Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior cert study/ how to get all a's

Options
  • 04-09-2015 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm doing my junior cert this year. My teachers have told us to study three hours every day, which I find unrealistic with the amount of homework I get everyday. I'm not that nervous or stressed yet but maybe I will get stressed near the mocks. I'm thinking of starting next week and studying an hour a day. I've made myself a plan so I won't be stressed out. My parents are really strict and want a's all the time. I don't take the pressure they give to get a's all the time but I always try my best. My grades have been very good I've been studying since first year. Not to brag. I get a's and now and again I'll get b's.
    So does anyone have tips for each subject I do what everyone does then home ec,business and German. Is the junior cert as hard as everyone makes it out to be? Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Listen properly in class
    • Do not leave a class not understanding something
    • Make sure any practicals/orals are as good as you can make them
    • Sit away from anyone who thinks it's all a doss
    • Do every piece of homework as if it was an exam question

Three hours on top of homework is excessive for Junior Cert.. I would say your teachers were probably saying that to frighten the dossers in the class (and there are always some) who will rock up to the school in June next year saying 'What exam do we have today?'. Such people might be a bit of a laugh, but it's laughing at them - nobody really wants to be them next June, or more especially, next September.

The Junior is important in that it is the first State exam you will do on your own. This frightens some people and they decide not to work so that if they fail (as they think they will) they can say 'well I didn't do any work anyhow'. It's also the reason that it is designed as an exam for you to do well. If you put in the work, you will get good marks. Sometimes if you don't put in the work, you can get good marks, but that's not a great foundation to build on.

It's worth putting in the work at JC as it's the foundation you build your Leaving on. Much of the LC courses take as a starting point the JC course, so if you know that well you are off to a good start.

For an A in English, read different types of books and then read some more. Actually just read in general, it will improve your writing skills and that helps in almost all subjects and in life too.

All As is quite possible for a literate, motivated student.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

spurious is absolutely spot on.

I did my Junior Cert in June of this year and if you have worked consistently since 1st year you'll be well able for it. There's no need for 3 hours of study, in my opinion. Study well for class tests and do a bit of revision every night and you'll be fine.

If your teacher tells you to memorise something like a poem, memorise it well and keep going over it as you're coming up to the exams. It's a huge relief to have your poems, story summaries, maths theories etc learned off earlier in the year because you just have to go over them to keep them fresh.

Familiarise yourself with the exam papers and the style of questions that tend to be asked. A couple of nights before each exam, go through the papers and check that you'd be able to answer most/all the questions in them. If there's something you haven't been taught, ask your teacher or check online for tutorials.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Rorok

Read every question properly my teacher is making us all do an entire test again, for homework because we didn't read a question right >:|

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

I'd have to say that three hours in total a night might be more realistic as a goal. That might not happen every night but to achieve high grades this would certainly help.

Excessive study in the run up to the junior cert might not actually help a student in the run up to the leaving cert. If someone is going for very high points in leaving cert 3 hours a night is often required and some work at the weekends.

I'd always say especially up to the junior cert to maintain a balance, attending sport or exercising is vital to keeping the whole system going.

I'd say any high grade you get in the junior cert does lay a good foundation for the leaving cert.

I know some students that tried hard to get all A's in the junior cert but it did not happen for them despite hard work. They still though would have learned a lot from that and it'd give them experience of what they are capable of and what they can achieve.

Good luck!!

Advertisement