Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Good one. I was happy during the Houllier / Benitez eras at being in the upper echelon of the league maintaining a base that was used to challenge for trophies or advancement to the later stages of European competition year on year. And do you know what? That was a slight lowering of standards from what fans would have expected during the 70's and 80's. That's as low as I would go however and, yes, the Souness and Evans eras were poor enough to make the Houllier / Benitez decade seem like a mini golden age.

Houllier had 2 teams to challenge, Rafa had 3. Rodgers has 5 at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Mick McCarty deserves his chance.

So if Rodgers is sacked who takes over , Kenny? Could he step in until we find our man. What if he does step in and gets us 4th, would he still be asked to step aside.

NukaCola wrote: »
    The feeling I get with BR is he will turn us around, for a period of time. Whatever formation/approach he will settle on will get picked a part by a decent team and he wont change it until its too late.

I can see us going on a run and then falling apart again. I have no doubt he'd get us 5/6 every year with this approach. But he's not learning and after 3 years we have similar problems to his first season even. Players are not being utilised by his tactics, and when he gets a formation and tactics to work he cant adapt them when results go bad.

He wont get us back into the top 4 and he wont win us any trophies. But he will get us in and around par or just below. We need more, and that may be unfair but its a fact. As for who is available to take over etc is up for debate.

From now on, if anyone asks for my opinion on the manager. This is it, word for word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Rodgers has City and Chelsea. Arsenal have consistently got top 4 fair enough. United hav been in flux for the past 2, going on 3 years. Your revisionism is pathetic.

Rodgers has City and Chelsea. Arsenal have consistently got top 4 fair enough. United hav been in flux for the past 2, going on 3 years. Your revisionism is pathetic.

Arsenal and United are also superior to Liverpool right now and have been for 20+ years (bar one season). This is a fact that nobody can dispute seriously.

Spurs have also finished ahead of us 4 of the last 5 years I think.

Arsenal and United are also superior to Liverpool right now and have been for 20+ years (bar one season). This is a fact that nobody can dispute seriously.

United have been shocking for the past 2 seasons, only Brods incompetence has stopped Liverpool overtaking them.

United have been shocking for the past 2 seasons, only Brods incompetence has stopped Liverpool overtaking them.

Then why haven't Spurs also surpassed them?

United, just like they always have done, manage to pull performances out of the bag when needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Probably the most damning statistic. At least the other 4 have higher revenue and a higher wage bill than us so they should finish ahead of us more often than not. No excuse really for finishing behind Spurs 4 seasons out of 5.

Probably the most damning statistic. At least the other 4 have higher revenue and a higher wage bill than us so they should finish ahead of us more often than not. No excuse really for finishing behind Spurs 4 seasons out of 5.

And yet people still don't see the issue when they demand top 4 every season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

murpho999 wrote: »
    Klopp is also not Premiership proven!
    Careful now - you might get accused of advocating Sam Allardyce for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

This would have been a great season to mount a title challenge. City are obviously the favourites but are vulnerable, Chelsea have fallen apart, Arsenal are doing their usual thing and will finish 3rd or 4th, United are poor. If FSG had gotten Klopp/Ancelotti in the summer and given them £100 million we would be right up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

And yet people still don't see the issue when they demand top 4 every season.

Perhaps people ought to to take a harder look at our cherished past to understand why Arsenal & United generate more revenue than us.

We blew it years ago, the Moores were fools with no vision, the root cause of our issues stems from their failure to build up the ground in boom years, they sold us to the worst owners conceivable and only now are we getting round to addressing the infrastructure problems we have. Makes me wretch listening to idiots complaining about the owners while they maintain the 5th highest wage bill, spend hundreds of millions in the transfer market, redevelop Anfield and surrounding area etc.

It's a case of what did the Romans ever do for us....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Their performance in both domestic and european cup competitions has to be considered too.

That is unless you believe both managers had luckier draws too?

Their performance in both domestic and european cup competitions has to be considered too.

Houllier had one fantastic season and imo should have been cut loose sooner than 2004.

He finished 2nd in 01/02 and signed Cheyrou, Diouf and Diao as the players to get us over the line and win the title. Let that sink in.

Diouf and Diao in while Anelka and Litmanen left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Arsenal have been static and stale under Wenger for 11 years a team outside the top 4 with the right manager and backing (Which Rodgers has gotten) would have been able to move past them.

Utd have been in shocking since Fergie retired and when we passed them to finish in the top 4 two seasons ago that should have been that for us yet Rodgers blew it.

Van Gaal came in and showed what an experienced manager can do with average to good players and took there top 4 place back from a Rodgers trying to be to clever for his own and the clubs good.

Rodgers blew it simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Houllier had one fantastic season and imo should have been cut loose sooner than 2004.

He finished 2nd in 01/02 and signed Cheyrou, Diouf and Diao as the players to get us over the line and win the title. Let that sink in.

You're opening yourself up to a list of players signed last summer to replace Suarez...

I don't know how you can say we should have given Gez the bullet earlier and then say that Rodgers should be kept on tbh. If we could see any sign that there was something improving then I'd love him to stay but he looks like a manager who's lost his way.

I still think he's a very good manager btw and has huge potential but that doesn't mean his time hasn't come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Why do we always crucify our managers for the players that turned out ****. Name a manager who didnt buy his fair share of ****e players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

So if Rodgers is sacked who takes over , Kenny? Could he step in until we find our man. What if he does step in and gets us 4th, would he still be asked to step aside.

Would they give to Macca until someone else comes up.
    His record wasnt too bad at leeds. The Coventry win rate was pretty low though.

mcCB2Wb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

This would have been a great season to mount a title challenge. City are obviously the favourites but are vulnerable, Chelsea have fallen apart, Arsenal are doing their usual thing and will finish 3rd or 4th, United are poor. If FSG had gotten Klopp/Ancelotti in the summer and given them £100 million we would be right up there.

This opinion is incredibly removed from reality. City have conceded 2 goals in 6 games and have dropped 3 points. They had 1 bad result but calling them vulnerable is a ridiculous claim imo. United are poor and yet have had 2 bad results, one a draw after complete domination and 1 a tough away loss after taking the lead. Chelsea and Arsenal both have miles better squads than Liverpool and 6 games does not a season make.

In the unlikely situation that Liverpool could convince a Klopp or Ancellotti level manager to join and just give them 100m, who would they have bought that is better than what Rodgers bought this season? Firmino and Benteke cost 60m+ and are both very good players. You could argue against the system being employed hindering them but they are high level signings, it's just all the other teams have players like that throughout their squad and aren't relying on players at the level of Lovren and whoever. The league is as competitive as ever, City have a very good 1st and 2nd choice 11 which is what will probably win them the league but it is still very open this season.

mcCB2Wb.jpg

If we do that I'm done with Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

They could be right.

We might win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

mcCB2Wb.jpg

image-7-qpr-v-liverpool-fc-at-loftus-road-london-pics-david-rawcliffe-propaganda-615301466.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

If we do that I'm done with Liverpool.

It would be idiotic, I don't think the owners would can BR without having a replacement in the bag. Talk of a temporary coach with no pedigree would be even more detrimental to the club than carrying on with Rodgers.

I personally don't believe he is out while we are still in the UEFA cup or have a real chance of getting out of the group. Domestic cups cant save him but potentially the UEFA could.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I see Rodgers getting fired on Monday 5th October the day after the Everton Game.

Liverpool really do have good players but the manager cant bring them together as a team.

It would be idiotic, I don't think the owners would can BR without having a replacement in the bag. Talk of a temporary coach with no pedigree would be even more detrimental to the club than carrying on with Rodgers.

I personally don't believe he is out while we are still in the UEFA cup or have a real chance of getting out of the group. Domestic cups cant save him but potentially the UEFA could.

Do you know what the worst thing is? A lot of people would have no problem replacing Rodgers with Gerrard right this second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Knex. wrote: »
    Watching our games is akin to jogging on Lego, barefoot, for 90 minutes.

#Lego

To be honest, I think Rodgers just needs to lego and quit, so we can move onto the k'nex manager and maybe do a duplo with the League Cup and Europa league.

brevity wrote: »
    Tantric Thursday it is.

74133-yeah-baby-gif-austin-powers-q3JX.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Talisman wrote: »
    I don't think they'd appoint either of them. Of all the managers that were available in the summer Mark Warburton (formerly of Brentford, now managing Rangers) seemed like the perfect FSG candidate.

Big Club Experience : NO -> No big salary
    He's forward thinking - he's one of the people responsible for the creation of the NextGen Series.
    His Brentford team played good football and were overachieving in the league.
    He's a former Sports Director/Director of Football.
    Could he handle the pressure of a big club? Yes - He was formerly a currency trader for Bank of America and RBS, trading billions every day.

Himself and Nicola Cortese could be an interesting combination.

Would he be accepted by the masses? Probably not. :)

Couldn't agree less. Warburton was sacked by Brentford and your touting him for the Liverpool job? Moyes was a better shout.

The fact Warbuton ended up in a job in a league where there is still part time players tells you how highly he's rated within the game

• Advertisement

Mick McCarty deserves his chance.

york.gif

What with it being Tantric Thursday and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Probably the worst post I ever read. Warburton was sacked by Brentford and your touting him for the Liverpool job? Moyes was a better shout

In fairness, theres a difference between touting him for the job and saying he is "the perfect FSG candidate".

Thats a prime example of the disconnect at the moment between what the club sees (their own vision) and the fans desire to compete with the big boys again.

In fairness, theres a difference between touting him for the job and saying he is "the perfect FSG candidate".

True, hadn't read it like that. I don't think FSG are that off the wall though. I'd have Mark Warbuton as likely as Roddy Collins or Pat Dolan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

#AyreOut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

chelsea, arsenal, liverpool and utd were four of the best teams in europe during rafas run...can anyone with a straight face say that chelsea, arsenal, city or utd are in the top 4 in europe right now :D

the standard of the premier league is as bad as its been in 20 years and liverpool are lower midtable in that league right now which sums everything up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

#AyreOut

A good Ayreing out is what this clubs needs, been saying it for years.

Debating what to do with Dalglish after he leads Liverpool to 4th is kind of like debating what school you'd send the kid to if you knocked up Mila Kunis.

I don't think its a dilemma you're ever likely to face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

A good few posters on the past few pages seem to think it's a joke that we're now at a similar level to Spurs but realistically it's not that far off, we're always going to have a great history but it got me wondering how do we compare to other clubs around Europe in terms of recent history, so I had a look there at the past ten years across the top 4 leagues in Europe. Liverpools average league position during this time is 4.8, while Spurs is 5.8, so not that much difference in terms of league performance at least. We haven't reached the knockout rounds of the Champions League in 7 seasons either which is a long time and surely these are some things potential new players and managers would be looking at.

I definitely wouldn't class Liverpool in the top bracket of clubs anymore unfortunately. I'd argue that we're on a similar enough level (at best) to the likes of Milan, Inter, Dortmund, Roma, Valencia etc. All still huge clubs but no longer in the elite bracket alongside the likes of Barca, Real, Chelsea, Bayern etc.

For that reason I'd be unsure if Ancellotti would be interested in coming to Anfield at the moment, but I'd like to think it would still appeal to Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Fabio Capello is also out of a job , is a fine coach and has woken "sleeping giants" before , suprised with all the talk being about Klopp and Ancelotti and no mention of the Don

Fabio Capello is also out of a job , is a fine coach and has woken "sleeping giants" before , suprised with all the talk being about Klopp and Ancelotti and no mention of the Don

He is 70 years of age and hasn't been in club management in a decade might as well go for Trap at the rate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Anything to be said for Sven??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

I wonder what David O'Leary is at these days....

Italian players at Liverpool have been a roaring success I'm sure an Italian manager would be as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Mr.H wrote: »
    Anything to be said for Sven??

**** no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Italian players at Liverpool have been a roaring success I'm sure an Italian manager would be as well.

I agree
    But that surely knocks Carlo out of the running too.

I agree
    But that surely knocks Carlo out of the running too.

He lives in Vancouver these days so he's more Canadian :D

How about Paco?
    Led Tel Aviv to the first ever Treble in Israeli football. Knows Liverpool inside out. Has a wealth of experience, but not a lot as a head coach.

A good few posters on the past few pages seem to think it's a joke that we're now at a similar level to Spurs but realistically it's not that far off, we're always going to have a great history but it got me wondering how do we compare to other clubs around Europe in terms of recent history, so I had a look there at the past ten years across the top 4 leagues in Europe. Liverpools average league position during this time is 4.8, while Spurs is 5.8, so not that much difference in terms of league performance at least. We haven't reached the knockout rounds of the Champions League in 7 seasons either which is a long time and surely these are some things potential new players and managers would be looking at.

I definitely wouldn't class Liverpool in the top bracket of clubs anymore unfortunately. I'd argue that we're on a similar enough level (at best) to the likes of Milan, Inter, Dortmund, Roma, Valencia etc. All still huge clubs but no longer in the elite bracket alongside the likes of Barca, Real, Chelsea, Bayern etc.

For that reason I'd be unsure if Ancellotti would be interested in coming to Anfield at the moment, but I'd like to think it would still appeal to Klopp.

Those posters are so stuck in the past its beyond belief. It's like they have completely ignored the fact that Chelsea and City are now bankrolled by billionaires and United are the biggest club in the world. In their eyes we are a huge club because of our history and it's embarrassing.

Liverpool fans always get slagged for living in the past, posters like those ate the exact reason for those comments from rival fans.

25 years without a league title
    1 qualification into the CL in 6 years
    2 trophies since 2006

Wake up and realise this isn't 1984, we haven't just dominated Europe again, we are a midtable side with delusions of grandeur based on the club we were 30 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Couldn't agree less. Warburton was sacked by Brentford and your touting him for the Liverpool job? Moyes was a better shout.

The fact Warbuton ended up in a job in a league where there is still part time players tells you how highly he's rated within the game
    He wasn't sacked from Brentford. The owner wanted to pick the team and tactics based upon his own performance metrics. The management team refused to work in that situation so they left at the end of the season having brought the club to the play-offs.

Can Mark Warburton translate Brentford success to Rangers?

I wasn't touting him for the job, I was pointing out that he is FSG's type of candidate. If you believe what FSG have said about how they want to shape the club, Warburton and Cortese are the kind of people they are looking for but haven't actually appointed.

People who expect Klopp or Ancelotti to be the next manager will more than likely be disappointed.

• Advertisement

Then why haven't Spurs also surpassed them?

United, just like they always have done, manage to pull performances out of the bag when needed.

I must have missed the part where Spurs spent £300m

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement