Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Someone pointed out on Twitter, that we were continually linked to Klopp in the media over the past number of weeks, then up pops the Ancelloti story/rumour and the club come out and deny it..... Didn't come out and deny the Klopp stories.

Something's up I tell yas...something's up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

:eek:

Last 15 league games in comparison to Hodge.

3cYDFUQ.jpg

Hodgsons side won 2 more, scored 7 more and conceded 5 less.
    Context missing.

What teams were played, were they home or away, that table makes no effort to display the relative difficulty of the opponents?

There is plenty out there to beat Rodgers with and that table wouldn't even be in the first 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

flanzer wrote: »
    Someone pointed out on Twitter, that we were continually linked to Klopp in the media over the past number of weeks, then up pops the Ancelloti story/rumour and the club come out and deny it..... Didn't come out and deny the Klopp stories.

Good point made here by Monkey.
    monkey9 wrote: »
    The difference being though Klopp was just being linked by people putting two and two together. Today's claim is that Liverpool have actually made contact with Ancellotti to sound him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

ERG89 wrote: »
    Not really, I remember feeling our squad was so limited beyond our starters we were relying on Allen and ugh Moses, Aspas and Alberto.
    We'd always drop in Allen if any of the midfield or forwards were injured. Henderson was missed when suspended and we were lucky Sturridge was fit so often that year and Suarez nearly always played

We were lucky.

Still, I suppose we could have plodded along with Lucas as DM and Gerrard less of a role. Its all its and maybes.

I'd say Rodgers was unlucky that within a season or so 3 big players from that team are gone and Sturridge has barely played, but he was given plenty of cash to replace them.

I just can't see him here come the start of next season at this stage, can't see him turning it around. Probably a bit unfair given the new players bedding in but part of the reason for that is, er, new players not bedding in last season.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Context missing.

What teams were played, were they home or away, that table makes no effort to display the relative difficulty of the opponents?

There is plenty out there to beat Rodgers with and that table wouldn't even be in the first 20.

Hodgson beat:

Blackburn(H)
    Bolton(A)
    Chelsea(H)
    West Ham(H)
    Villa(H)
    Bolton(H)

Drew with:

Sunderland(H)
    Wigan (A)

Lost to:

Blackpool (H)
    Everton (A)
    Stoke (A)
    Spurs (A)
    Newcastle (A)
    Wolves (H)
    Blackburn (A)
    Blackpool (A)

Rodgers Beat:

Newcastle (H)
    QPR (H)
    Stoke (A)
    Bournemouth (H)

Drew with:

West Brom (A)
    Chelsea (A)
    Arsenal (A)
    Norwich (H)

Lost to:

Arsenal (A)
    Hull (A)
    Palace (H)
    Stoke (A)
    West Ham (H)
    Man Utd (A)

Honestly, i think it's toss up between the two records...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Cleary starting tonight ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Context missing.

I'd strongly disagree with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Context missing.

Looking at the last 15 games these are the results:

4 wins for Rodgers, Newcastle (2-0), Queens Park Rangers (2-1), Stoke City (1-0) and Bournemouth (1-0).

5 draws for Rodgers, West Brom (0-0), Chelsea (1-1), Arsenal (1-1), Bordeaux (1-1), Norwich (1-1).

6 losses for Rodgers, Aston Villa (2-1), Hull City (1-0), Crystal Palace (3-1), Stoke City (6-1), West Ham (3-0), Man United (3-1)

Looking at the results and teams lost and drawn against I don't think any further context is needed to draw a conclusion that that is a shocking run of form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

https://twitter.com/Tony_The_Red/status/646690495297683456

Benteke out for at least 2 weeks with hamstring injury. Could miss Derby. [Bascombe]. #LFC

When it rains, it pours.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

flanzer wrote: »

I think the difference is that it wasn't specifically rumoured that the club had contacted Klopp directly as was the rumour with Ancelotti.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Context missing.

I'd have it behind his portrait but ahead of his new teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

brevity wrote: »

Benteke out for at least 2 weeks with hamstring injury. Could miss Derby. [Bascombe]. #LFC

When it rains, it pours.

ST-INGS partnership to continue so.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

When it rains, it pours.

Could be a blessing in disguise. No need to try and work to Benteke's strengths and get back to the type of fast, flowing football which Rodgers was successful with in the past, with Sturridge the focal point. A lot will depend if Sturridge is up to speed, and if the other players can step up to the mark ( Firmino, Ings, Ibe ). Couldn't be any worse than what has been seen in the last few games..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

When Sturridge is fully fit I think I would prefer to see him and Ings as the partnership anyway rather than Benteke. I think they will complement each other more. While Benteke has done well so far we hit far too many balls to him long when under pressure and even worse we very rarely have runners off him when he wins it. I think without him it will encourage us to build the attacking play more and will suit the players behind them more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

When Sturridge is fully fit I think I would prefer to see him and Ings as the partnership anyway rather than Benteke. I think they will complement each other more. While Benteke has done well so far we hit far too many balls to him long when under pressure and even worse we very rarely have runners off him when he wins it. I think without him it will encourage us to build the attacking play more and will suit the players behind them more.

Was it you that went to town on Ings in the summer?

If yes has he slightly impressed you or just the best of a bad bunch?

Was it you that went to town on Ings in the summer?

If yes has he slightly impressed you or just the best of a bad bunch?

Certainly wasn't myself. I don't even remember commenting on him at all as I knew very little about him truth be told. He has though impressed me massively in as much as a player can in such a short period of time. I was very very critical of the Benteke transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Amazing how the "nearly season" is now the exclusive property of Luis Suarez!

As for Benteke its a pity he'll miss Villa as he "could have come back to haunt his old side" #footballcliche 42 but Sturridge/Ings might actually be a more fruitful partnership

Benteke out for at least 2 weeks with hamstring injury. Could miss Derby.......

When it rains, it pours.

Fingers crossed Danny's comeback is sustained and injury free. We aren't in too bad shape though up front, Sturridge back, Ings chomping at the bit & after hitting the ground running. Origi also an option and Firminio might be seen further forward too.

Amazing how the "nearly season" is now the exclusive property of Luis Suarez!

As for Benteke its a pity he'll miss Villa as he "could have come back to haunt his old side" #footballcliche 42 but Sturridge/Ings might actually be a more fruitful partnership

If you want to give him huge amounts of credit for the nearly season then fine but he needs to show he has more than one string to his bow. He has to show that beyond having the best player in the world to create a system around that he can do more because he isn't going to have that player for his career at Liverpool. He failed spectacularly at that last season while making what I felt were completely bizarre decisions all over the pitch. He has continued it on this season with hardly anything to hang onto from a positive perspective.

Context missing.

Speaking of context:

Alternative updated table:

City. +2
    United. +1.5
    Arsenal. -2
    Liverpool. -3.5
    Spurs. -3.5
    Chelsea. -5

Assuming Chelsea will improve, not looking great. Still though 4 of the top 6 on - figures.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

I wasn't defending Rodgers, just noting the re-writing of recent 'istory

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Question time.

If Suarez hadn't left last summer, where do people think we would have finished? I think we would have been 3rd or 4th probably, and we'd have progressed to the CL knock out stages. I don't think we'd be having this conversation anyhow, that's for sure.

Suarez doesn't do it against the big teams either so how the feck did we beat them then.

See, pretty moronic stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

God I love the naked gun movies.

Tanya Peters: What are you doing?
    Frank Drebin: Oh! I was, uh, just conjugating my next move.
    Tanya Peters: Your bishop's exposed.
    Frank Drebin: It's these pants.

One and 2 n a half are possible the greatest comedic achievements of humanity. The hit ratio of gags must have a ppg of a million, there's visual gags all over the shop and it has the perfect comedic performance with Drebin.
    Turtyturd is a bit **** though.

When it rains, it pours.

Give Ings a chance to sink or swim.

5starpool wrote: »
    Question time.

If Suarez hadn't left last summer, where do people think we would have finished? I think we would have been 3rd or 4th probably, and we'd have progressed to the CL knock out stages. I don't think we'd be having this conversation anyhow, that's for sure.

Sturbridge out injured, Gerrard finally spent, keeping largely the same 11 as we wouldn't have spent much, I'd say you are right enough. United were pretty average in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I find that those think that Suarez is solely responsible for the title challenge in 13/14 are being totally disrespectful to the other players in the squad that season as well as Rodgers.

Suarez, Sterling, Rodgers, Coutinho, and Sturridge were all brilliant that season a in devastatingly fast attacking formation that Rodgers has to be given credit for formulating.
    You can't take that away from him.

Over the last 14 months, it's the pace in our attacking play that I have missed most and he doesn't not seem to be trying to get back to that which is what puzzles me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Just thinking that if Rodgers was sacked tomorrow, would people be happy with Gary Mc as caretaker until we got someone who is proven and a winner involved?

I'd prefer that scenario to panicking and ending up with a Gary Monk type.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Just thinking that if Rodgers was sacked tomorrow, would people be happy with Gary Mc as caretaker until we got someone who is proven and a winner involved?

I'd prefer that scenario to panicking and ending up with a Gary Monk type.

No. On what basis would Gary MC'Allister qualify to manage us? If Rodgers is sacked we need to act quickly to replace him or else the big names that we all know are available ( whether they would come or not is irrelevant, they should be approached regardless ) will be snapped up next summer or earlier by more attractive offers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

murpho999 wrote: »
    I find that those think that Suarez is solely responsible for the title challenge in 13/14 are being totally disrespectful to the other players in the squad that season as well as Rodgers.

Suarez, Sterling, Rodgers, Coutinho, and Sturridge were all brilliant that season...

Suarez brought out the best in every player around him. I think Gerrard said something to that effect recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

it certainly seems to be a case of when he's gone rather than if at this stage,it will be a painful slog until a new manager is appointed i think personally,he gave his best shot and went to great personal lengths for the club in changing his look completely (maybe even his wife) and always spoke up the club and its owners, and ill wish him well when he's moved on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

Grayditch wrote: »
    He can be a good manager. He definitely can. When things are going right, he's great at building a momentum and he did get a lot of his subs and tactics right at times. But he's clearly hugely flawed, too. And we're at the arse-end of the flaws right now and he looks lost.

He'll do well at his next club, but he's not good at spending money, and I'd like to give someone else a go now.

His teams play nice football - when they're allowed to. Too often they get bullied and turned over, it was the same with Swansea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Ardent wrote: »
    Suarez brought out the best in every player around him. I think Gerrard said something to that effect recently.

Yea , he may have some impact as he inspires confidence but he cannot be held solely responsible for the good performances.

Ardent wrote: »
    His teams play nice football - when they're allowed to. Too often they get bullied and turned over, it was the same with Swansea.

His Swansea team played dour controlling football. It was a novetly to see a promoted side playing in such a way but it certainly wasnt exciting to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Rodgers should not be sacked unless there is a first class replacement waiting outside his office door

They didn't get clapped off the pitch at Anfield for playing dour football as far as I can recall.

Anyway, the idea of Gary Mac filling in seems rather pointless and needless - if the button is pushed FSG need to have someone ready to go. Indeed they wouldn't do it unless they had an appropriate manager to come in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

His Swansea team played dour controlling football. It was a novetly to see a promoted side playing in such a way but it certainly wasnt exciting to watch.

I would like him to be replaced with an experienced manager as soon as possible to try get the ball rolling with the new set up as soon as possible, but not for him to be sacked out of punishment or fear with no replacement. If I'm honest, I don't think he's a danger or anything, we're not going have relegation worries, I just feel he's not the man for the job anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

They didn't get clapped off the pitch at Anfield for playing dour football as far as I can recall.

Anyway, the idea of Gary Mac filling in seems rather pointless and needless - if the button is pushed FSG need to have someone ready to go. Indeed they wouldn't do it unless they had an appropriate manager to come in.

Well some people want him sacked right now, even if there's no worthy replacement.

The reality is that even if we push for the top managers immediately, they might not come. So we're stuck with a man who has arguably lost the dressing room.

At least if Mcallister took over as caretaker you'd have a man with coaching experience and who would have the respect of the dressing room. He'd only be a stop gap until the right man becomes available but better that scenario than having a ready replacement who isn't up to the task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Are people seriously advocating McCallister? On what basis?

If Pascoe was still there and someone suggested him taking over we'd all be like...

maxresdefault.jpg

We're in a crisis of sorts, not THAT kind of crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

NukaCola wrote: »
    Over simplistic again.

Rodgers took over a Swansea side that were in the Championship for 2 seasons finishing 8th/7th. He took over and immediately won them promotion in his first season and secured EPL football for them with a 11th placed finish. How can any rational person credit other managers entirely for that success?

The revision of history in here is funny.

Yep, he did well then, then got out of his depth. Worth noting the peter principle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

:eek:

Last 15 league games in comparison to Hodge.

3cYDFUQ.jpg

Hodgsons side won 2 more, scored 7 more and conceded 5 less.

Manipul-ation is not the name of a fancy country

Here are some real facts

In Roys time here:
    he lost 9 games in the league
    he won just 7

in his opening 8 games he won 1 and lost 4 times

in fact under his tenure we spent the first 11 games in the bottom half of the table and only after our 23rd game of the season did we actually stay in the top half for more than 2 games.

Roy had us in the relegation zone

So excuse me if I find your "stats" a little biased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Are people seriously advocating McCallister? On what basis?

If Pascoe was still there and someone suggested him taking over we'd all be like...

maxresdefault.jpg

If Rodgers threw himself under the bus in the morning, I would expect to see SO'D in temporary charge until a replacement arrived. How temporary that would be, I don't know. Could easily see FSG faffing about for weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

People comparing Rodgers with Hodgson would want to cop themselves on. Whatever you say about Rodgers, he was not and will never be on the same scale of calamity as Hodgson was.

Here is a facht - Liverpool are 4 points off 4th place, so are many other teams mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

People comparing Rodgers with Hodgson would want to cop themselves on. Whatever you say about Rodgers, he was not and will never be on the same scale of calamity as Hodgson was.

He isn't yet. There's at least the potential there, though, depending how you look at it.

I wish he'd say to himself "**** it, I'll die with my boots on" and go with a really attacking approach, really throw caution to the wind. At least he could say he tried to relocate the mojo of '13 to '14. It's about his only shot at sticking around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Here is a facht - Liverpool are 4 points off 4th place, so are many other teams mind!

Don't we need to aim for 3rd place to get champions league this year?
    Not that either is going to happen with Rodgers at the helm, or until Suarez comes back to single-handedly propel us to 2nd place again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

K-9 wrote: »
    Suarez doesn't do it against the big teams either so how the feck did we beat them then.

See, pretty moronic stuff.

We have played the top 4 of Chelsea, City, Utd and Arsenal 26 times in the league since Rodgers became manager and won 5 of them so we haven't done well against the big teams with or without Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

5starpool wrote: »
    Question time.

If he had stayed I think we would have continued playing two strikers.

I really cannot understand why Rodgers now refuses to play two strikers.

Everyone on here and the internet in general who tries to predict the best team sets it out as a 442 diamond yet when was the last time Rodgers used that system?

We have played the top 4 of Chelsea, City, Utd and Arsenal 26 times in the league since Rodgers became manager and won 5 of them so we haven't done well against the big teams with or without Suarez.

4 of those were in 13/14.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement