of Football but set up a transfer committee instead.

Rodgers exceeded all expectations by taking Liverpool to the brink of the title and he deserves every credit for that. But that can’t hide the concerns that existed when he was appointed. It was FSG’s vision, their strategy, their plan, to hire a young, up and coming coach who would be swimming in fresh waters managerially speaking. They closed the market with their own criteria. Like so often with many of the signings since John Henry and his team of investors came to town, it was their decision to shun the proven for the potential.

So when the Rodgers plan is finally torn up, what comes next? More of the same or a boss that would command respect based on his CV?
    Jurgen Klopp is a name never far away from lips when it comes to Rodgers’ successor yet a report from Simon Hughes in The Independent at the weekend says the German is unlikely to be favoured as Fenway have been warned off him.

And while Carlo Ancelotti would be the kind of balls out appointment many a Red would advocate, what offers confidence that FSG think the same?
    For one, you’d imagine an established, world-renowned winner like Ancelotti would want his own men in and around him. Would he be interested in working with a transfer committee? Would he welcome attempts to influence his thinking from Michael Gordon, the interview-shy FSG shareholder with no track record in football who is the most senior member of that committee?
    Brendan Rodgers is clearly walking a tightrope now as regards his future and many regard his fall to the floor as the answer to all Liverpool’s ills. Yet his sacking, as warranted as it may be, will likely just spark another set of questions. Perhaps even bigger questions.
    The current regime backed itself to find a shortcut to glory. It doesn’t exist. So what now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Knex confirmed as interim Liverpool manager

Knex confirmed as interim Liverpool manager

popeye-baby-why-i-oughta.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

People are focusing too much on the West Ham result. We've been crap now since March. Aside from a 3 month spell of good form, we've been utter dross since the start of last season. Since the beginning of last season the majority of our victories have been scraped while we've been on the end of some hammerings. This is indicative of a mid-table level team and given the amount that has been spent on players that's completely unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Benteke to have a scan on hamstring injury

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/34322602

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

magma69 wrote: »
    People are focusing too much on the West Ham result. We've been crap now since March. Aside from a 3 month spell of good form, we've been utter dross since the start of last season. Since the beginning of last season the majority of our victories have been scraped while we've been on the end of some hammerings. This is indicative of a mid-table level team and given the amount that has been spent on players that's completely unacceptable.

4 wins in 17 games, scary form especially looking at the fixtures coming up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

The club also did its bit to make the blame figure clear in all this. At a time when the policy on communication so often seems to be to not communicate, Ian Ayre went out of his way to make it clear that all the summer targets were in the bag. We’ve done our bit, over to you, Brendan, was the message

I think everyone agreed on the above before the season began. The ball was firmly in Rodgers' court to either sink or swim, and unfortunately for him he's sinking rapidly.

The problem is when it's ok to make the call on his tenure. Most agreed Christmas was his timeframe, and would be willing to stick with that timeframe right now.

We might as well give ourselves the time to find a proper replacement, i.e., a proven winner. No point in sacking him now just for sake of it, only to get in another manager with a disapointingly similar profile, I'll go mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Strange time to be a Liverpool fan. Feels like this time five year's ago if I'm being brutally honest. At a high level this very much feels like that period for Hodgson accepting that the context and details are different. A lot of people could see Hodgson was doomed that early. The quality of football, haphazard tactical approach and team selections are so far off where we'd like them to be that it's very hard to see where a turnaround to the consistent winning we need will come from.

In that context I think Rodgers is a Dead Man Walking (like Hodgson was) and it really becomes a question of how long we have to wait before FSG lose patience. In Hodgson's case, they waited all the way to the New Year before they reached for a band aid. There is every reason to think they'll wait that long again based on the backing provided during the summer. That is irritating as when Dalglish came in he turned the league form around to a level that saw us climbing the table before games ran out. If they had moved a couple of months earlier, an extra league place or two may have been possible.

Ultimately, empty seats is the one thing that will force their hand judging from a half decade ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

magma69 wrote: »

It suits someone pro Rodgers to minimise the sample of results under discussion. If you forget that last season was a real thing that happened with real games and real results of an unacceptable standard then the case against the manager is strong. If you argue that it's a new season and we're only X games in and that's 'too early' to do anything it serves to minimise the problem.

I think the '42 points from 25 league games in the calendar year 2015' speaks for itself. You're suddenly dealing with a substantial relevant sample where we've produced results worthy of a sacking if extended out over a full season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Sacking will be a sticking plaster, the transfer committee nonsense needs to be sorted out.

Can a new man in pick his squad? Can he sell who he wants? What influence on footballing matters do the board or FSG have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

The West Ham games is one piece in a huge jigsaw. The tactics, formation, player recruitment, player selection, lack of pressing, lack of identity, lack of style and a whole host of other stuff which I can't be bothered to mention. Even if I wanted to get behind him I would find it very hard to find any strands to pull at to try justify my position.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It suits someone pro Rodgers to minimise the sample of results under discussion. If you forget that last season was a real thing that happened with real games and real results of an unacceptable standard then the case against the manager is strong. If you argue that it's a new season and we're only X games in and that's 'too early' to do anything it serves to minimise the problem.

I think the '42 points from 25 league games in the calendar year 2015' speaks for itself. You're suddenly dealing with a substantial relevant sample where we've produced results worthy of a sacking if extended out over a full season.

Conversely it suited some last year pre Christmas to not look at a larger sample size as the 2nd half of the previous season was phenomenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

The only way he is getting on out of this is to start winning
    I think we can take villa, everton and spurs but only if he lines the team out the right way.
    It has to be 4,4,2 Width and pace to be provide by the full backs and lucas can provide the extra centra back when needed.
    there has to be two up front. This will get the maximum out of benteke and sturridge. It also give coutninho more options to pick a pass.

Clyne Skrtel Sakho Moreno
    Lucas
    Milner henderson
    Coutinho
    Sturrdige,ings, Benteke (two from the three to start and if one comes off the other comes on)

I'll give him to christmas but there can be no more 3/5 at the back non sense.
    Never had a problem with liverpool not winning anything once they always went out with the intent and belief of beating the other team. That is seriously lack in the last 10 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Enough doom and gloom from me. I'm semi looking forward to tomorrow because we have some bit of a chance to score a few goals. Ings could possibly be a stand out player for us in the coming games. I know Ibe has been poor so far but would like to see him on to offer us a bit of width and hopefully he could regain some much lacking confidence.

Hopefully Firmino finds his feet soon, you can see the odd tasty touch out of him but he's really struggled to adjust so far.

If Firminio is played in the position he played at Hoffenheim then he will probably do well...if he is going to be out on the wing then he probably won't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

As little as i care about the competition,i hope we see a full strength team on Wednesday who just go out and completely blow Carlisle away, stick in 5/6 goals and get the confidence back in these players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'm not sure that a win against Carlisle is going to get the confidence back tbh. As well as confidence, the lack of on-field leadership is a massive issue in the team, it's unfortunate that none of the recent spending has seemed to identify that as an issue worth addressing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

I'm not sure that a win against Carlisle is going to get the confidence back tbh. As well as confidence, the lack of on-field leadership is a massive issue in the team, it's unfortunate that none of the recent spending has seemed to identify that as an issue worth addressing.

If Firmino could grab a goal or 2 along with Ings it would only be a great thing for us.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement