Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

NukaCola wrote: »
    If he is going I reckon the Newcastle job will suit him when McClaren gets the boot.....

Off to Spain to replace Moyes might suit him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I reckon someone's on the wind up, if we lose against villa there is a good chance he's gone then they will say see I know things but in reality they know **** all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Their performance in both domestic and european cup competitions has to be considered too.

That is unless you believe both managers had luckier draws too?
    Houllier had one fantastic season and imo should have been cut loose sooner than 2004.

He finished 2nd in 01/02 and signed Cheyrou, Diouf and Diao as the players to get us over the line and win the title. Let that sink in.

Diouf and Diao in while Anelka and Litmanen left.

How about you answer the question though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

rossie1977 wrote: »
    chelsea, arsenal, liverpool and utd were four of the best teams in europe during rafas run...can anyone with a straight face say that chelsea, arsenal, city or utd are in the top 4 in europe right now :D

the standard of the premier league is as bad as its been in 20 years and liverpool are lower midtable in that league right now which sums everything up

Effectively my point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

"bollox" based on the article? :pac:

:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

How about you answer the question though?

What question?

Did I miss something here? I credited Houllier for his one fantastic season and obviously Rafas exploits in Europe don't need to be mentioned, I would have thought that much was obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I dont follow the aul baseball, fancy rounders with grown up in weird kits. Does anyone follow it and could comment on the Red Sox appointments? Are they gambles, unknowns or FSG men who follow the script?

Someone said it already, we'll howl and moan here til Rodgers is gone but what comes next might not be such a welcome relief.

It's different in baseball. The General Manager has all the power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thidp

Red Sox and Liverpool are the same in the last years on the field as well.

One fantastic season in the middle of some horrible ones... the difference is Red Sox went all the way and got the title, we didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

brevity wrote: »

That's sad , it really has gone to **** for BR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I dont follow the aul baseball, fancy rounders with grown up in weird kits. Does anyone follow it and could comment on the Red Sox appointments? Are they gambles, unknowns or FSG men who follow the script?

Someone said it already, we'll howl and moan here til Rodgers is gone but what comes next might not be such a welcome relief.
    8-10 wrote: »
    It's different in baseball. The General Manager has all the power

Yeah, I'm not sure about Tomkins points to be honest...first of all baseball and football are very different sports in terms of how you approach management.

As 8-10 said, the General Manager is the most important appointment at the club, and when they were changing things up, the first guy they wanted was Billy Bean - very much a big name for the role. He turned them down to stay with the A's, but they obviously weren't afraid of a proven guy. They also brought in Bobby Valentine as coach at one point, a guy with huge experience.

It didn't work out, but clearly they're not averse to guys who are more experienced rather than up'and'comers if they think its the right move at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Still think he can do a decent job in the EPL outside the top 6.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not sure about Tomkins points to be honest...first of all baseball and football are very different sports in terms of how you approach management.

As 8-10 said, the General Manager is the most important appointment at the club, and when they were changing things up, the first guy they wanted was Billy Bean - very much a big name for the role. He turned them down to stay with the A's, but they obviously weren't afraid of a proven guy. They also brought in Bobby Valentine as coach at one point, a guy with huge experience.

It didn't work out, but clearly they're not averse to guys who are more experienced rather than up'and'comers if they think its the right move at the time.

So what are saying we need philip Hoffman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

That photo could be anything. Looks like he's in the middle of doing a 'wanker' gesture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

That picture was more than likely just taken at an opportune time that makes it look funny/sad but he probably had just turned for a second when it was taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

T-K-O wrote: »

Or Jonah Hill? :P

Still think he can do a decent job in the EPL outside the top 6.

As do I. We are a 2nd tier club with notions of gradure. How often does a gem like Suarez come along and at that price.

We need oil money to get back to the glory days. Sad but that is modern football.

That picture was more than likely just taken at an opportune time that makes it look funny/sad but he probably had just turned for a second when it was taken.

You would hope so, they get paid enough to listen up for 5 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

The article was posted last April ... times have changed since.

Taking the sentiment out of the equation and just looking at the numbers for a moment, FSG have to soon make a decision to make regarding this league season.

If we ignore last season due to the various circumstances, Rodgers has a 1.91 PPG average as manager of Liverpool. This number is significant.

Season : Points Total - Points Per Game (PPG)
    2012/13 : 61 points - 1.61 PPG
    2013/14 : 84 points - 2.21 PPG
    2014/15 : 62 points - 1.63 PPG

This season, we're currently on 1.33 PPG which will give a projected final total of 50 points. It leaves the club requiring 1.94 PPG for the remainder of the season (Approx. 21 wins in 32 games) to achieve the 70 point target for a top 4 finish.

As things stand we are already in a situation where the team need to perform better than the average for the first two seasons.

There was a rumour on Twitter that Rodgers was told he needed to get 7 points from the three league games following the Man Utd defeat. If the rumour was true the projected target is 14 points from 8 games, targeting 1.87 PPG for the remainder of the season.

This makes sense because of the 1.91 averaged for the first two seasons, if he fails to meet the 14 points from 8 games target then the season is in danger as he has to outperform his average for the first two seasons.

8 Games, 14 Points -> Target 1.87 PPG
    9 Games, 14 Points -> Target 1.93 PPG
    10 Games, 14 Points -> Target 2.0 PPG

By game 9 of the season, the decision on Rodgers future will have been made mathematically.

Game 7 : Aston Villa (H)
    Game 8 : Everton (A)
    Game 9 : Tottenham (A)

If we're in a situation where we need him to be better than the 1.91 average for the remainder of the season then the league season is a write-off. At that point winning the Europa League becomes the only way to secure Champions League football next season without changing the manager.

• Advertisement

Doesn't everyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I'm like a kid on Xmas waiting for the news to break that he is finally gone.

You would hope so, they get paid enough to listen up for 5 minutes

If Rodgers team talks are anything like his press conferences I wouldn't blame them for not listening no matter how much they are getting paid.

Thinking about Rodgers...I can't help but wonder how much of his failings come down to ego.

We see time and time again how he perceives himself as this student of the game, someone on another level tactically to your average manager.

When we have situations like this season and last season, where there really looks to be an obvious solution - I really think the only reason he's not opting for it is because it's what anyone could do.

Right now for example if he goes for a 4-4-2 midfield diamond with 2 up, he's not done anything special, he's taking the obvious route. I can't imagine he's not seeing the simple solutions everyone else sees, so I have to assume he is just refusing them. Like he only wants to do things others haven't seen. Things that show off his talents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

I'm like a kid on Xmas waiting for the news to break that he is finally gone.

Haha, after working in retail for so many years and crushing many kids dreams when they tried to buy the likes of GTA off me, I forgot how much I missed it.

If Rodgers team talks are anything like his press conferences I wouldn't blame them for not listening no matter how much they are getting paid.

This yarn again, managers spoof the media. In fact BR has excelled in that role.

Thinking about Rodgers...I can't help but wonder how much of his failings come down to ego.

We see time and time again how he perceives himself as this student of the game, someone on another level tactically to your average manager.

When we have situations like this season and last season, where there really looks to be an obvious solution - I really think the only reason he's not opting for it is because it's what anyone could do.

Right now for example if he goes for a 4-4-2 midfield diamond with 2 up, he's not done anything special, he's taking the obvious route. I can't imagine he's not seeing the simple solutions everyone else sees, so I have to assume he is just refusing them. Like he only wants to do things others haven't seen. Things that show off his talents.

When a manager is successful that is a quality, unfortunately for him the form and results have dried up.

I always thought rafa was like that. You never knew who he was going to select and his subs would boggle the mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

i really think that FSG won't pay the money to sack him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

When is his contract up?

• Advertisement

This yarn again, managers spoof the media. In fact BR has excelled in that role.

It is so great that not a single **** is given and I've no urge to argue over this rubbish. He will be gone soon and this nightmare will finally be over. Maybe he can go into PR after this.

It is so great that not a single **** is given and I've no urge to argue over this rubbish. He will be gone soon and this nightmare will finally be over. Maybe he can go into PR after this.

Argue? What you taking about. Getting bent outta shape over a manger spoofing the media is nonsensical.

Those who wanted him gone for 12 months of so have valid reasons but the media stuff is not one of them

Vicxas wrote: »
    When is his contract up?

summer 2017 could be 2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Where do FSG get this reputation of being tight with money when they have been the opposite?

Paid off club debts, paid off Hodgson, paid off Kenny, plenty of money for transfers and stadium being redeveloped.

They are not stupid and will realise that if current form continues then it will be damaging to the club and its revenues and value and it would therefore make financial sense to pay Rodgers off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

summer 2017 could be 2018

There was talk(isn't there always :))that he'd only have to be paid up to the end of the season because of missing out on Champions League last season. Don't know if that's true or not...just saying what I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Is anyone hearing anything about Klinsmann? ��

murpho999 wrote: »
    Where do FSG get this reputation of being tight with money when they have been the opposite?

Paid off club debts, paid off Hodgson, paid off Kenny, plenty of money for transfers and stadium being redeveloped.

They are not stupid and will realise that if current form continues then it will be damaging to the club and its revenues and value and it would therefore make financial sense to pay Rodgers off.

Will cost minmum £10million to change if not £15 or more. These are money men. They won't spend it.

Everything they've spent is club money. Not their own.

They aren't stupid. just when it comes to some football matters they're a bit thick.

murpho999 wrote: »

Exactly...and at its very core, we're an asset of theirs. A club on the up is always going to be worth a lot more than a club in decline.

Will cost minmum £10million to change if not £15 or more. These are money men. They won't spend it.

Exactly the way it should be, and how this problem will be solved. There's plenty of money in the club to replace Rodgers.

Incidentally, a lot of the reason the club actually has decent revenue to be able to spend its own money is down to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

gafferino wrote: »

Ah man don't spoil my buzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

They aren't stupid. just when it comes to some football matters they're a bit thick.

This is not true at all.

Sacking Rodgers will for them be a business decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

gafferino wrote: »
    There was a rumour in the summer linking him with a move to the Premier League.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Ah man don't spoil my buzz

Yeah I know.... Basically I reckon I know some of the people Dub was talking about earlier (maybe not) as had heard the 'he's gone' rumour from some people involved in Irish Kop etc which then turned into Klinsmann. Ah probably just rumour ****e..... Hopefully :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Just been listening to Barrett on Newstalk there - one of the more reliable sources of all things LFC - and from what he's heard, nothing's imminent so I think you can forget about a dramatic announcement in the morning.
    He feels that it'd take a defeat to Villa - not at all implausible - or a couple of successive defeats before that would change.
    We limp on.

Talisman wrote: »
    There was a rumour in the summer linking him with a move to the Premier League.

If we were to even consider going down the Klinsmann route, I'd have Gary Monk every day of the week ahead of him. And I don't want Monk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

As do I. We are a 2nd tier club with notions of gradure. How often does a gem like Suarez come along and at that price.

We need oil money to get back to the glory days. Sad but that is modern football.

juventus, dortmund, atletico madrid have all won national titles and reached the champions league final in recent years..juventus' entire starting midfield in the final cost them less than what joe "welsh xavi" cost liverpool

forbes ranks liverpool more valuable than each of those clubs, just highlighting what a truly awful job rodgers has done on the field last four years. if liverpool had oil money rodgers would probably be paying £60 million each for lallana, lovern and markovic

• Advertisement

juventus, dortmund, atletico madrid have all won national titles and reached the champions league final in recent years..juventus' entire starting midfield in the final cost them less than what joe "welsh xavi" cost liverpool

forbes ranks liverpool more valuable than each of those clubs, just highlighting what a truly awful job rodgers has done on the field last four years. if liverpool had oil money rodgers would probably be paying £60 million each for lallana, lovern and markovic

Worth £60 million for those endless Cruyff turns alone. Money can't buy you love but it can buy you happiness.

forbes ranks liverpool more valuable than each of those clubs, just highlighting what a truly awful job rodgers has done on the field last four years. if liverpool had oil money rodgers would be paying probably be paying £60 million each for lallana, lovern and markovic

That point had nothing to do with Rodgers.

Are you seriously comparing the top team in Italy with Liverpool? When it comes to players we compete with he likes of juve then we have the top 4 domestic teams, teams we cannot compete with .

Sign for Liverpool or the champions of sire a. The above just doesn't stand up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Everyone still think Klopp wouldn't take the job I'd offered?
    FSG should hire him ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Good article here from Tomkins

http://tomkinstimes.com/2015/04/fsg-the-red-sox-and-dealing-with-management/

Conclusions are

To believe that Rodgers’ fate is bound up in league position or specific win/loss results or somehow hangs in the balance of these last six games, is to believe that FSG will act one way in Boston and another way in Liverpool.

To believe that FSG would even consider replacing Rodgers because a perceived “upgrade” has come available is again to believe that FSG will act one way in Boston and another way in Liverpool.

To believe that if Brendan Rodgers dropped dead tomorrow FSG would look to replace him with a “big name” who “has won things” is once more to believe that FSG will act one way in Boston and another way in Liverpool.

To believe that FSG would even consider firing Rogers over the transfer dealings which have transpired is to believe that FSG will act one way in Boston and another way in Liverpool.

To believe that FSG’s “preference” is to have a strong and experienced DOF over Rodgers making football decisions is to believe that FSG will act one way in Boston and another way in Liverpool.

If Rodgers gets himself fired – it will be due to a straining of the working relationship with FSG, not due to on the field results – at least if FSG follows its Boston form. There is nothing I have seen publicly to suggest that that has happened.

But are we closer to Boston or Berlin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Interestingly, Red Sox have just appointed a new general manager after my post earlier - announced an hour or so ago

He was the assistant GM and has been with the team's front office for the guts of 10 years

http://mweb.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25315210/red-sox-promote-assistant-gm-mike-hazen-to-gm-role

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement