Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN

• 04-09-2015 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭

Many on here playing it? I've play all them in the series as far back as the first one on ps one for me this is probably the best one yet but can't say for sure as I've only 3% complete. It carries through all the elements of the previous games and I love how it lets you choose weather to go in quiet or all guns blazing this and GTA V are the only games I would consider paying "full price" for as they are simply worth it. Overall i'm really enjoying this game (it has it all). So what are your opinions? dose this game live up to it's expectation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Yeah its a brilliant game and runs flawlessly on PC a very fine port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

It lives up to the hype, and then some... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Maybe you want a new thread specifically in the PC Gaming forum but there is a general thread for MGSV here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057075652&page=37

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Yeah feels like it's worth the price I'm not regretting my purchase at all so far.

Nothing too PC-specific wise to say since it seems the same across all platforms. Other than that there will be a lot of gamepad users online later playing against KB/M. I gotta say... I don't think I could ever go back to gamepad for this game.

I'll post my graphic settings later. It's crazy how good this game looks and the massive draw-distance while maintaining 60fps consistently. No performance problems at all and I'm always playing this game while streaming which usually makes it more taxing on my system but nope... based FOX engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I've never really been that interested in MGS games, but what i've heard about this sounds good. Would this be a good game for me to dip my toes into the MGS series?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I've never really been that interested in MGS games, but what i've heard about this sounds good. Would this be a good game for me to dip my toes into the MGS series?

I remember playing one on ps2 years ago but not being that into it. However after seeing phantom pain at e3 and then the high ratings it got I had to get it and so far I absolutely love it. The intro scene is one of the most intense gaming moments I've ever experienced. Absolutely loving this game so I would highly recommend it even to a new person to the series.

PSA
    WARNING

Save file corruptions happening for steam users after defending their FOBs. Stay away from FOBs and backup your saves.

Only reports of the windows/steam version but can't hurt to backup your console saves, either. Local and cloud since the cloud failed for the steam users I've been reading. Scary. My friend is starting all over again. He felt the pain alright...

Thanks for that Bob, I'd been avoiding the other thread for fear of spoilers (I'm only around episode 14 or 15 now) so might've missed that completely.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

shame the companion app doesnt work for pc :( be handy calling in the chopper while hot footing it out of a base

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I know its getting rave reviews but all the clips I watch on Youtube show the player doing the exact same thing over and over again in a completely empty wasteland, it looks like its set on Mars. I only lasted an hour in Far Cry 4 I got so bored of being told to go to a place, kill everything and come back, this whole game seems to be based on that.

You're not the first person to tell me it looks like Far Cry, although he mentioned the 3rd game.

As someone who played 3 and hated it... I can say MGSV feels nothing like it to actually play it. You choose your own missions and in fact don't really have to explore open world or travel long distances you can just heli in and out for main missions and side ops.

It's set in Afganistan for the first bit... if you think that looks like a wasteland then fair enough.
    Thargor wrote: »
    I got so bored of being told to go to a place, kill everything and come back, this whole game seems to be based on that.

Outside of the prologue I don't think you need to kill anyone. If there are 'targets' you can extract them. And anyone that's not a target can be avoided completely. There's actually quite a lot of unique ways to play it but most people will play somewhat the same. My own playstyle still needs refning and getting new equipment is a big grind so it'll take a while before I have my own personal favourite loadout including buddies and vehicles (or maybe none).

It's basically Peace Walker 2 with everything we loved in 3 and 4 refined like CQC. It's the best ever if you're a big metal gear nerd. I'm personally hyped as all hell for MGO3 and the exciting possibilities that the massive amount of new metal gear, equipment, stealth options, playable story characters and huge enviornments may bring to strategic team gameplay. Stealth, action mixed with metal gear, Ocelot and Quiet shooting each other? Gimme.

Back to PC specific stuff.

You can unlock the framerate. Albeit the game seems to be optimised for 60 and assumed to be capped at that at all times since mouse/camera sensitivity is tied to FPS meaning unlocking it and having a higher and variable FPS will also equal a higher and variable aiming speed... making the game pretty much unplayable to anyone who has their sensitivity preferences down by this point. What a joke. The PCG wiki didn't mention that so I've added a warning under it.

I couldn't get it to a reliable 120fps either it seemed to hover around the 90s at MB so it'd probably drop a bit lower at night w/ rain, smoke grenades, explosions, fire and dust kickup from rolling etc. I can't believe it but I'm actually leaving it capped at 60. I suppose I can't complain. At least it's 60fps optimised and not 30 (looking at you witcher 3).

My GPU CP AA overerride is not working. I can't seem to change the game's anti-alisaing technique to one I want and I'll be fecked if I'm putting 'Post Processing' to max which turns on the dreaded blur-aflicting FXAA. I'm not sure if the override isn't working because I'm rendering borderless windowed.

Anyone else think it's a load of **** that the build-times for things don't progress when you're not in the game? That's like the exact opposite of everything F2P games have taught me. It encourages AFK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

...what. ...a .....game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Watching folk on Twitch has me interested. Loved the PS one game and the PS2 game but never kept up playing them.

I saw on Twitch someone playing MGS sons of liberty and it looked fantastic. Did they re release that on PC or something ?

No re-release as far as I know on SOL. Maybe he was just playing with some graphic mods, resolution hacks... something like that perhaps.

Double post for another PSA.

Seems like there's hackers in FoB and Konami isn't really responding to ANYTHING posted in the steam forums so this could take ****ing ages to get sorted, who knows.

These hackers might also be the cause of corrupting save files either directly or indirectly. Stay sharp.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Thargor wrote: »
    I know its getting rave reviews but all the clips I watch on Youtube show the player doing the exact same thing over and over again in a completely empty wasteland, it looks like its set on Mars. I only lasted an hour in Far Cry 4 I got so bored of being told to go to a place, kill everything and come back, this whole game seems to be based on that.

It's actually feels closer to FarCry 2, a highly underrated game. I also got a distinct FEAR vibe off the prologue.

Unlike FC2 however the action is split up into episodes which you can tackle multiple times an a variety of ways and times. Go in at noon chopper guns blazing or in the dead of night like a ghost unseen. Or collect all the things.

It's definitely got a lot of open world games tropes going on but it does it damn well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

PcGamer gave it 93%. May actually pick it up in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm kind of surprised at all the high scores. It's a good game, but I don't see it as the masterpiece sites like PC Gamer are claiming it to be. It's well worth picking up (the noise a sheep makes when you fulton them is worth the price alone!), but it's underneath the few fun gimmicks it lets you play with, there's not a whole lot there. I guess the multiplayer aspects will give it longevity for some, but I'm not particularly interested in that, myself. I just think that in a week or so I'll be done with this and will have moved on to the next game. I don't see much reason to replay the game as it pretty much has you replay most missions during the first playthrough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Folks, when does the security cost for FOB's get deducted? Is it time based, or base on number of intrusions, or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

The last one I played was Snake Eater but you're missing little. The story is mental but the gameplay is awesome!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Got this yesterday. The game is magnificent, the interface is appalling. You can't use the mouse in menus. You can't use more than 3 mouse buttons (I'm had to assign my 4 thumb buttons to keystrokes) - you can't even use non alphanumerics on the keyboard. The menu refuses to understand that I'm not using WASD despite telling me that I've changed the keys. No multimonitor support either. Very disappointed with these issues, but I can get past them to play the game which is, as I said, magnificent.

Do you have a controller Shiminay? I find it's really needed.

What's needed is a mouse in the menus. For actual gameplay KB/M is mostly fine except for the fact that you can't use any numbers after 4 for weapon/item binds. You have to hold down 4 to open a sub menu to get to Night Vision goggles etc. Hello, Konami? I do have more than 4 keys. Damn gamepad restrictions.

Also it still uses gamepad icons sometimes.

That's another thing, actually. Is anyone else finding the constant controller tutorial insanely annoying? Like every-time I get near a wall, ledge or basically anything with interaction it tells me the commands on-screen right in the damn centre. I'm 77 hours in I know the damn controls feckin' hell! Imagine if everytime Mario got near a wall it said the button to jump. The hell is going on?

No mouse in the menus is fking bull**** - it's really annoying me this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

KonFusion wrote: »
    Folks, when does the security cost for FOB's get deducted? Is it time based, or base on number of intrusions, or what?

The cost only gets deducted if a FOB intrusion is successful. If defence is successful, the cost isn't taken.
    What's needed is a mouse in the menus. For actual gameplay KB/M is mostly fine except for the fact that you can't use any numbers after 4 for weapon/item binds. You have to hold down 4 to open a sub menu to get to Night Vision goggles etc. Hello, Konami? I do have more than 4 keys. Damn gamepad restrictions.
    Shiminay wrote: »
    No mouse in the menus is fking bull**** - it's really annoying me this evening.

Non-use of the mouse in menus doesn't bother me at all - maybe I'm just used to the menus from playing GZ. I will say that the iDroid menu system is much less annoying in this than it was in GZ - the lack of content in GZ made it so laborious to do things. In TPP the content is there so it being as comprehensive as it is makes sense.

I can't see how using the mouse would make the menus better though, because all the options are just up/down/left/right. If you're using WASD then its probably more time consuming to use the mouse than to press 1-3.

And being restricted to 1-4 number keys for weapons/items actually I think is a good thing. It's staying true to its roots. Sub menus for item/weapon selection is always how its been in the MGS series - obviously enough due to limitations of controller buttons. I think changing that and allowing weapon binding would be a bad change though.
    That's another thing, actually. Is anyone else finding the constant controller tutorial insanely annoying? Like every-time I get near a wall, ledge or basically anything with interaction it tells me the commands on-screen right in the damn centre. I'm 77 hours in I know the damn controls feckin' hell! Imagine if everytime Mario got near a wall it said the button to jump. The hell is going on?

Again hasn't this always been the way in every MGS game? I've always seen it as letting you know that an action can be taken / button can be pressed / etc, rather than prompting you which button to use.

And being restricted to 1-4 number keys for weapons/items actually I think is a good thing. It's staying true to its roots. Sub menus for item/weapon selection is always how its been in the MGS series - obviously enough due to limitations of controller buttons. I think changing that and allowing weapon binding would be a bad change though.

Again hasn't this always been the way in every MGS game? I've always seen it as letting you know that an action can be taken / button can be pressed / etc, rather than prompting you which button to use.

I don't get it. You say it's a good thing but don't really explain why. It's not staying true to its roots it's just a restriction from limitations of the controllers it was designed for. Why would you ever want it to NOT use 5-0? What is it about these keys that would ruin the MGS feel? Because honestly selecting NV Goggles is a pain the feckin' arsehole. Simply pressing it doesn't work, you have to hold it down everytime and then move the mouse to it. It only works on press if you're looking through binoculars and some other contexts that I can't seem to narrow down. Point is that it doesn't work reliably when I push the key and that is just bad no matter what way you spin it... all because of that damn sub-menu.

I don't get it. You say it's a good thing but don't really explain why. It's not staying true to its roots it's just a restriction from limitations of the controllers it was designed for. Why would you ever want it to NOT use 5-0? What is it about these keys that would ruin the MGS feel? Because honestly selecting NV Goggles is a pain the feckin' arsehole. Simply pressing it doesn't work, you have to hold it down everytime and then move the mouse to it. It only works on press if you're looking through binoculars and some other contexts that I can't seem to narrow down. Point is that it doesn't work reliably when I push the key and that is just bad no matter what way you spin it... all because of that damn sub-menu.

It may be a restriction carried over from porting from consoles, but inventory menus are something that are part of the MGS DNA at this point. They're something you expect to be there, something you're used to if you've played MGS previously. Circumventing them would change the dynamic of the game somewhat. The 'inconvenience' of it also plays into the idea of tactical espionage. You have to have the forethought to choose the right thing ahead of time. Having keybinds and macros for all the items / weapons would detract from the game.

It's the same system thats been in every MGS game. Quick button presses will switch between them, holding allows you to select. Only difference is you're using a scroll wheel and number key combo rather than L2/R2 + a directional stick. If the only item you have in your inventory is NVG then a quick double press should swap to them. If there's more items it'll cycle through them without having to bring up the sub menu. I'll test it the next time I'm playing, but that's the way its worked in every other MGS including GZ.

Also the use of 1-4 is convenient from the WASD positions. 5-0 isn't convenient.

"That's the way we've always done it!" is not a valid reason to keep doing it that way.

"That's the way we've always done it cause we were hampered by the fact that this has to run on a fking controller" is more accurate, but this is PC, we have keys and mouse buttons that games have been making use of for 20 years and not using them is just laziness and nothing else. I'd have been more than happy to wait 6 months for them to finish the port properly.

• Advertisement

Shiminay wrote: »
    "That's the way we've always done it!" is not a valid reason to keep doing it that way.
    It's not ALWAYS a valid reason - but when it works well and becomes a part of what you expect from a game, and there's no actual reason to change I don't see why you would.
    "That's the way we've always done it cause we were hampered by the fact that this has to run on a fking controller" is more accurate, but this is PC, we have keys and mouse buttons that games have been making use of for 20 years and not using them is just laziness and nothing else. I'd have been more than happy to wait 6 months for them to finish the port properly.

It's not an MMO so you don't need 100 billion key binds. It's not a fast paced FPS like quake, so you don't need binds for every weapon/item. The necessity of instant switching just isn't there. And it seems like the tide is shifting towards the majority using console controllers on the PC for console ports. Personally I don't understand why you'd cripple your aiming capability, but alas people have strange preferences :pac:.

Far as I'm concerned though, it IS finished. In the 100+ hours I've already put into it, plus the hours in GZ, I've seen nothing to suggest it isn't a finished item. The fact you don't agree with their decision to leave out fully customisable key binds doesn't mean the game isn't finished.

It's not ALWAYS a valid reason - but when it works well and becomes a part of what you expect from a game, and there's no actual reason to change I don't see why you would.

There is a valid reason I just gave a good example in my last post with NV goggles. Apply that to any of the many items and there you have as many reasons to have proper binding as there are throw/place weapons and items as there are in the game.

It's not an MMO so you don't need 100 billion key binds.

We're asking for 7 more keys to be used for weapon/item binds, not 100 billion. In fact TPP already makes use of 5 and onwards depending on your buddy and when you're interrogating during CQC. In MGS3 buddy call was the action button and all it did was say follow or stop. Uh oh, MGS roots ruined I guess.

To add to that, there's 8 items available in each sub-menu making a total of 16 possible things you want to select not counting your two primary, secondaries and all the things you want to do like toggle their supressors which is another thing that's awkward as hell because of sub-menus. Instead of just pressing x for example like another game I play that removes attachments to your primary, you have to hold down 1/2 then press G or T. This is honestly quite awkward so your statement of

Also the use of 1-4 is convenient from the WASD positions. 5-0 isn't convenient.

Is no longer valid. You know what else isn't convenient? Holding down Q and pressing 7 to tell quiet start/stop cover fire while you're in a CQC grip. Holding down 2 while trying to aim with your mouse and then pressing T while moving left with A to turn your flashlight off in a dark hallway so as not to give away your position as you move into position for a shot with your tranqualiser sidearm. These are all real situations and key combinations I've had to press in the game.
    It's not a fast paced FPS like quake, so you don't need binds for every weapon/item.

There's ways more kinds of games than fast paced FPS where more binds come into play. TBS, RTS, Simulators and some 3rd person games, too. TPP might be slow paced overall but there's been hundreds of times where I needed to make split-second decisions.
    The necessity of instant switching just isn't there.

I've had many instances of needing to switch to all kinds of things. Smoke/flash grenades, vehicle mines, box. Usually I need to switch to these as soon as I can rather than later.
    And it seems like the tide is shifting towards the majority using console controllers on the PC for console ports. Personally I don't understand why you'd cripple your aiming capability, but alas people have strange preferences :pac:.

And some games have two separate menus for pad/KBM. Not enough games, though. Think Skyrim which pretty much needs the UI overhaul mod because the official one is piece of crap designed for gamepads. Then Divinity Original Sin update which is going to have 2 menus depending on your choice of input.

It's odd you don't want to cripple your aiming but do want to cripple everything else by having it limited by gamepads.

Circumventing them would change the dynamic of the game somewhat.

Yes, it would make the game more dynamic and objectively better since now you're more focussed on playing the actual game than fiddling with menus.
    You have to have the forethought to choose the right thing ahead of time. Having keybinds and macros for all the items / weapons would detract from the game.

I can't believe what I'm reading. In case you haven't noticed there's a sortie prep menu in TPP and in older games like MGS3 and 4 there were dedicated menus where you made all your preperations of what items you wanted to take. That's the preperation. And if you could bind certain parts of the submenus to actual keys it would do nothing but complement that. Remember the way MGS used pressure sensitivity to get over the lack of buttons available? Don't think for one second that they wouldn't have just used more buttons if they had access to them on the Ds2/3. Thankfully they dropped pressure sensitivty and re-worked the controls when they realised playstation was the only thing to ever use it.

Only difference is you're using a scroll wheel and number key combo rather than L2/R2 + a directional stick. If the only item you have in your inventory is NVG then a quick double press should swap to them. If there's more items it'll cycle through them without having to bring up the sub menu.

Or I could press 6. :rolleyes:

Another point, as I said, even with all my keys rebound (because WASD is dumb when there's a full keyboard around you by using RDFG instead), the game's menus are still insisting on WASD / 1-3 because they simply have not done their jobs with this port. So no, it is not finished. It did not go through proper QA for something like this to have fallen through the cracks. It's a damn sight better than most AAA rubbish that's been released over the last 3 years mind you - but it's a needless frustration that attention to detail (which I'm stunned at because attention to detail is the by-word for the way they've put this game together) was missed.

MGO3 is available now but I think you need to change your game to beta participant.

I may try it tonight if I can form up a team on mumble. I already know enough about the game and its terrible maps to not want to go in with randoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just started this and to say I have no idea whats happening is an understatement. I remember all the other MGS games always had a complecated story but this takes it to a new level, no idea whats happeing. That bit aside it plays very good. Have most people used controllor or keyboard and mouse??

Keyboard and mouse day-1 because I wanted to be ready for MGO (which is turning out to be terrible in the end) but it's also nice and handy to be able to actually aim properly... you can play without slow motion if you're quick enough like that.. Too bad the menus have to be navigated with WASD and not have a cursor. If you're going to play with a KB/M be sure to configure your keybinds and sensitivities to your exact perferences. Always better to play with tailored controls than default. Also leave v-sync off if you want your aiming to feel smoother and have less of a delay between your inputs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement