Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you advise on garden location?

Options
  • 04-09-2015 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi We are looking at the house in 42 oak way can you advise ? I think the garden is north facing which would be a bummer for me but my husband say its east and that is a great house. I love my sun in the evenings, would this orientation put you off this house?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jusspy

Would north east (more east ) put you off this house? Would I need to have a look at the evenings would there be any sun left in the garden? But Winter sun is lower then Summer so what would you think? This house is on the market for over 3 months and no body bought it yet so I wonder would this be a turn off factor for most people?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Swings and roundabouts.

It's clear enough that the current owners don't regard it as a "gardener's garden", but have done a good job in making it presentable. Note the patio at the far end, presumably to catch the evening sun.

The front room will be sunlit.

How that suits depends on your lifestyle. Children don't care greatly about being in direct sun, and it might be better if their play area were shaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wench

This site will let you see the path of the sun for that location.
    You can change the date at the top to see what its like at different times of the year, and then the time slider moves you through the day.

http://suncalc.net/#/53.3124,-6.4016,17/2015.09.04/12:00

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

We have had two houses with westerly facing gardens for evening sun.
    This year we bought a house with an easterly facing back garden but because of the South facing side we actually got sun all day & until nearly 7pm during this summer (when the sun shone). I was very pleasantly surprised.
    If the house you are looking at has a true north facing garden it would put me off to be honest.
    You need to view the house at different times of the day to judge it properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

For me it's a deal breaker but only because I lived in a house with this aspect for 8 years . I never sat out the back in that time In the evening as there was only one corner actually got the sun.

When I bought my current house wouldn't even view others with this aspect because of it

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Yeah, I'd have to say this would be a dealbreaker for me. My apartment is north/east facing, but the way the balcony is, we have direct sunlight for a few hours in the day, but we're lucky in that the angle of the building means that even though it's not in direct sun for the rest of the day, it's actually still bright and pleasant to sit out on. However, if I was forking out for a house and a garden, I'd definitely be ruling out something with the aspect. Looking at the picture in the advert I think the garden looks very dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Pac2015

It's everyone to their own my husband insists on 3 things, south facing garden, a fireplace and near Luas or bus stops.
    Everything else he could not care about.

Advertisement