Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Government consultation on renewables closing

• 04-09-2015 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

The government is currently engaged in a consultation process on the make up of the renewable aspect of electricity generation. The main focus seems to be to support companies who will use wind farms, biomass power stations etc to contribute towards the renewable targets. This is from the consultation paper on the DCENR website www.dcenr.ie.

7.3 Currently there are no explicit minimum thresholds for the size of an installation but there is an upper threshold for access to the REFIT support tariffs. Predominantly the projects seeking support have been larger in nature, i.e. for the large wind category. However, there have been ongoing representations in relation to microgeneration and smaller community based projects. The potential of providing a support scheme to this sector merits consideration. The outcome of the technology review will inform the potential for categorisation of smaller generation."

So it looks like this may be an opportunity for those who would like to see feed in tarrifs re-introduced to have a say. However the deadline for submissions in next week, Sept 11th!

I am trying to get something together by way of a response to this consultation. Anybody here interested or able to help?

I currently have PV for which I get no FIT but I don't know how many people in Ireland have microgeneration systems, PV, wind turbines, micro hydro etc. and it might help in arguing the case to have some idea of numbers and to get as man as possible to submit something to this consultation.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭joeirish

The consultation process is about the close on Sept 11, so only a few days. Details can be found at http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/energy/en-ie...sultation.aspx and submissions can be emailed to ress@dcenr.gov.ie

Encourage anybody you know to make a submission in support of small scale domestic microgeneration systems and reinstatement of FiT.

Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

done today

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

There is also a petition from Friends of the Earth on this that you can sign HERE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

OK. ..so,what's next then !?

rolion wrote: »
    I guess sit and wait. BUT....

Some people haven't been waiting for the consultation period to end and have already sought planning permission for huge solar parks. See here.

Which calls into question whether the consultation process is a done deal, and if people with friends in low places (or even Lowry places) have a heads up on what is coming down the track.

Two companies are already snapping up land and signing deals with farmers for solar parks. If you want solar to be a microgeneration rather than megageneration issue, time to voice an opinion. The consultation period has been extended to Sept 18th. See here.

• Advertisement

rolion wrote: »

Well I set up a facebook page and so far just over 100 people have 'Liked' it. I am trying to get a large number of people to show their support and then we can all start lobbying our TDs saying something like "Do you realise that there are XXX people who have renewable energy systems in their houses. Each household has more than one voter. Would you commit to fighting for the reinstatement of FiT and we will spread the work about your intentions on this." Or something along those lines. But for this type of lobbying to work it will require more than 100 people to start working together. So please Like the page, add something on it about you own system and help to encourage others to do the same.

There is an election coming soon!

Joe

joeirish wrote: »
    Well I set up a facebook page and so far just over 100 people have 'Liked' it. I am trying to get a large number of people to show their support and then we can all start lobbying our TDs saying something like "Do you realise that there are XXX people who have renewable energy systems in their houses. Each household has more than one voter. Would you commit to fighting for the reinstatement of FiT and we will spread the work about your intentions on this." Or something along those lines. But for this type of lobbying to work it will require more than 100 people to start working together. So please Like the page, add something on it about you own system and help to encourage others to do the same.

There is an election coming soon!

Joe

Hi Joe,

Thanks for update...good intention and keep up the pressure.
    I'm holding in buying a full system,waiting for FiT outcome.

I never had / will have a facebork account but I "like" your enthusiasm! :)

Thanks.

I'm thinking of setting up an online petition for those who are in support of this 'campaign'. I'll let Boards members know once this is up and running.

Maybe a quick email or letter to your TD asking that he tries to find out when or if the government is going to reintroduce FiT as you are holding off buying a system until you know. The more who hold off the less money and jobs for the installers.

Anybody else holding off for the same reason?

Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Yep

Joe
    Absolutely. I have a system under the old 19c tariff, shortly to be discontinued, but if anyone is looking to retrofit, we recommend not to bother. Lots of companies actively selling retrofit systems are spinning a bit of a yarn on the payback.

The only retrofit potential with a respectable payback time is a business using enough power to self-consume all their systems's output.

• Advertisement

And not far from here...tax on Sun ! :)
    http://www.taxationinfonews.com/2015/10/spain-to-enact-sun-tax/

MADRID – The solar energy industry in Spain is about to take a significant hit, as the government sets forward to implement new taxes on solar generation facilities.

On October 9th the government of Spain announced that in the near future a new set of tax rules will be implemented regarding solar energy generation and installation.

While the full set of official is yet to be announced, it has been indicated that separate tax regulations will be implemented based on the potential production capacity of the installation, with different tiers for panels producing less than 10kW, those producing between 10kW and 100kW, and large-scale installations with potential capacity of 100kW...

And more....as our Sun's synchronized with UK, take few minutes to read this story here:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/oct/20/solar-power-in-crisis-panels-generate-power-government-subsidy

Regards

Advertisement