Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Team I want to see tonight:

.......... Bogdan.............
    Gomez Sakho Kolo Moreno
    ..............Can................
    Ibe.....................Lallana
    ............Firmino.............
    .......Ings......Origi..........

Mig has been so dodgy this season, give Bog a chance to impress. Kolo hasn't done a whole lot wrong when called upon, deserves a game imo. Ibe will give us some width.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

So Benitez was responsible for Hodgson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

This whole "rebuild" talk is rubbish

Surely we have the makings of a good squad here. In fact if anything we are in a good position for a new manager because we have so many players. A new manager could just add a couple of quality players to give the team his own dimension

Migs
    Clyne---Skrtel---Sakho---Moreno
    Lucas
    Hendo---Milner
    Coutinho
    Sturridge---Benteke

Bogdan
    Flano---Toure---Lovren---Gomez
    Can
    Lallana---Allen
    Firmino
    Ings---Origi

Mario, Enrique, Marko, Ilori, Alberto, Ibe, Wisdom, all still belonging to the club.

Surely there is enough here to build on and its not exactly a "rebuild"

magma69 wrote: »

Gomez Sakho Kolo Moreno

Mig has been so dodgy this season, give Bog a chance to impress. Kolo hasn't done a whole lot wrong when called upon, deserves a game imo. Ibe will give us some width.

You may want Kolo and Sakho to swap sides but that should be a good enough team to win.

I would also publically tell MIgs that he is dropped until further notice. Then when Bogs gets injured tonight we can bring on MIgs and bang he is back in form;)

Turtyturd wrote: »
    So Benitez was responsible for Hodgson?

To be fair if I was a manager I would want Roy taking over from me as well

a month in and everyone would be begging for my return :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The very fact you don't have to pay compensation to hire Klopp or Ancelotti will be hugely enticing to FSG, however Rodgers has a long term contract with the club so sacking him would be expensive, I would imagine somewhere in £7-10m range. After backing him with £80m 6 games ago, it will be a tough pill to swallow for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Any manager coming in will say that there needs to be improvements - even if the team had won the league. Our midfield and defence are shaky and we have no width. I think someone like Ancelotti would need a number of players to get us competing again.

rob316 wrote: »
    The very fact you don't have to pay compensation to hire Klopp or Ancelotti will be hugely enticing to FSG, however Rodgers has a long term contract with the club so sacking him would be expensive, I would imagine somewhere in £7-10m range. After backing him with £80m 6 games ago, it will be a tough pill to swallow for them.

7-10 million really isn't a lot of money when you consider the possible impact it could have and some of the business that's been done on Rodgers watch.

I think this period will say a lot about FSG's intentions

If they want to sell the club anytime soon they may just keep Brendan or else bring in a manager but not give him any real funds.

If they want to help the club to progress they may change manager and give him a budget to get us into the top 4/ potential(eventual) title challenge.

I do think that they will be weighing up all their options before making any drastic change though

brevity wrote: »
    Any manager coming in will say that there needs to be improvements - even if the team had won the league. Our midfield and defence are shaky and we have no width. I think someone like Ancelotti would need a number of players to get us competing again.

We have the 5th best squad in the league imo. We're playing like a team with the 15th best squad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

who ever comes in needs to first get rid of lovren, lucas, mingolet and allen and bring in upgrades on all four of these players.

squad is not even that bad and theres plenty of potential and good players just not enough match winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

This is how I judge it: I no longer have any confidence in the prospect of us winning, regardless of the opposition.

If Rodgers can't change that pretty much immediately, he needs to be replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Just think about that statement: 'scale of the rebuilding job'.

hundreds of millions spent, Champions League football last year, and 3 seasons of coaching and implementing his ideas, without winning anything, and we're talking about a vast rebuilding job.

that's fúcking depressing i'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

And while we're at it, get Eva Carneiro in as physio as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The problem is with FSG. I stated a good few months ago they want to sell the club, of course I was shot down by the usual ignorant bunch on here that I was talking shyte (just like I said Rodgers had lost the dressing room and I was bang on). But it's crystal clear they have had enough, want to triple their money and get the hell out of dodge. They have no interest in the awful results and if they did Rodgers would have been sacked ages ago.

I stated ardently a few months back they aren't selling any time soon so there...........

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Gomez Sakho Kolo Moreno

You'll think I am mad, but I would be starting Lovren with a view to playing Sakho against Villa. This is a nothing game and confidence can only help.

Also, I would be starting Teixeira. The poor lad has always looked decent when given a chance and at his age, he desperately needs games. Firmino will be getting plenty of opportunities in the next few weeks with all these Europa League games.

Would also probably take Rossiter over Can (who doesn't need to be risked).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

CPkk3lfWcAAslXh.jpg

We need a 'you're doing great son' collage
    The one thing about Ancelotti is he goes into a club and works with the players that are there and the players he is given so a transfer committee wouldn't bother him.

At Milan he worked under Berlusconi who controlled and brought players into the club on his whim.

At Chelsea he worked under Abramovich who bought players he wanted.

At FSG he worked under a DoF who brought in players.

At Madrid he worked with players brought in by the club president.

Is he used to working with a DoF/transfer committee who like to spunk their money up against the wall buying uninspiring underwhelming overawed under enthused overpriced journeymen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

SlickRic wrote: »

hundreds of millions spent, Champions League football last year, and 3 seasons of coaching and implementing his ideas, without winning anything, and we're talking about a vast rebuilding job.

The old saying 'paper never refused ink' springs to mind.

The heavy lifting of rebuilding the squad is done. The squad is young and there is a core of very good players there both in the first 11 and the reserves and their peak years are in front of them and not in the past, for the most part.

Rodgers just doesn't seem to be able to meld the players into a cohesive unit and time is running out for him. A replacement manager would only need to bring in a small number of players to replace those in the squad who would probably need to be moved on next year anyway.

The money is there, as the commercial end of the club appears to be getting stronger each year, leaving more for wages and fees.

Surely Sakho can play tonight and Saturday!

Full strength team tonight hopefully. A win is badly need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Knex. wrote: »
    Ancelotti blasting out an operatic tenor version of, "You Never Walk Alone", on the sidelines would be gas craic.

enrico-palazzo.jpg

You'll think I am mad, but I would be starting Lovren with a view to playing Sakho against Villa. This is a nothing game and confidence can only help.

Also, I would be starting Teixeira. The poor lad has always looked decent when given a chance and at his age, he desperately needs games. Firmino will be getting plenty of opportunities in the next few weeks with all these Europa League games.

Would also probably take Rossiter over Can (who doesn't need to be risked).

Could bring Teix in and move Firmino up beside Ings and have Origi on in the second half for Ings (who will play the weekend;))

We have the 5th best squad in the league imo. We're playing like a team with the 15th best squad.

I suppose if we are being brutally honest, and to look at it from the outside, there are a lot of "squad players" in our first 11.

*Hendo, Milner, Lucas, Skrtel, Mingolet, Moreno are all players that I don't think would be consistent starters for teams we are supposedly chasing. All these players need either replacing or significant competition if we are to really properly challenge for the league and European competitions

*Possibly/Probably harsh on Hendo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

brevity wrote: »

Apparently FSG would only need to pay off Rodgers for one year not the whole contract as the club are not in the Champions League (its a clause detail in his contract) Not that paying off his entire contract is a big deal - think of it as the Borini sale price.

That's the view of Bad News Barrett who's job is to hype things up. I think the squad is not bad not brilliant but not bad, merely misused.

rob316 wrote: »

Why do clubs hand out these big assed long contracts. Where was Brod going at any point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There does seem to be more to this Ancelotti story than just internet rumors.

The club having make an official statement saying there has been no contact seems like the "Dreaded vote of confidence"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Grayditch wrote: »
    The real question today is Fifa or PES.

PES, no question.

There does seem to be more to this Ancelotti story than just internet rumors.

The club having make an official statement saying there has been no contact seems like the "Dreaded vote of confidence"

club are always going to deny even if there was contact made. Rodgers could sue the club if it was true the club have contacted ancelotti

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    enrico-palazzo.jpg

God I love the naked gun movies.

Tanya Peters: What are you doing?
    Frank Drebin: Oh! I was, uh, just conjugating my next move.
    Tanya Peters: Your bishop's exposed.
    Frank Drebin: It's these pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

ricero wrote: »
    club are always going to deny even if there was contact made. Rodgers could sue the club if it was true the club have contacted ancelotti

They haven't come out with a statement about Klopp being linked to the job for the last 3 months even thought he seems to be linked with the job every day since the Stoke game.

• Advertisement

Why do clubs hand out these big assed long contracts. Where was Brod going at any point?

City were eyeing him up by all accounts. It was off the back of the great season and at his age he was seen as a young manager with a bright future

They haven't come out with a statement about Klopp being linked to the job for the last 3 months even thought he seems to be linked with the job every day since the Stoke game.

yes that why i found it very strange the club have come out with this today. No smoke without fire. perhaps the club have got in touch with don carlo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

So, he gets no credit for one of our best EPL season? I think thats a lazy assessment and a naive point of view coming from someone who has no idea what sports management is, or what it is like to even manage a group of people.

Suarez had a huge part to play, but I won't take anyone serious when/if they say that it was all down to him. Its far too simplistic.

BR needs to be replaced but he shouldn't be written out of that season.

I hope FSG sell or hand the non commercial element of the club over to someone competent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

NukaCola wrote: »
    So, he gets no credit for one of our best EPL season? I think thats a lazy assessment and a naive point of view coming from someone who has no idea what sports management is, or what it is like to even manage a group of people.

Suarez had a huge part to play, but I won't take anyone serious when/if they say that it was all down to him. Its far too simplistic.

Rodgers had 3 of the best frontmen in the league that year, they moved like water around defenders.

With Suarez and Sterling gone he's been left exposed with a lot of dud signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Rodgers shouldn't be written out of it, but it'd very simplistic to assume that his management had a massive role in it either.

nothing outside of that season suggests he should be given that much credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

In that article.......
    After spending £291.5m to sign 31 players in his three years as Liverpool manager
    After spending that much and getting nothing out of it but a Suarez let title challenge & a totally out of your depth group stage run in the champions league its scandalous that he is still employed by us.
    Imagine a manager at a team in La Liga or Serie A spending €400m & only qualifying for the CL once?
    You'd have to imagine it he'd have been sacked long ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

MD1990 wrote: »
    never kew Ancelotti worked with FSG before:P

ooh the irony of slagging of spelling in a post with a spelling mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

ERG89 wrote: »
    In that article.......

After spending that much and getting nothing out of it but a Suarez let title challenge & a totally out of your depth group stage run in the champions league its scandalous that he is still employed by us.
    Imagine a manager at a team in La Liga or Serie A spending €400m & only qualifying for the CL once?
    You'd have to imagine it he'd have been sacked long ago

Whats the net spend :) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The difference being though Klopp was just being linked by people putting two and two together. Today's claim is that Liverpool have actually made contact with Ancellotti to sound him out.

• Advertisement

Vicxas wrote: »
    Rodgers had 3 of the best frontmen in the league that year, they moved like water around defenders.

With Suarez and Sterling gone he's been left exposed with a lot of dud signings.

I agree, so now we've gone from just Suarez to 3 players.

Flanno getting picked and putting in some immense performances. Deserve any credit? Henderson growing into a CM role and taking control of games. Deserve any credit? Coutinho growing into his role as a provider. Sturridge destroying defences. Gerrard scoring 13 goals and having 15 assists in a defensive role deserves no credit either. And certainly no credit for the manager putting it all together.

I'm not going through every player obviously but its too simplistic to say it was all down to Suarez. Its quite disrespectful to all concerned to be honest. It all came together for us that season, everyone had a role and played it magnificently. You can call it luck if you want but it wasn't all down to Suarez or one or two other players either if we are fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I agree, so now we've gone from just Suarez to 3 players.

Flanno getting picked and putting in some immense performances. Deserve any credit? Henderson growing into a CM role and taking control of games. Deserve any credit? Coutinho growing into his role as a provider. Sturridge destroying defences. Gerrard scoring 13 goals and having 15 assists in a defensive role deserves no credit either. And certainly no credit for the manager putting it all together.

I'm not going through every player obviously but its too simplistic to say it was all down to Suarez. Its quite disrespectful to all concerned to be honest. It all came together for us that season, everyone had a role and played it magnificently. You can call it luck if you want but it wasn't all down to Suarez or one or two other players either if we are fair.

Looking over his career it's obvious he lucked out. Same way he was lucky to take over Martinez and Sousas Swansea.

He's shown nothing in his career to suggest he is a competent manager. He's a lucky Alan Curbishley/Paul Jewell.

Looking over his career it's obvious he lucked out. Same way he was lucky to take over Martinez and Sousas Swansea.

He's shown nothing in his career to suggest he is a competent manager. He's a lucky Alan Curbishley/Paul Jewell.

Over simplistic again.

Rodgers took over a Swansea side that were in the Championship for 2 seasons finishing 8th/7th. He took over and immediately won them promotion in his first season and secured EPL football for them with a 11th placed finish. How can any rational person credit other managers entirely for that success?

The revision of history in here is funny.

Rodgers was hugely significant in that tilt at the title.
    There was several matches where he made personnel and formation changes at half time that turned around games.
    there was far more than Suarez who upped their performance levels
    The style of the team sent the fans into over drive mode and we had levels of support and noise at games that drove the team on.
    We scored many goals with straight from the training ground set piece moves.

What is significant for me is that all the strengths he brought to the team that year he seems to have lost. Whether it is the hang over of the Chelsea result and second guessing himself , the accusations of naivety he got in the press and from former players or what I do not know but he has lost that mojo.

He has stopped trusting his players , he has become negative with his tactics and formations , he is really slow to change the formula during games .I cannot think of the last set piece goal we scored.

Somebody close to him needs to explain he is pushing himself out the door of the biggest job he will ever have. He might as well go out the door having given it his best shot and throw some caution to the wind.
    Entertain the fans and they will forgive alot, go down fighting and we will remain on your side , realisticly that team and squad can put most teams in the league to the sword , do that and we will worry about the results against the Big 4 after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

He can be a good manager. He definitely can. When things are going right, he's great at building a momentum and he did get a lot of his subs and tactics right at times. But he's clearly hugely flawed, too. And we're at the arse-end of the flaws right now and he looks lost.

He'll do well at his next club, but he's not good at spending money, and I'd like to give someone else a go now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

We have won 5 games of our last 18. In those 18 matches we have only scored more than once in two of those matches(Never more than two). We have conceided 27 goals in those 18 games

:eek:

Last 15 league games in comparison to Hodge.

3cYDFUQ.jpg

Hodgsons side won 2 more, scored 7 more and conceded 5 less.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Rodgers was hugely significant in that tilt at the title.
    There was several matches where he made personnel and formation changes at half time that turned around games. There was far more than Suarez who upped their performance levels.

Not really, I remember feeling our squad was so limited beyond our starters we were relying on Allen and ugh Moses, Aspas and Alberto.
    We'd always drop in Allen if any of the midfield or forwards were injured. Henderson was missed when suspended and we were lucky Sturridge was fit so often that year and Suarez nearly always played

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Not really, I remember feeling our squad was so limited beyond our starters we were relying on Allen and ugh Moses, Aspas and Alberto.
    We'd always drop in Allen if any of the midfield or forwards were injured. Henderson was missed when suspended and we were lucky Sturridge was fit so often that year and Suarez nearly always played

The squad was limited , very limited but he still made changes that changed games , Southampton was a great example where they played us off the pitch first half , he changed formation man marked Lallana and they did not get a kick of the ball in the second half.

• Advertisement

:eek:

Last 15 league games in comparison to Hodge.

3cYDFUQ.jpg

Hodgsons side won 2 more, scored 7 more and conceded 5 less.

Jaysus that's bad and puts things in perspective.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement