Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

THFC wrote: »
    Liverpool were top dogs in the eighties, no one gives a shít. Yer as much "also-rans" as Spurs. 2 title challenges in 20 odd years doesn't change that.

Nah, we've won everything bar the league since Sky invented football in 1992. The f*ck have Spurs won???

Talisman wrote: »
    Your optimism on the forum is commendable. I'm just curious though, at what point would you think enough is enough?

I said in early Sep that anything less than 30 points at Christmas after 17 PL games would be unsatisfactory...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96848309&postcount=9711 ...

I won't quote that post as some folk don't like me quoting myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

A few questions that the board should honestly ask themselves. With my personal answeres

Would I love Brendan to sort it out and fly up the league?

of Course I am a Liverpool supporter for many decades.

Looking at his time as manager as a whole was the 13/14 season an aberration or a sign of what he can do?

An aberration with one of the top 3 players in the world on fire and our next best striker actually fit.

Do I believe he can/will turn it around do so?

To be honest No. I think he has run out of ideas.

Therefore should he stay or go ?
    Go for God sake go.

What type of manager should we get to replace him- Young and hungry or older and experienced?

we tried the young and hungry and it failed need an experienced manager to sort it out now. With a big name to get the better players.

Taking it as an experienced manager klopp or Ancelotti or other ?
    Ancelotti has huge experience with many clubs previously stated that he liked liverpool But generally has had good bit of money to spend and for all his years not that sucessfull. Steady pair of hands though.Speaks English
    Not employed at present.

Klopp, also stated that he likes liverpoool. only realy managed one club and successful for a time there. Not a huge club though.
    Bit of a head the ball in some ways. But would have instant gell with the supporters.Speaks English
    Not Employed at present

Diego Simeone
    Proving successful at atletico. Young bright manager who even though many of his best players have been sold has still been successful. Doesn't speak English. has contract until 2020. Would be surprised if he would come.
    So IMHO Klopp would be the best choice but would to be honest take any of them

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

You know we've reached rock bottom when spurs fans are goading us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd love to see Spurs get relegated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Henry is based in Boston and prefers to stick around for Red Sox games. Do I begrudge him for this? Not really. Baseball is most likely his favoured sport and he doesn't have an obligation to turn up, except for big games imo.

Brave man, Red Sox are much worse than Liverpool right now - painful to watch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    You have to throw another spin on this. Is there anyone available and attainable to get us firing again or improve things.

I posted here the other day that there were positive signs following the last game, more attacking, more pressing, more understanding of the formation.
    But some of the players are too focused on scoring and think the pressure is on them to get goals. Coutinho is an example of this.

I think Milner and Can fell victim to this last night as well.

I'm going to get slated for this, but as we stand we should keep Rodgers. As noted, there are signs of improvement and some players are stepping up now.
    Can was immense last night trying to drive the team.
    Bogdan came in and saved the day.
    Ings looks like he has the aggresive style of play that we miss.
    Moreno seems to be getting better and better but last night was probably too long of a game for him.
    Origi looks like he can hold the ball up well and quickly turn a defender. A little more sharpness in his finishing and we could start to see what we bought.

Some bad points as well.
    Ibe was too close to the sideline the whole time he was on the pitch. I think he was trying to lure a defender out and stretch out the 10 man defence, i didn't work and Rodgers should have changed that plan.
    Lallana looks lost sometimes. I think all his round the worlds are making himself dizzy.

If some of the players had of looked for another pass last night around the area instead of shooting (not each occasion) we would have done more damage.
    Milner is putting in alot of work, but lacking a killer pass through.

That's the most blindly optimistic statement I've ever read!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Liverpool were top dogs in the eighties, no one gives a shít. Yer as much "also-rans" as Spurs. 2 title challenges in 20 odd years doesn't change that.

1 Champions League
    1 UEFA Cup
    3 FA Cups
    4 League Cups

kinda does though. Liverpool are big dogs, Spurs are not so jog the **** on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

Three title challenges you know! Everyone forgets about 2001/2002 :p

Did you ever really have a sniff that year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

You know we've reached rock bottom when spurs fans are goading us.

especially after they've lost at home to the Arsenal.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    1 Champions League
    1 UEFA Cup
    3 FA Cups
    4 League Cups

kinda does though. Liverpool are big dogs, Spurs are not so jog the **** on.

In a recent post you mention challenging for top4, why not challenge for the league? Was that a slip or are you now happy with top4 challenges rather than PL challenges?
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »

On a high level, in order to argue for Rodger's continued tenure you have to argue for a significant lowering of standards for Liverpool football club. If you argue:

- we shouldn't expect to challenge for the top four;..............
    Not a fan of that myself!!

When did you lower your standards, who was in charge? Souness? Roy Evans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Vicxas wrote: »
    He was bloody honest too, which is what i like about McClaren.

Sign him up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Augeo wrote: »
    I said in early Sep that anything less than 30 points at Christmas after 17 PL games would be unsatisfactory...
    Is that not a harsh total to expect? My reason for saying is that he only met that requirement once as Liverpool manager.

After 17 league games:
    2014/15 : 22 Points
    2013/14 : 36 Points
    2012/13 : 22 Points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ronjo wrote: »

Only if Arsenal died in a plane crash in truth.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

That's the most blindly optimistic statement I've ever read!!!

I try to look at what we have and what direction we can go rather than dismantle and start rebuilding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You are the one suggesting my comment applies to those I don't agree with, I was referring to the growing number of people using insults like coward, scumbag, ignorant etc.

But he showed last night that he is a coward. That was a team of players he'd bought, a team he'd picked, playing a formation he'd picked, trained by him every week. They were pathetic, and he refused to face the music, allowing one of his coaches face the press. That's cowardly no matter what way you look at it.

You are the one suggesting my comment applies to those I don't agree with, I was referring to the growing number of people using insults like coward, scumbag, ignorant etc etc.
    That distinction certainly didn't come across in your original post.

How is suggesting people on the thread have a "mong mentality" not equally insulting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

Only if Arsenal died in a plane crash in truth.

Just reading back about it now.
    Arsenal won by 7 but did win the last 13 games.

I remember Liverpool were decent but also United did seem to be main challengers understandably and wining it at Old trafford was obviously sweet.

Just reading back about it now.
    Arsenal won by 7 but did win the last 13 games.

I remember Liverpool were decent but also United did seem to be main challengers understandably and wining it at Old trafford was obviously sweet.

Yep they picked just the wrong moment to go on a brilliant run. *shakes fist*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

In a recent post you mention challenging for top4, why not challenge for the league? Was that a slip or are you now happy with top4 challenges rather than PL challenges?

When did you lower your standards, who was in charge? Souness? Roy Evans?

:rolleyes:

Good one. I was happy during the Houllier / Benitez eras at being in the upper echelon of the league maintaining a base that was used to challenge for trophies or advancement to the later stages of European competition year on year. And do you know what? That was a slight lowering of standards from what fans would have expected during the 70's and 80's. That's as low as I would go however and, yes, the Souness and Evans eras were poor enough to make the Houllier / Benitez decade seem like a mini golden age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Why are you having a go at Lloyd for standing up for the club against an inane post from an opposition fan?

Is that not a harsh total to expect? My reason for saying is that he only met that requirement once as Liverpool manager.

After 17 league games:
    2014/15 : 22 Points
    2013/14 : 36 Points
    2012/13 : 22 Points

I'd be of the view that 30pts after 17 games isn't harsh a target, didn't happen last year but needs to happen this year.
    That distinction certainly didn't come across in your original post.

How is suggesting people on the thread have a "mong mentality" not equally insulting?

People who used the terms I mentioned are of that mentality imo, I'm not at all bothered if they are insulted :) I doubt they are.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Why are you having a go at Lloyd for standing up for the club against an inane post from an opposition fan?

I was querying was top4 challenges not a slip in standards compared to years ago, he has clarified that is indeed the case. I'm sure he doesn't feel I was having a go.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Yep, until about the last 5 or 6 games we were very close to the top but fell away badly in the last few games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If Spurs were relevant, they'd have a proper super thread.

Here ends the debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

NukaCola wrote: »
    Gary Mc done the post match press thing

Here is the presser

https://vimeo.com/140292086

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Knex. wrote: »
    If Spurs were relevant, they'd have a proper super thread.

Here ends the debate.

Hardly a marker, the likes of Arsenal and Aston Villa have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Turtyturd wrote: »

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Three title challenges you know! Everyone forgets about 2001/2002 :p

4 1995-96

• Advertisement

Take this with the condiment of your choice
    Graham Beecroft (TalkSport): "One thing I can tell you is that Jurgen Klopp will not be the next Liverpool manager."

Graham Beecroft (TalkSport): "Unless something happens, whereby Ancelloti says no, that will be the only thing that will save Rodgers."

Graham Beecroft (TalkSport): "The power base in Boston decided before the game v Carlisle they were going to make the (manager) change."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Take this with the condiment of your choice

Sriracha!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I'm not a Liverpool fan, I'm a Celtic fan actually, was reading a bit of the thread here and spotted you having a go at a Liverpool fan who was saying Liverpool are in danger of becoming as irrelevant as Spurs. He was right to use Spurs as a marker of mediocrity and irrelevancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

CPpkmWBXAAAWiWx.jpg

From last night, is this right or wrong, celebrating a penalties victory against a League 2 team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Football 365
    Liverpool fans will each have their own opinion on the exact moment they knew Roy Hodgson was doomed at Anfield, but the England manager’s pre-match assessment of League Two Northampton Town may be a popular answer.

“They’ll be a formidable challenge,” Hodgson said, and Liverpool promptly tumbled out. Wednesday marked five years and a single day since that night. The mood was far less mutinous, but the result almost identical. Almost. If Napoleon had his Waterloo and Roy had his Northampton, Brendan may have just avoided his Carlisle. The lingering sensation is that it will be a temporary stay of execution.

This was the third time since that wretched night that Liverpool have faced lower league opposition at Anfield. Notts County forced extra-time, and Middlesbrough forced penalties. For so long it looked as if Carlisle might go one step further, only to be denied at the last by Adam Bogdan and some rotten penalty-taking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

murpho999 wrote: »
    CPpkmWBXAAAWiWx.jpg

From last night, is this right or wrong, celebrating a penalties victory against a League 2 team?

i say they were more delighted for Bogdan. cant slate them for that

I'd be of the view that 30pts after 17 games isn't harsh a target, didn't happen last year but needs to happen this year.
    It has only happened once in the three previous seasons. Liverpool currently have 8 points after 6 games, in order to meet your 30 point target we have to average 2 points per game for the next 11 games.

Aston Villa (H)
    Everton (A)
    Tottenham (A)
    Southampton (A)
    Chelsea (A)
    Crystal Palace (H)
    Man City (A)
    Swansea (H)
    Newcastle (A)
    West Brom (H)
    Watford (A)

I'm not saying it's impossible, but given the rudderless nature of the team at the moment it doesn't seem likely.

CPpkmWBXAAAWiWx.jpg

Guys like Moreno and Can want to win and they are young enough not to have been beaten down by life! So I do not have any issues with that excitement. Also the tension would have been mighty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

CPpkmWBXAAAWiWx.jpg

They're practicing for whenever we get a significant win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It has only happened once in the three previous seasons. Liverpool currently have 8 points after 6 games, in order to meet your 30 point target we have to average 2 points per game for the next 11 games.

Aston Villa (H)
    Everton (A)
    Tottenham (A)
    Southampton (A)
    Chelsea (A)
    Crystal Palace (H)
    Man City (A)
    Swansea (H)
    Newcastle (A)
    West Brom (H)
    Watford (A)

I'm not saying it's impossible, but given the rudderless nature of the team at the moment it doesn't seem likely.

The form we are in right now the only game that looks winnable right now is Newcastle away we might get something from the Villa and Watford games.

• Advertisement

CPpkmWBXAAAWiWx.jpg

I thought it was embarrassing to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Its possible if you get a better manager in. I dont see any other way unless a complete turn around is performed by everyone and it seems unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Turtyturd wrote: »

Ha haaaaa classic mate, that's definitely one for the Twitter account!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

CPpkmWBXAAAWiWx.jpg

Only thing wrong with that picture is the haircut from the Carlisle guy! Jesus christ!

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    I thought it was embarrassing to be honest.

I'd never give any stick to players celebrating a win. Its not like they celebrated like it was Istanbul. And I would take it more celebrating with the GK who was excellent for the peno's. I know it was a L2 team but they weren't milking it either. Through to the next round. Still in with a chance providing we change manager.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Ha haaaaa classic mate, that's definitely one for the Twitter account!

Would it translate to twitter though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I know its been a cat bad start to the season and fans levels of tolerance are seriously depleted. But I think he should be given a bit more time to turn it around things looked a lot better against Norwich and we were unlucky not to come away with three points, having said that though I'm still not sold on the three at the back it just doesn't sit right with me.

I hoped during the summer Rodgers would be kept on but in hindsight it may have been the right time for him to go but fsg backed him, with a lot of players coming in and the backroom staff being replaced it was always going to be a dodgy start, we need more than six games to see where we are at.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'd never give any stick to players celebrating a win. Its not like they celebrated like it was Istanbul. And I would take it more celebrating with the GK who was excellent for the peno's. I know it was a L2 team but they weren't milking it either. Through to the next round. Still in with a chance providing we change manager.

After 2 hours slogging away and the peno's, I'd say they are massively happy to get the win. No harm in celebrating that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Would it translate to twitter though?

Dunno, he's a wit though, he'd make it work!

This is what we've come to so, celebrating a penalty victory over a League 2 side 65 places below us. Nothing to be running and jumping on fellas about imo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement