Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Gary Mac was sent out to face the post match interview, by the looks of it. SO'D is known for being tetchy with journos.

Pre-Villa match presser tomorrow could be car crash stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Lads I'm just wondering how you feel about Rodgers achievements in the 13/14 season. As a rival fan I thought it was incredible to come so close and it seems that it's been forgotten quite quickly by football in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Lads I'm just wondering how you feel about Rodgers achievements in the 13/14 season. As a rival fan I thought it was incredible to come so close and it seems that it's been forgotten quite quickly by football in general.

I myself believe Rodgers played a fair part in that season, some would have you think it was all Suarez which is fair enough of course. It was great to challenge properly but it doesn't hold much weight these days in trying to defend what he is at these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

No one has forgotten that title push, but it was over sixteen months ago, and we have looked lost since then.

mav79 wrote: »
    No one has forgotten that title push, but it was over sixteen months ago, and we have looked lost since then.

Maybe forgotten is the wrong word. More that his potential seems to be ignored now. As a united fan I really feared that Rodgers would build a dynasty for 15 years if you won that title, so great was the football he had you playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Maybe forgotten is the wrong word. More that his potential seems to be ignored now. As a united fan I really feared that Rodgers would build a dynasty for 15 years if you won that title, so great was the football he had you playing.

No other major club would have suffered the last 16 months In charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

NukaCola wrote: »
    Gary Mc done the post match press thing

Rodgers is a coward tbh.

You front up after a performance like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

I disagree with most of what you said. The new manager will have to get in a couple of players in January, mainly a goalie and a winger. Mignolet is a poor goalkeeper and needs to be replaced asap. The team is capable of playing decent attacking football which we seen for 30mins against Arsenal so if we can get them believing in themselves top 4 is definitely attainable.

OK, I won't argue over Migs. We can disagree on that one.

There will be limited funds in january, especially for a good keeper and wingers are never cheap. Even more so if BR is paid off and a new guy steps in.

30 mins of good football is not a lot of time to place faith in that team for the rest of the season. Chelsea will salvage top 4 with money, Man City are cruising, Man Utd are digging out results even if the fan base is not happy with the way they are doing it. Arsenal are technically better than us and I think a striker is all they need to sort themselves out and have the location and money to get what they want.

Even if we turned it around, I think we are fighting in mid table. We are the new Spurs -sorry spurs fans but it is true. The other mid table teams are stepping up to the mark this year, building on an existing structure and buying to suit their style. That is our competition for the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

SlickRic wrote: »
    Rodgers is a coward tbh.

Fairly certain that's happened in previous, if not all league cup games. Seems to be just what he does for em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

That potential left on a plane to Barcelona

klose wrote: »
    Fairly certain that's happened in previous, if not all league cup games. Seems to be just what he does for em.

Not important to me. The fans deserved to hear something from him in the aftermath of that.

You don't have to send Gary Mc out just because that was done previously. This night merited an attempt at an explanation from the manager. We should've heard what he thought of it all.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    No other major club would have suffered the last 16 months In charge.

I agree with you there but on the other hand he has lost his biggest players for the past two summers and the changing landscape in football is making it a near impossible job to build a top squad when you can't match the wages of the richest clubs.

In a world where Marcos Rojo, Filipe Luis and Adam Lallana are £20 million players I don't know how he can be expected to challenge for top 4.

In a world where Marcos Rojo, Filipe Luis and Adam Lallana are £20 million players I don't know how he can be expected to challenge for top 4.

Simply put, we're the 5th most expensive team in the division. It should be a no brainer that we challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Not important to me. The fans deserved to hear something from him in the aftermath of that.

You don't have to send Gary Mc out just because that was done previously. This night merited an attempt at an explanation from the manager. We should've heard what he thought of it all.

100% correct, even if he was sending the tea-lady out after previous LC games, he definitely should have fronted up last night, cowardly not to.

Dead man walking. And I'd say he knows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

If you do get rid of him and get the likes of Ancellotti/Klopp in then surely they will be looking for big funds to spend on new players.

Would FSG be willing to do that given what was spent already in the last year or so?

• Advertisement

Also, I think it's important to note that McClaren fronted up last night after Newcastle went out to Sheffield Wed, and are in a worse crisis than us.

Proper order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Also, I think it's important to note that McClaren fronted up last night after Newcastle went out to Sheffield Wed, and are in a worse crisis than us.

Proper order.

He was bloody honest too, which is what i like about McClaren.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I know it was McAllister speaking and not Rodgers, but some of the quotes were reminiscent of Moyes at United.

"We'll try to win games..."

"Perhaps this will be the moment that helps turn things around" (or something along those lines).

Those are not words of conviction or confidence and are indicative of the lack of direction and confidence in the squad at the moment.

For me I'm maybe in the minority that I'm perhaps still on the fence, although heavily swaying towards the Rodgers Out camp. I think we should be more certain by the day of the derby. Everton were superb the other day against Chelsea and look like a team with a real identity. They are strong in defence and pass the ball really well. Also if you run through our/their strongest 11 it's hard to argue that we are in fact much better on paper. There's no doubt in my mind that they will be favourites and if they win (particularly if they win convincingly) then I think it could be time up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

I agree with you there but on the other hand he has lost his biggest players for the past two summers and the changing landscape in football is making it a near impossible job to build a top squad when you can't match the wages of the richest clubs.

It's a tricky one. I do believe losing your best players two years in a row creates a negative vibe in the squad i.e. if we were really top players/a top club we wouldn't be selling our best players. This can become a self fulfilling prophecy.

On the other hand if we have the 4th most expensive squad http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manchester-city-manchester-united-and-chelsea-top-the-list-of-the-premier-leagues-most-expensive-10484325.html and 5th largest wage bill http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-wages-your-club-5729730 challenging for 4th is only a "par" to use a golf analogy and the key role of a manager is to make more out of the squad than the sum of it's parts.

From a macro persepctive there are only three elements in the equation

1. Value of players acquired/developed. (a crude measure of player quality)
    2. Wages (can we attract quality players and are we paying them a motivational wage?)
    3. Organising and deploying your resources - i.e. Management.

I know it's not as simple as 1-3 above but from an FSG perspective when they are facilitating 1 & 2 and the team is under performing the only variable in the equation which can be adjusted is Management. They did a reshuffle in the summer and I'm sure laid out very clearly what their minimum acceptable result is this season. I'm also sure they have a red line representing poor performance below which they will pull the trigger and bring in new management.

After the last 3-4 weeks I'd say BR is getting very close to crossing that line.

The clock is ticking. He'll either turn this around quickly in a sustainable manner when Sturridge and Hendo are back and fully firing or he'll oversee another half dozen poor results and will be made to walk the plank at Xmas.

Sad to see the club going through this so early in the season. I really hope he turns it round but he needs to start showing it very very soon.

He'll either turn this around quickly in a sustainable manner when Sturridge and Hendo are back and fully firing or he'll oversee another half dozen poor results and will be made to walk the plank at Xmas. ............

Last year without a functioning striker went on a great ppg run, we have much better options up front this year.

People extrapolating the first 6 PL games (and the last x from last season) as the representation of what's to come are off the mark imo.

Time will tell :)

• Advertisement

Claiming Sturride as a part of any recovery plan is incredibly silly, the man is unreliable due to injuries, so shouldn't be cited as an answer to any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Damien360 wrote: »
    That is a lot to ask for. The Xmas window is not the time to be buying. Time and time again we see teams get robbed. I cannot see any squad change before end of season.

Migs weakness is a symptom of a shaky defense, essentially the central defense.

As for wingers, we need them to supply Benteke but getting a good one is not cheap and we sold our last one for big bucks.

Still think Rodgers time is up but he will cost a fortune to get rid of and that takes money out of any buying pot. This season is about saving face. I cannot see top 4 no matter who comes in. We are mentally weak and even the small teams can smell blood.

The Xmas window? Is that a new one?

Anyhow, our best signings over the last few years have been January ones, Suarez, Sturridge & Coutinho.

It's the summer transfer sprees that have been the problem.

Claiming Sturride as a part of any recovery plan is incredibly silly, the man is unreliable due to injuries, so shouldn't be cited as an answer to any problems.

Also, as he's lacking match fitness, surely last night's game would have been ideal for a 45 minute run out? I find it strange he was excluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm at the stage where I don't want to wait to see how the Villa or Everton games go, or any other game really, as I don't want to lose it, and that's exactly what I think will happen if Rodgers stays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Damien360 wrote: »
    OK, I won't argue over Migs. We can disagree on that one.

There will be limited funds in january, especially for a good keeper and wingers are never cheap. Even more so if BR is paid off and a new guy steps in.

30 mins of good football is not a lot of time to place faith in that team for the rest of the season. Chelsea will salvage top 4 with money, Man City are cruising, Man Utd are digging out results even if the fan base is not happy with the way they are doing it. Arsenal are technically better than us and I think a striker is all they need to sort themselves out and have the location and money to get what they want.

Even if we turned it around, I think we are fighting in mid table. We are the new Spurs -sorry spurs fans but it is true. The other mid table teams are stepping up to the mark this year, building on an existing structure and buying to suit their style. That is our competition for the year.

5 of the last 6 seasons Spurs have finished above Liverpool, so don't be flattering yourself, it's worse ye're getting, not better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

I feel sorry for the players. If FSG act now and get in a top manager I honestly believe we will finish top 4 and win a cup. The squad isn't too bad apart from the need for a new goalkeeper, a central defender and a winger. If the team can get organized and playing with confidence the season can be salvaged. #RodgersOut

Really? The bunch of guys who have thrown the towel in and are happy to ride out the "lets all blame the manager" train?

Its not a case that is unique to LFC, and I am not saying the the manager isnt the problem or a significant factor in the problems. The players for a large part have not stood up and put in performances any where near worthy of the value of professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

murpho999 wrote: »
    The Xmas window? Is that a new one?

Must be the Santa Clause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I'd nearly have Ings as the focal point of the recovery plan. His work ethic looks to be streets ahead of everyone else and has an eye for goal. Let Sturridge and Benteke battle it out for the 2nd spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Rodgers is a coward tbh.

Ya, was a bit shocked myself. And disappointed. People paid to see that last night.

having a go at a guy for using the term "Xmas window" when it's abundantly clear what he means is pretty petty lads.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    Last year without a functioning striker went on a great ppg run, we have much better options up front this year.

People extrapolating the first 6 PL games (and the last x from last season) as the representation of what's to come are off the mark imo.

Hasn't time told already?

having a go at a guy for using the term "Xmas window" when it's abundantly clear what he means is pretty petty lads.

Whats an xmas? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

He is the 2nd longest serving manager in the premiership yet every time the team takes the field you would think it their first time meeting each other.

Players looked genuinely lost last night, Milner in particular looked clueless to what he was meant to be doing.

I actually spent most of the first half trying to figure out what shape we were meant to be playing. We had 3cbs and 1cf so by deductive reasoning there must has been 6 in middle!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

THFC wrote: »
    5 of the last 6 seasons Spurs have finished above Liverpool, so don't be flattering yourself, it's worse ye're getting, not better.

He's not wrong about Spurs though. Spurs are the perennial EPL also-rans, no-one else does also-ran quite like Spurs. Liverpool were once top dogs and can still muster a title challenge sporadically now, but are in danger of becoming complete also rans like Spurs have been for decades. I think that's the point the other poster you quoted was making.

The problem for Liverpool is deeper than Rodgers, not much point in appointing managers unless they buy into their philosophy and back them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Augeo wrote: »

666e90466652eb555194843333e3e389.jpg

You're belief in a run from mid December to mid March is equally off the mark.

A malaise has set in now at this club and it's seeped in to the fans at the stadium. The captain has to go down with his ship.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    666e90466652eb555194843333e3e389.jpg

A malaise has set in now at this club and it's seeped in to the fans at the stadium. The captain has to go down with his ship.

Milner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

klose wrote: »
    Brendan Rodgers let Colin Pascoe speak on his behalf? I don't recall that ever happening. Last season Brendan Rodgers faced the post match interviews after the 2-2 draw against Middlesbrough.

It's hilarious to listen to what he said then, he could have just scripted it for this season.

I thought Milner was meant to be good?........but seriously I dont know what he adds to the middle apart form running, and poor dead ball delivery. Maybe I'm being harsh.......in fairness the way we setup cant be helping either.

Well I was just wondering how it came about as I have never heard of it being called that. Not pettiness at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Rodgers is a coward tbh.

A coward?!
    A bloody coward?!!!
    Pathetic, cheap comment.
    How many times have managers like Ferguson in the past sent out someone to speak to the media?
    Were they cowards?

Maybe Rodgers was fuming and did not want to risk saying something he might regret about a player, fans etc? Nobody knows.

I am Liverpool supporter and realise Rodgers is under pressure, and if he doesn't get it right soon he is gone, but to make cheap, Sun/Daily Mail, personal comments like that is pathetic.

Talisman wrote: »
    Brendan Rodgers let Colin Pascoe speak on his behalf? I don't recall that ever happening.

I remember he left him speak for him in a post match definitely once but it was after a win in the EPL I think......

Seaba, that comment is ill-advised.

dogbert27 wrote: »

Time will tell, until than you can keep both your ignorance claim and your crystal ball predictions to yourself, particularly the former if they are directed at me :)

Seaba wrote: »
    A coward?!
    A bloody coward?!!!
    Pathetic, cheap comment.
    How many times have managers like Ferguson in the past sent out someone to speak to the media?
    Were they cowards?

Maybe Rodgers was fuming and did not want to risk saying something he might regret about a player, fans etc? Nobody knows.

I am Liverpool supporter and realise Rodgers is under pressure, and if he doesn't get it right soon he is gone, but to make cheap, Sun/Daily Mail, personal comments like that is pathetic.

Your job on the line. Your team have put in one of the most inert performances in your career. Fans are disappointed. A lot of people have had enough of you. You have a chance to explain a poor performance. You choose to leave the post match to a coach, not even your assistant.

BR is meant to be savvy with the press, here was his chance to say a few things to get the fans and players back onside. He chose not to do that. What would you call it? Cowardly is certainly a fair comment IMO.

Also, i think you should reconsider your last sentence to your post.

Hasn't time told already?

You know the results of the upcoming games, care to share them? I'll do an accum and retire off the winnings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

TheCitizen wrote: »
    He's not wrong about Spurs though. Spurs are the perennial EPL also-rans, no-one else does also-ran quite like Spurs. Liverpool were once top dogs and can still muster a title challenge sporadically now, but are in danger of becoming complete also rans like Spurs have been for decades. I think that's the point the other poster you quoted was making.

The problem for Liverpool is deeper than Rodgers, not much point in appointing managers unless they buy into their philosophy and back them.

I have such a low opinion of spurs I'd get a yellow for saying how I feel about them.
    That is an alarming stat when you consider all we spent under Dalglish & Rodgers (I'm aware we lost a lot through retirements and sales too).
    I think player recruitment must be looked into as well Comolli was rightfully turfed out after buying mainly garbage & now I don't see the decent squad others do. Ibe, Lallana, & Firmino have done little to deserve a decent run in the side & if Coutinho is off form boy do we feel it. Still rely on Lucia who hasn't been the same since he got injured in a cup game at Stamford Bridge during the form of his career. Don't get me started on our defence then or unreliable Goalie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Last night was extremely depressing and horribly reminiscent of Northampton back in Hodgson's season, there is no getting away from that. This does feel like the end, although I would not pull the trigger yet. I'm a few games away from that. 4 points from our next 2 games feels like a minimum.

For any new manager, I don't think we are in too bad a shape.

Mignolet

Clyne----Skrtel
    Sakho
    Moreno

Lucas

Henderson
    Coutinho

Firmino

Sturridge
    Benteke

that is a good team, with the likes of Can, Milner and Ings as alternatives. But it's just not happening under Rodgers and it looks increasingly like that's not going to change. Our tactics are all over the place.

The decision to keep Ibe and send Markovic on loan was bizarre. Ibe at the moment is far too one-dimensional and raw.

I like Ings, I've liked what I've seen of Benteke so far. Firmino has been poor.

Point is, we have plenty of firepower, but in the league we have only really scored one goal that wasn't either a moment of individual brilliance (Coutinho v Stoke, Benteke v United) or plain good luck (Benteke v Bournemouth). That's absolutely dreadful.

There have been times in the last 3 games where I've thought "we're going to kick on here" - when we took the lead 3 times, but it hasn't happened. It has to happen against Villa I think.

BR is meant to be savvy with the press, here was his chance to say a few things to get the fans and players back onside. He chose not to do that. What would you call it? Cowardly is certainly a fair comment IMO.

Also, i think you should reconsider your last sentence to your post.

What could he say to get those not onside, back onside? Realistically, there is a water charge protestor type of mong mentality in this thread that won't be onside after a 10 game winning run, no words he utters will change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Yeah, I think when you weigh all the circumstances, Rodgers should have faced the press after that. Regardless of whether Gary Mc was scheduled in to boost his media experience, or whatever.

One of the worst performances of recent times, and Christ are we getting a spate of them in the last 6 months, against a League Two side who have conceded the most goals in League football so far this year.

His job is on the line. Not setting aside previous plans and taking the post match presser is an oversight for me. You could go as far as saying that he is now showing a lack of fight for his job and knows he's done, and I wouldn't be able to argue against it, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I find it hard to criticise any players performance at the moment, they all look so lost when they're on the pitch. There was no connection between any two players last night.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement