Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an ie domain and Weebly

Options
  • 04-09-2015 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

I'd like to buy an ie domain. I am going to use Weebly as it's the one I'm most familiar with, but I'm open to other programs. (I'll be using it to offer a professional service)

Essentially, I'd like to have the lowest-cost www.domainname.ie address. Do I need the bells and whistles that Registrars offer if I'm using Weebly? (Weebly has a function to buy .com, .net and .org domains, but not .ie domains)

IE Domain Registration Price Comparison

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

What bells and whistles are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

smash wrote: »
    What bells and whistles are you talking about?

Paying €100 for hosting for five years. Can I get by without that and just buy the domain on its own and use Weebly?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Paying €100 for hosting for five years. Can I get by without that and just buy the domain on its own and use Weebly?

Yup, just buy the domain.

Google: weebly own domain

Weebly isn't great but it's better than no website. Have you thought about email though. Weebly don't offer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Graham wrote: »
    Yup, just buy the domain.

Google: weebly own domain

Weebly isn't great but it's better than no website. Have you thought about email though. Weebly don't offer it.

I was thinking I could use a gmail address and link it to the Weebly site? If that's not possible, what free website à la Weebly would you recommend over it?

For email you're probably going to need a paid service if you want to use your own domain. For commerce, you will want an gaiscioch@gaisciochDomain.com not an @gmail.com address. Microsoft and Google both have an email offering for around a fiver a month per user for email using your own domain name.

If all you want is a static website with a couple of forms, maybe take a look at webflow.com, you still have a choice of templates/designs but you can move your site to another host in the future.

If you need e-commerce or anything more involved, WordPress would be another option but is more technically involved.

What sort of thing do you want on your site?

• Advertisement

After getting domain, point mx, etc and use zoho and then add it to your gmail and avail of its spam features.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you want to avoid the paperwork with .ie domains you could register a .irish domain instead.

Paypal isn't the cheapest way to take money online, though it's probably one of the easiest to setup.

There are plenty of web designers / developers who would be able to setup a simple and attractive site.

Going down the DIY route is always an option, as you've seen, but you might be better off getting all the tools you need in one place.

Blacknight wrote: »
    Going down the DIY route is always an option, as you've seen, but you might be better off getting all the tools you need in one place.

I've never been able/willing to recommend the single provider route as the combo offerings have always been severely lacking in at least one of the areas.

The weakness with the Irish offerings has historically been the poor web builders but I can see there's been a fairly significant upgrade from at least one of the Irish providers. There's no mention of email though, I wonder if that's an omission from the feature list or is email excluded from the offering?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Graham wrote: »
    There's no mention of email though, I wonder if that's an omission from the feature list or is email excluded from the offering?

It's separate / an addon since there's a choice of options now. Simple webmail vs Office 365 up to and including Office 365 with full versions of the desktop software

Advertisement