Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC power loss

Options
  • 04-09-2015 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭

We have UPC installed in the house for TV and broadband. The broadband has been acting up so had a technician out today. The modem is located in a new extension in the house. From what I remember as the extension was being built the electrician 'built in' all the wiring that was needed to bring UPC to the extension - I'm guessing in the walls but not sure. He did this from the existing main point in the house. When the extension was finished UPC came out and then used his wiring to finish the installation and get our service working fully.

Anyway now UPC are saying there is a big drop in service for the broadband between the main point and the point in the extension. I think he mentioned 12db if that sounds right. So he thinks there's an issue with the wires between he two points. He reckons we're lucky to be getting any broadband service from the point.

What I'm wondering is whether the electrician would be able to do anything to help this or to trace the wires or would that involve needing to get in at wires in the walls? UPC have said they can run a cable from the main board outside but it would mean a fairly unsightly thick black cable all up the outside of the house. We'll do this if needs be but if there was an option not to it'd be great.

I will give the electrician a ring but not til Monday so was curious in the meantime? Any advice would be great!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

sillysocks wrote: »
    We have UPC installed in the house for TV and broadband. The broadband has been acting up so had a technician out today. The modem is located in a new extension in the house. From what I remember as the extension was being built the electrician 'built in' all the wiring that was needed to bring UPC to the extension - I'm guessing in the walls but not sure. He did this from the existing main point in the house. When the extension was finished UPC came out and then used his wiring to finish the installation and get our service working fully.

Anyway now UPC are saying there is a big drop in service for the broadband between the main point and the point in the extension. I think he mentioned 12db if that sounds right. So he thinks there's an issue with the wires between he two points. He reckons we're lucky to be getting any broadband service from the point.

What I'm wondering is whether the electrician would be able to do anything to help this or to trace the wires or would that involve needing to get in at wires in the walls? UPC have said they can run a cable from the main board outside but it would mean a fairly unsightly thick black cable all up the outside of the house. We'll do this if needs be but if there was an option not to it'd be great.

I will give the electrician a ring but not til Monday so was curious in the meantime? Any advice would be great!

I would suggest putting the modem at the main point it will always be the best connection distribute internet wirelessly, over rj45 or with mains adapters.

All cable will have a loss as will connectors and wallplates. 12db is equivalent to about 50m of decent cable plus connectors plus wallplate losses.

If theres a lot less than 50m of cable could be loose connection, shield wire shorted to core, wire shield not making contact in connector or wallplate, wrong coax, coax kinked or otherwise damaged, wrong wallplate some have capacitors in them etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I would suggest putting the modem at the main point it will always be the best connection distribute internet wirelessly, over rj45 or with mains adapters.

All cable will have a loss as will connectors and wallplates. 12db is equivalent to about 50m of decent cable plus connectors plus wallplate losses.

If theres a lot less than 50m of cable could be loose connection, shield wire shorted to core, wire shield not making contact in connector or wallplate, wrong coax, coax kinked or otherwise damaged, wrong wallplate some have capacitors in them etc. etc.

Thanks for the reply. I know it'd be better to have modem at main point but I work from home so have the modem in the office so I can use a wired connection when I'm working.

The distance from one point to the other is only about 4m as crow flies, I'd guess maybe 7/8 max going along the walls.

If the issue turned out to be one of the things you've mentioned is that something which could be rectified without doing damage to walls/ceilings or is it pretty much nothing could be done once cables are built in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Another thing the UPC guy mentioned was that when he disconnected the wires from the UPC box the connection point was still slightly live, he said nothing that would cause anyone major damage but enough that you'd feel it on your finger. He also put this down to something being wrong with the cables but it's at the main point so not sure if that'd be the new cables or cables from road to the point.

Advertisement