Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 (*EVERYONE READ MOD POST in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Plus two European cups and 6 domestic cups.

He has 3 European Cups

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Klopp over ancelotti definitely just simply because he has dealt with a similar situation. I think they could both attract players. Little else out there that can compete in the transfer market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I have said I don't see Ancelotti turning around our fortunes.

Fair enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

niallo27 wrote: »
    They don't need to be turned around they just need to be improved. They are not that far behind. It's already proved it can be done.

What would be the minimum expectation be in the unlikely event of him getting the job?

This is all a pointless discussion because Ancelotti would have no interest anyway. He could wait til the summer and take the Bayern job and stroll to more league titles.

That's a more serious possibility aright, but as the flag on the Kop says, Make Us Dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

What would be the minimum expectation be in the unlikely event of him getting the job?

I think that any manager should be given this season as leeway, as long as it's not catastrophic and should be on course for challenging for fourth next year.

I really think we should avoid a manger linked to Spain that is going to bring in more Spanish/South American players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Top 4 within 3 years at the least. Challenging next year for top 4.

Has Sevilla playing fantastic football for a long time now.

And they're bottom of the league

8-10 wrote: »
    And they're bottom of the league

I have to say, i don't get his obsession with the Seville manager. He's done a decent job there, no doubt. But it doesn't translate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I would swap him Monday morning for some managers, Ancelotti just doesn't fall into that category for me. An impressive CV but it probably should be better when you consider the clubs he has worked with. I just don't feel confident he would come into a club like Liverpool and completely change our fortunes.

Sure you could look at the teams on his management CV and say he could have won more but you could likewise look at the teams he was up against Juventus, United and Barca and say he did pretty well considering.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Top 4 within 3 years at the least. Challenging next year for top 4.

Would you see him hanging around for 3 years?

monkey9 wrote: »
    I have to say, i don't get his obsession with the Seville manager. He's done a decent job there, no doubt. But it doesn't translate

Back to back Europa League wins?

monkey9 wrote: »

It's just hard to ignore that start to the season. It's not like they've played Real or Barca. Only scored 2 goals against Levante and Celta, no wins yet, 8 goals conceded and just lost 2-0 to a newly promoted team Las Palmas.

That's worse than Liverpool's start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    I think Brendans time is up, his press conference yesterday had a rather doomed/farewell tone about it. Hopefully a new appointment will be made quickly if FSG do decide to let him go in the next week or two.

I think its time for a new direction anyway, Ive always liked Brendan and Ive always wanted it to work and he did give us that amazing season in 13 but unfortunately he looks like hes completely run out of ideas. Seeing some of the personal abuse he has received online over the last few days from lowlives is absolutely sickening too, he is only human after all. He doesnt deserve that as he has always respected the club and the fans and always done his best for the club even if it isnt good enough anymore. He has given us some good times and has always shown respect and so for as long as hes the Manager he deserves to be shown the same respect back even if his position is untenable.

Well said.

jpboard1 wrote: »
    I really think we should avoid a manger linked to Spain that is going to bring in more Spanish/South American players.

Because our Spanish and south American players have been so bad?

Haha then we really shouldn't bring in an Italian manager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Would you see him hanging around for 3 years?

I would hope so yes.

Because our Spanish and south American players have been so bad?

Because they will want to leave. We need players that will be happy to stay in England. That's why I think United have done so well with martial.(if he works out). The draw to barca/real won't be as big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It's just hard to ignore that start to the season. It's not like they've played Real or Barca. Only scored 2 goals against Levante and Celta, no wins yet, 8 goals conceded and just lost 2-0 to a newly promoted team Las Palmas.

That's worse than Liverpool's start!
    So he'll be free fairly soon?:pac:

• Advertisement

Back to back Europa League wins?

Yeah but finished outside the top 4 in each of those seasons and very unlikely he'd win it with Liverpool. I'd prefer somebody who can get results in the league - fair enough you say he plays fantastic football these days but when that doesn't translate to goals scored and you see them rooted to the bottom of La Liga then it's starting to look just like Liverpool

Because they will want to leave. We need players that will be happy to stay in England. That's why I think United have done so well with martial.(if he works out). The draw to barca/real won't be as big.

So you don't want to sign the best possible players because they will want to leave?

We need the best possible players period. This changes all the time, it was french player when arsenal were strong, Spanish when rafa and lfc did well in Europe.

We cannot limit and already limited market

So you don't want to sign the best possible players because they will want to leave?

I think you are missing the point. What other manager would you like to see at Liverpool?

I think you are missing the point. What other manager would you like to see at Liverpool?

This is why I am cautious when it comes to change. It reminds me of the Brian kerr situation. I was happy for kerr to go providing ireland got a better man in, the rest is history.

Not sold on carlo or klopp

T-K-O wrote: »
    This is why I am cautious when it comes to change. It reminds me of the Brian kerr situation. I was happy for kerr to go providing ireland got a better man in, the rest is history.

Of either of them klopp seems the better fit. His style would suit the premiership and he is used to working with a small budget. He may be able to draw German players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I look forward to the day again when we have a manager who stands up for the club and his players, treats the tabloid press with the relative contempt it deserves, isn't afraid to call out other managers/clubs and is generally disliked by everyone outside of Anfield. Tactics would be nice too..

Some people seemed to find Kenny's treatment of the media "embarrassing".

He treated them with the contempt they deserve and I loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Imagine, if you will, a man. A man of many names. Pleased to present for your consideration the man with many names, serious and successful star of over thirty thousand posts, who is not quite all right today. And in just a moment, our hero will continue his personal one-man rebellion against the mechanics of his age, and to do so he will enlist certain aids available only in the Twilight Zone. That aid is the belief that Mr Brendan Rodgers is a better option for managing Liverpool football club that a serial winner of trophies. One Mister Ancelotti. Prepare to pass through the Scary Door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Of either of them klopp seems the better fit. His style would suit the premiership and he is used to working with a small budget.
    So now LFC have a small budget? Compared to who? Relative to Utd, Chelsea and City we may have a smaller budget but that's about it and with the new stadium income etc we should be closing the gap or at least putting some clear water between us and Spurs leaving us to compete (effectively) with Arsenal in terms of budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Seeing some of the personal abuse he has received online over the last few days from lowlives is absolutely sickening too, he is only human after all.
    I'm not defending the abuse of the manager but it is nothing new. The treatment of Rodgers is no worse than that received by previous managers. In February 2004, somebody daubed "F@ck 0ff Houllier Hope You Die Of AIDS" on the walls of Melwood which is a different level to the abuse Rodgers receives.

klose wrote: »
    How can people say they don't want ancelotti :confused:
    It's only four simple words ...

"I don't want Ancelotti"

Phonetically it goes something like ...

Aye dˈou-nt wˈɑnt Ann-che-lot-ee

So now LFC have a small budget? Compared to who? Relative to Utd, Chelsea and City we may have a smaller budget but that's about it and with the new stadium income etc we should be closing the gap or at least putting some clear water between us and Spurs leaving us to compete (effectively) with Arsenal in terms of budget.

Smaller I should have said. My point stands

Small Budget?

Cmon.

The money is pissed up against the wall no doubt but it's definitely not small

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Small Budget?

Cmon.

The money is pissed up against the wall no doubt but it's definitely not small

We have a decent budget but..we can't out pay our epl rivals and we cannot offer success ala Juve,bayern etc.

Of course we can do a lot ether but it's no easy task for any manager

T-K-O wrote: »
    I don't think FSG would appoint either of them - Frank de Boer is who they approached previously. He's getting a bit frustrated at Ajax judging by the comments he has made in recent months about the club not being able to compete in Europe due to financials.

• Advertisement

Talisman wrote: »
    I don't think FSG would appoint either of them - Frank de Boer is who they approached previously. He's getting a bit frustrated at Ajax judging by the comments he has made in recent months about the club not being able to compete in Europe due to financials.

De Boer could be a good signing. He has done some good work with Ajax. They are enjoyable to watch. Also he could bring in some dutch talent.

I have a long standing bet on him being next Arsenal manager. He's an excellent coach but I don't think he'd leave for Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

What about Guus Hiddink? I always liked the style his teams play and to please those who don't rate Ancelotti for only winning 3 league titles, this guy has won a few more.
    Obviously his wage demands would make FSG queasy.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    What about Guus Hiddink? I always liked the style his teams play and to please those who don't rate Ancelotti for only winning 3 league titles, this guy has won a few more.

There was a time yes. Not so sure any more. Is he gone off the boil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

klose wrote: »
    How can people say they don't want ancelotti :confused:

Because the bulk of his success has been at clubs where his squad was better than, or at least on par with anyone else in the league. That won't be the case at Liverpool.

I'd have Ancelotti over Rodgers, but I'd certainly have doubts, not over his ability, but regarding his suitability for this job. No different to the likes of Wenger or Guadiola being unsuitable for jobs where the aim is to avoid relegation

• Advertisement

I have a long standing bet on him being next Arsenal manager. He's an excellent coach but I don't think he'd leave for Liverpool
    Last March he said he'd consider it.

Ajax boss Frank de Boer continues to flirt with managing Liverpool or Tottenham Hotspur
    "If I get an offer from a club in the future, I will consider the possibility and then follow my feeling. I look at whether it's a club where I think I can present myself well and where I'll be able to act in the way I like.

"Before, there was potential interest from Monaco as well, but it wasn't something I was looking for at that moment. Liverpool and Spurs are clubs I could manage.

"At the time [in 2012], I felt I wasn't ready for a move abroad. I had just started at Ajax, and I was not finished here at all. Liverpool approached me in the same way Tottenham did this year, wanting to hold exploratory talks first."

I would think the exploratory talks have already taken place with whom ever is the preferred candidate to replace Rodgers.

Of course that hasn't been helped by his failure to get them into the CL. That's the priority at a club like Ajax, and he failed in that regard this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

OwaynOTT wrote: »

Spent force...

Honestly can't understand how anyone wouldn't want Carlo. His track record is all about getting the best out of the players he's got. If the players are good enough to win titles or cups he wins them. I honestly think if we performed to our ability we're a top 4 squad or at least very very close to it and not making it would require the other rivals to all play at a similar high level. Carlo would be the perfect manager for us. A really steady hand which tbh is what we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Aye...fairly sure i typed"nearly" but obviously didn't but in saying that wouldn't have minded if you had a read my post and commented on general sentiment of the post but i understand your immediate "shot down" of my post...
    seems to be the norm in this form.
    I always read the post and read between the grammar mistakes and try to get at what some one is trying to discuss...

few pints? yes ..did i mean what i tried to say. **** yeah

Bit sensitive m8, just having a laff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Regarding Ancelotti. He took over Milan when they were 6th in Serie A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,491 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I hate when people come out after we play West Ham and Norwich and say
    '' Liverpool just can't compete with Man United , Chelsea or Man City''

We played West Ham and Norwich !

How Man City can affect what we do is beyond me. We play them once away from home in league, they can have those 3pts for all I care. What we do, how we perform in up to us, no one can influence us, no one can stop us beating Villa except us or Villa !

MD1990 wrote: »
    Regarding Ancelotti. He took over Milan when they were 6th in Serie A.

And Harry Redknapp took over Spurs when they were in the relegation zone. It doesn't mean the squad was that bad, just that the previous manager was having a 'mare.

Milan had the likes of Shevchenko, Gattusso, Rui Costa, Maldini, Inzaghi etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,491 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

“I hate to see managers come and go at Liverpool.
    “You want continuity. Man United got where they did because they had Fergie there for 20-odd years.

“The longer you keep a manager, the better nick your club is going to be in, so let’s hope he can turn it around. It is going to be hard for him, but it’s been done before.
    “Alex Ferguson nearly got the sack at one given time. It can be done, so let’s hope he can do it.”

Aldridge admits that the fans have turned against Rodgers, but he believes that the 42-year-old still has the support of his players.

“The players are actually playing for the manager,” he said.
    “They are trying their damnedest to get over the line and win games but it is just not happening. You get situations like this where it just doesn’t happen for you. “
    Aldridge, however, knows that the calls for Rodgers to go will grow louder if Liverpool fail to beat Villa on Saturday.

“If he struggles today, the knives are going to come out and it is going to be all over the papers on Monday,” he said.
    “It has come to that time now where he desperately needs a win.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Was thinking if they do decide to pull the trigger on Rodgers soon an appointment like a Michael laudrup wouldn't not suprise me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Fair play

EaLLyp3.png

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement