Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Random 80s computer game memory

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Anyone mention Track & Field on C64? Many a joystick was broken going for gold :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Sensible Soccer. The software team behind it left Ocean software to make this game. Who remembers Ocean today?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Commodore 64. Pressing shift and run stop then creeping out of the room as I was convinced breathing or making a sound would banjax the game loading on that freaking tape recorder thing. Broken joysticks, fist fights over joysticks. Some cheating bugger bring over a joystick with autofire.

Some great games on that format. Many summer days lost playing bubble bobble, pit stop 2, international football/soccer, Bruce lee, IK+, commando, kickstart.

Buggy boy loyal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

What was name of one , 2 dimensional plane takes off from aircraft carrier fly in land and carpet bomb a city and lane again tons of flak ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The great manic miner. Never got to finish it in the 20th cavern, got to about 17. There was an emulator online but haven't got it work in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Keplar240B wrote: »
    What was name of one , 2 dimensional plane takes off from aircraft carrier fly in land and carpet bomb a city and lane again tons of flak ?
    Harrier Attack. Classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Codename Matt. Blatant infringements on LucasArts IP with Elite style space combat and strategic map as you seek and destroy hordes of invaders in the solar system both directly and by commanding two allied squadrons.

Admiral Graf Spree. Command the Admiral Graf Spree. Be confused by whatever the criteria are that cause you to win or lose the game, and the presence of the scuttle key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Harrier Attack. Classic.

Loved this game.
    Learned to play poker on my 6128 as I had a disk my neighbour copied for me and it had a game of strip poker on it. How many hours I wasted just to see a green muff as I didn't have a colour monitor!
    Became sh1t hot at poker though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 alpha_a

Muntant Monty - CPC464 - FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrBobbyZ

Loved this game.
    Learned to play poker on my 6128 as I had a disk my neighbour copied for me and it had a game of strip poker on it. How many hours I wasted just to see a green muff as I didn't have a colour monitor!
    Became sh1t hot at poker though!

Brilliant game but I used to go rough and bomb everything quite a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Anyone else type out all that code on the Commodore 64 just so it would make a ping noise or show a green box. What language was it. Was it C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

niallo27 wrote: »
    Anyone else type out all that code on the Commodore 64 just so it would make a ping noise or show a green box. What language was it. Was it C.

I did it on the spectrum. Heady days ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

MrBobbyZ wrote: »
    Brilliant game but I used to go rough and bomb everything quite a lot.

Haha so did I!
    Also had Operation Wolf, another classic. I ordered it from some Amstrad magazine and had to send off a postal order to get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

There was a game on the NES. Nintendo Soccer or something. It was the first time I ever worked out a pattern in a game. You controlled one player, two in two player, and the computer controlled the rest of your team. My mate, on the same team, used his player to run around everywhere doing stuff and I just hung around on the edge of the area. Any time the ball came to me in the air I did an overhead kick and scored. We won the World Cup or whatever tournament was on the machine through that simple tactic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

One of the FIFA games (maybe 94?) on the Megadrive had the bug where you scored from a kick out, you had to reset the machine, it just froze! >_<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I loved FIFA on the Super Nintendo. Spent a lot of my childhood playing Kevin keegan football manager. Best game ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

timthumbni wrote: »
    Many summer days lost playing..Bruce lee....

We had every game you listed but 2 player Bruce Lee was hilarious with a mate controlling the sumo guy. It was supposed to be cooperative but often the guy playing Bruce Lee would give him a box for the craic when running past. Sumo guy would retaliate and eventually there'd be a rush to kill the on screen CPU characters so the 2 of you could get back to baiting each other, well Bruce baiting the lesser strength sumo guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

niallo27 wrote: »

It was Basic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Ghosts n goblins, or maybe it was ghouls n ghosts, on the Commodore 64. Hardest game ever. It was nigh on impossible to get further than a couple of minutes into the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

The great manic miner. Never got to finish it in the 20th cavern, got to about 17. There was an emulator online but haven't got it work in a while.

here ya go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭Daith

There was a Batman game based on the movie. I remember in the last level you could smash into a wall and get unlimited lives.

Getting pissed off that the Dungeon and Dragons game I got was nothing like the cartoon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

On the C64 (of course!):
    Boulder Dash, Uridium, Paradroid, Monty on the Run, The Castles of Doctor Creep, Impossible Mission and for the music:

What I like about Commando and other games, the C64 had 3 sound channels, which means one of them would have to stop playing background music in order to play a sound effect. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That football game on C64, where if you time it right the ball would land on your head and bounce up and down perfectly meaning you could just run the ball into the goal.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

On my commadore, midnight express would have been my favourite.

On my cousins spectrum, Panama Joe was deadly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Ace of Aces, because shooting down German's was still a right of passage in the 1980s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Sensible Soccer. The software team behind it left Ocean software to make this game. Who remembers Ocean today?

Say ocean, think robocop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Insert Turtles game in to c64, wait 10 minutes.
    • Type unique code that's listed in manual to prove you have a legit copy of game, wait 10 minutes.
    • Look at loading screen, have dinner.
    • Finish dinner, game is ready to play!

I still occasionally replay "Supremacy" the space war strategy game if I find the time. Hard not to use the "cheat" in it though when playing. Good game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

@razorblunt you could do that on Super Kick Off on the Master System too. In fact you could chip the ball up onto your own head and run the length of the field just heading it along before scoring with a final header. I remember World Soccer on the Master System too, the first soccer game I remember which genuinely changed its difficulty depending on who you were playing. If you played Japan or the USA you'd hammer them, (West) Germany or Argentina not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

Midnight Resistance still has a special place in my nostalgic heart. The theme music alone... just wow. Can still hum it on cue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

If we were going to play Bounty Bob on the 130xe, we had to get out of the room while it was loading.. Even the slightest vibration would fúck it up! 45 mins wasted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Anyone remember Blue Thunder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

The best C64 game!

This one featured a famous unorthodox cheat where you wet your finger and rubbed it on the joystick port and you would get infinite lives! I'm not taking the piss either, it actually worked :D

Other great games I played a lot were:

Midnight Resistance
    Outrun Europa
    Sly Spy Secret Agent
    Turbo Charge
    The Last Ninja
    Flimbo's Quest

Parents threw my C64 in a skip years back while doing "spring cleaning" along with my 100+ games :mad:

I just remembered! Raid Over Moscow:

That was bloody hard to play if all you had was cracked games and no instructions!
    I never paid for a single game, was lucky enough to have friends connected to several cracker groups back then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

GaryCocs wrote: »
    There was an egg character one for the C64, platform based from what I remember??

This is likely one of the areas I out-nerd most of you, if not all of you.

In my youth I not only played all of the Dizzy games going, but I ordered them and their story lines in a way that chronologically made sense, made up stuff to fill in the gaps, and then actually wrote a book called "The Adventures of Dizzy" based on that entire amalgamation.

Given the age at which I wrote it.... it was not very good at all. But not bad for a kid. I think it currently lives in a folder in an attic somewhere in my parents house in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

5rtytry56 wrote: »

Ocean made some awesome games. New Zealand Story was amazing

• Advertisement

Gauntlet on all 8 bit systems

http://www.mobygames.com/game/zx-spectrum/gauntlet

Surprised to see it went as far as Gauntlet III on the spectrum as well.

I remember trying to play snooker on my dads old work laptop. This was before they figured out how to make colour LCD screens, so it was all in black and white

Good times

Speaking of Oceean
    Terminator 2, the 1991 MS dos game was pretty cool but damn hard

The first level was a fight against the T-1000 and that was easy enough, but level 2 was a race through the dried up storm drain on the dirtbike with the 18 wheeler chasing you. I could never get past it.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Speaking of Oceean
    Terminator 2, the 1991 MS dos game was pretty cool but damn hard

The first level was a fight against the T-1000 and that was easy enough, but level 2 was a race through the dried up storm drain on the dirtbike with the 18 wheeler chasing you. I could never get past it.
    On the Atari ST version of the same game, I could get past repairing T2's hand. I could never win in the 2nd fight with the T1000 which came after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Elite - the game that taught me life was not fair..if you had cheats, you could get ahead in it, and if you could afford a disc drive, you were god...I didn't have either..

Neither did I, but I still remember one particular moment all these years later..

There I was minding my own business when I was attacked by an Asp that seemed to be blinking. After much ducking and diving I finally got him, and moved in to collect the cargo drum.

"Cloaking Device" appears on the screen. As a Star Trek fan I immediately thought "cool!" and tried to figure out how to turn it on.. in the meantime I get attacked by another ship and destroyed :mad:

Cue rewinding and reloading of tape drive.. after the 3rd attempt I finally figured it out (wasn't documented in the key guide). It was "Y" and it also allowed you to fire when cloaked like the Bird of Prey in Star Trek VI

I did actually make Elite in the end too! :) Such a great game!
    smash wrote: »
    Anyone remember Blue Thunder?

I remember the TV show...

Only lasted a season but it was FAR better than Airwolf IMO :p - there was a movie that it was based on too (a lot of the helicopter shots in the above intro are reused from the film) which was a lot darker but also very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

Anyone remember Frogger and Hunchback on the C64?

Also loved Ghosts and Goblins on the NES and a smililar game called Wizards and Warriors

http://youtu.be/DS7Cm9Rdymw

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

I remember the TV show...

Only lasted a season but it was FAR better than Airwolf IMO :p - there was a movie that it was based on too (a lot of the helicopter shots in the above intro are reused from the film) which was a lot darker but also very good.

That has Dana "Wayne's World" Carvey in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Space Pilot (Time Pilot) on the C64, getting a rage inducing forefinger/thumb blister, using it with an Atari joystick..

Loaded from a Commodore 1541.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That has Dana "Wayne's World" Carvey in it!

Yup, also Hightower from the Police Academy movies :) Episodes seem to be up on YT too

Again, got the cassette tape of a "Your Sinclair " Magazine long after other players.

720° skateboarding

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0000041

• Advertisement
Advertisement