Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Help

Options
  • 04-09-2015 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭

Lads and Ladies I need help.

Basically ive never set up a network before. Im working for a tiny company and when I mean tiny i mean me and three others so i'm the most IT savvy in the office so i end up being the IT guy.

We got a server from dell the other day and it has Microsoft Server 2012 on it. I setup an Active Domain on it and now here is where the fun starts. I havent a clue what im doing next because we are getting our internet via a UPC Cisco Modem and when i run Ipconfig on one of the trees in the forest (ie my laptop), its looking to that modem for the DHCP and not the Server.

To be fair ive probably missed a step or two. Have ye got any advice.

How its wired is as follows:

1. Cat 6 cable to Switch from Modem.
    2. Cat6 cables to all computers to switch.
    3. I just plugged in the Server to the Switch.
    4. Help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Ideally you need something between the UPC Cisco Modem and the switch

a) to block DHCP from the UPC Cisco Modem

( you can disable DHCP on the UPC Cisco Modem but what happens if someone resets it/ replaces it ? )

b) bit of firewalling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

gctest50 wrote: »
    Ideally you need something between the UPC Cisco Modem and the switch

a) to block DHCP from the UPC Cisco Modem

( you can disable DHCP on the UPC Cisco Modem but what happens if someone resets it/ replaces it ? )

b) bit of firewalling

See the modem branches off to supply the whole building with internet so (i know) so I cant actually switch it off.

Is there a way that the computers can access the net from the switch and also have access to the server? Or do it need everything to route through the server and then have the server provide the internet connection to the trees?

cronin_j wrote: »
    See the modem branches off to supply the whole building with internet so (i know) so I cant actually switch it off.

you definitely need something between the modem and your switch so

gctest50 wrote: »
    you definitely need something between the modem and your switch so

Whats that something?

A little hardware firewall device - get one that can do VPNs too and you'd be able to "work from home " etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Get somebody who knows what they are doing before you break things further. Don't "get" a firewall when you have no concept of NAT, routing or switching. It won't fix your issue, it will further compound it.

Get somebody who knows what they are doing before you break things further.

Hold on, I haven't broken anything! I was asking for advice on how to set it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Hold on, I haven't broken anything! I was asking for advice on how to set it up.

Get a professional, what you're asking is not the job for a novice with no networking knowledge

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

You need a firewall between your switch and the UPC modem to prevent other people in your building accessing your network.

These vary in price, for an SME Ilike the Billion 7800DXL router but others would go with Sonicwall etc which are more feature rich.

If you want it to work well, either 1) get a professional in or outsourcing company in. Or 2) Do it yourself but learn it, learn Server 2012 and networking.

If you don't know how a firewall works maybe get someone to do this for you and if you're interested, get a book on it and watch the pro set it up (good idea so you understand the setup).

What do you want out of the server?

Mr. G wrote: »
    You need a firewall between your switch and the UPC modem to prevent other people in your building accessing your network.

These vary in price, for an SME Ilike the Billion 7800DXL router but others would go with Sonicwall etc which are more feature rich.

If you want it to work well, either 1) get a professional in or outsourcing company in. Or 2) Do it yourself but learn it, learn Server 2012 and networking.

If you don't know how a firewall works maybe get someone to do this for you and if you're interested, get a book on it and watch the pro set it up (good idea so you understand the setup).

What do you want out of the server?

Thanks MR. G, I knew we needed a Firewall as to be honest the way the building is setup is a shambles, but I didnt know I needed one straight away. I will certainly call in someone to look at it to be honest as its a step too far for me and the cost benefit to the company is low.

As you have said trying to learn is one of the reasons I posted here. I have a keen interest in this kinda thing and this is the first challenge I came across that I couldn't fix with a quick bit of learning. I understand what all the components are and would certainly be able to set one up if i watched someone else. I was just wondering if it was something simple I was missing out.

Out of the server all i need it to do is be seen by the other computers and that I can access its harddrive from all of them. We need to put a network version of a standalone software we are using as we have grown a bit in the last year and we might be adding more staff so the network version of the software is required to make the place work better.

I migrated all our data to Microsoft365 earlier this year and that manages our emails and data as some lads work remotely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

. I will certainly call in someone to look at it to be honest as its a step too far for me and the cost benefit to the company is low.

As

I really don't understand this attitude. I am not in networking but at the moment all you equipment is exposed to anyone in the building. How can the cost benefit possibly be any higher if a breach could destroy your company?

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    I really don't understand this attitude. I am not in networking but at the moment all you equipment is exposed to anyone in the building. How can the cost benefit possibly be any higher if a breach could destroy your company?

The cost benefit to the company is low for me to do it that's all i meant. As in my boss didn't realise the ramifications of the way the place is wired and i had to inform him of this.

None of our data is held on any place that can be accessed without access to our microsoft365 accounts. The building is also empty but we are hearing rumours of others taking offices so this is why all this is a priority. Also I am the only one with access to the active equipment. All the other data points in the building are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You're trying to run two DHCP servers on the same subnet on a shared network with other companies. While I don't doubt you can learn, the concepts of what you would like to happen, how it should work, how it could work and what will or won't break it are currently far out of your reach. At some point your company will need to engage the services of a professional, the longer you leave it the worse it will be at the end.

You're trying to run two DHCP servers on the same subnet on a shared network with other companies. While I don't doubt you can learn, the concepts of what you would like to happen, how it should work, how it could work and what will or won't break it are currently far out of your reach. At some point your company will need to engage the services of a professional, the longer you leave it the worse it will be at the end.

Thats no problem, I was concerned I was missing a step or two, not half the marathon, which appears to be the case from everyones answers!

Advertisement