Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kitchen stuff in Brown Thomas

Options
  • 04-09-2015 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

I have a sizeable voucher for BT, went in there looking to buy some kitchen stuff for new house but couldn't bring myself to spend €130 on toaster or similar - any recommendations on kitchen stuff there that is worth the price? (expensive is fine but not stupidly wasteful).

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Coffee machine

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

good suggestions but already have good machine and grinder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Le creuset casserole dish?

We've ours the last 25 years, well worth the investment

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

We got pots and pans, Le Creuset stuff, a massive wooden butchers block type chopping board, baking trays, micro plane grater, etc in there when we had vouchers. While they have some more expensive stuff, a lot of what they have is the same price or even cheaper than other shops. If you can wait until they have a sale you'll get great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'd definitely put it towards a Le Cruesset casserole dish. I have several but had a voucher to spend recently and bought a couple of Le Crueset oven friendly frying pans of different sizes, great investment imho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Speaking of toasters, the dualits which are just under €200 are worth ever penny. Lasts for 20 years and more.

But I def agree on the le cruesets... Parents have had theirs for more than 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

nosietoes wrote: »
    Speaking of toasters, the dualits which are just under €200 are worth ever penny. Lasts for 20 years and more.

But I def agree on the le cruesets... Parents have had theirs for more than 30 years.

Strictly speaking dualit toasters last indefinitely because all parts are replaceable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Knives - they stock Global & Wusthof. Peugeot salt & pepper grinders, on the surface they look jawdroppingly expensive but you'll have them forever and your pepper will be ground to perfection. Defo the Le Creuset & a big plus one to sitting on your hands until they have a sale when all their kitchen stuff is normally between 10 & 20% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Peugeot salt & pepper grinders

We got them! It nearly killed me to spend that money (well, voucher) but it was definitely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Magimix food processor. Nice kit, should last for a long time. Kenwood chef similarly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

We got them! It nearly killed me to spend that money (well, voucher) but it was definitely worth it.

Oh nice. Jealous! I'm planning on picking up both when I get a bonus later this year. My aunt has them & I love them.

Diziet wrote: »
    Magimix food processor. Nice kit, should last for a long time. Kenwood chef similarly.

+1 for magimix and kenwood major is the the better one.

You will need both though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Go Downstairs to Tiffanys & buy yourself some gold - far better investment & will hold its value & last forever.

You can them get a dish or forks or toaster elsewhere with impunity and for a fraction of Their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Peugeot salt & pepper grinders, on the surface they look jawdroppingly expensive but you'll have them forever and your pepper will be ground to perfection.

I have a pair for a good few years now and don't rate them at all.
    The pepper mill will only work with very small peppercorns - i choose pepper for its size rather than its freshness or flavour!
    The salt mill takes way too much twisting to get any decent amount of salt.

Maybe I got duds but I wouldn't buy them again.
    I know that it won't last for ever but the plastic Lidl pink salt grinder I have is brill.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Id recommend Le Creuset toughened non stick frying pans. We've ours for years, they're used a lot and are still perfect. A number of people have bought them on my recommendation and swear by them too. Id also wait till they have a sale on as you'll get 10 - 20% off!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Go Downstairs to Tiffanys & buy yourself some gold - far better investment & will hold its value & last forever.

You can them get a dish or forks or toaster elsewhere with impunity and for a fraction of Their prices.

All that glistens is not gold

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Some of the Denby stuff is nice, I have plates and cups from their China range:
    http://www.denby.co.uk/dinnerware/china/icat/china

Just wait til it's on sale, which it is frequently (normally half-price).

I also have a few of the Le Creuset espresso cups:
    http://www.brownthomas.com/tabletop-and-bar/espresso-mug/invt/73x2159x9100721009&bklist=icat,3,brand,lecreuset,

There's generally pretty good value in the sales on a range of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

The nutribullet is expensive but was a brilliant addition to our kitchen. We use it almost every day. We also regularly use our slow cooker which also functions as a rice cooker and vegetable steamer - it's probably my favourite bit of kitchen equipment.

Also, knives. I love a good kitchen knife. The one I use all the time cost me €80 but it's well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

excellent suggestions Folks - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have a pair for a good few years now and don't rate them at all.
    The pepper mill will only work with very small peppercorns - i choose pepper for its size rather than its freshness or flavour!
    The salt mill takes way too much twisting to get any decent amount of salt.

Maybe I got duds but I wouldn't buy them again.
    I know that it won't last for ever but the plastic Lidl pink salt grinder I have is brill.
    At last, someone with the same experience as me! I also have both S and P Peugeot grinders, and they're both rubbish. I buy the plastic ones in Aldi and refill them a couple of times until they wear out (as opposed to the Lidl ones that aren't refillable). They grind very coarsely but that's the way I like 'em :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 farrell2121

We got pots and pans, Le Creuset stuff, a massive wooden butchers block type chopping board, baking trays, micro plane grater, etc in there when we had vouchers. While they have some more expensive stuff, a lot of what they have is the same price or even cheaper than other shops. If you can wait until they have a sale you'll get great value.

Agree 100%. Prices on some items are actually better than Arnotts. I Always compare the two & usually end up back in BT

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A few years back I was looking for a De Longhi bean to cup espresso machine, and BT were the cheapest for the model I was looking for. Bought some nice Denby espresso and capuccino cups too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Nespresso machine?

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Nespresso machine?

But they're rubbish, save up and get a proper espresso machine or a cafetière.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    But they're rubbish

I did the opposite. My fancy 'proper' machine is gathering dust and the nespresso is going all the time. Once you figure out your favourite coffee and get the water qty right it is as good as any coffee.

OP - if you like to cook a good stainless steel or copper deep saucier pan with no edges (must be curved where a whisk and reach everywhere) is a great investment. Your gravy, sauces, custard, risottos and even your morning porridge will never be the same again.

Advertisement