Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Mr.H wrote: »
    Worst part about that season is everyone remembers Gerrards slip

IF and Im saying IF we won the league (even despite Gerrards slip) everyone would be talking about Kompanys slip (was it Coutinhos goal?)

More of a miskick than slip. The team was set up perfect against Chelsea. I can't understand why people say it was naive. It wasn't all out attack that cost the game it was Gerrard slipping. Chelsea created nothing. How does playing defensive stop a huge player error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm sure it was discussed plenty at the time but if we had abandoned the style of play that got us so far that season he would have been destroyed by fans and the media. We weren't able to play defensively so it would have been a pointless exercise.

We didn't have to play defensively, we just had to not be utterly ludicrous in our formation. When Gerrard slipped, we didn't have a single outfield player between our goal and the centre circle. Not one.
    It was the horrible tactics by Chelsea that annoyed me. Time wasting from the very first minute, no interest whatsoever in attacking. They could have played until July that year and still wouldn't have scored if not for Gerrards slip.

Why should we care even a little about their time wasting and lack of attacking intent? We should have been rejoicing over it!
    niallo27 wrote: »
    More of a miskick than slip. The team was set up perfect against Chelsea. I can't understand why people say it was naive. It wasn't all out attack that cost the game it was Gerrard slipping. Chelsea created nothing. How does playing defensive stop a huge player error.

Players are human. Errors happen. If they happen in your box, so be it, but a simple error out by the halfway line shouldn't be able to lead to a guy being clean through with no opposition. One or both of the CB's should have been deeper than Gerrard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Players are human. Errors happen. If they happen in your box, so be it, but a simple error out by the halfway line shouldn't be able to lead to a guy being clean through with no opposition. One or both of the CB's should have been deeper than Gerrard.

Wasn't that the tactic all season? Gerrard dropping back to collect the ball and spray passes? Iirc it was Sakho who passed him the ball.

Wasn't that the tactic all season? Gerrard dropping back to collect the ball and spray passes? Iirc it was Sakho who passed him the ball.

Yeah throughout the season he dropped deep to collect the ball, but in this occasion he wasn't deep - he was right by the halfway line, directly between the 2 CB's who were pushed right up there too...there's just no need for it. Those 3 were the only players even in our half, and they were spread the entire length across the pitch so none of them had any chance of covering for the others. Just utterly pointless positioning, and yet clearly the plan as they're in formation with each other.

I mean, even if he hadn't messed up, and had played a pass which got intercepted say, one long ball would put any fast player on their team right through with acres of space to run into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I still love him

Likewise.

I wonder who in the squad Rodgers can ask to text targets to come and join. The stars have gone. We need a manager who can make the team the star.

We didn't have to play defensively, we just had to not be utterly ludicrous in our formation. When Gerrard slipped, we didn't have a single outfield player between our goal and the centre circle. Not one.

Why should we care even a little about their time wasting and lack of attacking intent? We should have been rejoicing over it!

He was a bit inside his own half in fairness. Chelsea had no interest in scoring. Ba is through even if the centre halfs are level with Gerrard. Gerrard ****ed up that day. It was a massive error. We don't have to blame Rodgers for everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,491 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If we beat Villa and then win the Miseryside Derby will we want Rodgers to stay?
    He has been unlucky to lose Henderson , to get Sturridge back only to lose Benteke. We have also lost Lovren and Firmino.
    We also should of been 3-0 when Norwich scored, and 0-3 away to Arsenal but for saves no keeper should be saving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Could someone tell me please how I add someone to the ignore list? Before I unfollow the thread. Can't see the option on the mobile site.

You'll need to change to the desktop site. Worth the effort, though, or at least I've found it so for the last few hours, what with my severe allergy to congenital imbecility. Great peace from a certain degree of hooting and gibbering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

If we beat Villa and then win the Miseryside Derby will we want Rodgers to stay?
    He has been unlucky to lose Henderson , to get Sturridge back only to lose Benteke. We have also lost Lovren and Firmino.
    We also should of been 3-0 when Norwich scored, and 0-3 away to Arsenal but for saves no keeper should be saving.

I will want Rodgers to stay if Liverpool are challenging for top 4 for the rest of the season. We are currently 4 points off I think. We need to close this gap.

• Advertisement

He was a bit inside his own half in fairness. Chelsea had no interest in scoring. Ba is through even if the centre halfs are level with Gerrard. Gerrard ****ed up that day. It was a massive error. We don't have to blame Rodgers for everything.

He really wasn't. I don't have a problem with Gerrards positioning by the way, it's totally fine, I have a problem with the CB's being that far up, and that far wide, meaning they can do absolutely nothing about an attack down the middle, which happened. A slow Gerrard was the only thing standing in Chelsea's way through on goal, slip or no slip.

This defensive plan was just asking for trouble. Look at Ba, before the pass is even made he's already on the run to pressure Gerrard. Even if he doesn't slip, there's a myriad of things that can go wrong. It was a silly setup with zero redundancy that got exposed.

363734.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Who else tried to click to get the image to play :D oh Mr.H you idiot

You also need to consider who was available to play midfield, given Henderson's suspension. I don't think we had the options available to pack the midfield and grind out a defensive performance. You might as well point to Toure against WBA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

He really wasn't. I don't have a problem with Gerrards positioning by the way, it's totally fine, I have a problem with the CB's being that far up, and that far wide, meaning they can do absolutely nothing about an attack down the middle, which happened. A slow Gerrard was the only thing standing in Chelsea's way through on goal, slip or no slip.

This defensive plan was just asking for trouble. Look at Ba, before the pass is even made he's already on the run to pressure Gerrard. Even if he doesn't slip, there's a myriad of things that can go wrong. It was a silly setup with zero redundancy that got exposed.

attachment.php?attachmentid=363734&d=1443215405

This makes me so sad. Just slip it down the line behind the Chelsea player for Coutinho to run on to. We'd have won the league.

363734.png

There are probably situations like that in every game but we just don't notice them. They probably were over confident but who can blame them in fairness. Gerard was in the centre half position so I don't mind skrtel giving him an option.

corwill wrote: »
    You also need to consider who was available to play midfield, given Henderson's suspension. I don't think we had the options available to pack the midfield and grind out a defensive performance. You might as well point to Toure against WBA.

There were loads of things besides Gerard's slip in fairness. Tim Horward gifting city two goals was another.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Are we on Setanta tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

5starpool wrote: »
    Are we on Setanta tomorrow?

No the Utd game on Setanta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The BDSM instinct remains strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The BDSM instinct remains strong.

I can hear certain rival fans flys unbuttoning and the lids clicking on the lotion bottles.

I think we take it au naturale these days.

• Advertisement

No the Utd game on Setanta.

Boooooo.

Crappy streams ahoy!

I might start the match thread for the craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

He was well within his rights to be confident though in fairness.

"Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can’t lose."

Call it what you want it was player error that caused the goal.

There were loads of things besides Gerard's slip in fairness. Tim Horward gifting city two goals was another.

You can always point to plenty of events on which a season hinges, I agree. But my stomach lurched when Henderson was shown that red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's unfair to put it on him, anyway. Every result from day one counted that season. Gerrard did far more good than bad, overall. Why am I still talking about this, I have an iron to be running over my legs and a Simply Red cd to listen to.

I hope he turns it around and we have a good season that ends with a throw fee .

http://talksport.com/football/liverpool-are-lucky-have-brendan-rodgers-insists-aston-villa-manager-tim-sherwood

''"All of a sudden he doesn't turn into a bad manager, it's fine margins. We might have seen him at Real Madrid.''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Plenty of tickets still available on LFC website. Very unusual that. FSG will pay attention to that if nothing else. Interesting to see the attendance in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,582 ✭✭✭✭CSF

So Brendan Rodgers' overconfidence caused Gerrard to slip and cost his team a league title? Solid logic Stevie, way to accept the blame.

mosstin wrote: »
    Plenty of tickets still available on LFC website. Very unusual that. FSG will pay attention to that if nothing else. Interesting to see the attendance in the coming weeks.

Have a look at the amount of tickets available for the Sion game, looks to be a huge amount of them. At least for the game tomorrow it's only limited availability in a few sections.

• Advertisement

Bad News Barrett
    The transfer committee system that replaced the director of football template that was initially implemented has misfired. (Tony Barrett)

FSG/Committee have been frustrated at the way Rodgers has deployed signings that they have prioritized - such as Sakho/Markovic. (Barrett)

Rodgers tried to block a move to sign Daniel Sturridge only to backtrack the following January in the wake of pressure from FSG. (Barrett)

Brendan Rodgers has long harboured doubts about whether he can succeed given the
    conditions that he works under. #lfc (Tony Barrett)

While FSG has had its own concerns about the Northern Irishman’s willingness to work collaboratively. #lfc (Tony Barrett)

Should either Klopp or Ancelotti succeed Rodgers, the current "model” will be gone for good. #lfc (Tony Barrett)

Sharing votes on potential signings between Rodgers & executives has resulted in no one involved getting exactly what they want. (Barrett)

Now presumably he didn't learn this through telepathy or pure insight so more briefing by the club against the manager.

The article is in the Saturday paper, I just read it and its more of a short overall appraisal of the last few years and how the FSG approach as envisaged has failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Judging by FSG's history I'm sure there will be a few leaks detailing the players Rodgers really wanted - id say there will be a few head scratchers there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I hope he turns it around and we have a good season that ends with a throw fee .

It's over, he's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Bad News Barrett

Now presumably he didn't learn this through telepathy or pure insight so more briefing by the club against the manager.

The article is in the Saturday paper, I just read it and its more of a short overall appraisal of the last few years and how the FSG approach as envisaged has failed.

The best and most promising quote from that Barrett list for me is the piece that the current model of signing players will be torn up.

I'd guess FSG might revert to their original pre Rodgers plan of a DOF overseeing rather than the current transfer committee

________Mignolet___
    Cylne_Skrtel_Sakho_Moreno
    ________Lucas___________
    ___Milner_____Lallana__
    _______Couthino_______
    ___Sturridge____Ings___

Kill em that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Hidalgo wrote: »
    The best and most promising quote from that Barrett list for me is the piece that the current model of signing players will be torn up.

I'd guess FSG might revert to their original pre Rodgers plan of a DOF overseeing rather than the current transfer committee

Which most continental managers have worked under.....

If it is a return to a DoF approach, I hope they appoint someone credible and not some clown like Comolli.

Not a whimper from Jo Dan . I thought he would of come out and said something positive about the man who made him captain. A show of togetherness.

________Mignolet___
    Cylne_Skrtel_Sakho_Moreno
    ________Lucas___________
    ___Milner_____Lallana__
    _______Couthino_______
    ___Sturridge____Ings___

Kill em that way.

Would love to see this actually, but I reckon we'll see another back 3.

I think in Lallana we have a player more that capable of playing in a central midfield role, I think from there he has the technical ability to influence the game in a positive way. You don't need power in there, you need an Iniesta , a forward looking ,a forward thinking player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

The problem that day vs Chelsea was not that Gerrard slipped; it was more his fking awful attempt to control the ball!

I think in Lallana we have a player more that capable of playing in a central midfield role, I think from there he has the technical ability to influence the game in a positive way. You don't need power in there, you need an Iniesta , a forward looking ,a forward thinking player.

With Milner and Lucas beside him, along with Sakho and Moreno behind him he wouldn't necessarily need to do too much more on the defensive side than just covering. Wouldn't worry about that midfield very much, particularly at home against Villa.

We need to put out a more attacking team than we've been doing, and this would look to work. Down the line, i'd like to see this with Firmino taking Coutinhos role behind the strikers, and Coutinho dropping back into Lallana's role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Trust me, those 2 posters don't bother me in the slightest.

They have both shown themselves to be....... (if I continue I'll get a ban so I'll stop here).

Needless to say I'm still waiting on Tipsy to take me up on my offer of a bet, he seems to just continually ignore me when it's mentioned. Weldoninhio has been shown to lie about the team he supports so I just cannot take him seriously.

Their obsession with me is cute though.

When did I lie about who I supported? I'm a Celtic fan who has a soft spot for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Milkers wrote: »
    The problem that day vs Chelsea was not that Gerrard slipped; it was more his fking awful attempt to control the ball!

I think it was more the mentality of the players, Rodgers and even us supporters. Chelsea set out to frustrate us and it couldn't have worked any better for them.

I remember watching it and thinking These fecking chunts waisting time, But Liverpool should of just played along and got the point that was needed.

RE Gerrard's slip
    waddayah-gonna-do-65257769762.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Which most continental managers have worked under.....

If it is a return to a DoF approach, I hope they appoint someone credible and not some clown like Comolli.

It has to be DOF + manager in synch.
    Like Klopp and Zorc or Emrey and Monchi.

My fear is how someone like Klopp would do without Zorc who (I think) was very heavily involved in player recruitment.

He would at least get the squad playing in more fluid and cohesive manner than currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

5starpool wrote: »
    Google started in 1998, probably older than some posters here though.

It was probably just a rereg of Infoseek though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

carlo-ancelotti-photo-759292022.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Carlo & Headcase Mario Dream team coaching staff.

Brod.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

The season we won the league was the most ballsy exciting football i have ever seen we spanked so many teams...that was rogers playing how he invisaged football...he had the players to do it.....doubt set in and self doubt set in and we went backwards. his days are numbered. he spooofed but initially his spoof was heart felt. that season was unbelievable... i gave home stick for being so niave against chealsea but looking back i'm glad he went for it....it would have been a dream to walk out on to pitch with a manager given you that freedom.
    Unfortunatly he pissed on a lot transfer and did not the player he should have played
    He should have always and i mean ****ing always played tow bad ass stiker up front but the other team on the back foot but the doubt set in.
    I'm so thank for the nearly season but it's time to say good bye.
    we are liverpool i wish him all the best but his best was ultimately not good enough
    I wish him well in his future endeavours...newcastle is a calling after the pool

Bowlardo wrote: »
    The season we won the league was the most ballsy exciting football

few pints?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement